Your thoughts on the pricing for Season 3 + 4

Do you think the pricing for Season 3 + 4 is reasonable? [POLL]  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the price is reasonable?

• Yes, US$30 is reasonable
    • No, US$25 would be more reasonable
    • No, US$20 would be more reasonable

Posted (edited)

since i made the thread i'll chime in again.

ended up buying the season pass a day or two ago as there's enough content i think to keep me interested. unlike a lot of people it seems i actually love rallycross so looking forward to season 4.

still think it's a little bit overpriced though ... would have preferred 20-25USD. or at least a discount for deluxe edition owners to bring the price for us more in line with the 'super ultra spaftastic deluxe' whatever it's called.

thought about waiting for a sale but i honestly can't see them putting the season pass on sale before until at least after the release of Greece. i think a ton of people are going to be mighty peeved off if they put it on sale before that.

interesting how at the time of writing this, the poll is exactly evenly split between people saying they're happy with $30 and people saying they would have preferred $20 (27 people each). decent sample size too at 60 people total. guess there are more lurkers on here than i thought haha.

Edited by Tranzitive
  • Like 1

I can’t believe how many people are griping about the cost. Regardless of what country you are in - the price is nominal. Chances are if you are posting on this forum, 7 months after release - you are a supporter and Rally die hard. All of this material costs money to produce, implement, to move along the pipeline. At this juncture most of us have poured 100 hours plus in to the game. Yet some still complain about the cost being too much? How many things in life do you spend ~$30 on that provide enjoyment for a mere fraction of time comparatively speaking!? If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. For me and many others it’s an absolute no brainer, peanuts at the end of the day...

If we want Codie’s to make improvements and keep pumping out Rally games, then the asking price is a small one IMHO. Get on board and anti up - or get off and stop complaining about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Buckwilder said:

I can’t believe how many people are griping about the cost. Regardless of what country you are in - the price is nominal. Chances are if you are posting on this forum, 7 months after release - you are a supporter and Rally die hard. All of this material costs money to produce, implement, to move along the pipeline. At this juncture most of us have poured 100 hours plus in to the game. Yet some still complain about the cost being too much? How many things in life do you spend ~$30 on that provide enjoyment for a mere fraction of time comparatively speaking!? If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. For me and many others it’s an absolute no brainer, peanuts at the end of the day...

If we want Codie’s to make improvements and keep pumping out Rally games, then the asking price is a small one IMHO. Get on board and anti up - or get off and stop complaining about it.

I normally agree with you on most things, but I feel like this is misguided for a number of reasons. Let's breakdown the common "pro" arguments here:

1) This is the cost of a nice steak dinner. I spend more on beer at the pub on a Friday.

All true, all largely irrelevant to the subject at hand. We're talking about the DLC of a video game, so the relative cost must be compared against that standard, not another one. I won't go into how expensive this DLC is compared to other similar games - it has been covered before - but it's not great value in an apples/apples comparison.

2) If you divide this by the number of hours played it's chump change. It's amazing value in hrs/$.

True, if indeed you get that many hours out of it. I'd suggest that whilst the people here are the supporters who love rally games, and will probably get value out of the DLC regardless of the price-gouging cost, they represent a tiny tiny tiny handful of the customer base. More importantly, an even tinier percentage of the potential customer base. If they are trying to onboard new players who have been waiting for this game to mature, good luck! The Super Deluxe Edition (arguably the cheapest way to get the complete game) is $100USD - for this game to sell and become a commercial success it needs to appeal to the casual rally fan, and that person (most of the other dads I know) will absolutely balk at that price as the cost of entry.

Even as a hardcore fan, it can't be good to see your favourite genre struggle for success, especially after Dirt Rally 1.0 was so well received.

3) It costs money to develop, Codemasters can't do it for free:

Everything is a cost/benefit calculus and in the games industry development is quite often still a gamble when it comes to ROI. That said, you often get ROI and risk-reduce future projects by building a large and loyal satisfied customer base. Every move I've seen CMs do with Dirt Rally 2.0 seems contrary to that logic. 

4) There is nothing else offering Rally at this level, we should be grateful for extra content regardless of the cost.

See point 2, that is the quickest way to niche this title out of existence. I like Rally and can certainly afford to throw money at the DLC, but that isn't the point and it doesn't make the DLC concept they have chosen and aggressive pricing strategy any less wrong. We can anti up all we want, it won't make a difference.

Edited by JesseDeya
typos
  • Agree 7
  • Disagree 1

On 8/29/2019 at 8:40 PM, Pioy said:

@TheRealPhil @nashathedog I see both of you are kinda dissapointed Greece and Finland were not included in 1st deluxe pack... however when I had written somewhere on the forum that most players assumed  they will be included there, I was criticised and told I require too much...

The point is, I understand that game such like DR2.0 has to be kinda expensive (expensive to produce due to licenses and actual cost of modelling real stages but rather small audience), however I still find it's pricing policy not user-friendly.

Hi,  I'm not as disappointed in the new events etc as much as I am in the fact that online daily events I used to enjoy can now be put behind a D+ blocking me from racing in them. 

It would be okay if the D+ events were extra events but they are not, they reduce the number of daily, weekly & monthly online events available to those of us who've been playing the Deluxe Edition since release, 

If they wanted to put new content behind a paywall fine, I could live with that & I was going to buy it but once I found that they were blocking events I had previously been playing & reducing the number of daily online events available to us down I cut & run. 

10 hours ago, nashathedog said:

Hi,  I'm not as disappointed in the new events etc as much as I am in the fact that online daily events I used to enjoy can now be put behind a D+ blocking me from racing in them. 

It would be okay if the D+ events were extra events but they are not, they reduce the number of daily, weekly & monthly online events available to those of us who've been playing the Deluxe Edition since release, 

If they wanted to put new content behind a paywall fine, I could live with that & I was going to buy it but once I found that they were blocking events I had previously been playing & reducing the number of daily online events available to us down I cut & run. 

Do you not understand how the D+ events work? They are used exclusively for the active season.

If you don't have the active season, you don't get the D+ events. D+ was always intended for the DLC content owners. Deluxe got you S1 + S2, which allowed you to participate in all of the D+ [S1/S2] events - but it doesn't mean you get to magically participate in the S3/S4 events too...

Am I the only one who doesn't find this hard to understand? D+ is "current season event" and nothing more.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 4

Posted (edited)

You guys have to consider the amount of content being brought. Many of you are just looking at the rally content, in which if you only want to purchase that, it'll be around 17€.

I'm sure if both seasons were rally-only content, noone would be complaining this much. Take the RX pricing out of equation and things get more bearable.

In my opinion the pricing is right and just, given the amount of content coming in these 2 seasons. There's no way 20 dollars would pay off two seasons, plus DLC in other games are quite more expensive than this (take Assetto Corsa and Forza Horizon 4 for an instance) in terms of content per dollar and/or hour/$. Do not forget from where the DiRT Rally spin-off genre came from, and the current circunstances with all the individual brand licensing bs this studio has to deal. This is not a FIA supported title by no means. It is a title supported by us, to us.

Edited by Riggs
  • Agree 6

On 8/31/2019 at 3:55 AM, Buckwilder said:

At the moment I will wait until the bugs from 1.0 are fixed.

For me the stutter bug reading the HID devices is the most important one. Also the invisible obstacles and Racenet with career reset is also not fixed.

This attitude pay and support the developers even if they don't really try to fix their things is for me not understandable. For e.g. a few months ago the Fanatec SDK was updated and Kunos implemented it after 2 weeks but CM haven't done it until now. This should be a simple fix but instead they are pumping buggy DLCs at the market ...

7 hours ago, Peter Mathen said:

At the moment I will wait until the bugs from 1.0 are fixed.

For me the stutter bug reading the HID devices is the most important one. Also the invisible obstacles and Racenet with career reset is also not fixed.

This attitude pay and support the developers even if they don't really try to fix their things is for me not understandable. For e.g. a few months ago the Fanatec SDK was updated and Kunos implemented it after 2 weeks but CM haven't done it until now. This should be a simple fix but instead they are pumping buggy DLCs at the market ...

@Peter Mathen & @JesseDeya

I understand your positions. There is no question the game has experienced its share of difficulties. As to why, and how - remains an unknown but it’s a shame because otherwise the game is fantastic in many (most) respects. Forgive my blatant post above - but I am firmly rooted in my position that they are aware, do care - and will fix as many of these persistent issues as they can in due course. Unfortunately these things take time, and CM is a smaller studio with a few titles of large magnitude all being developed simultaneously (F1, Grid, DR2 etc.)

At the end of the day, I have always appreciated their games, and I will support the asking price as I don’t feel it is inordinate in terms of the value to price ratio. That being said I understand the position you and others have in regard to this matter - and respect your decision of course. I just want the problems fixed, and new content developed. Peeps have been beating on them since the day the game came out, justified in some cases and exaggerated in others. Let’s not forget this is unequivocally the best rally title out there - and it is my preference to support and encourage instead of break down and discourage. The ROI is most likely lacking given the circumstances since release (their doing not ours I concede). If I can can play a small part in the progression by paying a nominal amount to that aids in furthering the longevity and collective success of this title - than I am happy to do so.

By the same token, those who opt otherwise are not ‘wrong’, or misguided. The preference to support the price, wilfully or otherwise is to each their own. My position (or yours), on the matter is completely permissible and justified, I suppose it all boils down to perceived value - to which my decision is that of it being well worth the price of admission. 😉

Edited by Buckwilder
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

I’ve invested $120 in this game (seems like a lot) but after all content is released, it’s basically two games worth. I would rather pony up the full amount and get all the content at release rather than get it piecemeal over a year.  By the time the final content is out I’ve run some of the stages so many times I’ve gotten tired of them.

I will have to say that previews of WRC8 shows it has the potential of offering nearly as much content at a lower price though.

• Agree 1

As graphics have improved, the effort required by engineers has become immeasurable. (4K Texture etc..)
I sympathize with the engineers.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cjr3559 said:

I’ve invested $120 in this game (seems like a lot) but after all content is released, it’s basically two games worth. I would rather pony up the full amount and get all the content at release rather than get it piecemeal over a year.  By the time the final content is out I’ve run some of the stages so many times I’ve gotten tired of them.

I will have to say that previews of WRC8 shows it has the potential of offering nearly as much content at a lower price though. 

After 7 months, Dirt Rally has become boring for me as well. I already know the DLC routes from Dirt Rally

On 8/31/2019 at 3:55 AM, Buckwilder said:

Sorry mate but if its gunna be 10 kilos of dog food that doesnt give my pooch the squits and Season 3+4 battling it out as to what gives me more enjoyment for the same price, its gunna be the dog food. 

I am a die hard rally fan who's been living and breathing rally since the age of 4 back when McRae was still around whipping his Focus, but one to whom 30€ is a buttload of money. I am sure what they'd miss out on if it were 20€ they'd gain back in more sales, theres many more like me who are just waiting for a price drop.

• Confused 2

The question doesn't make much sense - ask it here, and you'll get a bunch of people praising the ability to pay over $120 for a full game. Ask it in the Steam forums and you'll get a bunch of people saying this game is a rip-off. The real question is - which of these groups is larger and can realistically affect the income of Codies? Well, consult the Steam reviews and Steamcharts.

Releasing maps as paid DLC is a pretty 2010's move, a time when every little piece of content was locked behind a paywall, a season pass and maybe a preorder bonus. With the rise of free-to-plays and increased consumer awareness, it became apparent that updating the game and keeping it alive isn't a granted privilege, but should be expected from a quality developer. Monetizing is one thing, but keeping the game fresh is another.

On one part, I am feeling for Codemasters. There is literally no way of continuously monetizing a game like that without nickel-and-diming the customer on every little part of content you produce. You can't even do the gracious thing and release a $30 "expansion" with exactly the same content, because one - "expansions" suggest new mechanics and significant improvements, not just iterating old gameplay; and two - if you've released an unfinished game, then you must rush to both repair it and keep the interest of those that can overlook its flaws.

But on the other, they've made their bed. They've been making these types of games for over two decades and they should be familiar with its traps. DiRT Rally 2.0 is in no way revolutionary, it is what it says in the title - "DiRT Rally second version".

• Agree 1

On 9/1/2019 at 5:42 AM, Mike Dee said:

Am I the only one who doesn't find this hard to understand? D+ is "current season event" and nothing more.

You're the only one with a selective memory. D+ events are high reward events, and they were present in the game BEFORE the seasons went live. They don't use Seasonal content and they only offer high rewards on content from the base game. The only association with seasons is a retrospective one, where apparently the colours are supposed to indicate a season. None of this, absolutely NONE of this was explained prior to the last few days.

Do you not understand how the D+ events work? They are used exclusively for the active season.

By Codemaster's own admission from March, the D+ events were for owners of the Deluxe edition. The hint is in the name D for Deluxe, + for extra reward. There was never an end date nominated for the seasons, or for the content in seasons, or for these activities, until once again two days ago. What other time limited function is associated with the 'seasons'? None, zero, nada.

If you don't have the active season, you don't get the D+ events. D+ was always intended for the DLC content owners.

So you would be able to show us evidence of that being specifically indicated then? What is an "active" season? Until PJ announced two days ago that season's even had end dates NOBODY here was talking about season's "ending". Seasons represented the release of new content, none of which had expiry associated with it. I'm happy to be proven wrong, I'll wait patiently.

Deluxe got you S1 + S2, which allowed you to participate in all of the D+ [S1/S2] events - but it doesn't mean you get to magically participate in the S3/S4 events too...

What is a "D+ [S1/S2]" event? You've literally just made that term up.

They are labelled D+ events and don't contain any season specific content. We were told explicitly that D+ events were for Deluxe Edition owners.

What are these S3/S4 events you refer to? D+ events are still called D+, and they still don't contain ANY season specific content (or ANY reference to season 3/4), but that I can no longer access as Deluxe Edition owner.

PJ retrospectively explaining - 7 months later - that when the tiny coloured D+ icon changed we were supposed to know that was a season change, and oh-by-the-way they have end dates and oh-by-the-way you need to buy season 3&4 to continue access to the thing we told you would have access to as a Deluxe Edition owner.... is not ok.

You are the only one who finds this hard to understand.

• Agree 3

T300/racing rig

ps4/pro,

somtimes iracing on the PC ,

too many sims games to list,

league owner,

i am liking dirt rally 2.0 as I did dirt rally 1.0 lol,

the Rally X is excellent ,very good graphics brilliant ffb and cars sound amazing,

some of the rally is ok but some of the locations the ffb is abit lazy unlike the 1st dirt rally,

but overall I like dirt rally 2.0 and I can see it from both sides over the extra price for season 3/4 ,

my advice us either buy it now or wait until there's a sale on, 

i bought dirt rally 2.0 brand new £15 disc version few months ago then bought the deluxe pack in sale £9.99 week or 2 ago,  so at that price I am very happy,

which makes up for the rubbish price of f12019 Senna vs Prost which I am huge Senna fan since the eighties , sorry Mr Senna

£65 Senna vs Prost ,they started off from day one release with a truly brilliant ffb sim for wheel users ,it was on same level as pcars2 and iracing up to patch 1.05 ,then the ffb has been so badly muted that only pad users race on that game,

wheel vs pad was equal from day one release ,now pad is 1 to 3 seconds faster depending on track and it's truly impossible to keep up with  pad users ,

how do I know this ,the few in our league have not suddenly got that much faster in 4 patches due to skill,

that also shows in time trail,

the future of all sim or racing games will be with a wheel , so I don't understand when codemasters know how to make a sim with brilliant ffb would suddenly change there minds with f12019 and make ffb muted ,

only thoses in charge know that answer ,

i do hope they revert back to patch 1.05 or Atleast  put a post out saying why ffb was muted for wheel users ,

Edited by senna94f1

23 minutes ago, JesseDeya said:

Seasons represented the release of new content, none of which had expiry associated with it. I'm happy to be proven wrong,

Be happy that seasons 1 and 2 which are still available to buy, are not expired for using them 😉 😉

22 hours ago, Buckwilder said:

CM is a smaller studio with a few titles of large magnitude all being developed simultaneously (F1, Grid, DR2 etc.)

Im sorry, but what?????

Codemasters is hardly a small studio, it is a company that is split into smaller studios. But they are not small as an overall company. They not only have multiple locations (and teams), but they was able to hire all of evolution studios after Sony ditched them in 2016.

Their locations (which are all listed on this website)

Southam
Chesire
Birmingham
Kuala Lumpar
India

With regards to the price of the DLC, I am actually fine with it. I understand work has been put in on the DLC. What I dont like however, is Codemasters lack of transparency in regards to things; such as VR and the current D+ event issue. Things that could have been avoided if they were honest from the outset of these two aspects. Hell, even further force feedback development seems to have stalled, according to what @PJTierney has stated recently, and to the best of their knowledge. Which is contrary to what they stated when the first (and currently only) round of FFB fixes were implemented.

Its not a good look.

Edited by Ialyrn
  • Agree 1

What does Dirt Rall 2.0 have to offer?
12 rallies and 49 cars (with Season Pass 1-4)
But really new are only: Poland, New Zealand and Argentina all other rallies are known from Dirt Rally or Dirt 4
And what else does Dirt Rally 2.0 offer us?
A rally championship with such a high degree of difficulty that it is only interesting for professionals and the rallycross championship
You could have saved yourself the online events you drive mostly only the rallies in the main game.
Conclusion the main game without a season pass is enough and if you want to ride the other rallies you buy the old dirt rally
And one thing is already certain I will not buy the next Dirt Rally game for Relase so stupid was I only this year
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ialyrn said:

Im sorry, but what?????

Codemasters is hardly a small studio, it is a company that is split into smaller studios. But they are not small as an overall company. They not only have multiple locations (and teams), but they was able to hire all of evolution studios after Sony ditched them in 2016.

Their locations (which are all listed on this website)

Southam
Chesire
Birmingham
Kuala Lumpar
India

With regards to the price of the DLC, I am actually fine with it. I understand work has been put in on the DLC. What I dont like however, is Codemasters lack of transparency in regards to things; such as VR and the current D+ event issue. Things that could have been avoided if they were honest from the outset of these two aspects. Hell, even further force feedback development seems to have stalled, according to what @PJTierney has stated recently, and to the best of their knowledge. Which is contrary to what they stated when the first (and currently only) round of FFB fixes were implemented.

Its not a good look.

So I stand corrected, was not aware of their footprint. Regardless, it doesn’t change my stance on the relative worth/cost of the DLC.

On 8/31/2019 at 9:42 PM, Mike Dee said:

If you don't have the active season, you don't get the D+ events. D+ was always intended for the DLC content owners. Deluxe got you S1 + S2, which allowed you to participate in all of the D+ [S1/S2] events - but it doesn't mean you get to magically participate in the S3/S4 events too...

exclusively  and Boring !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, gleylancer571 said:

What does Dirt Rall 2.0 have to offer?
12 rallies and 49 cars (with Season Pass 1-4)
But really new are only: Poland, New Zealand and Argentina all other rallies are known from Dirt Rally or Dirt 4
And what else does Dirt Rally 2.0 offer us?
A rally championship with such a high degree of difficulty that it is only interesting for professionals and the rallycross championship
You could have saved yourself the online events you drive mostly only the rallies in the main game.
Conclusion the main game without a season pass is enough and if you want to ride the other rallies you buy the old dirt rally
And one thing is already certain I will not buy the next Dirt Rally game for Relase so stupid was I only this year

It offers ~300km of the best modelled rally stages ever in a game. And regardless of what you say, 6 of those locations are new stages (sure, they share some textures with D4, but so what? That's like complaining that a new venue in the F1 game isn't new because it uses the same barrier textures as another circuit.).

It offers the ability to drive them with a lot of cars from a lot of eras and, even though the list isn't complete, there's superb variety in there.

And in DR2 it offers the ability to do this with vastly improved physics from DR1, as well as numerous gameplay improvements.

It offers a game that is a challenge to all levels, no matter how good you are; you can't easily 'beat' the game without being a great driver (and I say that as someone who cannot beat Tier 4).

So yes, you know what. I agree with you - the main game without a season pass is enough. But with a season pass, it's so much more and I love it for that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 2

DiRT Rally 1: 6 rallies, less than 50 cars. People cried for paid DLC to expand it further.

DiRT Rally 2.0: 6 rallies with over 50 cars at launch. 4 paid seasons of good DLC (in my perspective ofc), unfortunately more RX than i wished for but it's alright, and some people are losing their minds.

This has been said countless times by various players: this is the best rally game we have to date, and right now we have the possibility of running a full championship calendar in the DiRT Rally series. Don't put that in the bin. S3 rally content is estimated @ 17€, not 30. It's still a bargain, despite the stages being imported from DR1, there's the 206 coming in after so many years absent, plus the returning stages have had stage degradation implemented, and some texture work among a few other things that require time and manpower to work on.

Do not overlook the returning rallies are just a mere recycle. These stages are run every year on WRC (well except for Greece), so it is expectable for these stages to keep returning to rallies. Not even WRC8 is able to replicate Finland, and it's the official IP.

The community got what it asked for, and they have been transparent from day one regarding Deluxe Edition coverage. It was very explicit that D+ events were for Deluxe Edition owners only, and that it would include only Season 1 and Season 2. It was written way before the game released, only for those who wanted to read it.

Edited by Riggs
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Riggs said:

Do not overlook the returning rallies are just a mere recycle. These stages are run every year on WRC (well except for Greece), so it is expectable for these stages to keep returning to rallies. Not even WRC8 is able to replicate Finland, and it's the official IP.

That’s true, nothing wrong with having the 6 dirt rally 1 in this game ( or future games) as they are great countries, but if they decide to put them into the next dirt rally game again, then we need new corners/stages as the problem with them is not the quality, it’s just the familiarity, especially with it being a rally game. 

They can reuse whatever assets they like, but i want some new corners /stages in the next game for these dr1 locations. 

Edited by Pieman99
  • Agree 1

Real rally drivers are probably quite familiar with the stages that they race on year after year.... 🤔

You could say that the experience that many people want - of being challenged by new unfamiliar stage after new unfamiliar stage - is just that of a rookie rally driver 😜

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Malling said:

Real rally drivers are probably quite familiar with the stages that they race on year after year.... 🤔

You could say that the experience that many people want - of being challenged by new unfamiliar stage after new unfamiliar stage - is just that of a rookie rally driver 😜

But real rally drivers have more than 16km of stages to remember per rally 😂

• Agree 1