Sign in to follow this  

Formula 1 TV Coverage Thread

I saw the "new" F1 website a few days ago, looks like crap. The older website was easier to navigate.

I've merged the posts from the thread in F1 Games - General Discussion with this one as we were discussing the new F1 website previously!

So what are your opinions on F1 coverage this season? A few points of discussion could include:
- The new Formula 1 App and Website
- F1's use of Twitter, Instagram and YouTube
- Sky Sports F1 and BBC F1 coverage and features (and any other TV stations you may watch)
- FOM's new TV graphics
- FOM Race coverage and direction

The new Formula 1 App and Website
I really like the new Formula 1 App and Website. They've made it all sync together on all platforms (PC, tablet, mobile), and the redesign was desperately needed as the old design had been used for 10+ years and was quite out-dated. The app is really good too, and I like the various sections on it, such as the live timing.

It's obviously disappointing that a lot of the good videos they upload are F1 Premium only, but I can see why as they are better than the free ones in my view. I bought a month of Premium and it was worth it, especially with the Live Timing upgrades too.

The videos themselves are good. I'm a fan of their behind the scenes videos of the motorhomes recently, as well as other one off videos.

F1's use of Twitter, Instagram and YouTube
It's absolutely great to finally see they've realised that these things aren't a phase, and that they're here to stay! Their Instagram feed is spot on in my view, they can't really do much more with it, but Twitter and YouTube could still be improved. They should take a leaf out of Formula E's book. They upload short clips of key moments of the race (usually only 5 or 6 each race) and post them to Twitter and YouTube. It would be good if F1 did something similar. However, I can't see them doing that while it's on pay-per-view TV currently.

YouTube could definitely be improved too. The app and website has regular videos uploaded now which is great to see, but they don't upload many of them to YouTube. I think all the free ones should be uploaded at least.

Sky Sports F1 and BBC F1 coverage and features
I don't watch BBC F1 coverage, I just stick to Sky, so I'll keep it focused on them. I was chatting with @Matthew77258 on Twitter briefly about this earlier, and I'm honestly disappointed at some of the features Sky have been doing this season.

First of all, I think they're somewhat ignoring some of the smaller teams too much. We rarely see proper features and interviews with drivers such as Roberto Merhi, Marcus Ericsson and Sergio Perez (that's the main few for me). I know they had the film on Bianchi and Marussia today, but as we said on Twitter, it's unlikely there would have been any focus on the team without Bianchi scoring those points last year. The only person from Manor who gets any air time is Graeme Lowdon who seems to be on some Sky F1 Midweek Report or F1 Show every other week!

Also, some of their stuff is quite random and I'm left thinking 'what was the point of all that'. For example, Simon Lazenby climbed a boat's rigging on Friday and there was absolutely no relation to F1 at all. He did it during their weekly F1 Show, and they were checking up on his small progress every 5 minutes. I have no idea why they did it. Also the Hamilton v Henry thing. Yeah it's cool he did the football match, but they've been dragging out that feature for at least four programmes now. There's surely a limit!

However, I really like Ted Kravitz, and he is one of the best things in their coverage, along with Martin Brundle. Ted's Notebooks are great, a perfect mix of technical insight, random facts of information and race analysis. They're great fun to watch. Also, I really liked Ted's feature today on where the GP2 teams are based in Monaco, and the bits you don't really see in Monaco. More stuff like that would be great.

Something I'd love to see a feature on is how the podium ceremony works for example. F1 have a Master of Ceremonies, called Alexandre Molina, and he's responsible for the trophies, champagne, and generally making sure the podium sequences run smoothly. Something like this would be cool to see.

Or maybe if they could have a camera in the stewards room, or go behind the scenes at the FIA when they do their car checks for weight and whatever. It's the features that go into the real details of F1 that are most interesting to me.

I still think their coverage as a whole works really well. I've grown to like Simon Lazenby, he does the job of presenting really well. I'm not a fan of Johnny Herbert's analysis. I feel he's quite predictable with what he says. Damon Hill is good though.

FOM's new TV graphics
I'm pleased they revamped them for this season. The simple look works well, the font is easily readable, and it just works as a package. I'm surprised the GP2 and GP3 graphics haven't been updated though. GP2 have been on the same set for over 10 years now, with small refinements here and there, but they're old now.

FOM Race coverage and direction
I think it's good on the whole, but today in Monaco they sometimes missed some of the good stuff, or cut away from interesting events. For example. they didn't show us how Massa sustained his damage on lap 1. I still have no idea how it happened. Also, they missed the majority of Verstappen's bad pit stop. When we joined he'd been in the pit lane for over 30 seconds (so in the pit box for over 15 seconds presumably).

I'm still not a fan of the fake adverts. Don't they have enough placed around the track already?! At least in Monaco there's not enough space for any, but they seemed to get around that problem by placing actual adverts everywhere on the track. In no apparent order too. Most circuits have different phases of the same brand for a certain section of track, and then it will change. Monaco was just all of them dotted around all the time!

Golly, I've just realised that was a massive post. If you read this then kudos to you.

So what are your opinions on F1 coverage this season? A few points of discussion could include:
- The new Formula 1 App and Website
- F1's use of Twitter, Instagram and YouTube
- Sky Sports F1 and BBC F1 coverage and features (and any other TV stations you may watch)
- FOM's new TV graphics
- FOM Race coverage and direction

The new Formula 1 App and Website
I really like the new Formula 1 App and Website. They've made it all sync together on all platforms (PC, tablet, mobile), and the redesign was desperately needed as the old design had been used for 10+ years and was quite out-dated. The app is really good too, and I like the various sections on it, such as the live timing.

It's obviously disappointing that a lot of the good videos they upload are F1 Premium only, but I can see why as they are better than the free ones in my view. I bought a month of Premium and it was worth it, especially with the Live Timing upgrades too.

The videos themselves are good. I'm a fan of their behind the scenes videos of the motorhomes recently, as well as other one off videos.

F1's use of Twitter, Instagram and YouTube
It's absolutely great to finally see they've realised that these things aren't a phase, and that they're here to stay! Their Instagram feed is spot on in my view, they can't really do much more with it, but Twitter and YouTube could still be improved. They should take a leaf out of Formula E's book. They upload short clips of key moments of the race (usually only 5 or 6 each race) and post them to Twitter and YouTube. It would be good if F1 did something similar. However, I can't see them doing that while it's on pay-per-view TV currently.

YouTube could definitely be improved too. The app and website has regular videos uploaded now which is great to see, but they don't upload many of them to YouTube. I think all the free ones should be uploaded at least.

Sky Sports F1 and BBC F1 coverage and features
I don't watch BBC F1 coverage, I just stick to Sky, so I'll keep it focused on them. I was chatting with @Matthew77258 on Twitter briefly about this earlier, and I'm honestly disappointed at some of the features Sky have been doing this season.

First of all, I think they're somewhat ignoring some of the smaller teams too much. We rarely see proper features and interviews with drivers such as Roberto Merhi, Marcus Ericsson and Sergio Perez (that's the main few for me). I know they had the film on Bianchi and Marussia today, but as we said on Twitter, it's unlikely there would have been any focus on the team without Bianchi scoring those points last year. The only person from Manor who gets any air time is Graeme Lowdon who seems to be on some Sky F1 Midweek Report or F1 Show every other week!

Also, some of their stuff is quite random and I'm left thinking 'what was the point of all that'. For example, Simon Lazenby climbed a boat's rigging on Friday and there was absolutely no relation to F1 at all. He did it during their weekly F1 Show, and they were checking up on his small progress every 5 minutes. I have no idea why they did it. Also the Hamilton v Henry thing. Yeah it's cool he did the football match, but they've been dragging out that feature for at least four programmes now. There's surely a limit!

However, I really like Ted Kravitz, and he is one of the best things in their coverage, along with Martin Brundle. Ted's Notebooks are great, a perfect mix of technical insight, random facts of information and race analysis. They're great fun to watch. Also, I really liked Ted's feature today on where the GP2 teams are based in Monaco, and the bits you don't really see in Monaco. More stuff like that would be great.

Something I'd love to see a feature on is how the podium ceremony works for example. F1 have a Master of Ceremonies, called Alexandre Molina, and he's responsible for the trophies, champagne, and generally making sure the podium sequences run smoothly. Something like this would be cool to see.

Or maybe if they could have a camera in the stewards room, or go behind the scenes at the FIA when they do their car checks for weight and whatever. It's the features that go into the real details of F1 that are most interesting to me.

I still think their coverage as a whole works really well. I've grown to like Simon Lazenby, he does the job of presenting really well. I'm not a fan of Johnny Herbert's analysis. I feel he's quite predictable with what he says. Damon Hill is good though.

FOM's new TV graphics
I'm pleased they revamped them for this season. The simple look works well, the font is easily readable, and it just works as a package. I'm surprised the GP2 and GP3 graphics haven't been updated though. GP2 have been on the same set for over 10 years now, with small refinements here and there, but they're old now.

FOM Race coverage and direction
I think it's good on the whole, but today in Monaco they sometimes missed some of the good stuff, or cut away from interesting events. For example. they didn't show us how Massa sustained his damage on lap 1. I still have no idea how it happened. Also, they missed the majority of Verstappen's bad pit stop. When we joined he'd been in the pit lane for over 30 seconds (so in the pit box for over 15 seconds presumably).

I'm still not a fan of the fake adverts. Don't they have enough placed around the track already?! At least in Monaco there's not enough space for any, but they seemed to get around that problem by placing actual adverts everywhere on the track. In no apparent order too. Most circuits have different phases of the same brand for a certain section of track, and then it will change. Monaco was just all of them dotted around all the time!

Golly, I've just realised that was a massive post. If you read this then kudos to you.
He's also responsible for getting it on with Carmen Jorda, the SoB.

The new F1 app and website
I don't use the app as the free version is useless and I won't pay for premium. I also think the website needs work, all of the past results are gone apart from 2014 which is a big loss. The videos are good, but Bernie being Bernie most are premium only. If they had classic races on the website I'd consider paying for it.

Social Media
It's great to see F1 finally moving to the 21st century but as Matt said they're is a lot to do.

TV Coverage
I watch the Sky races on Sky and the BBC races on BBC, and the BBC are the better ones. I mentioned in the Monaco thread about Sky being the Lewis Hamilton show. Herbert is a shoddy presenter and they seem to be adding more and more to the ex F1 driver crew. Crofty has really got worse over the past two years and it might be worth Sky changing commentators soon, Ben Edwards has been brilliant for the BBC. Maybe Sky should move for Jack Nichols or David Addison.

FOM's Graphics
I like the new graphics. They sometimes break down but not very often, and given they're only six races old I think that's acceptable. More and more information can be added on these.

One thing I have noticed for the last few years is how delayed the graphics (or sound, not sure which) is around Monaco, if they could sort that it would be a big help.

FOM Race Coverage
FOM generally do a good job, occasionally they fail to show some of the important parts though. I'd like to see Sky have a go with the direction, the coverage of 2013 testing was brilliant. 

On that note, live testing footage (or at least live timing) would be great too.

No way, I didn't know that! Well that's a new relationship on the scale of Webber and Neal.

fIsince08 said:
TV Coverage
Herbert is a shoddy presenter and they seem to be adding more and more to the ex F1 driver crew. Crofty has really got worse over the past two years and it might be worth Sky changing commentators soon, Ben Edwards has been brilliant for the BBC. Maybe Sky should move for Jack Nichols or David Addison.

FOM's Graphics
One thing I have noticed for the last few years is how delayed the graphics (or sound, not sure which) is around Monaco, if they could sort that it would be a big help.
Yeah, I think Sky are lacking a pundit who isn't an ex-F1 driver. I think Brundle is the best out of them, as he's been doing it now for nearly 20 years. That's what I do like about the BBC's coverage, they have the driver and an old team boss, and that other viewpoint works so well. I think Sky could do with someone else from the world of F1, perhaps an F1 journalist from one of the big motorsport websites (Mark Hughes springs to mind).

Jack Nichols has been great in Formula E this year, and David Addison is fantastic with the touring cars, possibly as good as Ben Edwards was with it, so both of them could be good replacements for Crofty. Unfortunately I don't think Crofty is leaving for a while though (I'm sure he mentioned this in the coverage at the weekend, although it could've been tongue-in-cheek.

For the graphics, and I'm not sure whether this is still the case, but in previous years I'm sure that the Monaco GP did it's own direction of the camera shots and graphics? Like usually it's the same FOM director for every race but they had a one off for Monaco? I may be wrong, but that could be a reason in the poor direction this weekend and delayed graphics.

No way, I didn't know that! Well that's a new relationship on the scale of Webber and Neal.

fIsince08 said:
TV Coverage
Herbert is a shoddy presenter and they seem to be adding more and more to the ex F1 driver crew. Crofty has really got worse over the past two years and it might be worth Sky changing commentators soon, Ben Edwards has been brilliant for the BBC. Maybe Sky should move for Jack Nichols or David Addison.

FOM's Graphics
Yeah, I think Sky are lacking a pundit who isn't an ex-F1 driver. I think Brundle is the best out of them, as he's been doing it now for nearly 20 years. That's what I do like about the BBC's coverage, they have the driver and an old team boss, and that other viewpoint works so well. I think Sky could do with someone else from the world of F1, perhaps an F1 journalist from one of the big motorsport websites (Mark Hughes springs to mind).

Jack Nichols has been great in Formula E this year, and David Addison is fantastic with the touring cars, possibly as good as Ben Edwards was with it, so both of them could be good replacements for Crofty. Unfortunately I don't think Crofty is leaving for a while though (I'm sure he mentioned this in the coverage at the weekend, although it could've been tongue-in-cheek.

For the graphics, and I'm not sure whether this is still the case, but in previous years I'm sure that the Monaco GP did it's own direction of the camera shots and graphics? Like usually it's the same FOM director for every race but they had a one off for Monaco? I may be wrong, but that could be a reason in the poor direction this weekend and delayed graphics.
Oh yeah you're right. The graphics are provided and ran by FOM though. I found this from last year which explains more: http://f1weekends.com/why-doesnt-fom-produce-the-monaco-gp-world-feed-coverage/

I agree with you on the GP2 graphics. In terms of BBC coverage the highlight package is just righ, especially when the races are boring (Australia) Live coverage is also good. But I find Ben Edwards a little 'excitable'. I miss Brundle :joy:

Juice29 said:
I agree with you on the GP2 graphics. In terms of BBC coverage the highlight package is just righ, especially when the races are boring (Australia) Live coverage is also good. But I find Ben Edwards a little 'excitable'. I miss Brundle :joy:
I don't I watch him every gp weekend but then I have Sky Sports F1

Juice29 said:
I'd rather have an excitable Edwards than a comedy Crofty. :p 

Is Edwards the one with the weird accent? The one that sounds kinda...forced?
Edwards is this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1Wcch5nR-g

Ben Edwards has got to be one of the worst commentators there is in any sport. The combo of him and Coulthard, who's no better himself, and the hassle of a stream for Sky F1 buffering is the reason I very rarely watch F1 anymore. 

APR193 said:
Ben Edwards has got to be one of the worst commentators there is in any sport. The combo of him and Coulthard, who's no better himself, and the hassle of a stream for Sky F1 buffering is the reason I very rarely watch F1 anymore. 
Wow, that's harsh! :p
Sure, the vid I posted wasn't his finest hour but he is one of the more enthusiastic commentators out there! This is better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DtftrHcYaM

I've just found this slating review of Sky's coverage and wholeheartedly agree:
http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/11/18/formula-ones-hamilton-centric-media-coverage-must-end-now/

If they could just replace Crofty it would fix a lot of things. The Sky pre and post race shows are unwatchable Hamilton or no Hamilton, because Johnny Herbert couldn't offer "insightful analysis" if his life depended on it. But during the race, for the most part Brundle and Kravitz aren't too bad, so without Crofty the Hamilton circle jerk would be mostly absent. 

Although it's also quite obvious that Ted Kravitz has quite a big thing for Kimi. He always tries to hype up his race when in reality it's most of the time going nowhere. He also wrote in a recent article that he's around a tenth behind Vettel, and around 2-3 tenths behind Alonso. You don't need me to tell you that both those figures are very fictional.