GRID Graphics Discussion

7 hours ago, jesped said:

and don't know what to make of this double image...   bad editing?  because I can't believe motion blur would be this bad:

At least vegas has that feature in which they create these kinds of "ghost images" when the framerate doesn't match or something.

• Agree 1

After watching more videos of Okutama and seeing how incredibly different it is from other tracks, I think I figured out what's going on with it, they just tried to give it a more "artistic" look. I am not impressed with the end result, but it certainly is an interesting different approach in the game.

Other than that, I insist that in all newer videos the game looks from good in some tracks and conditions, to absolutely amazing in some others. There are still a couple issues, but IMO they are very minimal compared to how glorious it looks in general, I am pretty sure this will set new standards for racing games, at least for when played at high settings. I just hope the gameplay is in such very high standards also.

Btw, preparing for Grid 2019, today I raced in GAS again after a couple years, well in my new PC this looks great as well, and has so many great tracks and cars. Completely off topic, but I am really wondering why this game is not still very alive at least in multiplayer...

• Agree 1

@jesped I was on my old tv when I viewed them first so posted the links, now I have paused them again on my PC this time you are right they are not uploaded correctly as now I also have double vision  🤓 I will wait for better 2160p60 video to show what I thought was improved from previous videos and screen capture it if I can clearly.

1 hour ago, cpcdem said:

they just tried to give it a more "artistic" look.

Oh yeah, it's not that it's bad, it's just "artistic". 😂

Image result for horrible jesus restoration

1 hour ago, cpcdem said:

I am pretty sure this will set new standards for racing games

You're joking, right? 😂

What "new standards" are you referring to? the "new" standard of going back to cubemap sh|tty reflections from a different universe when 5, 10 and even 18 years old games were doing real reflections? the new standard of LOD switcheroo with an ugly transparency pattern in your face? the standard of having cartoony trees that look worse than your own company's past titles? the standard of not adapting the visibility in dark areas and leave you totally blind in darkness? the standard of seeing textures still loading their full resolution when the race is already being presented? 🤷‍♂️

I'm sorry, not trying to offend, but stating this game is going to "set new standards" is completely laughable, and shows a total out of touch with the reality of videogames graphics technologies in 2019.

Edited by jesped
  • Disagree 1

Stop being so disrespectful and combative, people have the right to feel how they want just as you do. All of that typing could have been sum up by saying "I disagree and heres why" u are just a mean little person. Mad at everyone not agreeing with u.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

I've just been watching The GamesDenTV playthrough on Youtube,he was previously playing on PC and has now switched to Xbox One S......Brands Hatch is a barren wasteland,no crowd at all...looks like a totally different game.I know it's the weakest console but I was taken aback by what I saw,it looks totally different and I'm now concerned about what base PS4 will look like because that's what I'll be playing on.

Ok...have watched some more of this and there is a crowd on one race but on another there is none...very weird...a bug perhaps?

Edited by kyussman
updated information

Gears4Brains

He has facts to prove his disagreement.

You have only your words how beautiful the game is. But feelings are subjective, while facts are facts.

Edited by lastbreath
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, kyussman said:

I've just been watching The GamesDenTV playthrough

Give me the link because I can't find such channel 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivk0mKKT1Ao&t=3870s

Ok,just watched some back again.

Very weird,one race had no crowd yet another race did....***.

• Like 1

Im sick of this FACTS argument, until u have the game ITS ALL SPECULATION, what about that u dont understand ? So many variations as Kyussman just stated to these videos. What is fact is everything we've seen so far is pre release build, not final as stated in videos.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Just now, Madmaz116 said:

I dont get this , really i dont , surely as gamers its the gameplay that counts?

I agree, but visuals and performance also create levels of immersion and as any self respecting gamer will testify, irrespective of how good the gameplay there's nothing worse than playing a racing game with badly rendered or poor quality visuals and/or choppy framerates. Visuals have to be at the very least fit for purpose. *This is just a general statement and not necessarily representative of the overall quality of Grid 2019*.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I agree somewhat with the choppy frame rate part , but you need visuals for immersion ?  come on .. you must have played the first Geoff Crammond GP , by Microprose (if your as old as me) the visuals were **** to say the least ,(and it wasnt the smoothest game in the world) but it was an awesome game, I couldnt stop playing it, the gameplay made it immersive. From what ive seen of Grid gameplay  the visuals are more than adequate.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I did indeed but the key word you mention is "was".. Even though Geoff Crammond GP still retains the same high levels of gameplay today would you ever go back and play it as your primary F1 game? No you wouldn't because even though (example) F1 2019 may contain lesser levels of immersive gameplay it's visuals push it to greater levels of realism, thus making it a better all round game. I know that's to the extremes of examples but that's generally how things work. Once the right formula has been achieved then quality of gameplay will remain static whereas we move along with visuals to (supposedly) better enhance the levels of realism in our games. If that wasn't the case then we'd all still be happy playing those super immersive games from the 8 and 16 bit eras. 

Edited by _BorisTheFrog_
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

The reason for the thread as I understand is not about gameplay but to point out graphical errors/bugs that are worse/same as Autosport/Grid2 5 years ago and not on par with recent releases which were more than adequate. I do have to agree better graphics do give much better immersion for me (along with good gameplay) makes a big difference. 

Edit: All shots so far are pre release or final builds posted on you tube. Once the game releases then I think more accurate detailed captures can be taken to back up the videos. 

Edited by torque99uk
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Madmaz116 said:

you must have played the first Geoff Crammond GP , by Microprose (if your as old as me) the visuals were **** to say the least ,(and it wasnt the smoothest game in the world) but it was an awesome game

Do you know such word as "nuance"?

Of course in general graphics is not the main feature that makes a game great. But. There are some nuances!

1. There were GRID2 and Autosport 6(!) years ago. Games from the same company. And GRID 2019 demonstrates minor improvements since that time. You can see even downgrade in some moments.  That's why simple logic question arises: why customer should pay for the NEW game, which looks like OLD one? I played Autosport 5 years, I want SMTH NEW with NEW VISUALS INCLUDED! Instead they propose me downgraded Autosport with cockpit. But I still can play original Autosport. There is no need to pay extra money for that!

2. The second nuance. You appeal for the old game you still play and get fun. Yes, I also like old games. But there is such nuance as compliance between graphics and release date. Geoff Crammond GP had graphics appropriate to the date of its release. While GRID has 6-years outdated graphics at the moment. This is like Geoff Crammond GP was a text quest at the realease date.

The world is not black and white. Sometimes good attentions lead to collapse and evil methods lead to prosperity. So in any question you have to count all complexity of aspects. Yes, graphics is not a big deal. BUT! There are some nuances! :classic_laugh: And they change everything.

Edited by lastbreath
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BRICKS44 said:

Lol at these long winded post over a video game.  

It passes time away until the 11th October.....the date we can all finally play Active Soccer 2019 on consoles :classic_tongue:

8 minutes ago, Gears4Brains said:

Did he really just say that ?

Modern medicine took a lot from soulless nazi's experiments, as example.

4 hours ago, Gears4Brains said:

Stop being so disrespectful and combative, people have the right to feel how they want just as you do. All of that typing could have been sum up by saying "I disagree and heres why" u are just a mean little person. Mad at everyone not agreeing with u.

I'm not neglecting the right of anybody to "feel" as they like, but the statements based on the presented samples and evidence in this "graphics discussion" thread.

Who appointed you judge of the thread?  really, this guy...   🤦‍♂️

This is your first iteration in these whole forums, this very same thread:

Saying utterly ridiculous and childish stuff like "You say u care but in reality u dont cause caring requires faith, and some of u clearly have no faith". which is a direct judgemental jab at people that has nothing to do with the images, videos and elements analysis that led others to state the game looks MEDIOCRE and OUTDATED, which is what most people outside this fanboys filled forum are saying.

Trying to undermine the value of a dedicated "graphics discussion" thread and others opinions in it: "3rd, netcode, lag, glitches, crashes, racenet, wheel compatibility, controller adjustments, cheat prevention, leaderboard issues are FAR more IMPORTANT then some stupid reflections and trees

And finishing with a flat out wrong statement wrapped up in a smarta$$ tone like "FYI, reflections and trees are an easy fix which they are probably saving til last. Fix the hard problems now, save the easy stuff for last." which is good proof you really have no idea about any of the tech stuff or what efforts involve changing elements and aspects of the game like a totally different reflections system this late in development in a multiplatform game. 🤦‍♂️

So, to sum it up: You made an account  this monday, went straight to this thread to disregard it and state your despise for others opinions and the examples they presented, and directly judging the people that were participating in it (instead of the examples they presented). 

And now you pretend to put yourself on a moral pedestal like you are a paragon of politeness and in some sort of ethical high ground to pass sentences around about others behavior in this thread...  👀
GTFO already...  

3 hours ago, Gears4Brains said:

Im sick of this FACTS argument, until u have the game ITS ALL SPECULATION, what about that u dont understand ? So many variations as Kyussman just stated to these videos. What is fact is everything we've seen so far is pre release build, not final as stated in videos.

AGAIN:

On 10/3/2019 at 4:38 PM, jesped said:

I don't know if you can understand spanish, but in this video from VANDAL they clearly state "we already have been able to test it in its FINAL version": 

FINAL:
image.thumb.png.ffdab9b854791d317dd24b1e94aeb846.png

Youtubers and gaming channels are playing the FULL game with REVIEW codes, 1 WEEK ahead of launch.

Big gaming site. Stating their video and test is done from "the FINAL version of the game". Literally. Showing the exact same look and problems as all the other recent videos from independent youtubers with REVIEW codes.
But I guess you know better from your little fanboy bubble of faith...

Still unanswered...  It's being stated MANY TIMES, but nobody else answered this: how much Dirt 4 or Dirt Rally 2 changed from the videos showed 1 month before release to release date?
ZERO. NOTHING. NADA. 🤷‍♂️

Even no Day 1 patch announced...

Yet some of you are still expecting this multiplatform game will magically have all these problems fixed at launch, with not a single specific word from the devs about them, beyond "these reports are useful".

Edited by jesped

7 hours ago, jesped said:

Oh yeah, it's not that it's bad, it's just "artistic". 😂

Image result for horrible jesus restoration

You're joking, right? 😂

What "new standards" are you referring to? the "new" standard of going back to cubemap sh|tty reflections from a different universe when 5, 10 and even 18 years old games were doing real reflections? the new standard of LOD switcheroo with an ugly transparency pattern in your face? the standard of having cartoony trees that look worse than your own company's past titles? the standard of not adapting the visibility in dark areas and leave you totally blind in darkness? the standard of seeing textures still loading their full resolution when the race is already being presented? 🤷‍♂️

I'm sorry, not trying to offend, but stating this game is going to "set new standards" is completely laughable, and shows a total out of touch with the reality of videogames graphics technologies in 2019.

I did say I am not impressed with the result at Okutama, but yes, this is what I think they tried to achieve. I am waiting for the release to check it also in various time of day conditions, maybe it looks better in some than others.

And no I am not joking, I think the gfx in this game is fantastic. At least judging from the latest videos, I do not have the game myself yet to make an "absolute sure" statement, but the videos do look impressive (except for 2 or 3 tracks) which look just ok. Guess we will find out for sure in 5 days.

I am sorry you find my opinion laughable, I find yours wrong but not laughable, I think you did have merit with some of your remarks a month ago. But I think that now you are just losing a "battle" and trying to desperately stay in it, at any cost and with any means. Shouting louder does not make you more right than anybody else. Many of the "problems" you listed above are no problems anymore, they have been fixed in what we see in the latest videos. Others will be so much impossible to notice while driving, that are of no importance at all in my opinion. Yes, _for racing games_, I believe people will be comparing other games to Grid 2019 for the next couple years. Provided that what we see in the latest videos is indeed representative of the real game quality,

36 minutes ago, cpcdem said:

Shouting louder does not make you more right than anybody else.

No, the examples provided and the fact that nothing remarkable changed at launch with any other Codemasters previous titles do.

36 minutes ago, cpcdem said:

Many of the "problems" you listed above are no problems anymore, they have been fixed in what we see in the latest videos. 

🤦‍♂️ man, this is some strong wishful thinking here...     just post testable evidence that any of the problems listed "have been fixed". I seriously would love to agree with you.
Here's a recent list of some for your reference:

- Cartoony flat trees at Okutama. (and other tracks too, but more noticeable here, specially at sunny day and sunset)
- Deformed textures mapping.
- Wrong reflections. ("bad" may be an opinion, "wrong" is not, it's a fact)
- Lack of essential options in the Advanced menu like Trees, GI or Motion Blur.
- Cartoony flat lighting at sunny day and sunset.
- Low res trees and cartoony look at Sydney.
- Bad IQ with visible transparency pattern in LOD switching.
- Very noticeable LOD switching and unrealistic, low quality trees at Brands Hatch. (and other tracks too, but more noticeable here)
- Very noticeable shadows pop-in just a few meters from your car.
- Tail lights that look like an explosion and wrongly invade and lit the interior of your car that should be occluded to the light by the exterior.
- High resolution textures still loading in place when the race is already starting.
- Totally dark areas due to the lack of proper Eye Adaptation/Automatic Exposure.
- Aliasing problems due to a bad TAA implementation.
- Cars lights not casting any shadows.

The ONLY fixed stuff I've seen so far is some excessive contrast in some tracks. That's all.

Edited by jesped