GRID Graphics Discussion

38 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

Not all graphics issues are solved. Keep calm and help the game to be better instead blind consuming everything, fanboy

OK, I am not a fanboy. If I were a fanboy, then I would only speak good things about the game, and flame anyone who disagrees. I have some things that I disagree with the game, (The lack of drifting is a minor one, Demolition Derby is not so much do to me owning Dirt Showdown) Like the fact that there won't be any way to play split screen for a short time, and the small track list. Just attacking the graphics only is one third of the circle, you would also need to look at the Gameplay and Sounds, because All games are complex pieces of code (Even Super Street the Game is kind of complex), and it takes months to create a game that is usually great.

@jesped, you cannot use old videos to prove a point now. Watch the newer Panspeed video, is there any single thing in it that would make you notice it while *racing* and think it does not look good? I watched it and if I really needed to find something, it might be the brake lights reflection, which is maybe overdone, or the trees in Sydney which you may be able to glance at the far background...But that's complete nitpicking, in general it looks gorgeous to me.

Yeah, in still frames you will find imperfections in every game and it will not look as good as in when during the action, when the objects are moving (as designed to be looked at). Granted, I noticed this last video did not include a night wet race, so in those conditions there might still be problems, maybe not. And if there still are, they affect less than 10% of the game (only at night in the wet!) and could be possibly even fixed before release, or shortly after.

I think you should be taking pride in yourself that with your and some other's people's feedback, you probably helped the devs realize some problems and improve on them, making the game much better from a gfx point of view. And I think now you should be very happy that it is shaping so well. With some imperfections of course.

To clarify things...  I'm pointing at bugs and critizicing aspects I think are not up to 2019 standards and can/should be improved/fixed.

You can clearly notice I haven't said anything bad regarding cars, for example, and that's because they look good. They are not "amazing!" or better than other recent games. They just don't jump at your eyes for their bad look as other elements in the game do, and thus they are ok.

Rain effect on the windshield looks mostly ok too, and I said that already in this thread. Only weird thing I've seen so far is this pixelated effect:

gPx9nno.gif

Edited by jesped

7 minutes ago, BRICKS44 said:

I have one question.  What is “LOD”?  

Level of detail [LOD]
In computer graphics, accounting for Level of detail involves decreasing the complexity of a 3D model representation as it moves away from the viewer or according to other metrics such as object importance, viewpoint-relative speed or position. 👍
  • Agree 2

New video showing more rain detail. As the water collects on the side of the windscreen is this better?   @jesped [2.45s>]

Edited by torque99uk

1 hour ago, cpcdem said:

@jesped, you cannot use old videos to prove a point now.

Haven't seen any new video fixing any of these...  🤷‍♂️

- What has been changed at Brands Hatch?
- What has been changed at Okutama day and sunset?
- What has been changed in reflections?
- Sydney horrible trees and burnt out contrast and colors?
- Sepang cartoony look?

1 hour ago, cpcdem said:

Watch the newer Panspeed video

Ok, pity it is just 1080p and very compressed, but let's point at some stuff I like, so I don't get labeled as just a negative grumpy a$$. 😂

I like these speculars on the surfaces. These look pretty good:
image.thumb.png.2e31449edb32efaec353c953d61aad5e.pngimage.thumb.png.1a2ba017fd652ac9434203909645894d.png

BTW, this car at 9:27 ( https://youtu.be/fZ-JtuLKlos?t=567 ) crashes and just disappears off the tunnel entrance side...
image.thumb.png.3ac91c480b4c59065fcc3e0f9323fcb2.png

These bamboos look pretty good:
image.thumb.png.33c7850eeefe2e6daab98a2533695e8f.pngimage.thumb.png.dcd2ac2c56124c47c1d6ad0db4bf55d7.pngimage.png.1b75713847bfacb46d66d9db6ca10513.pngimage.thumb.png.50d4e96d4023c250312918e54925493c.png

So yeah...   it would be great to have more of those and less of these:
image.png

Sydney still looks cartoony, and those horrible trees are very noticeable:
image.png
image.png.55872bf4ead3fcb6e27b4bcf355bda87.png

And there are some pretty noticeable aliasing problems too, I guess due to TAA not working correctly here.

Cables parts disappearing:
image.png.d066f02f2920d2b11412ab4752b270a8.pngimage.png.6f2bd5c15a29a5722c096131fadaca0e.png

And specially in neons:
2eWs1UZ.gifzK0ok5U.gifYTv1hXW.gif
Kg5KddR.gif

Edited by jesped

17 minutes ago, torque99uk said:

As the water collects on the side of the windscreen is this better?   @jesped [2.45s>]

Sure, much better. The pixelated one at Brands Hatch is the only example I've seen so far, but it makes sense to report it so devs can fix it if they care.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, CordedQuill42 said:

Just attacking the graphics only is one third of the circle, you would also need to look at the Gameplay and Sounds

Dude, please, use your brain. This thread is created for graphics discussion. Why should I moan here about gameplay features??? If you have some claims about gameplay - there is a thread about gameplay. Do I really need to explain that?

• Agree 1

Wow, I’m really glad I wondered into this thread.  I thought the videos I saw were top-notch until I saw jesped’s posts on reflections… I just can’t UNSEE that now.

My Club is going to be so disappointed; we had such high hopes that this game would save us from the toxic environment of Forza.

Oh well, I guess on the brighter side, we all get to save $80.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, SourceCodeError said:

Wow, I’m really glad I wondered into this thread.  I thought the videos I saw were top-notch until I saw jesped’s posts on reflections… I just can’t UNSEE that now.

My Club is going to be so disappointed; we had such high hopes that this game would save us from the toxic environment of Forza.

Oh well, I guess on the brighter side, we all get to save $80.

You are making a mistake that will hurt your feelings in the long run.

These guys are just attacking on how the game looks. Whenever I say "Its not just about graphics, it is about gameplay", they claim I am changing the subject. You are just missing out on a potentially great game and tossing an opportunity to the wayside. Don't let these guys bullying you into cancelling your pre order. You could really benefit from this game.

Can you ignore what they are saying and give this game one more chance please? :classic_sad: It would be fair to give this game a shot and ignore the complaints. After all, this game looks amazing.

Edited by CordedQuill42
Take my advice and ignore these guys.
  • Disagree 1

Don't let these guys bullying you into cancelling your pre order. 

Are you for real?  who are you accusing of "bullying"? 

You are making a mistake that will hurt your feelings in the long run.

You could really benefit from this game.

Can you ignore what they are saying and give this game one more chance please? :classic_sad: It would be fair to give this game a shot and ignore the complaints. After all, this game looks amazing.

After your shameful attempts to close this thread, can you be even more pathetic now begging in favor of preordering a videogame and talking about "feelings" and "benefit from this game" like it's gonna cure depression? 🤦‍♂️

Grow up, stop pestering this thread with your non-contributions and accusing others of "bullying".

Edited by jesped

@jesped

OK, I actually disagree, I really like this games graphics, they look really amazing, and this would be only be better at launch. You do not like the games graphics, saying that the older games are better. And that is totally fine.

You seriously however need to be less combative and more like "I disagree with you". then this thread can get more support from the community and we can give good feedback.

• Like 1

the look of trees in GRID 2019 Brands Hatch circuit versus real life 

real life (1080p) highly compressedCapture 1 hatch 4.PNG

GRID 2019 (4k) compressedCapture 2 hatch 4.PNG

real life (1080p) highly compressedCapture hatch 2.PNG

GRID 2019 (4k) compressedCapture1 hatch 2.PNG

GRID 2019 (4k) compressedCapture1 hatch3.PNG

real life (1080p) highly compressedCapture2 hatch3.PNG

there is a significant loss in visual quality on these snaps taken from Shirrako 4k career mode part 1 (51 min) compare to his other 5-7 minutes recorded individual races..just more compression on this particular one because of its length or it's something else? @jesped

Edited by RedHrm

On 9/26/2019 at 2:33 AM, RedHrm said:

the look of trees in Brands Hatch circuit with low video compression i believe and clearer weathertrees.PNG

trees 2.PNG

trees 4.PNG

trees 5.PNG

Edited by RedHrm

4 hours ago, CordedQuill42 said:

@jesped

OK, I actually disagree, I really like this games graphics, they look really amazing, and this would be only be better at launch. You do not like the games graphics, saying that the older games are better. And that is totally fine.

You seriously however need to be less combative and more like "I disagree with you". then this thread can get more support from the community and we can give good feedback.

@CordedQuill42 After reading through the whole thread all again properly, in between the posts that defer from graphics I think @jesped and @lastbreath both agree the graphics in the new game (in most part) are improved with the new 4K visuals. They set this thread up to try and point out some of the bugs they have seen to improve the game and for the developers to notice and hopefully try and fix that are the same (or worse) than previous versions.

No one knows why this is the case so far (there must be a reason due to extra performance needed elsewhere) even with PC versions, as we know Codemasters can produce some beautiful graphics.

I also know how much work is involved in game developing and you can not just change details quickly over 3 different versions it takes time and that will be their decision on whether they concentrate on optimising the game or improving fine graphics detail (i.e cube map shadows).

I see there is a new bug thread set up so they do want to hear from the community.

At first I read it all as negativity too, but I think we have to all look at this thread together (and post launch) to point out graphical errors in a reasonable way with evidence (photos/videos) as they are doing. This helps the developers pin point the problem areas.

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, CordedQuill42 said:

You seriously however need to be less combative and more like "I disagree with you". 

Says the guy straight accusing of "bullying", no less...  🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, RedHrm said:

the look of trees in GRID 2019 Brands Hatch circuit versus real life 

Those look good, but then, in the real gameplay you see that horrible LOD constantly kicking in a few meters from your car and you see this:

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

🤷‍♂️

These are realistic trees, without that horrible LOD switcheroo:
image.png

These are not, these are gross approximations (and this is the HQ nearest LOD version, see below) that doesn't feature individual leafs, which GRID 2 had, 6 years ago:
image.png.1cdb97e6acb11efc7cd56630d2fa1e5e.png

Even the 4 years old Forza 6:
image.png

looks better than this:
image.thumb.png.6608a3f6dbb2dcbd5d15accb91f64448.png

Edited by jesped

6 hours ago, RedHrm said:

there is a significant loss in visual quality on these snaps taking from shirrako 4k career mode part 1 (51 m) compare to this other 5/7 minutes recorded individual races..just more compression on this particular one because of its length or it's something else? @jesped

I honestly don't see that much of a difference in quality. I see typical compression macroblocks in darker areas on both, but mostly they look good in quality. I think it is just that the short videos are from the rain version and have a higher contrast, so they may look more detailed by that.

Edited by jesped
  • Thanks 1

More clear proof of totally fake reflections, coming from "the upside down" parallel universe 😂:

image.png.2d79563f8db365df894574f45245901e.pngimage.png.60869ce408a620f001ed4755d5cf2a44.pngimage.thumb.png.168b0eca55632843169420e062c29f72.png

Edited by jesped

Why has nobody from Codemasters said something about this ? Anything at all ? What's the deal ?

The amount of pictures that stretch the page is ridiculous, something needs to be said so this circus of images is stopped.

1 hour ago, Sir.Smoke said:

Why has nobody from Codemasters said something about this ? Anything at all ? What's the deal ?

The amount of pictures that stretch the page is ridiculous, something needs to be said so this circus of images is stopped.

I guess it is because if they say these things will be fixed, people will take them at their word once released.
If they say they won't...   people will be angry now. 😂

So it's better for them to remain silent, not commit to anything, and expect people won't care or be distracted with other stuff.

Remember, it took weeks of dozens of complaints about the FFB in Dirt Rally 2 just for them to acknowledge there was a problem and promise to fix it. Then it took months for them to just improve it. And this was after release, with everybody with the game already paid and waiting for the FFB fix.

Edited by jesped

14 hours ago, CordedQuill42 said:

Whenever I say "Its not just about graphics, it is about gameplay", they claim I am changing the subject

Because this is what you do.

14 hours ago, CordedQuill42 said:

Can you ignore what they are saying

He can ignore what we are saying, but he can't ignore what he is seeing

8 minutes ago, KreuZenNL said:

The reflection should be 1 corner earlier. Somehow they misplaced it

This is a proof that reflections are pre-drawn but misplaced. So, they are not "live"