Sign in to follow this  

Formula 1 TV Coverage Thread

My only comments on the TV coverage is that the BBC are an absolute joke, with only 9 live races a year.

The only why to bypass this is to get a Sky Sports subscription which costs an absolute fortune.

Frankly I think with the BBC being one of the biggest, if not THE biggest broadcasting company in the world they should be able to show every race live like a few years ago. 

This thing which annoys me most is that I always seem to find out who has got pole/the win before I actually get to watch the race due to Facebook or The news etc. 

Really annoys me...

You can't seriously expect to not find out who's on pole/won if you're going to go browsing facebook.

Is it just me or has Suzi improved? I swear down she's more better in the role now. No longer do I hear the stumblings, the awkward pauses, the random ers and moments of thinking and other stuff that made me dislike her. She's a lot more fluent and seems to know what she's about to say rather than spending half an hour asking stupid questions. 

Has anyone else seen this or is it just me?  

Liam12d said:

Is it just me or has Suzi improved? I swear down she's more better in the role now. No longer do I hear the stumblings, the awkward pauses, the random ers and moments of thinking and other stuff that made me dislike her. She's a lot more fluent and seems to know what she's about to say rather than spending half an hour asking stupid questions. 

Just you :p

Liam12d said:

Watch her at Hungary on iPlayer and compare her to what she was like at Australia 2013, hell even Australia this year.  There is a difference and imo a some what big difference.  

I don't find her cringe worthy at all now, which I never expected to see. 

On Sky F1 they're starting a series called 'Tales from the Vault' on 24th August, where they're showing previously un-seen FOM footage, and the first episode has Christian Horner and Nigel Mansell as guests. Should be good!

Liam12d said:
Liam12d said:

Watch her at Hungary on iPlayer and compare her to what she was like at Australia 2013, hell even Australia this year.  There is a difference and imo a some what big difference.  

I don't find her cringe worthy at all now, which I never expected to see. 

She's OK now, but still isn't as good as Jake was. Give her a few years to gel with DC and EJ and she'll probably be just as good.

I don't watch the BBC coverage anymore now anyway. I got fed up of her.

yeah I've only seen the BBC show once since Sky took over and very quickly realised that Sky have got it nailed and are doing things pretty much to perfection. TBH I like the way Sky do things now on the F1 front and I'm not sure I'd want to go back.

Ben Edwards and Martin Brundle would have been a perfect pairing. Crofty's lame and Coulthard's an idiot.

Crofty uses too many cheesy lines, like connecting one thing with another which is just cringy. Edwards and Brundle would be epic. Martin is just great with his commentary, and Ben is just awesome.

I haven't really liked Brundle as a commentator since 2011 when he was lead, his grid walks are the best though.
As Matt said, Crofty's links are cringy and cheesy, I literally cringed during FP3 at Austria with some of the stuff he came out with. He was so serious as a commentator on 5 live which was what made him great, now he's awful at times.
Ben Edwards is usually great at the start of the season and deteriorates as it goes on, whilst Coulthard is usually great when he isn't in a mood.

Radio commentary is so much better. As a listener you have to trust what they're saying is true, but if you are watching then you can make your own judgements. Like in tennis, on TV they'll say something like "Federer to serve", then the rally will happen with no commentary and then at the end they'll say "good stuff there from Roger, he played very well to earn that point".

Meanwhile on radio "So it's the fifth set, fourth game, 30-15 to Federer and here he is with the serve, great serve making Djokovic work hard, a good return though by Djokovic. Federer plays the forehand followed by a superb backhand from Djokovic. Federer just gets it back and he's gone high, Djokovic smashes it across the net but Roger hits it over and steals the point. Beautiful play from both of them there, incredible here at Wimbledon.

It's the same for F1 sometimes.

Radio commentary is so much better. As a listener you have to trust what they're saying is true, but if you are watching then you can make your own judgements. Like in tennis, on TV they'll say something like "Federer to serve", then the rally will happen with no commentary and then at the end they'll say "good stuff there from Roger, he played very well to earn that point".

Meanwhile on radio "So it's the fifth set, fourth game, 30-15 to Federer and here he is with the serve, great serve making Djokovic work hard, a good return though by Djokovic. Federer plays the forehand followed by a superb backhand from Djokovic. Federer just gets it back and he's gone high, Djokovic smashes it across the net but Roger hits it over and steals the point. Beautiful play from both of them there, incredible here at Wimbledon.

It's the same for F1 sometimes.

I'd agree if James Allen wasn't the radio commentator :p 

I never found James Allen all too bad really. He was so much better than Legard ever was, and I actually wouldn't mind him as a presenter. He may not have the face for it, but he'd be a vast amount more interesting than Suzi Perry.

I never found James Allen all too bad really. He was so much better than Legard ever was, and I actually wouldn't mind him as a presenter. He may not have the face for it, but he'd be a vast amount more interesting than Suzi Perry.

His knowledge is brilliant, his insight is wonderful, but his commentary is awful. Presenting would be great, maybe even bringing him back as a pit lane reporter would be good!

For sure man, presenter or pitlane reporter would suit him perfectly. The knowledge he has and the enthusiasm would make him a great fit for either role :) 

You ever been to his site? Some of his articles are really good.

For sure man, presenter or pitlane reporter would suit him perfectly. The knowledge he has and the enthusiasm would make him a great fit for either role :) 

You ever been to his site? Some of his articles are really good.

Yeah, he's a great blog writer. I think because of his site he has one of the highest twitter follower count in the sport.

James Allen is nowhere near as bad as people make him out to be. He was enthusiastic and knew what he was talking about, always got me pumped up for the race at the start and provided high-energy commentary while Martin did the tech-talk and witty sarcasm. Great duo.

Legard isn't outright bad in my opinion, he has a great shouting voice, but other than that he can kiss my ass.

I was kidding, he's a douche. Just watched the 2010 Belgian GP and his repetitive Schumi-bashing is unbearable. P*ick.

Legard has problems.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iEt9SmVLeY

@Mexicola I agree that Allen is very enthusiastic, but most of the time that leads to cringy commentary (most race starts and Button winning spring to mind) and he just can't commentate on side by side racing.

James Allen is awesome! I remember the start of a Monaco GP in something like 2003 and he was shouting 'Are you ready, are you ready, ARE YOU READY? ......................... GOOOOOOOOOOO!'

That's what I want again.