Sign in to follow this  

Formula 1 TV Coverage Thread

fIsince08 said:
Mark my words, this could end Formula 1 altogether. Sky's viewing figures have declined 30% year on year and Channel4's figures are nowhere near BBC's, which weren't exactly brilliant either. Bernie Ecclestone continues to fail to acknowledge that a fan base - and more importantly a young fan base - is necessary if the sport is to survive.

Failing to put live F1 on FTA TV will only cause the rapid decline in viewers to continue - if not make the problem worse. We could end up with an entire generation of people failing to get into F1 and essentially bring the sport to its knees. Less viewers = less sponsors wanting to join. Less sponsors = less money for the already struggling teams. Less money = less teams. Less teams = no F1.

Just look at how the BTCC has blossomed since moving from BBC's highlights. It's now had one new manufacturer join in each of the last two seasons, signed a contract for live FTA through to 2024 and has a full 32 car grid.

Yeah I may stop watching F1 and just get into BTCC or something myself if this is the direction it takes as well. I've been watching and enjoying F1 since the early 90's but right now it's literally self destructing. I like Sky's commentary and presentation of the sport as it's really first class in my book but it's just too damn expensive.

fIsince08 said:
Mark my words, this could end Formula 1 altogether. Sky's viewing figures have declined 30% year on year and Channel4's figures are nowhere near BBC's, which weren't exactly brilliant either. Bernie Ecclestone continues to fail to acknowledge that a fan base - and more importantly a young fan base - is necessary if the sport is to survive.

Failing to put live F1 on FTA TV will only cause the rapid decline in viewers to continue - if not make the problem worse. We could end up with an entire generation of people failing to get into F1 and essentially bring the sport to its knees. Less viewers = less sponsors wanting to join. Less sponsors = less money for the already struggling teams. Less money = less teams. Less teams = no F1.

Just look at how the BTCC has blossomed since moving from BBC's highlights. It's now had one new manufacturer join in each of the last two seasons, signed a contract for live FTA through to 2024 and has a full 32 car grid.

Very good post Chris, couldn't have put it better myself.

Just when you think F1 couldn't get any more ridiculous and this happens. It's almost as if they're sitting down and coming up with ways to drive fans away. We've had so many crazy ideas that the fans simply haven't asked for in the past couple of years, for example.

Double points, standing grid restarts after a safety car, elimination qualifying, pay TV, to name a few.

It is getting on my nerves as this is my favourite sport and it has been my biggest passion since I can remember, yet it seems to just be kicking itself in the teeth all the time.

F1 needs to go back to basics in a way, it needs clear leadership, and it simply has to stay on FTA TV for it to survive. It needs the next generation of fans.

MBKF1 said:
Very good post Chris, couldn't have put it better myself.

Just when you think F1 couldn't get any more ridiculous and this happens. It's almost as if they're sitting down and coming up with ways to drive fans away. We've had so many crazy ideas that the fans simply haven't asked for in the past couple of years, for example.

Double points, standing grid restarts after a safety car, elimination qualifying, pay TV, to name a few.

It is getting on my nerves as this is my favourite sport and it has been my biggest passion since I can remember, yet it seems to just be kicking itself in the teeth all the time.

F1 needs to go back to basics in a way, it needs clear leadership, and it simply has to stay on FTA TV for it to survive. It needs the next generation of fans.
Agreed it certainly isputting itself in serious danger at the moment At least with football not only is it a bigger more popular sport it spreads itself around all the broadcasters which helps maintain interest in it F1 certainly won't be doing this if this keeps up

The other thing is, almost any kid can get themselves involved in football. All they need is a ball of any kind, and they can play and have fun for free, and joining local clubs aren't that expensive either. If they like it then they'll want to watch it on TV and they can, at least with highlights of the Premier League on BBC, but also World Cup and Champions League, which is top quality football, live on FTA TV.

Go karting on the other hand, well we all know that is expensive, and without F1 being on FTA TV, there won't be as many kids who will say 'ah I want to try that', and it will probably mean fewer bright stars of the future, because they just aren't interested.

I hate F1 sometimes, it's its own worst enemy most of the time, it only has itself to blame. It's all about money money money for FOM.

Also notice how Sky Sports F1's Twitter and website have made absolutely no reference to that GPDA letter written earlier today. Partially because that letter is probably aimed at people like them.

fIsince08 said:
Maybe once this deal kicks in we all switch over to WEC? Racing's better anyway so...
Can't, Motors TV has lost the rights to that.
Bugger. Has that happened already or happening in the future? I know they're showing the Silverstone 6 hours from start to finish live but no idea about the races after.

Edit: My bad, it isn't on Motors TV after all. Damn article was a year old lol. Looks like BT Sport have it so there's another motorsport I'll have to use an online stream for.

Without a doubt mate, considering the races are 3x longer, the racing is so much more entertaining. The only problem is it will never become popular with the casual viewer as they just don't want to watch 6 hours of racing. To be honest, neither do I. I usually just watch hour long highlights, I never watch the full 6 hours.

It's going to BT Sport, no idea when from though. Still at least BTCC is on free TV, after going to a race it's actually my favourite motorsport.

MBKF1 said:
Without a doubt mate, considering the races are 3x longer, the racing is so much more entertaining. The only problem is it will never become popular with the casual viewer as they just don't want to watch 6 hours of racing. To be honest, neither do I. I usually just watch hour long highlights, I never watch the full 6 hours.
Lol, I'm one of those people who can watch 6 hours of BTCC coverage or 6 hours of a WEC race and feel like I need more motorsport at the end ;)

maybe I'll probably try to get into BTCC or something I sometimes watch some of those races when they don't clash with F1 anyway bu tseeing as I won't get to see F1 once this kicks in. I'm going to probabl yneed an alternative. I suppose what with having Motors TV I can watch some of the motor racing they cover and see if I like what I see there.

Hughesy said:
It's going to BT Sport, no idea when from though. Still at least BTCC is on free TV, after going to a race it's actually my favourite motorsport.

guess it depends on which channel they show it on though oin my case as I still get BT sport 1 but only because my internet is with them so we get that free. Unfortunately however that is the only sports channel I have left apart from Sky Sports news

Having said that though I did hear that Sky are setting up a free sports channel for anyone that is one of their customers so that even if you don't have the Sports package you can still see some sports on there. That is for those that have a basic setup. I don't know when that will happen though or whether F1 will make an appearance on it. But it is certainly something to hope for at least.

Hughesy said:

guess it depends on which channel they show it on though oin my case as I still get BT sport 1 but only because my internet is with them so we get that free. Unfortunately however that is the only sports channel I have left apart from Sky Sports news

Having said that though I did hear that Sky are setting up a free sports channel for anyone that is one of their customers so that even if you don't have the Sports package you can still see some sports on there. That is for those that have a basic setup. I don't know when that will happen though or whether F1 will make an appearance on it. But it is certainly something to hope for at least.

You don't get it free now though. From the start of the premier league season they made everyone pay £5 a month, they did it quietly and it was opt out.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/utilities/2015/08/bt-agrees-to-refund-customers-for-unwanted-new-sports-package

MBKF1 said:
Lol, I'm one of those people who can watch 6 hours of BTCC coverage or 6 hours of a WEC race and feel like I need more motorsport at the end ;)
Agreed, the F1 race just goes away so fast.. But that's why we have the 24-hour Le Mans race ;)

mike96 said:
MBKF1 said:
Agreed, the F1 race just goes away so fast.. But that's why we have the 24-hour Le Mans race ;)
But that's only once a year :p 

MotorsTV announced this morning that they are showing WEC live this year after all

fIsince08 said:

Sky don't really care about viewership, more just subscription numbers. While they might be experiencing lower viewership now, the initial bout of new subscriptions from having F1 as a part of their service is what they want. And now just because people maybe stop watching F1, it doesn't mean they've removed their subscription, as people find other things they still like to watch on Sky Sports. 

But other than that, I agree. Bernie's position right now within F1 kind of reminds me of George Lucas with Star Wars. He created something wonderful and made the world embrace his sport/sci-fi film series in a way no other man could've done, but it's just not safe in his hands any more. 

Perhaps the the thing that best reflects that fact is these comments from the man himself 5 years ago:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/8501431/Turkish-Grand-Prix-2011-Bernie-Ecclestone-says-television-rights-deal-with-Rupert-Murdoch-would-be-suicidal.html

APR193 said:
MotorsTV announced this morning that they are showing WEC live this year after all
Great news! :) Glad that yet another motorsport isn't behind a pay wall just yet.

Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:

You don't get it free now though. From the start of the premier league season they made everyone pay £5 a month, they did it quietly and it was opt out.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/utilities/2015/08/bt-agrees-to-refund-customers-for-unwanted-new-sports-package
Actually the other channels you pay for BT Sport 1 has always been free to us though so based on this it must mean we've been moved to the BT Sport Lite pack

Ugh.... I didn't think I could dislike Sky anymore than I already did.
I'm just wondering what is meant by free to air of te British GP and the highlights of the other races. Is that on one of the Sky channels too or is it C4?

Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:

Actually the other channels you pay for BT Sport 1 has always been free to us though so based on this it must mean we've been moved to the BT Sport Lite pack
Nope, BT Sport 1 was only free for a year, once they paid stupid amounts to get Champions League football they charged everyone (I know as I have BT broadband) and they sneaked it onto your bill. Nobody has it free anymore ;)

Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:

Nope, BT Sport 1 was only free for a year, once they paid stupid amounts to get Champions League football they charged everyone (I know as I have BT broadband) and they sneaked it onto your bill. Nobody has it free anymore ;)

They trie4d to but I remember mum complained about it so they stopped with us actually. I know as I remember it happening. I know because mum is the one who pays for tt and she noticed the change so we are actually getting it free but only BT Sport 1 though

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/01/27/fans-worldwide-reveal-cost-watching-f1-2015/

Interesting read up. Never realised just how expensive watching F1 can be. And also, I can't believe how lucky I am living in Austria.
Not only do I get to watch F1 for free, but also Formula E, WEC, and MotoGP (Moto 2-3 included). Not to mention the ticket prices are relatively low as well.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/01/27/fans-worldwide-reveal-cost-watching-f1-2015/

Interesting read up. Never realised just how expensive watching F1 can be. And also, I can't believe how lucky I am living in Austria.
Not only do I get to watch F1 for free, but also Formula E, WEC, and MotoGP (Moto 2-3 included). Not to mention the ticket prices are relatively low as well.
Is your commentary in German or do you get the English commentators?