DiRT Rally 2.0: Seasons 3 & 4

New locations are incredibly expensive to produce and license.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, tbtstt said:

I believe @PJTierney has already confirmed it is this one: 

bild14456.jpg

Not that exact car though 😉

• Thanks 1

What comes me in mind is...will DR 2.0 including all DLCs be playable on the next X-Box (Scarlett)?

Phil Spencer already announced backwards compatibility and I think he said that everything that runs currently on X-Box One family will run on the next system except a few exceptions due to licensing.

I ask because I don't think a new DiRT game will arrive in 2020 (be it DiRT Rally 3 or DiRT 5) and I want to skip the X-Box One X for better performance if an even better system comes out in just a little over a year.

If there will be a 5th & 6th season, thats more likely I think. Same for GRID.

What do you guys think? (I don't expect a definitive answer from Codies here.)

If they do it right, they could keep DR 2.0 with seasons alive until the next DiRT-Game is ready, but maybe the team is not big enough for this kind of strategy 😄

4 hours ago, tbtstt said:

The addition of the 2019 versions is something that I imagine is only going to appeal to the most die-hard rallycross fans. 

Damn right. Like me ! 🥰🥰🥰

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Old locations are incredibly easy to produce and license, but for us users have the same price.
6 new and 6 old locations. All the old dlc be paid, only 2 new rally cars paid as dlc. The perfect business. against that anything is expensive to produce,

edit: ok, i'm angry for no new rally location, i support the game, it's excellent, I just wanted to say this

Edited by elrojodp8
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

Original game had 6 new locations. Was sold 50€
DLCs are sold 29€ so they could feature almost half the content of the original game. They don't, they used recycled content instead.

And about licencing, I don't get the point since the world is full of roads, and using a particular track under another name didn't seem very problematic...

Edited by toninus
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, toninus said:

DLCs are sold 29€ so they could feature almost half the content of the original game.

Since we are talking about locations, please stick with location prices (not whole DLCs).
One location ported from DR1 to DR2 costs 3.49 EUR. Isn't it a fair price?

Edited by MaXyMsrpl
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, elrojodp8 said:

Old locations are incredibly easy to produce and license, but for us users have the same price.
6 new and 6 old locations. All the old dlc be paid, only 2 new rally cars paid as dlc. The perfect business. against that anything is expensive to produce,

edit: ok, i'm angry for no new rally location, i support the game, it's excellent, I just wanted to say this

I think we have to accept, that racing games are quite niche nowadays (if it's not a Fortnite with cars like FH4 or a Mario Kart). Therefore it's pretty risky to invest that much work, time and money in a half year old racing game that maybe didn't sell as much as it deserved (now).

I miss the old times, where racing games, Jump'n'Runs and RPGs where the biggest genres.

Edited by UnderclassGDfan
accept, not except, lulz

Posted (edited)

Actually I'm wondering if I should buy the rally content only or the new season pass.

All the rally content is 19€ (2 locations and 6 cars)
Pass will probably be 29€. But it has special community challenges and D+ liveries... Think I'm gonna buy it to support Codies because they made a great game. But well, not sure if the WRX licence was worth the purchase. Hope their next rally game will be focused solely on rally, and eventually rally-raid and hillclimb.
Also they need to hire more environment artists ! Even the next GRID is reusing a lot of locations...

Edited by toninus
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

Obviously so.

TBH I don't know if they complain about lack of new original locations or about locations ported from DR1. Since they are not forced to buy anything, I would say it's about the first case.

How could I be so stupid? Now I just have reminded that Nearly year ago I asked for adding Finland or/and Sweden. You can find it in my topic 'DiRT Rally 2.0 content'. I also asked for Ford Focus RS 2001. However, it was rather about Colin McRae's Martini livery. Sorry for making a mess dudes.

images.png.2d3b6b4ac7fa64d84b843e192922d51f.png

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

Well PJ, when it comes to such things I haven't got any hope for adding ONLY new things to 'DiRT Rally 2.0' especially locations. However, it would be good if you think about adding more than 6 rally locations set really AROUND THE WORLD from the beginning while making the next game, 'DiRT Rally 3'.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, chukonu said:

@PJTierney

Do you have bigger versions of those images? Particularly the Greece ones.

I have them at 1920 x 1080 on my work machine.

They'l get shared on social soon.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

What comes me in mind is...will DR 2.0 including all DLCs be playable on the next X-Box (Scarlett)?

Phil Spencer already announced backwards compatibility and I think he said that everything that runs currently on X-Box One family will run on the next system except a few exceptions due to licensing.

I ask because I don't think a new DiRT game will arrive in 2020 (be it DiRT Rally 3 or DiRT 5) and I want to skip the X-Box One X for better performance if an even better system comes out in just a little over a year.

If there will be a 5th & 6th season, thats more likely I think. Same for GRID.

What do you guys think? (I don't expect a definitive answer from Codies here.)

If they do it right, they could keep DR 2.0 with seasons alive until the next DiRT-Game is ready, but maybe the team is not big enough for this kind of strategy 😄

Personally I would prefer Codies started to make 'DiRT Rally 3' than extending 'DiRT Rally 2.0' with DLCs like tapeworm. If they keep putting newer and newer ideas into the current game, they might have got a problem with making brand new content to create next 'DiRT Rally' game. At least it is my opinion.

• Disagree 3

19 minutes ago, toninus said:

Actually I'm wondering if I should buy the rally content only or the new season pass.

All the rally content is 19€ (2 locations and 6 cars)
Pass will probably be 29€. But it has special community challenges and D+ liveries... Think I'm gonna buy it to support Codies because they made a great game. But well, not sure if the WRX licence was worth the purchase. Hope their next rally game will be focused solely on rally, and eventually rally-raid and hillclimb.
Also they need to hire more environment artists ! Even the next GRID is reusing a lot of locations...

Definitely agree with you. In my opinion, if Codies plan to make 'DiRT Rally 3', they have got to start from the very beginning as I said before as far as I remember.

Posted (edited)

What's frustrating is the impression of buying DR1.0 again as a dlc. For the price of a full game (4 seasons will be 60€, while DR1.0 was on sale for like 15€).

I see 2 options for DR3 :

- Not much engine and other deep changes, DR2.0 tracks can be adapted for a cheap cost and they're included in the base game (with more tracks for each location). With 2 or 3 new ones, and 2 - 3 old ones kept for DLC (but with more than 2 tracks as well).

- Complete rework of the game on a new engine : Codies should work on procedural landscape generation and make it available for 5 or 6 locations minimum. If the procedural generation is on point, give it to the players. If it's not, tracks will need small hand polish but will cost less effort than producing a track from scratch, so a lot more would be available as DLC.

By procedural landscape generator, I mean something than generates a landscape first (eventually based on real map data), then adds roads on it. Not the tile system used in Dirt 4.

Edited by toninus
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, kombajnkoszoncy said:

Personally I would prefer Codies started to make 'DiRT Rally 3' than extending 'DiRT Rally 2.0' with DLCs like tapeworm. If they keep putting newer and newer ideas into the current game, they might have got a problem with making brand new content to create next 'DiRT Rally' game. At least it is my opinion.

I see it this way:

If they keep updating DR 2.0, the game gets bigger and better.

If they doing DR 3 it means it starts all over again.

The latter means maybe a unpolished game at release again, lots of new content, but not that much like in the old game and probably lots of missing fan-favourites.

At some point they have to make a new game, because of sales and game tech getting outdated, but we are close to a new console generation, wich means a much bigger jump in tech, wich alone is a selling point. Dirt Rally 3 or Dirt 5 doesn't make much sense in the near future. At least not this and next year.

Something similar happened with GRiD: Autosport: It released on X-Box 360 and PS3 in 2014, nearly one year after the new consoles arrived.

I bought it (the Limited Black Edition on X-Box 360), but never played it. It was outdated on release.

Posted (edited)

Another possibility would be DR3.0 being an stand alone / add-on for DR2.0.
People who buy DR3 would enjoy its content as a single new game, while DR2.0 people could mix it with former cars and tracks.

Edited by toninus

5 minutes ago, toninus said:

Another possibility would be DR3.0 being an stand alone / add-on for DR2.0.
People who buy DR3 would enjoy its content as a single new game, while DR2.0 people could mix it with former cars and tracks.

'DiRT Rally 3' as stand-alone DLC to 'DiRT Rally 2.0'? Nonsense. Better to make 'DiRT Rally 3' from the first letter of code.

Better to just continue developing DR2.0 imho. Would be awesome to get Season 5 and 6 and beyond. There are still directions they can go with this game.

• Agree 4

Yeah but selling new content as a stand alone would probably make more sales than just selling it as DLC...

23 minutes ago, toninus said:

What's frustrating is the impression of buying DR1.0 again as a dlc. For the price of a full game (4 seasons will be 60€, while DR1.0 was on sale for like 15€).

I see 2 options for DR3 :

- Not much engine and other deep changes, DR2.0 tracks can be adapted for a cheap cost and they're included in the base game (with more tracks for each location). With 2 or 3 new ones, and 2 - 3 old ones kept for DLC (but with more than 2 tracks as well).

- Complete rework of the game on a new engine : Codies should work on procedural landscape generation and make it available for 5 or 6 locations minimum. If the procedural generation is on point, give it to the players. If it's not, tracks will need small hand polish but will cost less effort than producing a track from scratch, so a lot more would be available as DLC.

By procedural landscape generator, I mean something than generates a landscape first (eventually based on real map data), then adds roads on it. Not the tile system used in Dirt 4.

If they plan to work on 'DiRT Rally 3' they will have got to include more than 6 locations in the base version of the game. At least 10. There is also one more important thing about tracks. They have got to be varied. You saw that despite of having got completely new locations, we still have got something like reverse or shorter version of particular stage. The same problem as in 'DiRT Rally 1'. However, as DR1 was the first game, we (at least I) forgave it such details.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, elrojodp8 said:

Just a thought, but how do you know for us users the prices would be the same? I'd hazard a guess that if they'd thrown away (gods forbid!) the DR1 location models and started with only new ones, we'd have had to pay a lot more for far fewer KMs. I understand if you'd prefer that, that's personal opinion, but I'm perfectly happy the way it's been done.

TBH, Finland will feel completely new to me; I hardly touched it in DR1 due to the floaty jump physics.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

If the current trend continues, they will simply... create a few new tracks now (in parallel) not add them to DR2 but keep them for DR3...

Then an they will simply remove some features, cars, and all tracks from this game, add in the “new” tracks ONLY and sell it for £60... then they will somehow get whoever is funding this disgusting model, to rebuy the DR2 content AGAIN with some new 4K textures and HDR tone mapping?

I mean they have been selling the same (and only) snow track for over a decade, even though it’s the same map and content since dirt 3. 

Great model for them, terrible for the consumer!

• Disagree 2

1 minute ago, SmelterBelter said:

If the current trend continues, they will simply... create a few new tracks now (in parallel) not add them to DR2 but keep them for DR3...

Then an they will simply remove some features, cars, and all tracks from this game, add in the “new” tracks ONLY and sell it for £60... then they will somehow get whoever is funding this disgusting model, to rebuy the DR2 content AGAIN with some new 4K textures and HDR tone mapping?

I mean they have been selling the same (and only) snow track for over a decade, even though it’s the same map and content since dirt 3. 

Great model for them, terrible for the consumer!

Not the same since 'DiRT 3'. In case of Sweden only the fact of appearing snow hasn't changed. In 'DiRT 3' snow location was even in another country, Norway.

• Agree 2