Noticeable head tracking lag with Index

PC specs:
Intel 6700K
GTX 1080ti
16GB RAM

I have every graphical setting set as low as possible.

I'm getting an distracting amount of lag when moving my head around in the Index. It causes quite a bit of discomfort. Is there anyway of fixing it?

• Agree 2

I have the same issue with the Index.

PC specs: 

Ryzen 1700X (overclocked to 3.8GHz)
Radeon Vega (on turbo settings)

Not everything on low, but I made sure that most of the time I can reach 90fps. Even with 90fps it feels weird when moving the head and I get motionsick quite easily.
Other games with 90fps are just fine, I don't get motion sick easily, normally.

Same here with Index and latest firmware and SteamVR (non beta). Even at 120Fps with HMD at 120Hz and in general independent on the frame rate. The issue is especially noticeable when being stationary with the vehicle. It feels like the tracking rate is at half the frame rate or similar. It is less noticeable when the car is moving.

6800K OC

1080Ti OC

32GB RAM

Windows 10 1607

Same, with Rift CV1 on SteamVR, and I've mentioned it on a couple of other threads before.

I'm on the low-end for VR, but easily get 45fps with ASW and Low-to-Med settings. If I turn everything down to the absolute lowest without ASW I think it sometimes hits 90fps, and even then there's this same "lag" on the head-tracking (actually it's perhaps more noticeable then, because I think 45fps with ASW masks it to some extent).

It's perhaps a subtle thing, so I could understand it not sticking out to some people. There's something there which isn't present in the original DR for example, or other VR driving titles. And I agree it's more noticeable when the car isn't moving.

To me, it looks like the head-tracking is perhaps 1 frame behind... although I think that would be more jarring/sickness inducing, so I actually suspect it's maybe trying to do some sort of "smoothing" or something to the head-tracking that's perhaps introducing a slight delay.

In addition, the HUD/overlay/timing info exhibits a similar kind of effect for me, only much worse. It looks like there's some kind of intentional "stabilisation" going on (like springs/damping!) The HUD/timing info kind of floats around semi-independently... rather than tracking 1:1, locked with the cockpit. If I shake my head left/right, the timing info sways over the rear-view mirror area, clearly not "locked" to the car. This is much more noticeable than the more subtle "lag" on the head-tracking related to the rest of the in-game world. I can only assume this is intentional for some reason...? Perhaps to improve readability during the more bumpy drives?

Steam / Deluxe / i5-4460 / GTX 970 / Oculus Rift CV1 / 16GB RAM / Win10 Pro 64-bit v1903

• Agree 1

This is also present in a Vive Pro here, it received a number of upvotes in the v1.7 VR bug reporting thread.

I would stress that I am not getting bad performance - the game looks great in medium settings and is comfortably hitting 90Fps with system specs per signature.  Further, there is no lag between control inputs and the car's response.  The issue appears to be entirely related to the positional and rotational tracking of the headset.  It is extremely noticeable when stationary at the start gate, but with less exaggerated head movements whilst moving, becomes less obvious.

Again, it is not a performance issue per se, it is a head tracking issue.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, YorkyPudsy said:

It's perhaps a subtle thing, so I could understand it not sticking out to some people. There's something there which isn't present in the original DR for example, or other VR driving titles. And I agree it's more noticeable when the car isn't moving.

I find it so bad, it is unbearable for me for more than a few seconds in a non-moving car. That is what is making me wonder, how on earth this was either not recognized during implementation (or at least testing) or why this has been accepted by management? Same goes for very hard read menus, a clear step back from DR 1. How can you have an obvious thing working in a prior release and then, seemingly consciously, change it for the obvious worse in the next release AND release it to the public?

I think I've got the same issue here

Super incomfortable when stationnary, inside the cockpit

No problem with driving or lag or whatever, not a perf issue

To me it feels more like, when tou're rotating your head (up/down mostly, also on the side) the rotation point is not exactly "inside" my head, but slightly outside, so the rotation is shifted, the whole landscape moves, and I throw up :-)

I'm afraid this is another thread about the same problem. Well then:

Here are the same impressions: Regardless of the resolution and details, the VR impression is laggy. It somehow feels like the movements are damped or just delayed

i7 8700K, 2080ti, 32GB, SSD only, Valve Index @90hz

On Oculus this translates into head movement stuttering instead of lag, I only get this exact same sensation when running opencomposite with a rift.

Try monitoriung your GPU usage on Oculus the head stuttering dissapears when running 80-90% GPU usage anything under that results in the head stutter.

Guys, without your HW specs, all such reports deserves nothing but a trash.
For example I experience no issues you are describing. So it's not like its issue which impacts all VR users.
FYI: I'm using Vive, GTX1080Ti