GRID Graphics Discussion

Not so sure about the Borderlands bit being behind the delay as I hear there's a backlash coming thanks largely to the the Epic store year long exclusive fiasco and Steam subsequently changing their policy to not allow games with year long exclusivity agreements onto the platform from now on. Pretty sure Steam said anything exclusive for longer than 3 months wouldn't get a look in. personally such exclusive are devisive and make little sense as it just ends up dividing gamers and lowering the available player numbers on each platform. Look at FH3/4 and FM7 crossplatform has been a godsend uniting Xbox and PC players for once. Roll on the next consoles as al least they WILL be using current gen PC hardware (Ryzen 3000 series based CPU and RDNA2 based GPU rumoured to be capable of 10 TFlops e.g. as powerful as the 5700XT but with the addition of hardware based raytracing) plus they'll both be operating on a basic version of win 10

What made me actually suggest there IS a high res pack is looking at the vids so far I see very little difference in image quality between the Xbox 1X and PC running the game at 4K ultra settings this just leads me to assume the upper settings weren't actually included (despite the UI being in place the actual effects may not have been)...? You CAN see a difference between the Xbox 1X and PS4 PRO which to me re-enforces my thoughts... can't be sure till launch day I guess

I hope to God I'm close to the truth or that refund becomes highly likely rather than just a possibility...

I like the idea of DR1 with the early access allowing input from the players, I've been involved in a few closed and open betas over the years e.g. closed and open beta and later purchased Founder status in Warframe with a say on the design council, also took part in the closed and open beta of F1 online the game from codemasters and was deeply gutted it got canned for because of the low fuel bug rather than Codies fixing it, sadly I think this would likely require a much bigger team and that could be the reason it's not been used since?

Many of us took part in the survey Codemasters instigated regarding what we wanted from the next Grid (wasn't this after Grid 2 was derided by us old skool "Gridders" can't remember for sure). This certainly had a positive effect on the development of GAS and it headed back towards the middle ground between Sim and Arcade, Sim like handling but more forgiving of driver errors, more or less an arcade game allowing crash downshifting without blowing the gearbox all to hell. Bringing the best of both worlds,requiring a modicum of skill but preserving the wheel to wheel action of the 1st game. I guess We'll only have to wait a few days to know for sure but I'm trying to be optimistic despite my misgivings....

Guys...    you are aware that the GRID Autosport High Res Texture Pack was ONLY for cars, right?  it was only to update the cars textures to 4K.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/295100/GRID_Autosport__High_Res_Texture_Pack/
image.png.5d521810d8c9ac0352a791013f080031.png

It doesn't improve anything from the tracks or anything else than cars textures, which already should be 4K on GRID 2019.

And you are aware it was announced several MONTHS before the game release, right?

Here is the reason why some are upset with the this thread.

This was the original sneak peek Codemasters released.

Now this the next video is the source of the controversy.

Anyone using their heads would wonder why they look so different. Cause 1 is captured very high quality, and other obviously isnt. The 2nd video was by a random YTer. Instead of putting 2 and 2 together to figure out the random YTer's video isnt what the final game is going to look like, u guys took that and ran with it. I dont get how some are confused by that. And now with even better videos coming out u back urself into a corner by saying the game look bad, instead of admitting u jumped the gun. It was a real easy conclusion to make for anyone with PC experience. ULTRA vs LOW is a night and day difference. We just want some of u to be more patient and not jump to so early. Until you have the game, everything from everyone here is pure speculation, not FACTS.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I stand corrected there lol. Good shout out there @jesped 🙂 

I still think the PC version has been dumbed down to Xbox 1 levels as I see very little difference seeing PC ultra vs Xbox 1. I guess knowing the GPU in the PC would help out here as the Xbox 1X tops out at 6 TFlops (same as my 6 year old R9 290X) and half the power of my old Vega 64 (13TFlops).

Given all three are AMD's GCN based the comparison is reasonably valid.

Just got a 5700XT capable of 10.7TFlops but it outperforms the Vega 64 by around 10-20% (fps rate) probably due to it being a new architecture, smaller process node, having MUCH higher clock speeds and designed for GAMING rather than compute tasks. Hell the Vega 64 has 4096 stream processors vs the 2560 in the 5700XT.

Stroll on the next gen consoles. We'll FINALLY get to see games unhampered by HAVING to run on the original Xbox 1 and PS4 only capable of a paltry 1.31TFlops and 1.84TFlops respectively. We shold see games of far far better quality after these are no longer the base for games in general.

Edited by Guest

You raise some good points there @Gears4Brains

The only issue I see is the 1st vid is at night making it difficult to assess vs the daytime vid, 2nd is no trees visible, 3rd is the view distances are limited in the 2nd vid by the buildings.

As I mentioned above I think the game we've seen running has been limited (thats just my opinion but based on previous experience). 

Yes I've seen some of these same issues in other games but nowhere near as bad as in every video I've seen other than the 1st one you showed above.  Yeah I KNOW the game is an early and incomplete version but I was playing GAS before launch and it had NONE of the issues seen in GRID 2019.

Maybe GAS was a later itteration than GRID 2019 has been, if so then Codies have created this storm in a teacup for themselves by showing the game far earlier in it's development cycle than they did with GAS.

Sure we don't know the hardware used in each vid but when I saw the 4K ultra PC gameplay it looked no better than confirmed Xbox 1X vids also at 4K. 

I've still put my cash on the table, As I've said before I really REALLY want to see codies return to the top of their game. It's just frustrating that nothing has been said by Codies themselves regarding this situation.

I'll be MORE than happy to eat my words on launch day if the game looks better but will still be asking why it was shown in such a poor state.

Here's one of my GAS pre-launch videos recorded weeks before the game launched but published after the NDA lifted so still the dev build/press preview not the release version. 

Running at 1080p on my old R9 290X same power as the Xbox 1X, with very little LOD pop in, better looking trees little to no fogging, recorded using Fraps @ 30 fps

Whereas this is Grid 2019 4K 60fps and you can clearly see the pop in on the trees, masses of fogging used to hide the LOD pop in washing out the colurs at a distance...

As I said above If the game is massively improved I'd have to ask why it was shown in such an unfinished state ass it really creates a poor impression of the game and can seriously put people off. In which case Codies have done themselves a dis-service allowing it out too soon just to get it to a show..

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Gears4Brains said:

Here is the reason why some are upset with the this thread.

This was the original sneak peek Codemasters released.

Now this the next video is the source of the controversy.

Anyone using their heads would wonder why they look so different. Cause 1 is captured very high quality, and other obviously isnt. The 2nd video was by a random YTer. Instead of putting 2 and 2 together to figure out the random YTer's video isnt what the final game is going to look like, u guys took that and ran with it. I dont get how some are confused by that. And now with even better videos coming out u back urself into a corner by saying the game look bad, instead of admitting u jumped the gun. It was a real easy conclusion to make for anyone with PC experience. ULTRA vs LOW is a night and day difference.

Boy, are you tiresome...  🤦‍♂️

As already explained several times, even directly to you, it was later stated by @ChrisGrovesMCM that the original video that started this thread had a problem with HDR, but not any of the others, that was the only one. It was later clarified by the youtuber it was from Xbox, not "Low vs Ultra".
image.png.8be3bd77c80471eea4f96b2b83b71168.png

Since that initial pages there has been dozens of examples of all sorts of bad stuff from the game, in many different areas, even from PC Ultra videos and 4K60... but you prefer to ignore them to keep your illusion bubble and your blind "faith".

Here's your "very high quality amazing looking game":
image.pngimage.pngimage.png

fgjj.gifB2G0igv.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngdh.png

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

image.png

image.thumb.png.f284a733f29bfac331df58ce78ae0d97.pngRoad_texture.jpgRoad_texture_2.jpg

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Most of the problems doesn't even have to do with "Low vs Ultra", like Trees, GI or Motion Blur not having a setting in the Advanced Options menu, track areas being excessively dark due to lack of proper Eye Adaptation/Automatic Exposure, LOD switcheroo so near the camera, etc.

The thing is...    what's your point?   really, what's your point with your posts here, again and again?  you don't contribute anything of value to the topic, it's all just puerile rants ala "shut up! you hurting my illusions!" 🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, Gears4Brains said:

everything from everyone here is pure speculation, not FACTS.

You are wrong, as usual. Contrary to blind fanboyism dogma and "faith", these are FACTS, based on the current builds, which according to some youtubers and gaming sites, are FINAL. I don't know if you can understand spanish, but in this video from VANDAL they clearly state "we already have been able to test it in its FINAL version": 

FINAL:
image.thumb.png.ffdab9b854791d317dd24b1e94aeb846.png

Youtubers and gaming channels are playing the FULL game with REVIEW codes, 1 WEEK ahead of launch.

It's being stated MANY TIMES, but nobody answered this: how much Dirt 4 or Dirt Rally 2 changed from the videos showed 1 month before release to release date? ZERO. NOTHING. NADA. 🤷‍♂️

Yet some of you are still expecting this multiplatform game will magically have all these problems fixed at launch, with not a single specific word from the devs about them, beyond "these reports are useful".

Edited by jesped

5 hours ago, Gears4Brains said:

Anyone using their heads would wonder why they look so different. Cause 1 is captured very high quality, and other obviously isnt. The 2nd video was by a random YTer. Instead of putting 2 and 2 together to figure out the random YTer's video isnt what the final game is going to look like, u guys took that and ran with it. I dont get how some are confused by that. And now with even better videos coming out u back urself into a corner by saying the game look bad, instead of admitting u jumped the gun. It was a real easy conclusion to make for anyone with PC experience. ULTRA vs LOW is a night and day difference. We just want some of u to be more patient and not jump to so early. Until you have the game, everything from everyone here is pure speculation, not FACTS.

This has already been brought up and it could be they differ so much because Shanghai is a brand new built from scratch circuit and Okutama *may* be a HD update of the original. But yes, I absolutely see your point because side by side they look like two completely different games

Edited by _BorisTheFrog_

@jesped

That is one large photo album, maybe boil down to 3 or 4 photos from now on, please? Id would have taken a lot more time to read it if it didn't take up a lot of this page. I also would've quoted it IF it didn't take up too much space.

@ChrisGrovesMCM would like to respond, but your comments are posted in a non constructive, negative manner. ANY comment posted in such matter will NOT be responded to, Period. Omiley's post was responded to by Codemasters Staff because he done so in a constructive way. Maybe you could've made the post a lot more constructive, but thats what happens when you let your anger control you. Thats why I have been pushing for this thread to be locked.

And, For Your Information, This games graphics are much better than some other games and are good enough for some people. This game has some graphics problems, yes. But you cannot deny how great this game is.

Edited by CordedQuill42
Shouldn't have left that, sorry
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, CordedQuill42 said:

Maybe you could've made the post a lot more constructive

Please, can you at last explain what do you mean under word "constructive".

Because this is the most constructive thread here. There is no blind fanboism, but all claims are proved with screens and videos. So what's the problem with you?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, lastbreath said:

Please, can you at last explain what do you mean under word "constructive".

Because this is the most constructive thread here. There is no blind fanboyism, but all claims are proved with screens and videos. So what's the problem with you?

My terms of constructive are:

• Having Respect for the other side of the argument
  • Being Fair in your responses that represent your side
  • Not insulting others that do not choose sides
  • Being reasonable for people who doubt your argument
  • Being honest and citing your sources
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, CordedQuill42 said:

@jesped

That is one large photo album, maybe boil down to 3 or 4 photos from now on, please? Id would have taken a lot more time to read it if it didn't take up a lot of this page. I also would've quoted it IF it didn't take up too much space.

It is a thread about graphics that keeps being constantly discredited as "just some minor things with trees and reflections", well...   these are just some examples, not opinions.

28 minutes ago, CordedQuill42 said:

@ChrisGrovesMCM would like to respond, but your comments are posted in a non constructive, negative manner. ANY comment posted in such matter will NOT be responded to, Period. Omiley's post was responded to by Codemasters Staff because he done so in a constructive way. Maybe you could've made the post a lot more constructive, but thats what happens when you use your emotion in a large weight at the post. Thats why I have been pushing for this threat to be locked.

Omiley's post got an answer about a candid question...    OMG, what an accomplishment! 😂
It had nothing to do with being "constructive". All the bug reports here are as "constructive" as the devs want to make them...    they just need to take on the problems, fix the game and ignore the opinions they dislike. Not that hard, specially when you have moderators and Community Managers filtering everything for you.

These forums are full with plenty of very polite questions and doubts that go on unanswered, totally ignored. Some stuff is not just in the interest of the devs to answer. Answers may be controversial either way, so sometimes it is better for them to not commit to any response and just ignore any questions or doubts.

You pushed for the thread to be locked because you got your feelings hurt, so what were you saying about "using your emotion"? 🤷‍♂️
I'm sure my tone is not the politest, just ignore the tone and check if the statements and info are right or wrong. Anything can be corrected/updated. That's what really is important.

Have any of you really checked out the (renamed too 😉 ) DR2 FFB thread I posted yesterday?  how really mad people were for so long and nobody got any answer from Codemasters about the issue? Steam forum was a hell of a lot worse.

Edited by jesped

Funny cause I don't see @jesped's comments as non constructive and it's nice to know you speak for @ChrisGrovesMCM now.

The comments we've made are asking WHY the game looks this bad this late in the day whats going on and have there been any significant changes we are unaware of, we get greeted with silence from codies, slagged off and told to go away whilst you openly admit to deliberately trying to close down this discussion thread because of some perceived bullying on our part?

Sorry but trying to close down a discussion because it gets more traction than the "Grid looks amazing" thread that died a rapid death is tantamount to operating in a dictatorship Who's bullying who here? You don't see myself or jesped trashing the amazing thread because from where we sit it just doesn't look amazing it looks mediocre at best and we've been asking for answers but only get people like yourself bad mouthing us, accusing us of bullying, telling us we don't appreciate the devs, telling us the devs won't answer unless we're constructive etc. 

If I were a Dev I'd be listening to the complainers more than the fanboys as the complainers point out the flaws whereas the fanboys just say yeah great looks brilliant, If as a dev all I heard was great stuff I'd not bother to change anything and let you have the dev build, critisism is constructive by it's very nature, it highlights flaws and perceived issues allowing progress to be made based on the input of prospective customers.

On the other hand listening to people gush and fawn all over you gives you no clue as to whats not right nor how to go about remedying the flaws

As I said in a rather long winded post we "Moaners" want a return to greatness for Codies, None of us want to see them die off, None of us hate the devs in any way shape or form. suggesting we DO is putting words in our mouths and making assumtions that we don't care when we do, very VERY (caps used for emphasis see?) deeply, passionately and quite probably far more than the blatant fanboys...

Sigh you guys just dont get it huh ? or either want it ur way or the high way. Constructive is as follows - Hey Codemasters, take a look at these misplaced reflections, there in the wrong place or are incorrect, will they be fixed by launch ? Take a look at these trees, are those final and if so they really need improvement. Not these reflections are FAKE and these trees are HORRIBLE and digusting. Thats what they mean. But u guys just want to vent ur grief in ur own way, nothing wrong with that. But you catch more flies with honey then vinegar, just saying.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, CordedQuill42 said:
  • Having Respect for the other side of the argument
  •  

I always try to be respectful to those who show the same to me instead of desperately scrabbling around in an effort to close a discussion because YOU don't like the tone. respect is earned not just handed out...

21 minutes ago, CordedQuill42 said:

Being Fair in your responses that represent your side

How is citicising poor graphics at this late stage unfair? I'd be taking notes of the critics and trying to formulate a response in an effort to ease the worries of prospective customers not ignoring them entirely because I take valid criticism as a personal insult...

24 minutes ago, CordedQuill42 said:

Not insulting others that do not choose sides

Whom have I insulted thats been sat on the fence or even those on the other side of this discussion? 

25 minutes ago, CordedQuill42 said:

Being reasonable for people who doubt your argument

We've provided evidence after evidence after evidence that many choose to ignore, gloss over or flat out refuse to even acknowledge. Yet we get attacked and repeated attempts to close down this discussion. i.e. attempted bullying into submission. are we in the "Grid looks amazing" thread trying to shut it down because we dissagree? No we show it the merit we feel it deserves, we read it and ignore it as it has little relevence to us and has beendisproved over and over and over here.

30 minutes ago, CordedQuill42 said:

Being honest and citing your sources

Seriously???? How many pictures has Jesped produced to highlight the problems we're seeing? How many vids has he produced again highlighting the issues clearly seen in almost all vids we've seen so far, I produced vids of GAS press release version showing better tree at a distance thanthose close up in GRID 2019, along with a screenshot from in game of Forza Apex (a tech demo from 3 years ago) showing trees with leaves as far as you can see.

7 minutes ago, Gears4Brains said:

Sigh you guys just dont get it huh ? or either want it ur way or the high way. Constructive is as follows - Hey Codemasters, take a look at these misplaced reflections, there in the wrong place or are incorrect, will they be fixed by launch ? Take a look at these trees, are those final and if so they really need improvement. Not these reflections are FAKE and these trees are HORRIBLE and digusting. Thats what they mean. But u guys just want to vent ur grief in ur own way, nothing wrong with that. But you catch more flies with honey then vinegar, just saying.

Sorry but thats EXACTLY what we've been doing, pointing out perceived flaws and asking why it's this way, nothing we say has been inflamatory, derogitory or defaming in any way...

1 minute ago, SourceCodeError said:

Just curious... To all that are expressing their concerns about the graphics... Do you plan on purchasing the game?

Already have but if it's not vastly improved I'll be asking for a refund, on the other hand if it IS massively improved I'll gladly admit I was wrong but I'll still ask why the blazes was the press release put out in such an unfinished state? Whilst chomping down a huge slice of humble pie

Doing so just creates this exact situation where we see another potential disappointment looming on the horizon and leaves us with the wrong impression of the game. I said somewhere above (or possibly in another forum thread). it would have made far more sense to release a few tracks completed for press preview rather than a full game in a half finished state. 

14 minutes ago, Gears4Brains said:

Not these reflections are FAKE and these trees are HORRIBLE and digusting

What's wrong with words "fake, horrible and disgusting"? This is not my fault that you're oversensitive. I thought EMO times had gone many years ago...

• Haha 1

Just now, lastbreath said:

What's wrong with words "fake, horrible and disgusting"? This is not my fault that you're oversensitive. I thought EMO times had gone many years ago...

My feelings are not important, the Developers feelings are whom u should be concerned with. They are the ones making the game not me.

2 minutes ago, [SRS13]Rastus said:

it would have made far more sense to release a few tracks completed for press preview rather than a full game in a half finished state. 

You know, this is a very good point.  Why wasn't a Demo released.... Hmmm... Buyer beware.

Just now, SourceCodeError said:

You know, this is a very good point.  Why wasn't a Demo released.... Hmmm... Buyer beware.

There's a thread about that very subject. It kinda died after it was stated that no demo was planned..... Make of that what you will....

11 minutes ago, SourceCodeError said:

Do you plan on purchasing the game?

With such visuals - definitely no. I have to install Win10, free 100 gb of disk space and pay 50 bucks for what? Game requirements are simply inconsistent with such gfx. 4 new tracks and cockpit - all GRID can offer. Everything else is better (or equal) in Autosport and I still can play it. So, this is a rhetorical question.

14 minutes ago, Gears4Brains said:

My feelings are not important, the Developers feelings are whom u should be concerned with

I'm a customer. If the game doesn't satisfy my expectations - i simply choose another game. And you can continue to discuss whose feelings matter

BTW, you are all forgetting already that @ChrisGrovesMCM DID answer in this thread, stating that one of my claims was wrong:

My claim was based on some youtubers comments, as I can't test the game, and Chris was quick to say it was wrong.

But...   why only this one? why not ANY of the many other ones have been disproved like this one? 😉

4ac.gif

Edited by jesped

Pre-loading enabled check your steam client peoples!!!!