Server Maintenance Notice - October 14 to October 17 Read more... ×

Your thoughts on the pricing for Season 3 + 4

Do you think the pricing for Season 3 + 4 is reasonable? [POLL]  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the price is reasonable?

• Yes, US$30 is reasonable
    • No, US$25 would be more reasonable
    • No, US$20 would be more reasonable

Compared to the base price of the game, which I find about 10€ to expensive, the DLCs are too expensive. Even not considering the stages are 'only' remasters from DR1, all Seasons are too expensive. So 40€ for the base game and 25-30€ at max for the DLC.

And this is only for if the game wasn't always-on with regards to the campaign/ championship. So personally I would not dump 90€ into an online-only single player game (for me!).

@the guys, who are fine with the pricing and indicating they would pay more, here is an advice: Never apply for work in purchasing.

• Agree 1

As a deluxe owner i find having to pay for season 3 and 4 quite insulting seeing as i already paid 74.99 at launch and yes im aware deluxe only came with 2 seasons and thats my gripe.

• Agree 1

So, what CM should have done if they hadn't been considering season 3 and 4 at time of establishing a content of Deluxe package?

Should they:

1. give season 3 and 4 for free to all deluxe owners

or

2. do not release additional seasons at all?

please try to be serious answering this question.

38 minutes ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

So, what CM should have done if they hadn't been considering season 3 and 4 at time of establishing a content of Deluxe package?

For them to have the old cars/tracks from Dirt Rally 1 ready for upcoming releases (plus the new rallycross content), they would have had to have been working on them at the bare minimum of 6 months ago, if not longer. Anyone who has done any form of 3d modeling work and texture works, knows those two aspects are time consuming; especially when it comes to making/updating cars and tracks for racing games. And thats not even taking into account any additional work such as audio and coding. So season 3 and 4 would have had to have been in their mission statement for a good while.

Please keep in mind, I am not saying they should be free. Just pointing out that season 3 and 4, in terms of the work needed/done, would have had to have been in the pipeline for a good long while.

DLC price I think is fair, as I keep saying. For me it is their lack of transparency that has put me off buying the new DLC.

Edited by Ialyrn
  • Like 1

Really depends on how much of it you want, and if you think the price for single DLCs is adequate.

I think €2 for a single car is debatable but ok if you really want that car. €3.50 for a location is absolutely fair, even if it's a remaster of DR1. I mean, they don't "only" upgrade how they look, they also add track deformation and re-record all the pace notes with Phil Mills. That's a lot of work and the price is fine.

Now if you only want rally the season 3+4 pass is probably too expensive for you, but if you like both rally and RX it's ok. I mean, they give you the choice. You can either just pick the cherries by buying them individually or you can say "I want everything", then the season pass is ok I guess.

Just took another look, season 3+4 contains 5 stages and 14 cars, bought individually that's 5 x €3.50 + 14 x €2 = €45.50. So if you must have everything, I guess €30 for the whole package is ok, if not exactly a bargain. €20-25 would have been nicer but I also don't think €30 is inadequately expensive.

I mean, if you only want some of it you can buy it individually, if you want everything but don't have to have it instantly, you can wait for a sale. If you must have everything as soon as possible, you're probably a big fan playing this game an awful lot, and so €30 may not be that much considering how many hours of joy you get.

Bottom line: €30 isn't cheap, but I also don't think it's unreasonably much.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

55 minutes ago, Ialyrn said:

For them to have the old cars/tracks from Dirt Rally 1 ready for upcoming releases (plus the new rallycross content), they would have had to have been working on them at the bare minimum of 6 months ago,

And anyone who works in any form of IT knows that just because you are working on something now, or even finished it, has almost zero bearing on whether that is ever released. Plenty of projects are started and then canceled right near the finish line because priorities shifted. In this scenario is is very likely CM was considering a S3/S4 and began investing in it hoping that the base game and S1/S2 would sell well enough to warrant finishing development of S3/S4.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Mike Dee said:

And anyone who works in any form of IT knows that just because you are working on something now, or even finished it, has almost zero bearing on whether that is ever released. Plenty of projects are started and then canceled right near the finish line because priorities shifted. In this scenario is is very likely CM was considering a S3/S4 and began investing in it hoping that the base game and S1/S2 would sell well enough to warrant finishing development of S3/S4.

And anyone working on video games would know, that producing release-quality content with an outset of "maybe we'll use it" doesn't happen even in the most amateur of studios. You'll never hear a producer say "this person/team will produce /model/ within two weeks, it'll cost us $xxxx, lets do it just in case". Most content gets cut because, while it was expected to be ready for release, it was left unfinished - usually due to designer/producer error.
We already know that they had a Subaru ready prior to release - there's absolutely nothing weird about it, most DLC is usually ready, at least in prototype, before release. But the correlation between cost of making a model and cost of releasing it isn't in any way 1:1.

And that's all omitting the fact that, as an informed and non-delusional consumer, you should not factor the raw cost of producing a good into your purchase decision - only about getting good bang for your buck. After all, you are not a charity.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Pieman99 said:

That’s true, nothing wrong with having the 6 dirt rally 1 in this game ( or future games) as they are great countries, but if they decide to put them into the next dirt rally game again, then we need new corners/stages as the problem with them is not the quality, it’s just the familiarity, especially with it being a rally game. 

They can reuse whatever assets they like, but i want some new corners /stages in the next game for these dr1 locations. 

Yes! At least 1 extra route (they currently use 1 route) would be awesome. I think that's the main wish from the community now, more than the cars.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Ialyrn said:

For them to have the old cars/tracks from Dirt Rally 1 ready for upcoming releases (plus the new rallycross content), they would have had to have been working on them at the bare minimum of 6 months ago, if not longer. Anyone who has done any form of 3d modeling work and texture works, knows those two aspects are time consuming; especially when it comes to making/updating cars and tracks for racing games. And thats not even taking into account any additional work such as audio and coding. So season 3 and 4 would have had to have been in their mission statement for a good while.

Please keep in mind, I am not saying they should be free. Just pointing out that season 3 and 4, in terms of the work needed/done, would have had to have been in the pipeline for a good long while.

DLC price I think is fair, as I keep saying. For me it is their lack of transparency that has put me off buying the new DLC.

At first they could have started/made decision about season3/4 pre-order (very likely), which still meets your criteria. So a year ago. They couldn't have change content of Deluxe package at release (considering Season3/4 what planed at this point what I doubt), because it would harm pre-ordering customers.

At second it's effectively no difference, considering what players complaining about, if limited content of Deluxe would be informed at beginning or not. It would matter if players complaining about inability to make decision between buying Deluxe or not. Theoretically CM could have inform that Deluxe will contain S1+S2 but not S3+S4, which will be released later as extra paid package. But IMO I doubt it would change anything since Deluxe lovers are buying it for sentiment or lower price.

Yes, it could make it more transparent, but I'm quite sure they might didn't know about this at right time. Even if... I think most people here are complaining about something different (ie total cost of complete content incl additional, DLCs)

Edited by MaXyMsrpl
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

At first they could have started/made decision about season3/4 pre-order (very likely), which still meets your criteria. So a year ago. They couldn't have change content of Deluxe package at release (considering Season3/4 what planed at this point what I doubt), because it would harm pre-ordering customers.

At second it's effectively no difference, considering what players complaining about, if limited content of Deluxe would be informed at beginning or not. It would matter if players complaining about inability to make decision between buying Deluxe or not. Theoretically CM could have inform that Deluxe will contain S1+S2 but not S3+S4, which will be released later as extra paid package. But IMO I doubt it would change anything since Deluxe lovers are buying it for sentiment or lower price.

Yes, it could make it more transparent, but I'm quite sure they might didn't know about this at right time. Even if... I think most people here are complaining about something different (ie total cost of complete content incl additional, DLCs)

I bet some people would not have bought the Deluxe Edition, if they new from the start it will not contain the complete game. I can also understand they feel cheated, because the text did not explicitly say there will be season 3 and 4 or did it back then? Did you have to read between the lines?

This seems to be some reading comprehension issue, like back in school.

The Deluxe Edition gave exactly what was on the box. Game plus season 1 and 2. 

It never said "complete game", "all content ever", "Any Seasons coming" or something like that. 

I do get that people discuss about the price of the second season pass. I do not understand at all how some expect to get it for free, cause they have deluxe though. I have deluxe too. I got from the start it was only for first two seasons. It wasnt any false matketing, it was written right there. I also hoped for following seasons, and i still do for even more. But it seemed always obvious, that I would need to pay some more for that more content.

• Agree 5
  • Disagree 1

When everyone got extra cars in Season 1 and Season 2, while it only said since the begining that it would only bring 5 cars each, noone batted an eye. Just saying, I feel cheated.

Anyway, things were pretty crystal clear. Season 3 and 4 are for those who want to keep supporting this game and see more content added to their game. It's an option, and as in all options you have to choices: to take it or to leave it be while you convince yourself to take it.

Edited by Riggs

6 hours ago, B1rdy said:

I bet some people would not have bought the Deluxe Edition, if they new from the start it will not contain the complete game. I can also understand they feel cheated, because the text did not explicitly say there will be season 3 and 4 or did it back then? Did you have to read between the lines?

But if they like to enjoy the whole content, they would buy all seasons anyway. I doubt they would ignore Deluxe, knowing that this way they will pay more.

Please note (just to make it legit), that there was no text explicitly saying that there will be no further seasons, as well as there was no statement that Deluxe will contain all content ever made for DR2. I can understand that some of customers might have think this way. But then we are back to my initial question. What should CM do in case they didn't know (wasn't committed to) they will release something more than S1/S2 at the point of establishing Deluxe package content: do not release further DLCs at all?

Also, Deluxe version of DR2 is not kind of "collector's edition" which price has collector's value. In fact it's discount package, where you pay less than buying separate content. So... really, don't understand why people moan about this. If someone was thinking that Deluxe edition will bring to him even future, not advertised yet content, then hmm... what can I say.
The only thing you are right is about D-events which really should not be time limited

Edited by MaXyMsrpl
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 9/3/2019 at 2:22 PM, DocStrangelove said:

Bottom line: €30 isn't cheap, but I also don't think it's unreasonably much.

If season 3+4 was a standalone game for €30 would you still feel it's not unreasonably much? 

• Like 1

Disclaimer: I don't have the game at all yet, though I have put over 100 hours into the original.

The individual price looks fine, maybe on the high side but not outlandish, especially once it goes on sale - basically what DocStrangelove said. The combined total (base game + deluxe + super deluxe) is a bit too much though, and much of that is because of the base game. I was wondering if I should bite the bullet and buy the game soon, but the overall price has made me reconsider for the time being because the base game barely has enough to offer to justify buying it at 50% off (and base + Deluxe at 50% off is still a touch overpriced).

My biggest issue is with everything being bundled into seasons in the first place. I get why it was done, but with locations being by far my biggest consideration this kinda dramatically overinflates the overall price. At least the regional price difference isn't too outlandish, though I'm not happy with Europe being a bit shafted by any combination other than the Super Deluxe package that includes everything.

Edited by Coffer

2 hours ago, Coffer said:

Disclaimer: I don't have the game at all yet, though I have put over 100 hours into the original.

The individual price looks fine, maybe on the high side but not outlandish, especially once it goes on sale - basically what DocStrangelove said. The combined total (base game + deluxe + super deluxe) is a bit too much though, and much of that is because of the base game. I was wondering if I should bite the bullet and buy the game soon, but the overall price has made me reconsider for the time being because the base game barely has enough to offer to justify buying it at 50% off (and base + Deluxe at 50% off is still a touch overpriced).

My biggest issue is with everything being bundled into seasons in the first place. I get why it was done, but with locations being by far my biggest consideration this kinda dramatically overinflates the overall price. At least the regional price difference isn't too outlandish, though I'm not happy with Europe being a bit shafted by any combination other than the Super Deluxe package that includes everything.

For those who don't have anything, not even the game, the Super Deluxe brings everything. You don't buy the base + deluxe + super deluxe, that's wasting money buying duplicate content.

Those like me who have pre-ordered the Deluxe Edition, if they want to buy new stuff either buy the Deluxe 2.0 which is Season 3 + Season 4, or buy things individually at their taste. For example, since I'm not interested in Season 4's RX content, I'm opting to purchase only the Season 3 content except for Yas Marina circuit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, _BorisTheFrog_ said:

If season 3+4 was a standalone game for €30 would you still feel it's not unreasonably much? 

That's a good point, and yeah it's certainly not cheap. It depends on two things, A) if I want rally only or if I also want RX (since most of it is RX), and B) how much I'll play it. Personally, Greece alone would be worth €10-15 to me because it's so awesome and I'll spend dozens of hours in that location alone. I wasn't a fan of Finland in DR1 after the physics update because the cars were so light that you spent most of the time in the stratosphere, with DR2's better balanced/weightier physics I might turn out really liking it too.

The point I'm arguing is that I measure value by how many hours of joy I get out of it. If this is worth 50+ hours of excitement, I'm fine with the price. There are many AAA games that give you some 6-10 hours of gameplay. Say, I don't even play RX a lot but the rally content alone will give me much for my money. In contrast, as a single player only person, buying Battlefield 1 for €5 gave me about 4 hours of horrible tedium before I couldn't take it any longer, so even those €5 were an absolute waste of money. Hardcore multiplayer shooter players will get a lot out of the game but for the campaign the original full price is a bad joke (I know BF is pretty much MP only but that's not how they promote it).

That's why I said it depends on how much you like the game and the content, how much you play it and how much you enjoy it. For more casual players of DR2 this is too expensive, but for me it's alright given that it's my favourite racing game of all time, even one of my favourite games of all time. Casual players for whom this is too steep can still cherry-pick or wait for a sale.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Riggs said:

For those who don't have anything, not even the game, the Super Deluxe brings everything. You don't buy the base + deluxe + super deluxe, that's wasting money buying duplicate content.

That's my point. For those in Europe who do have the game already, getting either of the DLCs is quite a lot worse. For them, at least from a cursory glance, I can't justify the price tag.

18 hours ago, Riggs said:

For example, since I'm not interested in Season 4's RX content, I'm opting to purchase only the Season 3 content except for Yas Marina circuit.

Hang on, you can do that? That would make things a lot better, but I don't see anything of the sort on Steam at least. At least on the game's page, it's only either both S3 and S4 or neither.

EDIT: Yeah, apparently you can just buy the individual bits of content. That makes it a lot more tolerable I'd say, since I'm also not interested in the RX content. You do have to go out of your way to manually check all the DLC in order to know this though, because the pages for the two major DLC packs don't list the individual components that make up said packs, which is what confused me earlier. At the end of the day I'd still prefer a $20 price tag with the base game being significantly reduced in price as well, but if you can pick and choose which aspects of which DLC pack you want to get then it's quite a bit more reasonable.

Edited by Coffer
  • Like 2

I felt cheated when had to re-pay twice for contents promissed in deluxe edition, that couldn't be downloaded at release. There was no alert from codemasters to prevent the problem, no excuse, no pay back organised. So i felt codemasters was half partner of the cheat. Now is there any warranty the same thing will not happen in season 3-4 ? any proof the bug is fixed ?

(i felt very sad because i love this game, i nearly play everyday and it is 99% of my VG activity since codemasters was born)

im a big dirt fan played every game since colin mcrae one still own them but even though im a massive fan i dont agree with how the dlc is priced or even set out.

season 3 if you a rally person like the majority are is what most of us if buying buy. but with how the package has been done you have to buy both. i dont really like rallycross that much but it means to get the content i want i have to more or less pay double to get season 3. they should be seperate. so you can buy season 3 or season 4.

content is fine. its just how its been deployed .

hopefully with the reactions of dlcs across the board being looked at in the future this maybe wont happen like this again.

On 9/4/2019 at 5:40 PM, MaXyMsrpl said:

But if they like to enjoy the whole content, they would buy all seasons anyway. I doubt they would ignore Deluxe, knowing that this way they will pay more.

Please note (just to make it legit), that there was no text explicitly saying that there will be no further seasons, as well as there was no statement that Deluxe will contain all content ever made for DR2. I can understand that some of customers might have think this way. But then we are back to my initial question. What should CM do in case they didn't know (wasn't committed to) they will release something more than S1/S2 at the point of establishing Deluxe package content: do not release further DLCs at all?

I am pretty sure the roadmap for this year's DLCs was already set before the release of the main game. So I imagine they could have just added "Season 3 and 4 not included" or similar.

• Agree 1

On 9/4/2019 at 12:45 PM, SkyRex said:

This seems to be some reading comprehension issue, like back in school.

The Deluxe Edition gave exactly what was on the box. Game plus season 1 and 2. 

It never said "complete game", "all content ever", "Any Seasons coming" or something like that. 

I do get that people discuss about the price of the second season pass. I do not understand at all how some expect to get it for free, cause they have deluxe though. I have deluxe too. I got from the start it was only for first two seasons. It wasnt any false matketing, it was written right there. I also hoped for following seasons, and i still do for even more. But it seemed always obvious, that I would need to pay some more for that more content.

It implied it.

Also it never said the high reward events would be time limited.  It said they were available to Deluxe owners.  The store page said it.  The previous Community Manager here said it too, very clearly.

They have since quietly changed the Steam store description to remove this wording.  It looked like this up until a few days ago: http://archive.is/1wd6l

That's called a bait and switch. 

• Disagree 1

6 hours ago, dirtydog413 said:

It implied it. 

Also it never said the high reward events would be time limited.  It said they were available to Deluxe owners.  The store page said it.  The previous Community Manager here said it too, very clearly.

They have since quietly changed the Steam store description to remove this wording.  It looked like this up until a few days ago: http://archive.is/1wd6l

That's called a bait and switch. 

How was it suggested? It very clearly says in your link what it contains. It even gave 2 cars more than promised.

Also the wording is exactly the same and hasn't changed as shown clearly by the screenshot I took just now, what are you even on about.

Edited by chukonu