Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRID Graphics Discussion

1 hour ago, jesped said:

Those are from Replay and seem to look good at that shots/angles

not the first two pictures

2 hours ago, jesped said:

isn't it distracting how they switch LOD that near and obvious? and this is with rain all over the screen masking it...

yes i agree but all these poor quality streaming they can be also very confusing

8 hours ago, RedHrm said:

yes i agree but all these poor quality streaming they can be also very confusing

For definate. I grabbed some 1080p clips from Autosport (XBox) and the difference between them and ingame footage was noticeably worse. It would be helpful if Codemasters could post some 4k screenshots of the offending areas to (hopefully) put some minds at rest.. 

On 9/24/2019 at 10:20 PM, Ak1504 said:

I´m disappointed of you guys... :classic_huh: 12 sites of complains and nobody ever noticed that there are seem to be no dynamic shadows from the cars headlights in Grid 2019... :classic_biggrin: Grid AS had dynamic shadows... 

@ChrisGrovesMCM I really would be interested in a Dev Blog about the Ego engine version they use for Grid, whats updated and better compared to the version from Grid AS and why are there some downgrades 🙂

Something like the 31!! pages about the grass tech from Grid AS ^^

Maybe not only about the Ego engine in Grid but about the Ego engine in general... How it evolved over the decade its used ect. That would be awesome 🙂

Rendering-Fields-of-Grass-using-DirectX11-in-GRID-Autosport.pdf

Do you have any examples of the dynamic shadows from GRID Autosport?

In Forza 7 headlights generate shadows from other cars:
image.thumb.png.6f7f0a0df61dd5ea7d62721b80ff3e6c.png

Only the player car headlights generate shadows in Forza... 

Grid AS headlights don´t generate shadows from other cars but from trackside objects...

Anmerkung 2019-09-26 202310.jpg

More confirmation of no Trees or GI settings:
image.thumb.png.426885e06d862cc45cf317f4ab57843d.png

And horrible LOD switch and ugly and cartoony trees even with maxed out Ultra settings on PC:
image.thumb.png.fefaee44b438b3cd933dac62c14e8cb5.png

4 hours ago, jesped said:

And horrible LOD switch and ugly and cartoony trees even with maxed out Ultra settings on PC:
image.thumb.png.fefaee44b438b3cd933dac62c14e8cb5.png

Not all trees look like that though, it's specific ones. And they "fix" when they come a little closer to the camera. Indeed that LOD switch looks ugly in several cases, but I am pretty sure this is fixable, and it's not like it requires a lot of dev team to adjust it.

Also it seems the problem is only in 2-3 tracks, while others look great, in any conditions really. So it does not look as a general game problem to me, but something that can be improved. Very good to hear that devs took notice!

1 minute ago, Bluestig said:

After reading through this topic I think people have mistaken this game for Grid Tree. 

Maybe some have mistaken the year we live in. Wake up, it is 2019, 2014 quality is 5 years obsolete.

15 minutes ago, jesped said:

Maybe some have mistaken the year we live in. Wake up, it is 2019, 2014 quality is 5 years obsolete.

Ok people in this place are still worked up and grumpy just like in the olden days 5 years ago(remember I just got up). Reminds me why I mostly ignore this place and have better things to do. Ta. 

New video from Shirrako

Looks like Barcelona track has some new routes and... utterly bad lightning (31:46 as example)

Last game I remember with such lightning was Driver SF (2010 or 2011). And even then it was already outdated and bad.

PS. Career second race. A spectacular crash on the track. I was like: WOW, SHADOWS ON SMOKE!!!

1928993743_.png.7c069a928ab91dc07be561f467668888.png

And literally next scene and... shadows are gone 😄

196075301_f.png.e4f8d7d70fd869663155741478a649e6.png

Also look how bad shadows are at the right side of the car. LOD is at the rear wheel 😄

Was about to post the same video. :classic_biggrin:

Rain effect on windshield looks very pixelated too:

gPx9nno.gif

It's unbeliveable how better visuals are in F1 2019. The same developer, the same year, but visuals are drastically better! Natural trees, normal lightning... What could go wrong...

I even don't want to mention that with so small amount of tracks career will be very repeptitve.

For the people that were protesting the blurryness of the low quality YT videos, the problems are much more noticeable in better quality. Check the horrible transparency pattern in the trees now:
image.thumb.png.a5c6f61fb97fdf1f8790ea5a8c373953.png
image.thumb.png.1dd2aff1ae54d97f598eaadb13602ad4.pngimage.png.92eb782bbd1cf817a94078cb35c7fec9.pngimage.thumb.png.776fe20207f137e274478e9c3112572c.pngimage.png.d7a121edf77161bb92aafbabb6c80762.png

I just don't get GRID's team priorities...

They put dozens/hundreds of detailed 3D crowds on the side of tracks:
image.png.8a22237a7e147e66bed00927623ec8a9.png

With a pretty high level of detail (and I don't see any noticeable LOD switch like in trees and shadows):
image.png.8e698a6f72b19fc87d8a4ac5b198a087.png

Which from previous Codemasters games we know are a big resource hog.

Wouldn't it make much more sense to have less and simpler crowds and spend that CPU/GPU power in having real reflections, dynamic shadows, better quality in lighting and shadows, better LOD distance for trees and shadows, ... instead ??? 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, lastbreath said:

It's unbeliveable how better visuals are in F1 2019. The same developer, the same year, but visuals are drastically better! Natural trees, normal lightning... What could go wrong...

I even don't want to mention that with so small amount of tracks career will be very repeptitve.

Really astounding...   👀

I mean...  it just features every single point we've been making in this thread so far. Same company. Same engine ffs...

Natural lighting, colors, contrast, ...

Trees are detailed with visible individual leafs and no horrible LOD jumps:
image.thumb.png.adf8c0604d215a0a0ac58c90d9691c30.png

Amazing wet asphalt with Real reflections:
image.thumb.png.9aaa5c3dc65adea28c64e728331f31d3.png
And these captures are from F1  2019 on consoles, they're not even PC Ultra... 🤦‍♂️

This is really shameful in comparision:
B2G0igv.pngimage.png

I did see some realistic wet road reflections in other videos though, so possibly this strange reflection next to the Porsche is just a bug...

Let's see what we get in a few days on release, I wouldn't be surprised if the problematic trees will have been fixed in it.

2 hours ago, cpcdem said:

I did see some realistic wet road reflections in other videos though

Can you post any of those videos with realistic reflections?

All I've seen so far are static cubemaps that doesn't match the environment and car lights. Neither the cars nor the scenery are reflected in the road. It's all fake and it shows. A lot.

2 hours ago, cpcdem said:

Let's see what we get in a few days on release, I wouldn't be surprised if the problematic trees will have been fixed in it.

I would love to be wrong but honestly, I think what we are seeing is final and we're not going to see any changes at all. Maybe the Eye Adaptation/Automatic Exposure problem that makes some areas so dark gets fixed, as that would be easy, but I honestly don't think any of the other problems are going to get fixed, improved or implemented, specially real reflections at this point.

Youtubers are playing the full game with Review codes, making a lot of content for promotion...    really, it's not like it's gonna change into something much better at this point.

After looking at Autosport's similar trees as well as near identical trackside assets in exactly the same place (the van parked behind the barriers of the sharp right hand turn at the top of the hill (turn 2?) at Brands Hatch and self same van that appears multiple times on multiple circuits to name but one) as those in Grid 2019 it's kinda looking like the bulk of the locations are just HD updates of the originals - something that would probably go a long way to explain why the game doesn't look like it's spent too long in development. 

Assetmasters 🙂

They'd better use old assets for trees ))

But this is really cool statement. It explains why NEW chinese tracks look way better.

But! We also have new Cuban track and it is overcontrasted.

I really can't find logic in all that bs

14 hours ago, lastbreath said:

The same developer

The developers aren't the same though. F1 games have been made exclusively at Codemasters Birmingham since their first F1 game, F1 2010.