Motorsport Games, Codemasters and FIA World Rallycross Championship presented by Monster Energy partner to create the World RX Esports Invitational Read more... ×

GRID Graphics Discussion

18 minutes ago, jesped said:

- Cartoony flat trees at Okutama. (and other tracks too, but more noticeable here)
- Deformed textures mapping.
- Wrong reflections. ("bad" may be an opinion, "wrong" is not, it's a fact)
- Lack of essential options in the Advanced menu like Trees, GI or Motion Blur.
- Cartoony flat lighting at sunny day and sunset.
- Aliasing problems due to a bad TAA implementation.
- Low res trees and cartoony look at Sydney.
- Bad IQ with visible transparency pattern in LOD switching.
- Very noticeable LOD switching and unrealistic, low quality trees at Brands Hatch. (and other tracks too, but more noticeable here)
- Very noticeable shadows pop-in just a few meters from your car.
- Tail lights that look like an explosion and wrongly invade and lit the interior of your car that should be occluded to the light by the exterior.
- High resolution textures still loading in place when the race is already starting.
- Totally dark areas due to the lack of proper Eye Adaptation/Automatic Exposure.

The ONLY fixed stuff I've seen so far is some excessive contrast in some tracks. That's all.

From the above, only thing that looks like a small problem to me is the tail lights and the cartoony trees at Okutama, those at Sydney are just a background, impossible to notice while racing. And yes, even in Okutama they have been improved from previous videos, now there's no _noticeable_ LOD switch in them anymore. About the rest, I cannot see any of those during gameplay and the fact that you can notice them in still frames I think is totally unimportant. Maybe some wrong reflections in the wet at night are sometimes noticeable, but only barely.

19 minutes ago, SourceCodeError said:

In the last video above, I'm surprised no one mentioned the bystander with his t-shirt on backwards. 

Finally!!! Somebody talking about the real issues here. Codies how can you explain this? I didn’t even see such issues in fifa 2003 and that was a 16 years ago!!

https://amp.thenational.ae/image/policy:1.760278:1534334224/sp16-footy-al-ain.jpg?f=16x9&w=1200&$p$f$w=a1d43ce

😂 Look how the crowd has their shirts on the right way around!! Even in their own older games we didn’t have such an issue. This is honestly a pathetic attempt at a game IMO and should be pulled from the shelves SMH! 

• Haha 4

50 minutes ago, cpcdem said:

those at Sydney are just a background, impossible to notice while racing. 

Sure, they are "impossible to notice", right? 🤷‍♂️
image.pngimage.png

And yes, even in Okutama they have been improved from previous videos, now there's no _noticeable_ LOD switch in them anymore. 

Then post the link to the evidence to make this statement. Best you can do would be showing a rainy conditions gameplay with dark lighting and all screen full of raindrops that makes YT compression much stronger and disguise it a bit better, but it's all the same. The big problem with Okutama is how bad it looks in sunny day and sunset conditions, with that flat lighting and cartoony mountains and trees, even at PC ULTRA:
image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Even in rain it still looks as bad as this (captured from Shirrako's 4K60 video):
image.png

LOD switch is more noticeable at Brands Hatch, can you post any improvement to this?
image.png
image.png.0dc7b26ba7a0b0de0646d0e492f89a61.png

Any improvement to this low quality trees at other conditions different than rain (which is just less noticeable)?
fghed.png

I guess this "lettuce" trees are invisible too:
image.png

About the rest, I cannot see any of those during gameplay and the fact that you can notice them in still frames I think is totally unimportant. Maybe some wrong reflections in the wet at night are sometimes noticeable, but only barely.

You said it, you cannot see them. But the fact is that they are there. What you are saying is subjective, it only counts for you, as your opinion. 

I don't "notice them in still frames", I notice them watching the gameplay videos, I just pause the video I'm watching when something wrong jumps at my eyes, make a capture to post it as evidence here to prove my points, and only then, state my opinions.

It's not "maybe some wrong reflections"...    it's literally ALL but the cars reflections that are wrong, everywhere, constantly, and unlike the vast majority of other games in the past 5-10 years, which feature proper realistic reflections.

But ok, you stated your opinions. I posted my examples, presented the evidence that lead to conclusions and stated my opinions based on those.

The only evidence presented opposing all this:

- Cartoony flat trees at Okutama. (and other tracks too, but more noticeable here)
- Deformed textures mapping.
- Wrong reflections. ("bad" may be an opinion, "wrong" is not, it's a fact)
- Lack of essential options in the Advanced menu like Trees, GI or Motion Blur.
- Cartoony flat lighting at sunny day and sunset.
- Aliasing problems due to a bad TAA implementation.
- Low res trees and cartoony look at Sydney.
- Bad IQ with visible transparency pattern in LOD switching.
- Very noticeable LOD switching and unrealistic, low quality trees at Brands Hatch. (and other tracks too, but more noticeable here)
- Very noticeable shadows pop-in just a few meters from your car.
- Tail lights that look like an explosion and wrongly invade and lit the interior of your car that should be occluded to the light by the exterior.
- High resolution textures still loading in place when the race is already starting.
- Totally dark areas due to the lack of proper Eye Adaptation/Automatic Exposure.

is still just totally subjective opinions like "I don't notice them", "I don't care", ... 🤷‍♂️ well, they are there, and they are very noticeable to anybody that has any interest in good visuals in games in 2019. But I guess everything is alright for some. 😂

SOGsswl.gif

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Bluestig said:

Finally!!! Somebody talking about the real issues here. Codies how can you explain this? I didn’t even see such issues in fifa 2003 and that was a 16 years ago!!

https://amp.thenational.ae/image/policy:1.760278:1534334224/sp16-footy-al-ain.jpg?f=16x9&w=1200&$p$f$w=a1d43ce

😂 Look how the crowd has their shirts on the right way around!! Even in their own older games we didn’t have such an issue. This is honestly a pathetic attempt at a game IMO and should be pulled from the shelves SMH! 

🤣 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

1tqmvo.jpg

Edited by jesped
  • Disagree 1

Here comes @jesped with his photo album again. Just joking mate don’t take it to heart. I admire your dedication lmao. 

Edited by Bluestig
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Bluestig said:

Here comes @jesped with his photo album again. Just joking mate don’t take it to heart. I admire your dedication lmao. 

Certainly, it's not going to be for the lack of examples to disprove those "it's just some minor things" "game looks amazing" "it's impossible to notice" "I don't see anything wrong" claims.
As nothing has really been disproved, it's just copypaste at this point. 😉

Edited by jesped

1 hour ago, cpcdem said:

you are just losing a "battle" and trying to desperately stay in it, at any cost and with any means

Dude, if I'm wrong - I will be very happy, because we will get MODERN game as a result. This is not a battle between me and you. This is a fight for the best finish result!

1 hour ago, SourceCodeError said:

In the last video above, I'm surprised no one mentioned the bystander with his t-shirt on backwards

WHERE? WHERE? :classic_biggrin:

Now, anybody tell me, in this video from yesterday:

can you see this building, just a few meters in front of your car, shifting from clearly lit:
image.thumb.png.1f94af2a213f7aae52969d54abcf8062.png

to fully shadowed? 
image.thumb.png.3834cb632947bee309c135b684c18a07.png

Is it "noticeable" enough or it's not either? 🤷‍♂️

When in motion during the gameplay is much more visible, just check the video at posted time. It's not the only case, I've seen this shadows problem in plenty of other gameplay videos and it has already been reported here several times already.

Is this "alright" in your "good visuals for 2019" book? 🤔

Edited by jesped

7 minutes ago, jesped said:

Is it "noticeable" enough or it's not either? 🤷‍♂️

If you have to point it out with "RED ARROWS" it obviously isn't noticeable enough... I feel like I'm looking at a "Where's Waldo" photo.

Edited by SourceCodeError
  • Disagree 1

Can you see ALL the trees switching from flat and unshadowed to properly shadowed just as they pass the border of the screeen?image.png.c9e5a7feb67d8dff2a579f6aace9efe1.png

Could we stop arguing again about how noticeable these things are? Let people just give their feedback.

Even though I wont notice most of the problems while driving, I still rather want the issues to be noticed, than this pointless argument. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SourceCodeError said:

If you have to point it out with "RED ARROWS" it obviously isn't noticeable enough... I feel like I'm looking at a "Where's Waldo" photo.

That's being just pure hypocritical, mate. It's clear as fuqing day in the gameplay video. But maybe it's all fine an alright too that shadows appear 3 meters from your car out of nothing in a 2019 game. 🤦‍♂️

image.png.1859bff3774a8e9fd3d39401a0706cfe.png

GRID_Shadows.gif.1ba2a2eee5d31ee6e9e573bfe6482c54.gif

Setting new standards for 2019 and beyond...

Edited by jesped

7 minutes ago, SourceCodeError said:

OMG! I see it now!  I see the light!  I guess that explains why that bystander is flipping everyone off...

thumb_this-strawman-argument-is-searchin

😂 I'm sure funny fallacies are the same as convincing arguments. 😉

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

Edited by jesped

4 minutes ago, jesped said:

😂 I'm sure funny fallacies are the same as convincing arguments. 😉

I'm simply saying, that if not for you pointing it out, I may never have noticed it.  

1 minute ago, SourceCodeError said:

I'm simply saying, that if not for you pointing it out, I may never have noticed it.  

Yeah, I'm sure this is some extreme nitpicking that is really unnoticeable and alright for a 2019 game.

GRID_Shadows.gif

The thing is, as GRID doesn't have day to night cycles, dynamic lighting or dynamic weather, all this lighting and shadows could be just baked, just like GT Sport does.

With proper baked lighting and GI, it could look as good as this:

Edited by jesped

4 minutes ago, jesped said:

Yeah, I'm sure this is some extreme nitpicking that is really unnoticeable and alright for a 2019 game.

If you believe it is so noticeable, why are you pointing it out with arrows and animations?  Why not just post the video and let everyone judge for themselves?

3 minutes ago, SourceCodeError said:

If you believe it is so noticeable, why are you pointing it out with arrows and animations?  Why not just post the video and let everyone judge for themselves?

So your best argument is "you are overexplaining the problems"...    video is the first thing I posted, images are there for further explanation. The gif was captured from the video to debunk your "it's a where's Waldo unnoticeable issue" argument. 🤷‍♂️

^^^ Lighting looks better, less saturated. Cockpit is touch lighter even in dark shadows and the screen reflections are now more realistic on the glass. Still some odd compression things going on with my internet connection I think as some scenery looks blurred on one lap and the next sharp!

15 minutes ago, SourceCodeError said:

Because opponents used to be blind toward graphic issues

• Agree 1