Your thoughts on the pricing for Season 3 + 4

Do you think the pricing for Season 3 + 4 is reasonable? [POLL]  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the price is reasonable?

• Yes, US$30 is reasonable
    • No, US$25 would be more reasonable
    • No, US$20 would be more reasonable

Posted (edited)

The current audience for this type of game is WAY to small to be nickle and diming customers with these prices. Yes, you will get the Rally hardcore buying everything, but you won't tap into a much larger 'rally curious' audience, you won't grow new fans and you'll **** off as many long time customers as you end up pleasing.

I still think CMs should have either:

a) waited 6 months and polished the bugs, built FFB that worked, finished VR and release everything as the base game - OR at the very least combined S1,2,3,4 as the 'Deluxe' part for an extra $20.

or

b) released the seasons as free updates

Either one of those options combined with what is a fundamentally brilliant base game, would have made this title as big or a bigger cult classic than DR1.

EDIT: Yes I realise 'cult classic' implies a niche audience, but DR1 sales figures were pretty damn good afaik - which is what I'm getting at.

10 hours ago, Mike Dee said:

We have pointed out every flaw and called CM out on it

Literally spat my coffee reading that from you. LOL

Edited by JesseDeya
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

I'm in the U.K so I wont vote on the price, over here its £24.99 and worth every penny in my book. 15 cars, 2 rally stages and the rallycross stages. Awesome. I hope they do more seasons. It's not very often we get a very good rally game come along, I hope they support it for a long time, this game will last me years as it is

• Agree 5

I'd be happy if I could buy just season 3 for half price of season 3&4 pack. Unfortunately I couldn't, so I'll probably buy just the content I'm interested in.

Problem is we are all too spoiled .....................go out to eat 2 times less,and voila you have the money for the season 3 and 4 DLC, IMHO. I mean i only buy 3-4 games a year and to know that i can budget for something i love has always  been a priority over simple things i can control do without.

• Disagree 2

Posted (edited)

Season 3 is a joke. 

It's a kick in the teeth for those of us who already bought the game & season pass,

Add to that the fact that today I tried to enter a daily event (H1 FWD, New Zealand) that I've played a hundreds times since Dirt Rally 2.0 released & I'm told I need to buy the new season pass to play it because they're now calling it a D+ event.  

Edited by nashathedog
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

Posted (edited)

In good old Euro land the price equates to ~33.16USD. Theres no way i will dish out that sorta money on ANOTHER(!) season pass. There is no relation between the pricing of the base game, 50€, and the pricing of the season passes, 60€, when you look at the content they provide respectively.

The base game provides you with:

-THE ACTUAL GAME(!!)

-6 locations (Argentinia, Australia, New Zealand, Poland, Spain, USA) and 8 RX tracks (Belgium, Canada, England, France, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden)

-39 rally cars (3 h1 cars, 2 h2 fwd cars, 4 h2 rwd cars, 6 h3 cars, 5 group b awd cars, 3 r2 cars, 4 group a cars, 2 nr4 cars, 6 r5 cars, 4 rgt cars)

-12 RX cars ( 3 s1600 cars, 1 crosskart, 1 rx2 car, 7 rx supercars)

Now look at what is in the season passes you dish out MORE money on than the base game

-6 locations (Finland, Germany, Greece, Monaco, Sweden, Wales) and 5 RX tracks (Abu Dhabi, England the second, Germany, Latvia, South Africa)

-14 rally cars (4 group b rwd cars, 3 f2 cars, 7 2000cc cars)

-12 RX cars (4 group b rallycross reskins and 8 2019 rx supercars many of which are in the base game in their non 2019 flavour)

More content is good. I like the content. However, they're not worth more than 30 euro COMBINED, which is why it better recieve the same 50% discount season 1+2 did. Then its well worth it.

Edited by TheRealPhil
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 4

@TheRealPhil @nashathedog I see both of you are kinda dissapointed Greece and Finland were not included in 1st deluxe pack... however when I had written somewhere on the forum that most players assumed  they will be included there, I was criticised and told I require too much...

The point is, I understand that game such like DR2.0 has to be kinda expensive (expensive to produce due to licenses and actual cost of modelling real stages but rather small audience), however I still find it's pricing policy not user-friendly.

Posted (edited)

@Pioy I'd be fine with the multiple season passes if the pricing were right. It simply isnt though, the math does not add up when you look at the content i so elaborately summarized for easy comparison. What it boils down to is that at 30€, the combined S1-4 would offer about the same content/price ratio the base game does. Or 15€ for s1-2 and s3-4.

I am ready to pay that for content a lot of which was in DR because im aware a lot of work has gone into improving and importing it into DR2.0. Valuing that higher than the work they put into the base game content is simply wrong though, i dont get how people get the idea it wasnt.

Edited by TheRealPhil

@TheRealPhil That's why I'm just going to buy what is interesting for me and when it will be discounted. However I'm extremely curious what about future seasons, becouse they have to contain non-recycled content (despite I will probably love Finland and like Greece).

• Agree 1

@TheRealPhil the DLC is almost doubling the content of the game though.

We went from 6 -> 12 rally stages

We went from 8 -> 13 RX stages

We went from 12 -> 24 RX cars

Sure, we didn't get as many Rally cars, I'll concede that. But we did nearly double the rest of the content, bringing in entirely new classes on top of it. $60 for the base game, and $60 to enhance it with almost double the content seems pretty fair to me. Maybe $20/ea would be a better price? But $30 for ALL of the content? Nah, you're crazy. There is way more than 30 hours worth of content in each bundle, so the prices are very fair.

• Agree 2

Hm, I paid 90€ for the base game (deluxe edition retail) + steelbook.

Now 27€ for S3+4-pass.

Assuming S1+2-pass is also 27€ here standalone:

117€ - 27€ - 27€ = 63€ for the base game. And 54€ for S1-4.

Yes, the DLC is more expensive compared to the content in the base game.

But...why?

I tell you: Because not everyone with a copy of the game will buy the DLC. It is extra content for the hardcore fanbase. DLC is always a bit more expensive in relation to the content in the base game. They do it to keep the game alive + squeeze a bit more money out of the game for better sales figures.

Developing videogames is pretty expensive these days and this way they can keep the 60€ target for the base game. I bought 20 years ago games for that price (and even more) for far less content and (obviously) worse tech.

• Like 2

@Mike Dee

Its 14 rally cars compared to 39.

Valuing each piece of new content equal, we get 78% of the content the base game had. The base game is 50€, 78% of which is 39€. Fine. 

Now, I do not like that comparison as the base game undoubtedly took more work, time, effort and MONEY to release than the dlc content. More development, programming, completely new assets, new UI, changes to the engine. It's a whole game, not just content.

39€? I guess I could get myself to pay that, the dlc content didnt cost them 78% as much as developing the game but Codies gotta eat aswell. But 60€ is downright scummy, far from fair as you have stated.

• Agree 1

You have to remember this is a “niche” market. Whether they sell 1,000,000 or 1,000 downloads the development time is the same. If they sold the quantity of dlc a game like Call of Duty does they could easily sell the dlc cheaper.

The majority agree that supporting further seasons is preferable to releasing a new game every couple of years. If you want this to continue you need to recognise that it has to be profitable.

cheer up. You can spend £15 for a single locomotive in Train Sim World.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, TheRealPhil said:

@Mike Dee

Its 14 rally cars compared to 39.

Valuing each piece of new content equal, we get 78% of the content the base game had. The base game is 50€, 78% of which is 39€. Fine. 

Now, I do not like that comparison as the base game undoubtedly took more work, time, effort and MONEY to release than the dlc content. More development, programming, completely new assets, new UI, changes to the engine. It's a whole game, not just content.

39€? I guess I could get myself to pay that, the dlc content didnt cost them 78% as much as developing the game but Codies gotta eat aswell. But 60€ is downright scummy, far from fair as you have stated.

You're forgetting to factor in the extra costs that they are charged by MS, Sony, steam etc for digital content sales. Not entirely sure of the figures and obviously it changes per country but they all take a large slice per sale, sure I read it eats more into their profit than disk manufacturing costs. That taxation is transferred onto us. Something to think about maybe. 

Or not, it doesn't really bother me, I tend to look at how good a game is, how rare it is we get a very good game in that genre, and how many hours of fun I am going to have from it. DR2.0 is amazing, we dont get many rally titles, let alone good ones, and I already have hundreds of hours on it, I'm not prepared to miss out on content because it may be a few £ over what I wanted to pay, and nor am I prepared to waste something even more valuable to me, my time, on thinking about the few £. 

Edited by battfinkz
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

I don't buy S3+S4 for 25 €. I can wait for a better Price 11,99 € or so. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, battfinkz said:

You're forgetting to factor in the extra costs that they are charged by MS, Sony, steam etc for digital content sales. Not entirely sure of the figures and obviously it changes per country but they all take a large slice per sale, sure I read it eats more into their profit than disk manufacturing costs. That taxation is transferred onto us. Something to think about maybe. 

Or not, it doesn't really bother me, I tend to look at how good a game is, how rare it is we get a very good game in that genre, and how many hours of fun I am going to have from it. DR2.0 is amazing, we dont get many rally titles, let alone good ones, and I already have hundreds of hours on it, I'm not prepared to miss out on content because it may be a few £ over what I wanted to pay, and nor am I prepared to waste something even more valuable to me, my time, on thinking about the few £. 

Everyone has to pay the same to these people and there's no country to country or developer to developer favouritism where cost is involved. Personally I preferred the old days where a game had a single description and a season pass involved all content developers intended releasing for the lifespan of the game. It's simple, 100% transparent and absolutely nobody can get upset about who is paying what at whichever time they choose to buy a game.

But in saying that, price has to reflect content and now that (for some) Dirt Rally 2 is officially a £100 game my personal feeling is that in when you like for like the content in this game against other racing/driving games then, well, decide for yourself if the price represents genuine value for money. Besides which, I will never ever purchase a game that's going to cost me in excess of £100 and I know i've said this before but if I would have been made aware from the off that in order to receive the rally content from Dirt Rally 1 I would have to continue purchasing beyond the deluxe edition then I would never have bought that version of the game in the first place. But hey, lesson learned and duly noted. Transparency - it's a much forgotten word nowadays. 

Anyhow, I made my decision - and that was to spend the extra £1.85 on top of the price of S3+S4 to buy Wreckfest (XB1). 

Edited by _BorisTheFrog_
  • Agree 3

15 minutes ago, _BorisTheFrog_ said:

Everyone has to pay the same to these people and there's no country to country or developer to developer favouritism where cost is involved. Personally I preferred the old days where a game had a single description and a season pass involved all content developers intended releasing for the lifespan of the game. It's simple, 100% transparent and absolutely nobody can get upset about who is paying what at whichever time they choose to buy a game.

But in saying that, price has to reflect content and now that (for some) Dirt Rally 2 is officially a £100 game my personal feeling is that in when you like for like the content in this game against other racing/driving games then, well, decide for yourself. Besides which, I will never ever purchase a game that's going to cost me in excess of £100 and I know i've said this before but if I would have been made aware from the off that in order to receive the rally content from Dirt Rally 1 I would have to continue purchasing beyond the deluxe edition then I would never have bought that version of the game in the first place. But hey, lesson learned and duly noted. Transparency - it's a much forgotten word nowadays. 

Anyhow, I made my decision - and that was to spend the extra £1.85 on top of the price of S3+S4 to buy Wreckfest (XB1). 

The costs certainly do differ from country to country. Take Brazil for example. Someone I know has to pay 200 BRA real for this new season pass, which is a whopping £40. But my point was that digital content incurs more charges.

I look at it from another perspective, the base game was standard price, it wasnt a £100 game, the base version had the typical codies rally title amount of content, the optional dlc is just that, optional. It will only appeal to people who love playing the game, as it's worth the money for the amount of hours they will play it. They were always clear about what content the first seasons had, and we all knew there was more dr1 content not announced like Finland and Greece, and put 2 and 2 together.

But each to their own mate, they'll never please all of us, it's an impossible task

When someone says "the game was £60, why is the DLC £60", the answer is economy of scale.

The DLC is optional, buy it if you are into the game (as folk on this forum are) and want to expand upon that. But it will sell much less than a brand new game. 

Honestly, I don't look at games which aren't sold as a foundation for ongoing development any more; it's just much better IMO. Assetto Corsa, Warhammer TW, Hearts of Iron IV (actually, Paradox take it too far for my liking so I don't really buy), Il2 Strurmovik BoS, ARMA3... I much prefer this model to the 'EA Sports' or 'COD' model of releasing a new title each year personally.

So yes, I'm happy with the prices and I wouldn't mind the opportunity to spend even more on rally DLC in future! 

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, battfinkz said:

The costs certainly do differ from country to country. Take Brazil for example. Someone I know has to pay 200 BRA real for this new season pass, which is a whopping £40. But my point was that digital content incurs more charges.

Unless i'm hopelessly misreading things your point was focusing on developer costs and not differing consumer prices in various regions.

18 minutes ago, _BorisTheFrog_ said:

Unless i'm hopelessly misreading things your point was focusing on developer costs and not differing consumer prices in various regions.

Yes, that’s what i thought his initial point was about.  

1 minute ago, RodgerDavies said:

W I much prefer this model to the 'EA Sports' or 'COD' model of releasing a new title each year personally.

So yes, I'm happy with the prices and I wouldn't mind the opportunity to spend even more on rally DLC in future! 

It's interesting you should say that because the original COD policy on XBox 360 was always that of a single season pass covering all content - and I know because I bought them (COD:WAW thru to Blops 2). Thinking a little further forward EA/Digital Illusions released Battlefield 1 with the same 'one price buys all' policy so it kind of does prove that you can release sensibly priced DLC alongside a triple A game that appeals to both casual and hardcore gamers alike. You can't even argue that rally is a niche product and DLC pricing is reflective of that point because DR1 generated multi-million pound sales - and that my friend is most definately not niche. 

yikes. stop sniping at each other. I've already said my piece on page 1.

if you're not happy with the price, buy the s3+4 pass when it's on sale and be done with it. or don't buy it at all. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, _BorisTheFrog_ said:

Apologies if I didnt make myself clear. I was indeed referring to costs. Simply wanted to point out that the base game is more expensive via digital due to the added losses they get from digital sales, so realistically content within dlc costs more than it does in the base game as they pass those stoppages onto us. I was not sure if you were comparing the base game on disk price or digital.

And I am in no way 'sniping' at anyone if that was aimed at me, nothing wrong with a healthy back and forth on a forum 😉

Edited by battfinkz
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, ianism said:

yikes. stop sniping at each other. I've already said my piece on page 1.

if you're not happy with the price, buy the s3+4 pass when it's on sale and be done with it. or don't buy it at all. 

master.png

• Haha 1