GRID Graphics Discussion

1 minute ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

Nope. Not true. The cars are much easier to slide, acceleration is more difficult and braking zones are longer 🙂 Much is always dependent on the assists you're using, especially the TCS. 

Good to hear. I heard it from one of the Youtubers playing the game. He said literally that. And that's why I said "looks just like". 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, I guess no puddles, no aquaplaning and no real reflections, right?

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 2:32 PM, UP100 said:

Let's try to keep posting issues with the graphics instead of questioning each others' decisions about if they want the game or not in this stage 🙂 

The more feedback about the graphics we can give, the bigger chance there is for the game to get visual updates. It'll take time though as optimizing the game on consoles goes ahead of new visual updates I'd guess.

Couldn't agree more 🙂 

Absolutely need everyone's feedback (even before launch) on the game, but if you're going to be abusive and unconstructive in threads, people won't get a response. There's actually some super useful stuff in here that we can look at and address, but it's surrounded by unnecessary moaning and shouting, so it won't be responded to. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 3

47 minutes ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

There's actually some super useful stuff in here that we can look at and address

Cool, good to hear. Let's see how much the game is improved at release vs what we've seen so far. Specially the PC version, which shouldn't be that much constrained.

Edited by jesped
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jesped said:

Like in Forza 6... And much better trees too.

Thats not true.

Please stop using unsharp blurry YT videos to try to compare things.!! 

That and the massive exaggeration in this thread is unbelievable tbh. :classic_wacko:

Back to topic:

Forza 5,6 and 7 trees are only flat textures that look not that great too if you look close to them. Trees in Horizon 3, 4 are way better because they are 3d polygon ones like i think in the new GRID too. 

But to get sure i will make a lot comparison screenshots at October 8th when i have the game. Not only because of the trees GRID / Forza but because of the massive complains about bad GRID graphics judged with bad YT video quality.

I own all GRID/Forza games and will make sure to deliver on point ingame top quality comparison screens 😘🙂

Edited by Ak1504
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

Absolutely need everyone's feedback (even before launch) on the game, but if you're going to be abusive and unconstructive in threads, people won't get a response. There's actually some super useful stuff in here that we can look at and address, but it's surrounded by unnecessary moaning and shouting, so it won't be responded to

Just to be clear, if someone claims any problem in abusive way, you will let the problem exist? :classic_laugh:

16 minutes ago, Ak1504 said:

Please, stop using YT compression as excuse for poor graphics. All YT compression can make worse - TEXTURE QUALITY. And noone here says a word about texture quality. We are speaking about REFLECTIONS, LIGHTNING, SHADOWS, LOD AND SCENERY. YT compression doesn't affect any of them! 

Edited by lastbreath
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ak1504 said:

Thats not true. 

Even if their geometry may be simpler, the end result is much more efficient. They look good and don't change LOD in your face with an ugly transparency pattern
image.png

and without even maintaining similar volume/outline. 🤷‍♂️
image.png

Same track, Brands Hatch, and you really saying this:
image.png

looks better than this?
image.thumb.png.4b37140b9bcd7d16b789b32fcd7ef125.png

We can compare what we have. Level of blurriness is equivalent on both...    and let's nor forget, Forza 6 is a 4 years old game.🤷‍♂️

Then there's the GRID 2 Brands Hatch trees that Codemasters did in 2013:
BayetasMod_Brands_Hatch.jpg

These look good. Even now, 6 years later, much better than GRID's. 👀

1 hour ago, Ak1504 said:

Trees in Horizon 3, 4 are way better because they are 3d polygon ones like i think in the new GRID too. 

You said it, way better. An Open World game. You can see some LOD switch on them sometimes too, but it's not near as bad as in GRID and they are far more detailed, and in an Open World game with traffic, dynamic weather, full day/night cycle, full seasons...  and another good example of perfect Eye Adaptation/Automatic Exposure, check when he enters and then exits the tunnel:

Again at: https://youtu.be/6Seu8feqxR0?t=217 and just shadow areas like: https://youtu.be/6Seu8feqxR0?t=523

That's how you fix all this:
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png

Edited by jesped

@jesped

I was talking about trees in general not their lod draw distance. And for me 3D Polygon trees are way better then ones made of flat textures. Trees made of flat textures look good on pictures (which you showed us more then... idk i lost count) but not in motion or if you look close.

Edited by Ak1504

15 minutes ago, Ak1504 said:

@jesped

I was talking about trees in general not their lod draw distance. And for me 3D Polygon trees are way better then ones made of flat textures. 

LOD is directly involved in the end result, same as shadows. It is very distracting to see trees popping a different LOD and shadows out of nowhere (very notable in Okutama, check any of the videos) just a few meters from your car.

Forza's trees may be simple but they do the job, they are not distracting while you are playing. Their textures are detailed and stay detailed, and don't change from totally cartoony unshadowed to shadows popping out of nowhere.
This is not an exaggeration. This happens too in Dirt Rally 2 trees under certain conditions. Left is GRID, right is GRID Autosport, with a blur filter on top. 🤷‍♂️
image.png

Forza Horizon's trees look just a whole superior generation quality. Only fault in FH is it still using MSAA instead of TAA and being UWP, but that's another discussion.

Edited by jesped

1 hour ago, lastbreath said:

Just to be clear, if someone claims any problem in abusive way, you will let the problem exist?

No, It is less likely to be addressed, because the person did so in an abusive manner.

Please take a look at this forum post. LINK

Hm i like this picture:

image.thumb.png.b1a26509007516eae377454834aeb4f1.png.5006c4c9fd8a27d6fd6bba4017df9c27.png

Just take a look at Grid 2 in motion... Upper right corner the trees... Maxed out PC version... And pls choose max YT quality option 😉

Edited by Ak1504

49 minutes ago, Ak1504 said:

And pls choose max YT quality option 😉

Always do. 😉

Yes, noticeable LOD change, but at least volume/outline is a better match:
 image.png.d00dd614a4aaa707e70b0a6182d98125.png vs image.png.ef1e43478f998b753abcbba82d5a8a64.pngimage.png.7e01f17b464a69128fa4032077feed58.png

and it changes into a much more detailed version of the tree. 6 YEARS AGO🤷‍♂️

Edited by jesped

Yes, that LOD change was in GRID2 too. But GRID2 trees were very detailed (you can see each leaf) that's why it wasn't so visible and distracting. While trees in GRID look like one big solid green spot.

And don't forget, you compare modern game with 6-yo game. 

By the way, we still didn't mention Sydney Park and Okutama, where trees are literally shame.

Edited by lastbreath

Can´t wait to make comparison screens and videos 🙂

Btw: Tbh i think i´m really happy with the Grid 2019 graphics... Jimmers 3h video looked great...

I mean Grid games never had the best graphics in general... Low res textures, low poly car models back in the days, even in Grid AS compared to other games like Forza... The highlight in Grid AS was the grass on PC... I still have that pdf of how they made it ^^ I´m happy that the cars have more poly´s now, textures look sharper even in the videos and i have now a great looking cockpit again 🙂

Only thing i´m disappointed about is that i still can´t get a photo mode in Dirt nor in Grid games... Not there even after 12 years -.-

Edited by Ak1504
  • Agree 3

everything is looking sharp and detailed on this video from short or long distance..i think it's all down to the weather system and the time of day about the blurred graphic display at time..maybe just turning off motion blur for example may solve these problems..San Francisco's yellowish look at day time with clear weather is the only issue i personally have with the game and i am not saying things can not be improved

Edited by RedHrm
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RedHrm said:

everything is looking sharp and detailed on this video from short or long distance..i think it's all down to the weather system and the time of day about the blurred graphic display at time..maybe just turning off motion blur for example solves the problem..San Francisco's yellowish look at day time with clear weather is the only issue i personally have with the game     

All the Okutama videos we've seen at day and sunset look awful.
This night time looks better, but that's easily just because darkness hides the bad aspects.
For starters, there is still too much contrast and oversaturated colors. 

Quality is very uneven. This looks good:
image.thumb.png.f1a54d1b511a14cb8e820ec53b914a84.png

and this looks pretty bad:
image.thumb.png.2e9b10a3479400549615aea743da7976.png

This looks weird. Unrealistic, almost like a painting:
image.thumb.png.1167d52e8e6cb948b04fe5891b8726a7.png

Motion blur on the wheels seems bugged:
image.png.4abdd0d065dd9aeb403f2c8b057f1d91.png

Tail lights are too strong:
image.png.ebc40967ec3474575b337e4105fd0dca.png
image.thumb.png.2599b6239bbf9cf2f8ab13e775eb5f52.png

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 2

I´m disappointed of you guys... :classic_huh: 12 sites of complains and nobody ever noticed that there are seem to be no dynamic shadows from the cars headlights in Grid 2019... :classic_biggrin: Grid AS had dynamic shadows... 

@ChrisGrovesMCM I really would be interested in a Dev Blog about the Ego engine version they use for Grid, whats updated and better compared to the version from Grid AS and why are there some downgrades 🙂

Something like the 31!! pages about the grass tech from Grid AS ^^

Maybe not only about the Ego engine in Grid but about the Ego engine in general... How it evolved over the decade its used ect. That would be awesome 🙂

Rendering-Fields-of-Grass-using-DirectX11-in-GRID-Autosport.pdf

Edited by Ak1504
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Ak1504 said:

Grid games never had the best graphics in general

What? Race Driver literally blew my mind in far 2008! It was the first and only racing game I continued to play online almost a year! Day by day!

GRID2 and Autosport also had top visuals. Even now, after 6 years they still look decent!

"never had the best graphics", pff

• Agree 1

I did notice the missing headlight shadows, it annoyed me from the very beginning on. All these little things just add up.

I see why you wouldn't be able to implement that many cars with headlights that cast shadows on consoles, but at least give those of us on more powerful PCs the option to turn it to 11.

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

What? Race Driver literally blew my mind in far 2008!

"never had the best graphics", pff

Grid 1 was compared to NFS Shift or Forza 3 very very blurry with "not so sharp" textures and way less detailed car models.

I love Grid, Dirt, Forza, NFS, played them all since i started gaming in 1998 but i have the feeling you and some other people here do look through some very rose-colored glasses :classic_happy: 

Edited by Ak1504

42 minutes ago, Ak1504 said:

I´m disappointed of you guys... :classic_huh: 12 sites of complains and nobody ever noticed that there are seem to be no dynamic shadows from the cars headlights in Grid 2019... :classic_biggrin: Grid AS had dynamic shadows... 

😂 Touché!

I'm sure we overlooked much more than this. Keep'em coming.

1 hour ago, RedHrm said:

everything is looking sharp and detailed on this video from short or long distance

Must admit, this video really looks better. But there is no wow effect. It is just good. Because of the night :)

Here are the trees (pay your attention to yellow and pink ones):

jkhj.gif.9bb4c6be35168eab58c05a56b585491d.gif 

• Agree 1

Just now, lastbreath said:

Must admit, this video really looks better. But there is no wow effect. It is just good. Because of the night 🙂

That's exactly how I always felt about the Grid games graphics. Looks good and has great performance.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Ak1504 said:

you and some other people here do look through some very rose-colored glasses

I played RD GRID literally at last weekend.

That terrible blur can be switched off in xml-file.

Also there were mods for lightning and with them the game looks stunning.

Pay your attention to the trees. 2008 > 2019. Nonsense!

Edited by lastbreath

I know about the mods for the Grid and Dirt games, i have alot saved, used them or even use them atm at my Grid 1 version but lets only talk about and compare vanilla versions of the games 🙂

Edited by Ak1504