Sign in to follow this  

Formula 1 TV Coverage Thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeBx7VsnKpY

I mean he's not even going really fast but it still looks really quick with the GoPros on, and the dashboard is clear too which is really useful.

EDIT: Also, the camera is in the centre of the car here which is where it should be, not at an angle as it has been for years. I hope that gets sorted too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeBx7VsnKpY

I mean he's not even going really fast but it still looks really quick with the GoPros on, and the dashboard is clear too which is really useful.

EDIT: Also, the camera is in the centre of the car here which is where it should be, not at an angle as it has been for years. I hope that gets sorted too.
I don't know, I prefer it offset to the centre of the car. What they should introduce is cockpit cams like they had for some races in 2012

Some quick shots of Crofty and Brundle in action near the end of this. 
http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/f1/9612450/top-5-of-2014-f1

Does anyone know what type of cameras FOM uses for their world feed? I'm asking this because their cameras seem to not be smooth when following a car (they seem to shake or chop slightly, instead of being steady) while at the Monaco GP and American motorsport races like Indycar and Nascar use this type of camera to broadcast and their shots are smooth and steady. 

While I think FOM uses this type of camera (mounted on a tripod):

Also, why did FOM not switch to HD until 2011? Nascar and other sports switched back in the mid 2000s. 

I see what you mean actually with the smoothness of shots! Just watched highlights from Catalunya in both F1 and MotoGP and the shots do seem smoother generally for MotoGP. 

The HD thing is because of the fact f1 is broadcast in third world countries. Thats why the graphics only became widescreen in 2012.

fIsince08 said:
The HD thing is because of the fact f1 is broadcast in third world countries. Thats why the graphics only became widescreen in 2012.
Not sure that's true. Pretty sure HD can still be broadcast in SD. It was most likely a money thing.

Platy said:
fIsince08 said:
Not sure that's true. Pretty sure HD can still be broadcast in SD. It was most likely a money thing.

Yeah, I thought that after I posted it :p

The second part is right though. I think.

fIsince08 said:
Platy said:
fIsince08 said:

Was it 2012 or 2011?

mike96 said:
fIsince08 said:
Platy said:
fIsince08 said:

Was it 2012 or 2011?
12. The position thingy that scrolls at the bottom changed to widescreen in 2012.

You may or may not have already seen this but this video is a great insight into how the Formula 1 TV show is made! It's the first 20 mins of BBC's 2010 Singapore GP coverage, showing all 3 cameras, the main TV feed and it also has the director's speech too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BheV32Xe_W8

You have to admire Jake here, I don't know how he does it! He's able to talk perfectly with the director talking in his ear, whilst looking at whatever camera he needs too, also thinking of ideas of how the cameras should begin sections (walking around the McLaren/mentioning that Alonso is getting ready behind him then cutting to a shot of him). Really interesting stuff personally!

The new updated Formula1.com website is now live! Looks much better than the previous one and after 12 years it was about time they had a change. It looks great, and it works well on iPad and mobile, and the apps are good too! There's a new F1 Access section too which if you pay a monthly fee gives you more features. It looks very good so I might consider getting it. 

Also it looks like we're gonna be treated to some brand new FOM TV graphics tomorrow so it'll be good to see how they look during a live session, and what new features they may integrate in the coverage.

I'm expecting their YouTube channel to feature the same stuff as they already have on the app/website. I can't see them adding any extra stuff just for YouTube.

Yeah, hopefully they'll have a leaderboard on the side of the screen in qualifying. Although it's a bit weird why they wouldn't apply it in the practice sessions if they had that graphic available. 

From the brief six minutes of footage I've seen, I like the new graphics. It would be nice to have driver numbers back though.

They've taken out the little flag that pops out when the guys finish.
I noticed that, I didn't realise how much you miss it when it isn't there. It is just the first race though, it might make a comeback later on.

I was looking up F1 stuff the other day and when I clicked on the website, it said error 404, so I looked for it on Google, and they have released a new website, and in my opinion, i hate it, its taken everything away from the old website, like the results from 50's, 60's, 70's & 80's. Its to much, they should have kept the old website.