F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Formula 1 TV Coverage Thread

Yeah when Raikkonen crashed Edwards was just like "Hamilton Hamilton Rosberg Look at Hamilton". Meanwhile a massive crash and pileup. 
What Raikkonen crash?

fIsince08 said:
Yeah when Raikkonen crashed Edwards was just like "Hamilton Hamilton Rosberg Look at Hamilton". Meanwhile a massive crash and pileup. 
What Raikkonen crash?
Pretty sure he means Silverstone :p Coulthard picked up on what was happening pretty quickly though.

fIsince08 said:
What Raikkonen crash?
Pretty sure he means Silverstone :p Coulthard picked up on what was happening pretty quickly though.
Ooohh that one :p 

He did take a breath just before DC took over so I'd imagine he was about to call it.

fIsince08 said:
fIsince08 said:
What Raikkonen crash?

He did take a breath just before DC took over so I'd imagine he was about to call it.

Also can someone tell Ben to stop saying 'oh my goodness' when theirs any form of incident.

cooldude7 said:
fIsince08 said:
fIsince08 said:
What Raikkonen crash?

Also can someone tell Ben to stop saying 'oh my goodness' when theirs any form of incident.

"Oh deary me". "Ahwohoo contact!" "Oh and crashes Massa" - Ben Edwards

"Oh and we have contact on the right left" "Did they make contact?" "On this day in history" "Agg and he just loses it under breaking" - DC

cooldude7 said:
fIsince08 said:
fIsince08 said:
What Raikkonen crash?

"Oh and we have contact on the right left" "Did they make contact?" "On this day in history" "Agg and he just loses it under breaking" - DC
Another for DC 'crusially'

cooldude7 said:
fIsince08 said:
fIsince08 said:
What Raikkonen crash?

Always call the wrong driver, miss Hamilton's Monza start, make crap jokes, laugh at the slightest thing - David Croft

"Becorse" - Martin Brundle

Finally, F1 is moving to the modern times with Twitter. Finally they're doing something useful with it. Retweets, world feed images, stats, infographics. Just really hope they get a YouTube channel soon where they can upload some race highlights. They do some on the Formula 1 App which are good, so why not just upload them to a YouTube channel?

I say it's time for a thread revival!

What have you all thought of Formula 1 coverage this season? This includes the broadcasters, what features you've liked, what you'd change, the graphics provided by FOM on the world feed. What have you thought?

I can't really say anything terribly bad about any of them. The only criticisms I do have is that at times Sky's race build ups have been boring and lacked anything really interesting, and the BBC still have Suzi Perry.

Some of the graphics just seemed superfluous. Last night, I really didn't see the need for having the drivers' faces and their split times, presented in such a way that it made it look like it was on a non-existent trackside screen, you know, in addition to that information already being presented in the more conventional formats. I'll give them a pass on the Hamilton face on the last lap though.

Other than that, the only other thing I'll complain about is the ads on the local broadcast, but I suppose it comes with the territory being on free-to-air and not on a public broadcaster.

And there was just something about Crofty last night that annoyed me.

David Croft's bias commentary < OneTwoThree.

That's how bad he is.
Bias towards who? The only driver I can think of here in Jenson. He was willing on Felipe to beat Lewis!

All commentators are biased, not just Crofty. You go to Spain they're biased towards Alonso, Germany and Rosberg, Italy and Ferrari. If you watch MotoGP in any country in the world at the moment other than Spain they're biased towards Rossi. It happens in absolutely every sport

I've loved the new hybrid thermal camera and the rotating one. The graphics on screen have been epic this year, but I didn't like the virtual ones at Abu Dhabi. The messages that they show on the track are usually cringy (although the Jules one at Russia was a nice touch). I like the ones they do on the grid though.

Once again, for live races I prefer the BBC coverage. Suzi Perry has improved massively this season and Ben and DC are better commentators than Crofty and Brundle. Damon Hill and Jonny H have been awful.

fIsince08 said:
I've loved the new hybrid thermal camera and the rotating one. The graphics on screen have been epic this year, but I didn't like the virtual ones at Abu Dhabi. The messages that they show on the track are usually cringy (although the Jules one at Russia was a nice touch). I like the ones they do on the grid though.

Once again, for live races I prefer the BBC coverage. Suzi Perry has improved massively this season and Ben and DC are better commentators than Crofty and Brundle. Damon Hill and Jonny H have been awful.
Whilst I pretty much agree with you (although MB is better than DC imo, but DC's still good) the depth that Sky go into with their features, the amount they do, the more programming they produce as well as the amazing Ted Kravitz cannot be rivalled by any other broadcaster.  

Suzi Perry is still rubbish in my book. She needs to be replaced by Lee McKenzie.
I haven't watched barely any of the coverage over than the races this year but she's a lot better than Humphrey was. She was brilliant on MotoGP, don't think she knew anything about F1 until she was asked to present it

Seriously?! She's awful compared to Jake, he was one of the best presenters I've seen on any coverage of F1. 
She was ok on the MotoGP, but Matt Roberts who took over from her did a much better job in my view.

Seriously?! She's awful compared to Jake, he was one of the best presenters I've seen on any coverage of F1. 
She was ok on the MotoGP, but Matt Roberts who took over from her did a much better job in my view.
I couldn't stand Jake, thought it was absolutely terrible. He was the reason I stopped watching all the build up programs and I've barely bothered watching them even after he left. I didn't like Matt on MotoGP but he was brilliant this year on Eurosport for superbikes.

I couldn't give an honest opinion on the BBC's coverage this season because I have never watched a full live or highlights broadcast. I'm so pleased to have the Sky Sports F1 channel and I feel it would be better. Hours of air time each weekend and I've grown to like the people on their team (Simon Lazenby, Davidson, Natalie Pinkham). There's still some who I find annoying (Herbert, Rachel Brookes, Craig Slater), but the rest of them are really good and whenever Brundle is on the mic I love it. He talks so much sense, he's made that channel what it is for me. 

Their features are good too, the Midweek Report is outstanding and I prefer that to the F1 show because usually their guests are more interesting and diverse. Classic races every night, a fantastic Senna week back in May, so much more. I like the commentary team with Ted Kravitz, and his notebooks are just great. Their legends series and Architects of F1 series have been great to watch too. What Sky Sports need is to get Lewis Hamilton as a guest on the F1 show, not at a race weekend but in their studio. That would be great for their channel. 

I have so many ideas of other stuff Sky Sports could do to enhance their coverage further, I'd love to work for them on their F1 team, what an experience that would be.

Despite being from Norwich, Jake was awesome.

Sky have a bigger budget to do more but I still found their pre-race stuff a bit bland. Maybe it's just the personalities of Hill, Herbert and genericTVpresenter that I don't like.

APR193 said:
Suzi Perry is still rubbish in my book. She needs to be replaced by Lee McKenzie.
I haven't watched barely any of the coverage over than the races this year but she's a lot better than Humphrey was. She was brilliant on MotoGP, don't think she knew anything about F1 until she was asked to present it
Are you serious ? Sky have had incredible coverage since taking over , but I would probably start watching the BBC again if Jake started presenting again. He was awesome and he worked so well with EJ and DC.

APR193 said:
Are you serious ? Sky have had incredible coverage since taking over , but I would probably start watching the BBC again if Jake started presenting again. He was awesome and he worked so well with EJ and DC.
Sky's coverage is good, if there is nothing else on and I have nothing to do I'll watch the buildup but only then. I catch up on a few Sky and BBC features on each of their websites, and always always watch Ted's Notebook. If they got rid of everyone other than Brundle and Ted I'd watch every minute of every show.