GRID Graphics Discussion

[4K] Digital Foundry's GRID PS4 PRO and XBOX One X (not base) analysis:

Running at 1440p on the Pro and 1728p on the X. So no real 4K.
XBOX One X has Adaptive Vsync, which produces tearing in the top part of the screen.

AA FAIL
image.thumb.png.314e237590cec1f68014a3281c3a3189.png

Check how bad shadows appear out of nothing in this building, just a few meters from the camera: https://youtu.be/rTqeIelykn0?t=82image.thumb.png.9d4ce338e61fc7cf0663c7b095a27b12.png

Even with this short distance shadows and simple conditions (no rain, no reflections), framerate notably falling down below 60fps in XBOX One X: https://youtu.be/rTqeIelykn0?t=425
image.thumb.png.23c44c1a03d9861d1da9c03a1ca570b5.png
image.png.7797b6edd5a4784401c0b14c92113995.png

Even falling as low as 45fps.

No Eye Adaptation/Auto Exposure: https://youtu.be/rTqeIelykn0?t=113
image.thumb.png.d83c44c7c8351f9c84911d5ce1616c79.png

Trees changing LOD (with an ugly transparency pattern) a few meters from camera: https://youtu.be/rTqeIelykn0?t=126
image.thumb.png.53b9067df5176b158514acfd897eaad0.png

🤷‍♂️

Edited by jesped

From comments:

Matthew Fox
I don't understand nor will I ever understand why the **** devs are so obsessed with 4K

Maybe this is the answer?
I also don't understand this chase for 4K. As a result games suffer from poor detalization and physics because 4K eats all resources! As for me I'd rather play in fullHD but with realistic physics, particles, damage and rich detalization instead 4K that gives you literally almost nothing! 
Edited by lastbreath
  • Agree 2

Agree. Stable 60fps and a good TAA on 1080p or 1440p are preferable over 4K with bad AA and drop downs under 60fps, tearing and/or stuttering. Better smooth and a bit soft than jumpy and jagged.

One final time... Please be constructive.

You guys seriously need to chill out. Being passionate about a game is talking about it all the time to your friends to spread around, not bashing it over and over again everywhere, (YouTube, Forums, Reddit, Twitter, Facebook). Again, If the game looks great but has poor gameplay, it is not very good. whereas sometimes you have to sacrifice some great graphics to make a great game with good gameplay.

Maybe you should take a break, and play some other games. Below is my personal responses to each person.

@lastbreath You were saying that Codemasters put the final nail in their coffin, but this game isn't even out yet. Maybe wait a few days first? as for your answer, you said that you wanted to know what was given instead of good graphics. Not every game has to have perfect visuals. Lastly, on why I was calling you a troll and a bully, was because you posted on mostly every post that you could make of

@jesped I did not give my permission to have my post snipped and edited. Can you remove it please, and quote me instead. Id also like to have a civil discussion on a Private Chat. not just posting on a public forum.

@_BorisTheFrog_ Saying a company is to be ashamed of itself is not constructive criticism. I also did not cherry pick comments, I read them all, one by one, and I came to the conclusion that they were bashing the game.

I am sorry if I was bullying. and I edited my post to remove that remark. I might get a warning point or a restriction about it. Maybe I was reported, but that is something I will handle with a private discussion. Anyone can send me a private message an this forum and on Halo Waypoint (link to my profile is in my signature). Id rather have that discussion than another post..

Edited by CordedQuill42
Please be constructive in your response.
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, CordedQuill42 said:

One final time... Please be constructive.

Says the guy that is just trying to shut others again and again without adding anything of value to the point of the thread. 🤦‍♂️

You guys seriously need to chill out.

Says the guy accusing others of bullying... 🤷‍♂️

@jesped I did not give my permission to have my post snipped and edited. Can you remove it please, and quote me instead.

Where does it say I need your "permission" to have your post quoted as an image instead of text?  I was just pointing out to ELITE-Team-Solo that it was you who were out of the blue accusing other people of bullying, not we saying we were being bullied. Should I quote the message you just edited to cut out the accusation you made so you don't look bad now? don't worry, the original non-edited version is still present at both @_BorisTheFrog_ answer ( https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/42209-grid-graphics-discussion/?do=findComment&comment=465341 ) and EliteTeamSolo follow-up answer.

It's ok for you to edit and apologize, but trying to erase that for the rest of the conversation, like it never happened, is not. It's already in the past, let's not make a big deal of it and throw around accusations that easily from now on.

Saying a company is to be ashamed of itself is not constructive criticism.

It is a perfectly valid opinion, based on what he just stated in the previous paragraph: "when you consider that I paid £4.00 for my copy of Autosport and also take into account that Grid 2019 is neither updating it's predecessor to present day standards nor improving on base content then you really do have to question the benefits of paying £55 and upwards for a game that seems to bring nothing extra to the table."

Saying that having half (12 locations instead of 22, no Drift, no Demolition Derby, no Drag) the content than its currently £4 predecesor in a £55 full price game while not improving the visuals up to 2019 standards, 5 years later, is shameful is fair criticism.

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 1

I completely understand all of your frustrations. But I will still acquire the game, maybe at a discounted price.

Please forgive me for that post, I never meant to be that sharp in aggression. I am not done here on this forum though. When the game launches, I will try and keep things updated. Expect some posts in the future, but not in a such aggressive way or frequency.

May even will post on the Halo Waypoint forum (Link to profile is in my signature)

Edited by CordedQuill42
More Information
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think I ever mentioned "ashamed" but hey ho, it matters little anyway.

My point was simply that Codemasters are renowned for quality over quantity and Grid 2019 seems to offer neither. The strange thing is, if Autosport didn't exist then there would probably have been very few complaints because on paper Grid's content is quite excessive by their normal standards so you could just have easilly have argued that by offering ok visuals and moderate amounts of content Codemasters had adopted a middle ground.

Or better still, instead of going full price why not just do what Criterion did with Burnout paradise and brand it as Grid Autosport HD on a mid price tag? Cheaper games have traditionally sold more units than their more expensive counterparts and Codemasters of all people should know that by now. Or have they forgotten who they were, what they stood for and how (along with Firebird) they scared the living daylights out of US Gold because of the huge popularity with their cheap games? Sadly, I think they have....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CordedQuill42 said:

Not every game has to have perfect visuals

You are absolutely right!

But! When it is next game in the series where last game was 5/6 years ago - it must be better! In other way it becomes senseless, coz you still can play previous game and get richer content and visuals! This is not pixelated RPG from RPGmaker, where you can make another story and setting and it will be enough. This is racing.

14 hours ago, CordedQuill42 said:

Being passionate about a game is talking about it all the time to your friends to spread around, not bashing it over and over again everywhere

Being passionate means I want the game to shine. Instead I see that GRID looks terrible. So there is no sense to spread such product between my friends because as a result we will get an outdated game. More logical is to share its problems. Because if more and more players complain about problems, Codemaster must react on them and as a result - make the game better. Am I not right?

Finally. As I said before - developers could easily stop this. They could enter the topic and assure everyone that their complains are heard. Instead, video after video I see that nothing changed, visuals still are horrible without any improvement. And developers keep silence. That's why I'm worried and keep posting about game problems. Is it so hard to understand? Also, take into account, that Codies want to make seasons in this game, so if it looks outdated now, what will be after two years? While Autosport looks good even now! 5 years after release!

PS. Bashing means I critisize the game without a reason. When I critisize the game for real problems - it's not bashing. It's common sense.

Edited by lastbreath
  • Agree 2

18 hours ago, CordedQuill42 said:

Again, If the game looks great but has poor gameplay, it is not very good. whereas sometimes you have to sacrifice some great graphics to make a great game with good gameplay.

Again, you're absolutely right. I purchased Heat 4 (yeah, yeah, "3 left into 3 left into 3 left into 3 left" as the DR2 copilot would say...heard it all before 🙂) purely on the strength of it's intense gameplay - and anyone who as ever purchased a NASCAR heat game will know that with it's not so attractive visuals, shocking lighting, choppy framerates and dubious draw distances gameplay is it's ONLY standout feature. But you know what, instead of just churning out 'just another NASCAR game' 704 in an effort to improve their game have taken community feedback onboard and completely overhauled everything in order to deliver a better experience. They didn't have to do that but they did! Not bad for a small indie team with a minute budget and (considering the ultra niche popularity of NASCAR) no guarantees they will show a return on their investment, is it? Furthermore Heat 4 isn't even a full price game! I guess, where high budget developers are concerned, this is probably the correct moment to use the word "ashamed"

I personally can live with average visuals but (in a racing game) cannot cope with poor and overdone lighting because not only does it look bad (there's something that always looks a bit off when applying extreme lighting to average visuals) and take away a lot of the immersion it also puts me in a position where, without the help of a racing line, I'm having to guess where a corner is or exactly how close the cars in front are simply because I can't see what i'm looking at. It might look pretty, it might look realistic but anyone who's experienced the difficulties of sunset rallying in Dirt Rally 2 or trying to pick your way thru 40 cars thru the blinding sunlight of turn 1 at Homested (Heat 3) will probably better understand how impractical it actually is in a game that relies on precision.

• Agree 1

Let's try to keep posting issues with the graphics instead of questioning each others' decisions about if they want the game or not in this stage 🙂 

The more feedback about the graphics we can give, the bigger chance there is for the game to get visual updates. It'll take time though as optimizing the game on consoles goes ahead of new visual updates I'd guess.

• Like 1

This what I meant with the intermitent waves of rain:

For some reason the rain flow is not continuous, it looks like a garden irrigation system. 🤔

Edited by jesped

We are posting about the graphics..... but people choose to ignore the points made instead going for the jugular, or telling Us to quit moaning...

Sorry I just played FM7 last night for the 1st time in a year and the GFX are an order of magnitude better. 100-140 fps on Ultra settings @ 3840 x 1080 with my 2700X/Vega64 build

Why? Because codemasters once again are late on the bandwagon... They've just moved the franchise to DX12 when the rest of the world is preparing for the nex gen consoles instead. No FM8 this year because they've decided to wait till the Dev kits are out...

Given that the next Xbox and the PS5 are going to be current gen PC hardware (not 5 years behind the curve like the last few generations) We'll have DXR (Direct X Raytracing), Hardware embeded Raytracing cores, targetting somewhere around 10TFlops GFX performance (Vega 56/64 performance levels) but based on Navi not Vega so basically the 5700XT nailed to a Ryzen 5 3700X partially customised to suit MS and Sony respectively.

Considering that MOST other games companies have held back from developing for the original Xbox and PS4 (1.3 TFlops and 1.8 Tflops respectively) You have to ask why Codies chose NOW to release a game which LOOKS like it's designed for these 2 original "Current Gen" consoles.

Codies have seen a hole in the market and decided to rush/dump GRID on gamers without a response from the bigger publishers i.e. Codies are cashing in on this "dry spell" rushing out a game designed for hardware 5-7 years out of date...

This isn't progress it's milking the cow when it's attracting flies to the corpse...

I'll still be buying the game and giving Codies benefit of the doubt but, if the visuals look THIS (XBone/PS4) bad then I WILL be demanding a refund and going right back to FM7 and FH4, and wait for their succesors next year...

When it comes down to it PC graphics have been held back for the last 10 years because the consoles have been routinely 1 to 1.5 generations behind PC hardware. Now they're catching up there should be NO excuses for "Gameplay" vids that look quite so tragically bad.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, jesped said:

For some reason the rain flow is not continuous

With strong wind bursts rain really can look like this. What is unrealistic - the same rhythm of these bursts.

1 hour ago, [SRS13]Rastus said:

They've just moved the franchise to DX12

1 hour ago, [SRS13]Rastus said:

Codies chose NOW to release a game which LOOKS like it's designed for these 2 original "Current Gen" consoles

This is lame excuse because GRID2 and Autosport run on DX11 and designed for past gen consoles, but still look stunning even after a half of the decade. 

With such level of visuals in old games I thought Codies would blow my mind with new GRID! And they really did. But not as planned xD

Edited by lastbreath

13 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

With strong wind bursts rain really can look like this. What is unrealistic - the same rhythm of these bursts.

So...   there's wind for the rain but not for the trees, like in the original GRID. 😂

IMHO, that perfect cadence looks totally unrealistic, like an automatic garden irrigation system. That rain doesn't change direction or have any randomness factor, it falls exactly in the same direction, wave after wave.

Edited by jesped

While I am not a "hardcore" Grid gamer I have played the previous incarnations and enjoyed them, mostly.  I appreciate the efforts some posters here have made to point out the weaker graphical elements of the game while framing their concern in an intelligent manner, but I do wonder what the graphical shortcomings of the game truly mean to most players?  I'm not an accomplished video game driver - I struggle with Dirt Rally and DR2 like many, but do try to learn and improve - and honestly I would be hard-pressed to see many of these graphical concerns like shadows, textures, etc while in the middle of a race.  I am primarily a console gamer, so perhaps I just don't have the equipment necessary to really get a true-to-life visual fidelity out of any racing game I play, but are these graphical issues that distorting to the experience?  I assume they must be given the tenor of the many posts here, but just thought I would share my limited .02 on my comprehension of it all.

While graphics are clearly necessary for most gamers to enjoy the game (I don't wish to play this on a Playstation 1, after all!) perhaps Codemasters' efforts on GRID had more to do with creating a vital and realistic simulation of a race's tenor and a racer's tenacity rather than the race's graphical fidelity.  To state this GRID is just a rehash of Grid Autosport seems to overlook Codies' continued message about opponents being difficult, varied, and "living".  When the game is out into the wild perhaps this emphasis will show to be hollow ... I don't know.  But it seems there are improvements made over the past 5 years to the series, and to judge the game on something that may not have been the primary selling point in the first place seems remiss, even if those judgements are correct.  Either way: great discussion here that has certainly educated me about gaming's visual concerns, moreso than any Digital Foundry video I've seen!  : )

• Like 1

nicest video quality gameplay footage so far..spotless at just 1080p!

Edited by RedHrm

57 minutes ago, RedHrm said:

Only vp9 303, so nothing special / same as most of the other gameplay videos...

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, RedHrm said:

Wow something i noticed in above video (19:00min) and loved in first Grid game is the drivers legs animation on pedals anytime you shift up/ or down and when you push brake in cockpit view... That's a cool feature never met in any other racing game..

Here a wheel review for new Grid

Edited by Miatakias_GR

3 hours ago, Miatakias_GR said:

Wow something i noticed in above video (19:00min) and loved in first Grid game is the puddles animation anytime you shift up/ or down and when you push brake in cockpit view... That's a cool feature never met in any other racing game..

Puddles?

4 hours ago, RedHrm said:

I think anyone requiring evidence that visuals on consoles don't need to be compromised and lighting doesn't have to be taken to extremes in order to create an authentic time of day should look at this video and where possible compare what you see against identical circuits and scenarios in Project Cars 2 using the game's max quality and FX settings. Doing so will not only will it show that current gen consoles are indeed more than capable of producing high quality visuals (with stable framerates) it will also demonstrate that it's more than possible to create a solid product with a small team and a strict budget.

Sometimes people underestimate the power and performance of the current crop of consoles and whilst I fully appreciate that the industry is in the unfortunate position of having to simultaneously develop games for two generations of console there is such a thing as enhancements for the benefit of those who have the superior hardware. I'm actually quite interested to see the difference in graphics detail between XB1 and X1X to see if Codemasters have developed Grid 2019 with both generations of consoles in mind and this is indeed as good as it could possibly be for all parties or as someone suggested earlier if it's been done 'on the cheap and on the quick' with only XB1 and PS4 in mind. Time will tell I guess 

1 hour ago, Miatakias_GR said:

Sorry i mean the drivers legs animations on pedals , no paddles lol

Oh, I kept thinking about water puddles. 😂

Like in Forza 6, a 4 years old game that features real reflections (look at how the road reflects the full cars and scenery)image.png.468873e184b044ec2fee0acbfcc7fbff.png

Even with different glossy levels:
image.png.9f159c262c458e7ce1e57cce24887c2c.png

How much better these reflections look than GRID's cubemaps. 🤦‍♂️

And much better trees too. But look specially at these wonderful puddles

image.thumb.png.52d4494235ec2ef0e66f014ec80028e6.png

Rain in GRID looks just like a visual effect. It doesn't seem to affect the behavior of the cars. No puddles, no aquaplaning... 

Edited by jesped

20 minutes ago, jesped said:

Rain in GRID looks just like a visual effect. It doesn't seem to affect the behavior of the cars. No puddles, no aquaplaning... 

Nope. Not true. The cars are much easier to slide, acceleration is more difficult and braking zones are longer 🙂 Much is always dependent on the assists you're using, especially the TCS.