Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRID Graphics Discussion

higher LOD here with some good looking trees, good lighting and realistic reflections

6cGLEqrqm-MVa0xPBPfpJOkle2-pFiHusumFEDJl

Capture 3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

Capture6.PNG

Capture7.PNG

Capture14.PNG

Capture17.PNG

Capture18.PNG

Capture19.PNG

Capture20.PNG

Capture22.PNG

So. It looks like night lightning is really enhanced a lot. Earlier that Havana race was absolutely dark.

Also, there is no more that terrible smoke on the finish line :classic_love:

Trees in Sidney Park still are a bad joke :classic_laugh: But I guess that track is still in work, because there are no people on podiums

2 hours ago, lastbreath said:

So. It looks like night lightning is really enhanced a lot. Earlier that Havana race was absolutely dark.

Also, there is no more that terrible smoke on the finish line :classic_love:

Trees in Sidney Park still are a bad joke :classic_laugh: But I guess that track is still in work, because there are no people on podiums

Nice video. If they are sending out codes to reviewers they could have changed the build, as this video differs so much to the previous darkness. I wonder what else has changed.

If there has been a new version released since the dark versions earlier, can anyone confirm the updated version number or seen it in a video? I guess there will still be a further day one patch to update again.

Regarding the real time reflections detail, I don't think anyone has beaten Drive Club (2014) yet for puddle reflections! :)) Standard PS4/Pro. 😲

3 hours ago, torque99uk said:

If there has been a new version released since the dark versions earlier, can anyone confirm the updated version number or seen it in a video?  

there is no such thing as "dark versions"..only a difference in video quality between each recorded or streamed gameplay footage.."the more compressed the video is, the less quality is able to be retained, and the more degraded the image usually becomes"

Yes I wondered if most of these uploaded videos being picked apart have not got all their settings right as the lighting between each video varies so much. Not long to go before I can test on my set up. 🙂 Looking forward to next week.

2 hours ago, torque99uk said:

Regarding the real time reflections detail, I don't think anyone has beaten Drive Club (2014) yet for puddle reflections! :)) Standard PS4/Pro. 😲

you can't compare them..both games have different weather effects..drive club tracks are almost flooded with water on rainy days which means more significant reflections 

8 hours ago, RedHrm said:

higher LOD here with some good looking trees, good lighting and realistic reflections

"Realistic" what?  are you joking? 🤔

image.thumb.png.e02715f0f07355052d788e11472d5957.png

Cars lights anisotropic reflections are ok, ALL the rest is fake:
image.thumb.png.69e8a1162757eb6841b75230f55f500b.png

Man...   this is not how reflections work in this universe. Reflections vertically match their source, as you can see in the car lights, they don't magically move or blend from two different green sources to fit your argument:
image.thumb.png.f5856eb8023849b1d39b4010c4429c03.pngimage.thumb.png.b990e8fc1aba9916a985d269d75a4ad3.png

Only real reflections in GRID 2019 are in cars:
image.png.248d79496c1a9cd2af4594819b2ee24d.png

Nothing to be surprised of, even GRID 2 had that:
image.thumb.png.3cb5d551ae5d283163da4fe1030e4272.png

But again, cars themselves don't reflect on the asphalt, just their lights:
image.png

A feature a game from 18 years ago and 2 console generations back had. F1 2001, PS2:
EA_Sports_F1_2001_Screenshot_1.jpgimage.png

And NOTHING from the real track is reflected. All the rest are fake reflections that doesn't have any definition or even match. That's why it doesn't look anything like this, anywhere:
image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Just look at the first seconds of the Digital Foundry's video analysis and check how clearly fake all reflections are: https://youtu.be/rTqeIelykn0

image.png.b9c5f777db8054fc3cf70c66df4bb1f0.pngimage.png.73c032ed47ddcd0986906164f780b505.png

Nothing to do with Codemasters own F1 realistic reflections since...  I don't know...   almost 10 years ago?

4 minutes ago, Sir.Smoke said:

Thats for consoles, PC better be better

PC Ultra videos are exactly the same. Same fake reflections everywhere. There is not a single example anywhere of a game that has a different reflection technique on PC than its consoles version. F1 have same reflections on both PC and consoles. 🤷‍♂️

You cannot compare F1 games to Grid, F1 cars do not have headlights, so a lot more stuff can be precalculated and shortcuts can be used in the lighting, which cannot be used in Grid. In any case, in the newer videos Okutama now looks very good, with nice trees and with no visible LOD popups. Most other tracks look gorgeous. Reflections in the wet have also improved a lot, there are still issues indeed, but I am not sure if they are important anymore, if they will be noticeable while driving. To me it looks like there were very valid concerns about the gfx a few weeks ago, but most probably there's very little anymore. Now let's hope the car handling is good as well 🙂

1 hour ago, cpcdem said:

You cannot compare F1 games to Grid, F1 cars do not have headlights, so a lot more stuff can be precalculated and shortcuts can be used in the lighting, which cannot be used in Grid. In any case, in the newer videos Okutama now looks very good, with nice trees and with no visible LOD popups. Most other tracks look gorgeous. Reflections in the wet have also improved a lot, there are still issues indeed, but I am not sure if they are important anymore, if they will be noticeable while driving. To me it looks like there were very valid concerns about the gfx a few weeks ago, but most probably there's very little anymore. Now let's hope the car handling is good as well 🙂

What lights have to do with real reflections? GRID's lights are the most simple ever, they don't even have the shadow casting from Grid Autosport. 🤦‍♂️
Don't try to excuse the devs with these poor reasons. Every game from the last 4-5 years and even older (even 18 years back ffs) have real reflections, and it doesn't have anything to do with cheap lights that doesn't even cast shadows.

Nice trees what?  it is just that in these last videos with rain and overcast lighting you don't notice that much, but nothing has changed:
image.thumb.png.ba16126179df9f01b2a8362717be559c.png 

You can still see the point of LOD switch, just a few meter from your car:

image.thumb.png.738d9bea2eaa112beb6b84946a67540d.png

It would be great to have clear day or sunset videos now to compare.

What is amazing is how bad Okutama rock mountain side looks in some places. Texture mapping all unrealistically deformed, and even blatant mapping errors:
image.thumb.png.ae89ae3df149c34641b3a13197b3ed02.png

Let's compare with GRID 2, same track from 6 years ago:
BayetasMod_05_Japan_06.jpg

"Reflections in the wet have also improved a lot"...   :classic_blink:  in which parallel reality?? are you really seeing all of the examples posted in this very same page and the previous one pointing exactly at all the sh|tty and absurd reflections?

Just a quick recap on how "a lot" they improved...  🤦‍♂️

Stop nitpicking already, the game looks good and you know it. Problem is you backed urself into a corner with ur early rhetoric about how the game looks and now u cant face the music. Someone messaged me and told me the initial thread name was Why does GRID look so bad, LOL really ? why you change the name ? I wouldn't make a thread called that if i wanted to help the devs by pointing out issues. That title sounds nefarious and very judgmental. Also during a race who in their right mind is going to notice the little flaws u keep pointing out ? u can only see them by pausing a video. U going to pause every few frames while playing too ? This whole thread is ridiculous and shortsighted, but i get it. Ur in too deep now to admit u were wrong.

29 minutes ago, Gears4Brains said:

Stop nitpicking already, the game looks good and you know it. Problem is you backed urself into a corner with ur early rhetoric about how the game looks and now u cant face the music. Someone messaged me and told me the initial thread name was Why does GRID look so bad, LOL really ? why you change the name ? I wouldn't make a thread called that if i wanted to help the devs by pointing out issues. That title sounds nefarious and very judgmental. Also during a race who in their right mind is going to notice the little flaws u keep pointing out ? u can only see them by pausing a video. U going to pause every few frames while playing too ? This whole thread is ridiculous and shortsighted, but i get it. Ur in too deep now to admit u were wrong.

It was named like that because of the first video posted, and it wasn't me who changed the thread name, it was a moderator who changed it without asking. So there you have it...   your smart a$$ is wrong again, assuming stuff you don't really know.

Maybe it's you who is really shortsighted and don't see them, even when clearly pointed for you with arrows and everything. All captures here are for explanation, I'm not searching every frigging video frame-by-frame for errors, they just jump at you when they are there. Unless you are half-blinded by a delusional "faith" bubble, of course.

Do you really have eyes?
fgjj.gif

We have been comparing images and videos with all sorts of other titles from the past 5 years and more, even Codemasters ones. All look much better and have much more realistic features in nearly every single aspect, even using the same engine.

But some keep finding excuses for everything. Keep your "faith" and your childish blind illusion, I'll keep judging what I see in a thread exactly dedicated to that🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, jesped said:

it was a moderator who changed it without asking

Like a moderator needs ur permission to change something on their forums lol. That in it self should tell you something, ur spreading misinformation and a narrow view point. Oh those things just pop out huh? stop lying, we all know u examined all those videos with a fine tooth comb looking for anything to suit ur grief. If u saying u saw those reflection issues during the video ur obviously lying period. Ur initial screenshot vs the current state of the game is worlds apart. Yet u havent mentioned it. Each new video u pick at something new, instead of addressing the changes. Im done dealing with people like you, just a waste of time.

1 minute ago, Gears4Brains said:

Like a moderator needs ur permission to change something on their forums lol

Like a moderator will pay for the game lol.

It's their interest to sold me the game.

2 hours ago, CordedQuill42 said:

Welp, This thread has gone the wrong way. Rather than let this thread get out of hand, it needs to be locked.

@PJTierney, Can you do the honors and give the thread a rest?

Oh, sure. Your new attempt to close the thread you don't like when other people like you doesn't contribute anything on topic, right? 😂

Great contribution. You only have to check out from this thread. Really, why do you keep coming at all?

4 minutes ago, CordedQuill42 said:

give the thread a rest

Not all graphics issues are solved. Keep calm and help the game to be better instead blind consuming everything, fanboy

Lads, chill.

Debate and constructive feedback is fine, taking jabs at each other isn't.

Game looks great imo, reflections and all.  Even in real life photos of wet races some of the reflections have me scratching my head so who cares.

2 minutes ago, BRICKS44 said:

Game looks great imo, reflections and all.  Even in real life photos of wet races some of the reflections have me scratching my head so who cares.

Exactly, they've done a bang-up job with the game so far. And will only get better with future updates. Remember in GRID 2(PC) how the ingame voip didnt work correctly? and guess what they fixed it in a far amount of time.

38 minutes ago, Gears4Brains said:

Like a moderator needs ur permission to change something on their forums lol. 

Didn't say that, but hey, keep your fallacies coming. 😂
It was you who accused me of changing the title, which was wrong, as most of what you've been stating here. 🤦‍♂️

Ur initial screenshot vs the current state of the game is worlds apart. Yet u havent mentioned it. 

Yes, I did. But you have to read to know that. It was later pointed out by @ChrisGrovesMCM that there was a problem with HDR...    but that was the only one. All the other videos doesn't have that error, and it can be checked by the red tone on the gauge, as I explained before if you had read the whole thread.

It's not "worlds apart", it's better but that sunset lighting at Okutama still looks horrible:

Each new video u pick at something new, instead of addressing the changes. Im done dealing with people like you, just a waste of time.

Most are the same issues since the begining:

- What has been changed at Brands Hatch?
- What has been changed at Okutama day and sunset?
- What has been changed in reflections?
- Sydney horrible trees and burnt out contrast and colors?
- Sepang cartoony look?

Really, we don't even know at this point if Eye Adaptation/Automatic Exposure has been fixed. Which is the most easy thing to do. I guess you haven't notice all THIS either...
image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

I guess this is "nitpicking" too...  😂

Im done dealing with people like you, just a waste of time.

Great, because your blind "faith" and your attemps at shutting down discussion and criticism are surely not going to make the game any better. 🤷‍♂️

Have a nice day. 

I don't know how hard could it be, but let's please try to keep this as a thread for feedback, instead of arguing are these graphics issues a "big deal" 🙂 

Personally the graphics don't really affect my opinion of the game, so I'll just try to ignore most things that could get me angry for some reason.