Can we get Keyboard support on Xbox [SG]

@Faya @RedDevilKT

We need keyboard support on the Xbox version of F1 2019 so we can bind extra controls when playing with a wheel. Other Xbox games allow this.

In fact the PS4 version of the game allows you to do this but you have not included it in the Xbox version

Can this support be added in the next patch

• Like 1

Still no update on this, its a big feature wheel users need to be able to bind extra buttons to keyboard on Xbox. The PC and PS4 versions have it 

Edited by Jajb
  • Agree 1

Been asking for mouse support in PC version for years

So don't bother asking cos you won't get a reply

ps. am so glad i gave this game a miss after reading some of the posts on these forums

Hi All,

Unfortunately, the team are not considering adding Xbox keyboard support into the game at the moment. We will let you know if this situation changes. Thanks all, 

@Faya

So you put it in for PC, and PS4, and even though Xbox supports it you are not putting it into the game. I guess that's a big middle finger to the Xbox community then 

Absolutely, the xbox needs keyboard support.

On 9/6/2019 at 11:52 AM, Faya said:

Hi All,

Unfortunately, the team are not considering adding Xbox keyboard support into the game at the moment. We will let you know if this situation changes. Thanks all, 

Another nail in the coffin! How about for the 2020 game faya? And if not, what of the future of the series on the next gen of consoles?

Don't have the 19 game, I have long since lost faith in the series, and doubt very much I'll ever buy this game in the future unless the core game is improved dramatically. The same issues plague the game every year, and this year I doubt I'll even get it second hand given the reports on this forum. The consensus of the forum seems to be that the game has gone backwards with the patches, with many wanting to roll back to previous versions.

Codemasters, how can customers support such a situation with their hard earned cash?

What makes it worse with this is that its in the PC AND the PS4 version of the game, yet they decide not to put it in the Xbox version! Xbox has keyboard support multiple games use it including Project Cars, you need it to be able to assign buttons to keyboard  as there is not enough on most wheels.

I guess they just decided the Xbox community isn't important

Edited by Jajb

@RedDevilKT @Hoo

We need keyboard key binding support on the Xbox version of F1 2019 so we can bind extra controls when playing with a wheel, as there are not enough buttons for game functions on wheels. Other Xbox games allow this.

In fact the PS4 version of the game allows you to do this but you have not included it in the Xbox version. We need this function and it is outrageous that you have given it to the PS4 and PC players but not the Xbox players, that's unfair to your customers 

Edited by Jajb
  • Agree 2

I support this one hundred procent, allthough not sure if it's entirely up to Codemasters to implement this. In fact, the lack of mappable buttons made me switch to PC and even there the McLaren wheel is not fully supported.

The Xbox fully supports keyboards and key binding. Many games have it. Project Cars 2 has this ability on Xbox One for example. 

@RedDevilKT @Hoo

Its a ridiculous that paying Xbox customers do not have the same features as PS4 users in F1 2019! The PS4 fully supports keyboard key binding when using a wheel and the Xbox system supports this but they do not want to put it in the game, we need this feature! 

Most wheels do not have the buttons to support the many in game features you need to use in this game that's why being able to use a keyboard to bind extra buttons is needed like the PS4 version has. Using another xbox controller when using the wheel is no good as you need that for microphone chat and its not handy for placement.

Xbox Keyboard binding support please

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Jajb said:

The Xbox fully supports keyboards and key binding. Many games have it. Project Cars 2 has this ability on Xbox One for example. 

But the Xbox keybindings are restricted to the same number of buttons you find on the controller. For that reason you find so many doubled bindings on the steering wheel. In PC2 the devs have found a way around this by enabling keyboard support within the game but you still have the doubled bindings on the wheel. To overcome that a keyboard or buttonbox offers you more options. That is not possible in 2018 or 2019. Only way to overcome that is the use of an extra controller.

On 9/6/2019 at 12:52 PM, Faya said:

Hi All,

Would be nice to get an explanation why they are not considering implementing this feature.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, 1512marcel said:

But the Xbox keybindings are restricted to the same number of buttons you find on the controller. For that reason you find so many doubled bindings on the steering wheel. In PC2 the devs have found a way around this by enabling keyboard support within the game but you still have the doubled bindings on the wheel. To overcome that a keyboard or buttonbox offers you more options. That is not possible in 2018 or 2019. Only way to overcome that is the use of an extra controller.

What evidence do you have for this?

The elite controller has more buttons than the standard controller. Wheels work via USB compared to a controller on wireless (but can be usb). Keyboards have many more inputs than controllers. Moreover, as already stated, other games utilise keyboards.

I have a thrustmaster wheel, on PC all the buttons are unique inputs whereas on the xbox several are duplicates. I would argue that this is a driver limitation not a hardware limitation, not that I know for sure!

It's not a driver limitation. It's a limitation within Xbox. Keyboard support is present within Xbox, but Codemasters need to implement it and they already said they will not. How bizar. Regarding the evidence, I have been reading a lot about this subject and came accross a very informative article explaining the inns and outs but can't find it again. The Elite Controller has more buttons, but if you want to use them, they should be supported in game. If not supported in game you can't bind the extra button to a function in game. Same as with our fancy wheels.

Next year Xbox game should be a little bit cheaper, as Xbox players can't enjoy the game the same way.

I have a g920 with lsb and rsb unuseful in this game, and cm is not considering adding keyboard support as well..

Edited by pedrosdt

When I referred to the driver limitation I was specifically referring to the driver for the thrustmaster wheel. That would be a thrustmaster or xbox issue, most likely thrustmasters.

If you search "xbox one architecture" you will discover that it is based on x86-64, a 64 bit PC in other words. Put simply the operating system is a stripped down version of windows 8. There is no reason why the xbox version of the game can't, in theory, have the same functionality as the PC version so far as I can understand. Given these facts it would seem to me there is no reason, other than the driver, why all inputs from the wheel cannot be unique. This is a different argument to keyboard support, however related to it. On my wheel there at least 3 buttons that are just duplicates, it would be great if they weren't and could be utilised in game.

Xbox one already has keyboard support so the only reason we can't use it in game is because codemasters, for some reason, don't want to implement it. The PC version has keyboard and mouse support (obviously), and seeing as the xbox one is basically a PC running Windows 8, why not? As others have said, it's an insult to xbox owners.

Edited by ChasteWand
typo

It's the same for all wheels. I have Fanatec gear and friends of me Logitech and Thrustmaster all with the same outcome. But I agree that it's up to Codemasters to implement keuboard support. Reason why did they decide not to implement it for Xbox is still unclear.

7 hours ago, 1512marcel said:

It's the same for all wheels. I have Fanatec gear and friends of me Logitech and Thrustmaster all with the same outcome. But I agree that it's up to Codemasters to implement keuboard support. Reason why did they decide not to implement it for Xbox is still unclear.

That's an interesting point, I was considering purchasing a fanatec to overcome this limitation. Best save my money for a gaming PC!

Call me a cynic but I very much doubt we'll get an answer from codemasters... However I would love to be proved wrong!

That’s one of the reasons I switched back to PC gaming but the friends in my league all use the Xbox so I still kinda depend on the outcome of this request and many with me. And I too doubt we will get a straight forward answer.

@RedDevilKT @Hoo 

Its unfair that the PS4 version allows keyboard keybinding for extra buttons but you disregard Xbox paying customers by taking away features. We need keyboard key binding on Xbox