Sign in to follow this  

Formula 1 TV Coverage Thread

I've got to say, in terms of quantity of features Sky have had another incredible year. In terms of personnel, it could do with some working on though, and it's nothing new from where I'm sitting.

In the pre race and post race shows, the analysis from Hill and Herbert is terrible, and has been for a while. Yes they have their moments of humour, but they say nothing insightful and very rarely give a very interesting or bold opinion. Which in the roles they're doing, as ex-drivers, is their job as they should in theory be experts. BBC easily have the better of them in that respect, with EJ and Coulthard on the mics. 

As as far as commentary goes, there was a point where the Crofty/Brundle relationship was perfect imo, but recently Crofty has started to mess the chemistry up, and weirdly it's the opposite of the problems Hill and Herbert are having at trackside. Crofty's commentary has started to get too opinionated. Unlike Hill and Herbert, his job is to describe the action taking place, maybe with the brief comment here and there. But recently for me he just seems to go on way too long about his theories and his thoughts rather than presenting the action. That's mainly the job of the second commentator, and something Brundle does a fine job of. Having two guys doing that just messes up the flow. And quite frankly Crofty does go on about some ridiculous things at times as well. 

Other than that, I've enjoyed the inclusion of Bruno Senna this season. Anthony Davidson is great when in the right role. That role being talking about cars and racing technique rather than his views on drivers - many of which are idiotic. Brundle the star of the show, as he's been for all the years in Sky's coverage. As well as his great commentary, his features are also by far the best. As for Ted, he does the job. The only thing that makes me a bit sad in his coverage is I really don't think he uses his immense knowledge to its best abilities. He likes to get in to generalised comments quite often, and I'd like him to grind right down in to the tech much more often than he does. But that's just me, and I'm sure he does his stuff based on Sky's request to accommodate everyone watching. 

Platy said:
Despite being from Norwich, Jake was awesome.

Sky have a bigger budget to do more but I still found their pre-race stuff a bit bland. Maybe it's just the personalities of Hill, Herbert and genericTVpresenter that I don't like.
Despite being from Norwich? you want sum I'll give it ya

I haven't really watched the build up much since Sky got the license. Nothing against Sky, but the build up is 1 and a half hours then followed by a 1-2 hour race and I don't really fancy dedicating nearly 3 and a half hours in some cases to watching it. 
I liked the BBC's 50 minute pre show, time for a few features (A lot of them were really good, I liked EJ, Jake and DC when they did them) some analysis and then the grid walk. 
I generally just turn on the coverage about 20 minutes before it starts and then watch until the podium is over (maybe a little more depending). As well as the above points, I also don't like Hill and Herbert all that much, they're ok but I much preferred the BBC team. Don't like Simon Lazenby either really.

i don't really want to spend more than a couple of hours watching things like F1 and Football as I have other stuff to do...

The one thing that annoys me about Crofty is he starts to shout at you when something happens on the track.
tbh most commentators do when something exciting is happening even the best commentators do.

The one thing that annoys me about Crofty is he starts to shout at you when something happens on the track.
tbh most commentators do when something exciting is happening even the best commentators do.
They do and its highly frustrating. We can see something exciting is happening, we don't need the commentator shoving it down our throats. Its why I thought the Brundle/Coulthard team in 2011 was excellent. Even when they got excited and it was notable in their tone they weren't shouting at us.

Yeah I have to say I thought DC and MB were a great team. I do like Crofty though 

AMS97KRR said:
Yeah I have to say I thought DC and MB were a great team. I do like Crofty though 
I used to like Crofty , but he's gotten more and more annoying as the season has gone on imo.

Brundle fits the role of support commentator perfectly, no one better.

Crofty's alright its just he's to prone to making mistakes, mostly identifying cars wrong.  

Liam12d said:
Crofty's alright its just he's to prone to making mistakes, mostly identifying cars wrong.  
I have no idea how he messed up Hamilton and Rosberg at the start of Abu Dhabi!

fIsince08 said:
Liam12d said:
Did he?

fIsince08 said:
Liam12d said:
Did he?
Yeah, that is an awful mistake to make in a title decider ffs.

Liam12d said:
so was Murray Walker in his day. Mistakes happen even in the commentary box sometimes besides when your commenting on fast sports or sport where speed is important it can be tricky at times I guess. Personally I prefer the way Sky do things over the way BBC do them now.

What I hate is how people don't like commentators because they make mistakes, yet love Murray Walker who made more than anyone, because he made more than anyone. Everyone jumps on the bandwagon

APR193 said:
What I hate is how people don't like commentators because they make mistakes, yet love Murray Walker who made more than anyone, because he made more than anyone. Everyone jumps on the bandwagon
I think that's because back when Murrary commentated on Formula 1, TV coverage wasn't anywhere near as professional as it is now, so I guess we just have very high expectations.

Watching this video of Vettel's on board from his first test made me think, why has F1 not introduced HD on board cameras? GoPro's would be fantastic as they record in HD, they portray speed really well and heck, even BTCC has them. I really hope they have them in 2015.

Watching this video of Vettel's on board from his first test made me think, why has F1 not introduced HD on board cameras? GoPro's would be fantastic as they record in HD, they portray speed really well and heck, even BTCC has them. I really hope they have them in 2015.
Because F1 is run by an old man and a bunch of yes men.

You should be happy you can watch it, you're too young for the sport ;) :p

FOM really need to sort the sense of speed via the cameras out. The cars don't look that quick on TV.