GRID Graphics Discussion

26 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

Because GRID looks worse than any modern racing game.

Because GRID looks worse than GRID2/Autosport, 5/6 yo racing games!

And there is no reason in 100 gb game with such visuals! There is no reason to buy GRID if I still can play Autosport and get cool gameplay and BETTER VISUALS!

Have you played the final build of Grid 2019?  I’m going to reserve judgement at least until the final product are in reviewers hands.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

1. I want developers to hear, because all these years I was waiting for a superb game, not for this outdated piece of code.

2. I want answer what was a reason of graphics downgrade.

Judging by the newer videos posted, gfx looks better than previous games to me. With a couple minor exceptions. Let's see about gameplay though.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

How much moneys it needs to take trees from F1 and put them into GRID? This is THE SAME ENGINE, THE SAME DEVELOPER!!! All they need is just take f1 core and fill it with another car models and tracks!!!

If only it was that easy to make games....Their engine is old and probably running on limits so they have to micro manage what to put in and what to leave out. Also more money means more people which means more ironing out of issues such as you state. 

2 minutes ago, SourceCodeError said:

I think they're ignoring you

I will see, when buyers will be ignoring their outdated game

4 minutes ago, Bluestig said:

till then you can’t judge an unfinished product

That's why we created this thread to hear from developers themselves that graphics will be improved. But developers demonstrate brilliant work with community - they keep silence! All moderators here are from Dirt team. There is literally noone from Grid team on the forum!

2 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

I will see, when buyers will be ignoring their outdated game

That's why we created this thread to hear from developers themselves that graphics will be improved. But developers demonstrate brilliant work with community - they keep silence! All moderators here are from Dirt team. There is literally noone from Grid team on the forum!

That first reply is exactly why there is noone from the Grid team here. This forum has become an echo chamber of extreme opinions. No meaningful discussion can take place since anyone with a different opinion is attacked. If there was some positive discussion maybe someone could be here to listen. Just look at the dirt forum. Everyone is much more civil and the mods are more active there. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BRICKS44 said:

I’m going to reserve judgement at least until the final product are in reviewers hands

It would be too late for fixing

3 minutes ago, Bluestig said:

Their engine is old and probably running on limits so they have to micro manage what to put in and what to leave out

I understand that. I even think that graphics downgrade is connected with 4K. Useless 4K which sacrifices game visuals and detalization for Sony and MS PR campaigns. But I want developers say that.

1 minute ago, Bluestig said:

This forum has become an echo chamber of extreme opinions.

Opinions weren't extreme till developers demonstrated full ignoring.

4 minutes ago, Bluestig said:

If there was some positive discussion maybe someone could be here to listen

OK. I watched some videos. I noticed bad graphics. I came here, created the thread, filled it with examples and arguments and politely stated that I'm worried about game visuals. Because it's not 2019 level and even not 2014 level.

As a result I faced with full ignoring from developers. Also some guys came to my thread, convinced me in bulling, non-constructiveness, that graphics didn't matter, that game was beautiful, that trees were not ugly, that I was liyng. So what behaviour are you waiting from me now? I must not believe my eyes and say the game is fantastic? I must ignore graphics issues? This is constructive?

3 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

Opinions weren't extreme till developers demonstrated full ignoring.

OK. I watched some videos. I noticed bad graphics. I came here, created the thread, filled it with examples and arguments and politely stated that I'm worried about game visuals. Because it's not 2019 level and even not 2014 level.

As a result I faced with full ignoring from developers. Also some guys came to my thread, convinced me in bulling, non-constructiveness, that graphics didn't matter, that game was beautiful, that trees were not ugly, that I was liyng. So what behaviour are you waiting from me now? I must not believe my eyes and say the game is fantastic? I must ignore graphics issues? This is constructive?

Mate even I remember you from way back when Grid 2 was about to release. You have to admit you have always been negative. Even back then you complained the most. Most of your complaints might even be genuine but there has to be a balance. I honestly cannot comprehend how someone can invest so much time in negativity. Maybe this just isn’t the game for you. Time to move on. 

9 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

I even think that graphics downgrade is connected with 4K. Useless 4K which sacrifices game visuals and detalization for Sony and MS PR campaigns. But I want developers say that.

I don't think you will come away from this thread satisfied, then.  

I doubt the devs are lazy or that there are graphical issues that are "easy" to resolve, rather that game development is hard, performance is always a trade-off between graphics and gameplay, and even the best game engine is brittle and requires countless iterations and adjustments to guarantee proper playability.  Perhaps Codies is just ignoring the complaints in this thread ... hosted on a forum that THEY pay for and offer so that the public and themselves can provide feedback and receive information (in case it is unclear: I don't think they are ignoring the complaints; just because a game is shipped does not mean devs are not still working on it).  Or perhaps devs just don't like coming here (there is a reason developers/publishers hire game media managers!) for any number of reasons.  I think it is pretty easy to figure out why, as tempers and words tend to flare in these kind of threads.  That does not mean any slight to the complaints expressed in this thread, but it may explain why the feedback some seek has been so evasive.

• Agree 1

Bluestig

Oh good old times. In 2013 I was suspicious that GRID2 looked very arcadish and all my claims were toward that problem. And who was right at the end?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Unrest Cure said:

game development is hard, performance is always a trade-off between graphics and gameplay, and even the best game engine is brittle and requires countless iterations and adjustments to guarantee proper playability

Dude, when the game looks worse than its 5-yo predecessor, this is not a trade-off. This is f@#$n disaster!

3 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

Bluestig

Oh good old times. In 2013 I was suspicious that GRID2 looked very arcadish and all my claims were toward that problem. And who was right at the end?

YOU WON!! I’ve given you a trophy to keep. Enjoy!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bluestig said:

Almost 100% of the videos I’ve seen have people actually praising the visuals. 

Sure. Have you seen ANY of those youtubers criticize ANY SINGLE THING about ANYTHING from the game?  those Youtubers that are invited to events and given Review codes in EXCHANGE OF PROMOTION?  reaaaally surprising, eh? 😂

Any of those Youtubers said anything about the broken FFB in Dirt Rally 2NOPE, it was all "amazing" too until real customers discovered it was fuqed up after paying for the game on release.

38 minutes ago, Bluestig said:

Do you think the developers don’t want to make the best possible game? It is just the unfortunate reality that the new Grid game isn’t going to get as much funding and dev time as the olden days because of various reasons (poor sales of newer games/budget and staff cuts at codies etc). Codemasters aren’t as big as they used to be. Maybe if Grid 2019 is a success then the upper management can be convinced to invest more resources into the next iteration. But atm only F1 is the lucrative part and is being heavily invested in. 

You kidding, right?  they have PLENTY of money to throw into Fernando Alonso's millionaire pockets, instead spending all that BIG MONEY into better salaries for the real developers, more people on the dev team and more development time. Do you think it is cheap to rent Fernando Alonso's brand? do you think that makes a better game than spending that money on the devs themselves?  why not even the big powerhouses like Sony or Microsoft do lame marketing moves like this with their racing games? 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, jesped said:

Sure. Have you seen ANY of those youtubers criticize ANY SINGLE THING about ANYTHING from the game?  those Youtubers that are invited to events and given Review codes in EXCHANGE OF PROMOTION?  reaaaally surprising, eh? 😂

Any of those Youtubers said anything about the broken FFB in Dirt Rally 2NOPE, it was all "amazing" too until real customers discovered it was fuqed up after paying for the game on release.

You kidding, right?  they have PLENTY of money to throw into Fernando Alonso's millionaire pockets, instead spending all that BIG MONEY into better salaries for the real developers, more people on the dev team and more development time. Do you think it is cheap to rent Fernando Alonso's brand? do you think that makes a better game than spending that money on the devs themselves?  why not even the big powerhouses like Sony or Microsoft do lame marketing moves like this with their racing games? 🤷‍♂️

Ok that fernando part makes sense lmao but you need to chill the f@ck up. Why are you always combative. No wonder you and lastbreath only talk to each other lol. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Bluestig said:

Ok that fernando part makes sense lmao but you need to chill the f@ck up. Why are you always combative. No wonder you and lastbreath only talk to each other lol. 

Ok, sorry if I may sound too aggresive sometimes. English is not my mother language and I'm passionate. 😂

It is the third or fourth time already I mention this very same thing in this thread, but everybody decided to ignore it and just keep excusing "poor Codemasters" for "not having enough money to do better"...    come on already, that is just a poor excuse. I guess GT Sport and Forza Horizon 4 would be much worse if they spent a truckload of cash to pay for Fernando Alonso's license, which adds...      nothing. Empty marketing.

Nobody cares for Fernando Alonso, Ken Block, Travis Pastrana or whoever...   we care for the game itself, and the game would have been much better with that money in the right hands and pockets.

This is not an annual license like F1. They had 5 years since Grid Autosport and plenty of money.

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, jesped said:

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, jesped said:

Ok, sorry if I may sound too aggresive sometimes. English is not my mother language and I'm passionate.

It is the third or fourth time already I mention this very same thing in this thread, but everybody decided to ignore it and just keep excusing "poor Codemasters" for "not having enough money to do better"...    come on already, that is just a poor excuse. I guess GT Sport and Forza Horizon 4 would be much worse if they spent a truckload of cash to pay for Fernando Alonso's license, which adds...      nothing. Empty marketing.

Nobody cares for Fernando Alonso, Ken Block, Travis Pastrana or whoever...   we care for the game itself, and the game would have been much better with that money in the right hands and pockets.

I completely agree but I guess their thinking is probably appealing to new audiences and casual gamers who will definitely check out anything alonso related. Big companies don’t need big names because their own names are marketing themselves. Everyone will check out the new Sony or Microsoft game. But barely anyone knows Codies so I guess they aim for exposure. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, jesped said:

I think this may be an over-simplified take on game economics.  We have zero idea how much it cost to gain Alonso's participation, and we have zero idea if that was predicated on and/or necessary to gain investment into the title from outside investors (which happens).  We also have zero idea how many developers out there are conversant enough in the EGO engine and who happen to be close enough to actually work at Codemasters.  There are variables here that are probably not as easily dismissed as one may think.  The balance for a better game is probably something all game companies deal with: how good can you make a game within a particular length of time?  If you have forever it can probably be mind-blowing.  But if you have a responsibility to shareholders, investors, et al you cannot finance a game for forever with nothing to show.  Does that mean a game that does not get that length of development is inherently bad or substandard?  No.  It simply means that there is a balance between playability and actually finishing a product for shipment.  

Your criticisms may be well-founded and your frustrations sincere, but when legitimate graphical criticisms become wild guesses at irresponsibility or blind stabs at Codemasters' ultimate intent - before the game is even launched! - I think we can probably see why Codies prefers not to step into these kind of threads.  They devolve quickly.  In the end, we all want to see the best GRID we can.  Let's not lose sight of being productive in this vs becoming unhinged and myopic.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, The Unrest Cure said:

I think we can probably see why Codies prefers not to step into these kind of threads

Dude, one their post "guys, you're heard" - could stop all this mess in a moment. Silence - is what keep water boiling. Because It makes people think they have nothing to answer

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bluestig said:

But barely anyone knows Codies so I guess they aim for exposure. 

That's an overstatement. They've been selling annual F1 licensed titles for more than 10 years. It's not the 12 million players of Forza Horizon 4 but It isn't like they are an unknown indie studio either.

I'm wondering, wasn't this response of theirs clear enough?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, cpcdem said:

I'm wondering, wasn't this response of theirs clear enough?

Depends how you take it. It is vague and generic. It doesn't address any of the specifics pointed out in a 19 pages thread with 16K views.

Edited by jesped

10 minutes ago, jesped said:

Depends how you take it. It is vague and generic. It doesn't address any of the specifics pointed out in a 19 pages thread with 16K views.

Tbf it’s mostly you and lastbreath arguing amongst yourselves 😂 

• Haha 3