GRID Graphics Discussion

@lastbreath @jesped

And that is totally fine. But visuals do not make or break a game. When is a games graphics made or broken over trees? I am confused.

Anyways, this is still a great game gameplay wise. My opinion before (me picking this game up) will not change. Maybe I will wait for reviews, maybe I will lose interest. But the way to go is forward for me, not backward. This is not my final post on this forum.

Man, I'm not trying to state that graphics is the main key of the game. But when graphics is worse than in 6(!) yo game - this is just not right.

6 years - time between Half Life and Half Life 2

6 years - time between Mass Effect and Mass Effect 3

6 years - time between Far Cry 2 and Far Cry 4... 

Look how much were they improved over that time! And what about GRID? Trees from 2008? I know that cars and handling are the main goals, but surrounding makes atmosphere! What is the reason of buying GRID 2019 if I still can play GRID Autosport with better visuals??? I was waiting for 6 years to get outdated game with some new cars and tracks? Wasn't it better just to make another DLC for Autosport?

And don't say that this is because of cockpit! Why in 2008 they could make the game with top graphics and cockpit, but in 2013 they had to sacrifice cockpit for better visuals and in 2019 they had to sacrifice graphics for adding a cockpit? Aren't they Code Masters anymore? Are they Code Newbies now?

The most funny thing that there is the same situation with DiRT series! They totally destroyed water (that was their pride in DiRT2/3) and did the same things with    trees - made them outdated and ugly. This makes me think that they lost all talented stuff and modern developers just are not skilled enough...

Edited by lastbreath
  • Agree 1

For those of you who are complaining at every little thing without having 1st hand experience playing the game, we better not see you playing in OCT if you dislike everything so much. If you have no plans on getting the game then your opinions are worthless. 

Edited by Omiley

I'm not complaining about every little thing. The game has 6 yo graphics and 10 yo trees! This is hella serious thing!

My opinion, your opinion... There are facts! Facts on videos and screens. And my plans to buy the game or not won't make trees look better...

9 hours ago, torque99uk said:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1168504162528694272

I'm not sure if this twitter thread has been linked before but the city night lighting looks fantastic, shadows, reflections etc and on par with Dirt2 and F1 2019 having them on PC. I think it will look great and not worried about the graphics at all seeing all the latest clips. 👌

Sorry but no, those reflections are totally fake and absurd. It doesn't seem SSR reflecting the real circuit, but some offscreen blue/green/red cubemap that doesn't make sense.

lRPiiQ3.png

That is not great looking at all: there is a totally unrealistic contrast between some overbright elements over a mainly pitch black environment with totally fake reflections that doesn't match the environment at all. The player's car is somehow unrealistically selfilluminated the entire time. 

For comparision, here's an Open World game from 2015...

giphy.gif

need_for_speed__2015_-3227814.jpg

Real reflections of cars and environment:

NFS-6-Ultra.jpg

2016-03-05_00090-100649242-orig.jpg

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 1

Screens above are decent proof of how better lightning NFS has. Even at night everything is visible, while in GRID 2019 everything is covered under absolutely dark shadows. I remember Witcher 3 had the same poor lightning - absolutely dark shadow areas.

So, GRID2 was released in 2013. After three years NFS2016 was launched and it looked like a huge visual improvement! Another three years passed. Now GRID2019 should look even better than NFS2016! Right?

Codemasters:

angry-no.png.969e26792faf891bf8cf66bd5bf61620.png

Edited by lastbreath

4 hours ago, lastbreath said:

This makes me think that they lost all talented stuff and modern developers just are not skilled enough...

I read somewhere a lot of the people that worked on Dirt 2, one of the best CM titles ever, left and joined Playground to work on Forza Horizon titles. Makes sense, with Forza Horizon having released a specific Rally DLC at that time and all...

What it's really strange to me is...    where is the talent that Codemasters rescued from the Evolution studio closed by Sony after Driveclub? now that was (still is) an amazing looking game, specially for 2014:
giphy.gif

jo1BgkJ.gif

cVWk65Y.gif

DriveClub007.gif

When news broke that Codemasters bought what was left of Evolution, I expected some of this quality in future Codemasters titles...    but it's nowhere to be found.

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 1

Yes, dude! I wanted to mention the same thing! They adopted developers of absolutely stunning Driveclub to make this????

dh.png

Edited by lastbreath
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Omiley said:

For those of you who are complaining at every little thing without having 1st hand experience playing the game, we better not see you playing in OCT if you dislike everything so much. If you have no plans on getting the game then your opinions is worthless. 

That is a textbook false dilemma fallacy. We can criticize the game all we want and still buy it. Game could still be fun but, again, THIS IS NOT WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT, this is about VISUALS, how the game LOOKS, and THAT'S WHY it's titled "Why GRID 2019 looks so bad?"

We can't criticize gameplay in detail, because we haven't played it yet, but we can talk about visuals based on the videos released. We're one month from release date, so it's not like it's gonna radically change.

Edited by jesped

The point still stands, wait until you can actually experience the game instead of jumping to conclusions based compressed YT videos. Some videos looked good and some even showing the exact same footage didnt. What ever happen to deductive reasoning ?

Dude, trees above is not a result of youtube compression. This is a result of lame developing

• Disagree 1

So I guess we're going to ignore the original videos released by CM showing Shanghai in a Porsche and the Corvette at Brands Hatch ? You guys have seen 1 or 2 videos captured by a 3rd party with graphic settings obviously turned down and now its all the evidence you need to bash the Devs ? Like I said, if the game turns out to be amazing we expect not to see some of you online in OCT. Cause whats the point in saying the Devs are lame and then turn around and buy the game anyway. There is a difference between constructive criticism and being blatantly negative for whatever reason.

1 hour ago, Omiley said:

we expect not to see some of you online in OCT.

Who's "we"? your gang? 😂

AGAIN: saying "no criticism allowed until you can play the game" is a FALLACY.
Yes, of course we can criticize visuals based on all showed footage, which is exactly what we are doing. We can't criticize the campaign, for example, because that we cannot test until release. But we have frigging EYES to compare the released footage, with varying degrees of quality, to other similar footage from other games, present and past.

Did you get it already or should I repeat it again?

How does GRID 2019 visuals compare to games like Driveclub, Forzas, GT Sport, ACC or even own current Codemasters titles like Dirt Rally 2 or past titles like GRID Autosport or GRID 2?

BADLY, specially considering the age differences.

Some tracks/environments look worse than others, but I am talking after seeing ALL released footage from CM themselves and others, and the same points apply overall: excessive contrast, oversaturation, flat lighting in sunny areas and too dark in shadow areas, burned/washed out skies, no Eye Adaptation, a LOT of geometry pop-in and shadows LOD in your face, low res flat trees and vegetation, rock walls looking like cardboard, lack of PBR materials, totally unrealistic reflections...   and we are talking about a late 2019 game with closed tracks, no day/night cycle or dynamic weather, no open world...

For the "it's just a Work In Progress, you should wait for the final release" apologizers...   release is 1 month away, how much do you think it can magically change from how it looks now?

Edited by jesped

Omiley, that screen is not from 3rd party, that screen is from official CM video about Sidney Park you mentioned before!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Omiley said:

with graphic settings obviously turned down

So, you agree that graphics on that screens is very weak!

And what is a reason for 3rd parties to turn down graphics? This makes bad reputation for the game and creates topics like this!

On 9/7/2019 at 4:59 PM, jesped said:

When news broke that Codemasters bought what was left of Evolution, I expected some of this quality in future Codemasters titles...    but it's nowhere to be found.

I guess you've closed your eyes then? Did you miss ONRUSH? Evolution's only game that they've made under Codies and it doesn't run on EGO, meaning that the graphics aren't just something they can copy paste over from that.

1 hour ago, UP100 said:

I guess you've closed your eyes then? Did you miss ONRUSH? Evolution's only game that they've made under Codies and it doesn't run on EGO, meaning that the graphics aren't just something they can copy paste over from that.

Oh yes, I honestly forgot ONRUSH for a moment. It was a pass for me for being too fantasy arcade. Read that ONRUSH didn't sell well and CM hit the team with some layoffs, including director "Rushy", but where did the rest of these people go?

I am not talking about "copy paste", of course they can't "copy paste" anything from Driveclub. I'm talking about the quality of the artists and coders that made it so good.

Even with the EGO engine not being top notch, I don't think that's the problem. Dirt Rally 2 uses EGO and it has much better visuals.

Edited by jesped

43 minutes ago, CordedQuill42 said:

Wow, this just escalated like wildfire. I am calling a moderator to sort things out.

@PJTierney

@ChrisGrovesMCM

OMG! people discussing in a discussion forum!  outrageous!

30 minutes ago, jesped said:

Read that ONRUSH didn't sell well and CM hit the team with some layoffs

Well there is your answer about where the Evolution Studios quality is. Evo people most likely working at Codies Evo (Cheshire). Evo is not the developer of this game though as far as I know and most likely can't have a big say in how the graphics are made.

8 minutes ago, UP100 said:

Well there is your answer about where the Evolution Studios quality is. Evo people most likely working at Codies Evo (Cheshire). Evo is not the developer of this game though as far as I know and most likely can't have a big say in how the graphics are made.

According to Wikipedia "the division was shifted to a SUPPORT ROLE for OTHER Codemasters titles."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_Studios

N60ZIAq.png

I don't know, but it would make more sense for the Driveclub team to support a GRID title than a Dirt or F1, right?

Edited by jesped

3 hours ago, jesped said:

OMG! people discussing in a discussion forum!  outrageous!

let me explain a little more.

After my "And thats totally fine" post, @Omiley arrived backing me up, and this turned into a battle, which was unnecessary and not contributing to the subject.

Thats why I tagged the community managers, to help explain the situation. Look, you can complain all you want about the games Graphics (and Trees), but when it turns into a battle of others opinions, stating yours as a "Fact",  and calling others who disagree "Apologizers", then there's a problem here.

2 hours ago, CordedQuill42 said:

Thats why I tagged the community managers, to help explain the situation. Look, you can complain all you want about the games Graphics (and Trees), but when it turns into a battle of others opinions, stating yours as a "Fact",  and calling others who disagree "Apologizers", then there's a problem here.

I agree it doesn't have to become any "battle". You were the first one saying for the first time in these forums you were upset and calling the moderators and acting like this is an intolerable beef. @Omiley was the one saying things like "we better not see you playing in OCT" (OoOohh sCarY😂)...    and absurdities like "If you have no plans on getting the game then your opinions are worthless."... which doesn't even make any sense at all.

Don't be so oversensitive. If you think this is harsh...   have you ever been at Steam forums? 🤣
This is just a discussion and a exchange of different opinions and facts (yes, some are).

At least both @lastbreath and I have been posting plenty of captures and videos to prove our points, and those clearly stand as contrast for how bad GRID 2019 looks, specially in comparision to other titles.

My exact words were "For the "it's just a Work In Progress, you should wait for the final release" apologizers... release is 1 month away, how much do you think it can magically change from how it looks now?"

That overused phrase by several people is just an excuse. The important part is the second one, the fact (yes) that less than 1 month of development time is not enough to radically alter the look of a game that already has been shown many times.

Have anybody saw any other Codemasters titles that changed so much from videos shown 1 month before to the released version?

Edited by jesped

2 hours ago, CordedQuill42 said:

it turns into a battle of others opinions, stating yours as a "Fact"

I didn't take "my opinion" from my head. There are official videos of GRID2019 and everyone who has eyes can see, that surrounding and lightning are very bad, even worse than in GRID2, 6-yo game! And I will be very glad if any moderator comes here and explains what the hell is going on! Why the game from 2019 looks like PS2 game?

Edited by lastbreath

What I mean by "we" are the GRID fans who plan on buying the game for starters. You guys are cherry picking certain videos to suit your argument. If all you took from those videos were the trees didnt look amazing! and the lighting wasnt amazing! then you missed alot. It's fine though, feel however you want but I saw alot to look forward too as well as some things I didn't like. But I won't go out on a limb like most until I have played the game. The point I'm trying to make is you're entitled to your opinions if they are constructive, pass a certain point it becomes negative and no one wants to entertain negativity. I've seen it happen too often when people speak ill on something at first glance then regret it later if they were wrong. Its hard to show your face if your premature assumptions are proven wrong.

Edited by Omiley