DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×

GRID Graphics Discussion

On 9/24/2019 at 9:48 AM, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

There's actually some super useful stuff in here that we can look at and address, but it's surrounded by unnecessary moaning and shouting, so it won't be responded to. 🤷‍♂️

Depends how u take it ? that's clear as day. so it won't be responded to. A moderator even changed ur thread name but u think ur helping right ? 

12 minutes ago, jesped said:

19 pages thread with 16K views.

So now we get to what u really care about, this thread lol. Are you proud or something ? u making money off this ? LOL. Why would u even mention that if ur not proud of it like its an accomplishment.

35 minutes ago, Bluestig said:

Tbf it’s mostly you and lastbreath arguing amongst yourselves 😂 

It's more like lastbreath and me posting examples of the points we make about very noticeable graphical issues, comparisions with games from last 5, 10 years ago, among some noise from some fanboys who would like to close the thread and pray to Codemasters with "faith" because they had their little feelings hurt by some criticism.

Then there is a lot of people in the middle too, some agree on the importance of some points and not others, some contribute with their own opinions and examples, and some just read and don't bother writing anything. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 3

6 hours ago, Bluestig said:

Big companies don’t need big names because their own names are marketing themselves. Everyone will check out the new Sony or Microsoft game. But barely anyone knows Codies so I guess they aim for exposure

When Codies adopted Motorstorm and DriveClub developers - it was the best free advertisement any company could dream about! Gamers all over the world were waiting from this cooperation new mindblowing games. And the first in list was Motorstorm (of course under another title). Codies could rise millions! Literally millions! Instead they jumped on multiplayer hypetrain and released a game noone asked about...

giphy.gif

I really don't understand. I'm sure they have marketing team. I'm sure they pay them a lot. How professionals could **** up such a brilliant moment?

I even don't mention how many players were dreaming about mix of GRID and Driveclub! Codies experience and Evolution ambition... *****, I thought new racing game from Codies would be ******* WITCHER 3 among racings! And it really is... In a question of visual downgrade... Triumphant return, without a doubt!

Edited by lastbreath
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Omiley's thread just got a response directly from Codemasters member, that should be evidence enough that ur approach to this thread was misguided. Change ur attitude, make a new thread and maybe they will take ur feedback seriously too.

25 minutes ago, Gears4Brains said:

So now we get to what u really care about, this thread lol

Jesped wanted to say that thread popularity means people care about visuals. Instead you turned his words like he was a selfish person.

10 minutes ago, Gears4Brains said:

make a new thread

Why? You will come there too and will moan that the game is brilliant and we are just haters. This thread was polite too until you attacked us yelling in blind belief that our claims were pointless

Edited by lastbreath
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Gears4Brains said:

Coming back already?  I thought you "were done"...

On 10/1/2019 at 5:56 PM, Gears4Brains said:

Im done dealing with people like you

😂

A moderator even changed ur thread name but u think ur helping right ? 

It seems for "some reason" you forgot this part here:

On 9/24/2019 at 4:48 PM, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

There's actually some super useful stuff in here that we can look at and address

But hey, your expertise in empty contributions to the topic and uneducated technical statements like "reflections are easy to change at the end of the development of a multiplatform title" may be more useful. 🤷‍♂️

So now we get to what u really care about, this thread lol. Are you proud or something ? u making money off this ? LOL. Why would u even mention that if ur not proud of it like its an accomplishment.

You caught me, this is a scheme and I'm making millions off it. 😂
If you wouldn't be so bitterly desperate for an attempt at a comeback you would have understand it for what it is: people care about graphics, so they visit the thread. As simple as that, but maybe not simple enough for you. 

Edited by jesped

BTW, does anybody thought that if the goal were simply to sh|t on Codemasters we could be doing this in big forums like Neogaf, Resetera, ...   or Twitter, Facebook, ...  instead of an intimate controlled (by them) environment like this subforum? 🤷‍♂️

Edited by jesped

Just a quick reminder on how hot things were at the (renamed 😉 ) FFB thread: 

On the positive side they just released these fantastic still shots on social media. The details (to me) look better each time they release official footage. I don't see these photos being any worse than Auto Sport. (Look at the clear draw distance detail etc)

EF4BkD9WoAAgDD4.jpg

EF4BkD7XkAA7Onl.jpg

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, torque99uk said:

On the positive side they just released these fantastic still shots on social media. The details (to me) look better each time they release official footage. I don't see these photos being any worse than Auto Sport. (Look at the clear draw distance detail etc)

Come on, man...    are you seriously going to fall for promo images?  from good old famous bullshot champ Codemasters? 😂

Do you remember GRID Autosport looking this good?
grid-autosport-season-pass-pc-pl-digital
ss_3bf699f8c47b2576614dae6ca13a02941c5fb

Me neither... 😉

Do you remember Dirt 2 looking this good in 2009?
colinmcrae_176498.jpg

Me neither...

Trust only real gameplay. Promo images are called bullshots for a reason...

Edited by jesped

I understand but I do think they are from the game engine. I reckon I could match that Auto Sport shot 🙂 I will try and get a good one with 4K.

Dirt 2 shot I agree very good promo.

Dirt Rally 2 did have some fantastic Ultra visuals on the Ego engine replays 

Edited by torque99uk
  • Agree 1

Bullshots use a cherry picked base shot in-engine, but at settings that are not playable. Then they are heavily doctored with all sorts of dirty trickery that have nothing to do with what you really see when you play the game:
https://kotaku.com/how-a-fake-video-game-screenshot-is-made-1660404535

Just for a example, look at ALL released GRID promo bullshots so far. You will see motion blur heavily used on everything but the cars. It is a nice trick that transmit the sense of speed and prevents you from noticing the lack of real detail. But the thing is...   if you check any of the real gameplay videos...   there is no motion blur at all in them. :classic_ohmy:

There isn't even a setting for Motion Blur, as should be usual :classic_blink::
image.png

And this is another controversial point. Some people hate motion blur, but some really like it. It has been present in all past Codemasters titles that I recall, so there should be at least an option here for the people who like it.

Edited by jesped
  • Like 1

You can get a little motion blur on replays. I just took this quickly on Auto Sport (PC).

But to get the full motion blur you need fast speed settings on replays  (Dirt Rally 2)

or for realistic motion blur a photo mode with shutter speed settings i.e 1/30 1/60 (F1 2019). 

All photo taken in game by me.

So I think the previous new Grid shots above were taken in game on replay, or via their own basic Photo Mode built in the engine.

GRID_Autosport_Screenshot_2019_10.02_-_19_10_09_25.png

ECeQaKAXsAIzUrE.jpg

ED1p4h9XYAI_RCh.jpg

EB_J1AHW4AEMJD1.jpg

Edited by torque99uk
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, torque99uk said:

All photo taken in game by me

Great shots man. 👍
Classic heavy motion blur and heavy Depth of Field.
Best looker is of course F1. :classic_biggrin:

But you see what I mean. There isn't even motion blur in the GRID settings menu or gameplay videos, but they are using promo bullshots with heavy motion blur. Those say nothing about real gameplay. 
Same with the photo modes almost omnipresent these days. You can take amazing shots from GT Sport that look like real photos with that, but that's not how the game looks when you play it.

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 2

@jesped Yes I do understand and agree with you, the shots used on promo are not as you play and will always be better on Photo Mode or Replay.

To be fair they have put a fair amount of other shots up and out there for the public to see early and allowed the whole game out there before release! Not many games allow this much media exposure before release. So I do praise codies (Grid) for this decision. 

Edited by torque99uk
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, torque99uk said:

To be fair they have put a fair amount of other shots up and out there for the public to see early and allowed the whole game out there before release! Not many games allow this much media exposure before release. So I do praise codies (Grid) for this. 

I think the whole Youtubers marketing move was very smart. They do great promotion for free and don't criticize any single thing from the game. If only half of their subscribers end up buying the game it's going to be a good start for Codemasters. 😂

• Like 1

Honestly, gotta give props to the codies marketing team. The extra month for marketing really worked as no one knew about this game a month ago but now it’s on every racing channel. Guess they learned from Onrush!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, jesped said:

I think the whole Youtubers marketing move was very smart. They do great promotion for free and don't criticize any single thing from the game. If only half of their subscribers end up buying the game it's going to be a good start for Codemasters. 😂

I'm one of them :classic_cool: 😁

• Haha 1

New video: 

Not going to post a long string of images, but trees look as bad as usual:image.png.661827b99e7a10872c5812f053b180a9.png

You can see textures slowly loading here: https://youtu.be/5PWwueNyVi0?t=758
image.thumb.png.72837c755f67a932561a24fa1a36999e.png

Cables appear out of nowhere by partsimage.thumb.png.105f0a1b31cf6476024fbc6489f5c20b.png:
image.png.da4520dcd45140b74fbb7771e3838ead.png

Edited by jesped

2 hours ago, jesped said:

Do you remember GRID Autosport looking this good?

In 4K it does yup. Regarding that last video the trees and whatnot be as they may, what caught my eye was in the first seconds lol
84rxYvc.jpg

oh, and in the video at 2:35, contact is made with sparks flying, but visually the cars don't touch.

Edited by Sir.Smoke

8 minutes ago, Sir.Smoke said:

In 4K it does yup. Regarding that last video the trees and whatnot be as they may, what caught my eye was in the first seconds lol

4K is not a magic solution for everything. Upping the resolution makes bad elements more prominent. Promo images hide all those behind motion blur, Depth of Field or directly Photoshop.
To have stable 4K60 you need very expensive hardware. Which most people don't have.

Yeah, crowds don't cast shadows, so in shots like that they just float there. It's understandable with that many people in the crowds. I said it earlier, I don't get why so many resources of this game are spent in so dense crowds with so high polycount (and no visible LOD switch) while other much more visible elements like trees or reflections are so lacking...   🤦‍♂️

I would halve those crowds for better trees and reflections in a heartbeat.

I am talking from experience, racing autosport almost every evening on a 55" 4K running everything maxed at 160fps, your example images are what is on screen.
Here's to hoping that all the hard workers at Codemasters tackle the issue.

2 hours ago, jesped said:

I think the whole Youtubers marketing move was very smart

while marketing early ugly build was not very smart ))

• Agree 1

I agree @lastbreath it seems to me as though the game even on PC has settings suitable to run reasonably well on both the Xbox 1X and PS4 PRO.

To me it looks like ther are no high let alone ultra details whatsoever...

Surely it would have made far more sense to release a "limited demo" with the tracks cars and effects in as close to launch state as possible???

I nearly avoided the game entirely, thanks to the (IMO) attrocious looking vids many youtubers have put out there without advising the hardware used, settings deployed and total lack of ANYONE actually doing a deep dive into the settings and actually investigating our many fears to date.

Then I remembered the GAS High res texture pack and bought the game in the hope that the delay was in order to add any such texture pack before launch so we don't all end up on launch day with a 50GB patch taking hours (or for those with particularly bad net conmnections DAYS) to download and install...

I live in hope, just don't want them dashed AGAIN... 

8 hours ago, [SRS13]Rastus said:

Then I remembered the GAS High res texture pack and bought the game in the hope that the delay was in order to add any such texture pack before launch so we don't all end up on launch day with a 50GB patch taking hours (or for those with particularly bad net conmnections DAYS) to download and install...

My personal feeling was that the game got delayed because the date collided with Borderlands 3 and due to the hype and expectation levels of that game it would've been complete madness to even think about pedaling your wares on the same day. Plus, Codemasters' dates are usually pretty solid - to the point where (excluding DR1 because that was crowdfunded and I'm unsure of the release process of such games) I don't ever recall a previous game slipping past it's release date.

Speaking of crowdfunding/early access and due to the massive success of Dirt Rally 1, I was wondering why Codemasters haven't considered doing the same thing again. The reason I mention this is because looking at Wreckfest, user input or community feedback completely reshaped that game from a not very good sim-esque demolition game to how we all see it now. I was fortunate enough to be part of it's journey and although I did get a little bored of the game through it's (very, very) long process of evolution it was still great to see the game shaping from something that nobody wanted into something more worthy of the Flatout franchise. Admittedly, it was 'do or die' for Bugbear but the main point was that, just like DR1, it's process of development ensured a much more worthy product.

Coincidentally but albeit on a much, much lesser scale these forums (and in particular this thread) are doing a similar thing to early access in the sense that the community is giving feedback to what they see as *clear and obvious* errors or omissions and again just like early access, whether it be visuals, handling, audio or whatever there should be no such thing as "well, it looks good enough to me so therefore it's ok" or "if i'm driving at 100mph I won't see it anyway" because If it's wrong it's wrong. Period. The point of feedback is just that - to give feedback in order to try make a better game.

Judging by what we all see or what we're all reading it does seem clear that people with a better technical understanding of how things work have seen *clear and obvious* errors in graphics and shadows within Grid 2019 and regardless of allegiance towards Codemasters or feelings of general nit-picking towards seemingly minor things these judgements have to be respected. For the record I also believe that the level of analysis is way too deep and sometimes trivial but you know, at the end of the day (as previously mentioned) what's wrong is wrong so there's no point whatsoever trying to argue it as right because of any personal feelings or beliefs. So with that in mind why not just let this thread go where it's supposed to go and do what it's supposed to do? If Codemasters want to take observations on board in order to improve the game then that's their choice. 

Edited by _BorisTheFrog_
  • Agree 1