GRID Graphics Discussion

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

ddgfh.png.1a71b5de6500f9e0a3e69a35b8e44853.png

Nice skies

Shirrako's 4K60 videos are the best ones to date. But I don't see any improvements with the reflections and the same shadows problems are still there, just less noticeable in this track and route.

Game still has too much color saturation, and the main problem here is that it lacks proper Auto Exposure and Tonemapping:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tone_mapping
https://bartwronski.com/2016/08/29/localized-tonemapping/

eg_t2.jpgimage.thumb.png.28ed2c843d27ace6feb6fb103d9a9973.pngimage.thumb.png.47813ae21a01aed2675c3fa2140d4dc7.png

Which it seems affects the whole game. There should be some kind of tonemapping for non-HDR displays, otherwise there's always going to be this blunt contrast with burnt out skies and almost pitch black areas.

And, funny enough, is another issue that non-HDR titles from the past like previous GRIDs didn't suffer from:
image.thumb.png.410cf8ee542179eef4fae963977e2853.png

Edited by jesped

Despite people's personal opinions on lighting, reflecting etc, cant we all agree GRID does not look outdated or horrible ? We seem to keep skipping over this and focusing on insignificant things that can and probably will be addressed later. To look at the latest videos and honestly say that game doesnt look good is denial at this point. 

5 minutes ago, Gears4Brains said:

cant we all agree GRID does not look outdated or horrible ?

What I can say...

dcc6Gsm.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Disagree 1

Posted (edited)

image.png.25d7809ec87de48ebeafe88824334291.png

For any non fanboys it looks really what it is...
dLUEc2d.gif?noredirect

and OUTDATED. And with many problems and bugs that have been reported here and some expect will be magically fixed.

There's not a single element or aspect in it that is new or outstanding, comparing to other games from the las 4-5 years and even more. On the contrary, there are many elements and technical aspects that are proven to be outdated. Obsolete.

Driveclub was outstanding.
Forza Horizon 3 and 4 are outstanding.
GT Sport, Forza 6 and 7, even Project Cars or Assetto Corsa on PC, those are visually outstanding. 

Edited by jesped

Well good luck playing games that meets ur outstanding standards, meanwhile rest of us going to enjoy it.

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Gears4Brains said:

Well good luck playing games that meets ur outstanding standards, meanwhile rest of us going to enjoy it.

Good luck indeed, because GRID certainly isn't raising the bar visually compared to any of them. 🤷‍♂️

Well, unless you want to count little known titles, I just listed most of racing games available today and since many years ago. 😂

F1 annual games are outstanding too. But it's just F1 and I don't like F1.

Edited by jesped

Posted (edited)

These are the majority of opinions I'm reading about GRID in other forums:

image.png.4a1dba90ea10902eb77edb5ddb37f6b2.pngimage.png.cfd0071ab54b11c2a5d9b2cb0767c0cf.pngimage.png.c9858f491b3b922902b7f01b089d1cf7.pngimage.png.72224d9466f6471ffb12955983bbf640.pngimage.png.6484c2605eadb7ce958c6cddb1eb6813.pngimage.png.65119433927a1eca1d28ef9ba2e2ba75.pngimage.png.1c70b22d36c425694e2a03e70c631a7d.pngimage.png.d99e5751600d8bfa00359d1a2cdd6c09.pngimage.thumb.png.277ae905502f20f961647fe0d01dfb58.pngimage.thumb.png.155c82eadd54de7dc00376cb2b31fec0.png
image.thumb.png.f4f3babafec769f05b8293fa35e6e7b6.pngimage.png.31080fbfbf8b00bf8acb36f6f1a82a56.pngimage.thumb.png.9f761c3ea30b036570078d930bff19aa.png
image.png.1a21426889f8ac96ee511b15dd77bad6.pngimage.png.782247b31bfd652f46c65977b69c1d82.pngimage.png.78cdcbe921877f25feef423d4b8424c7.png

So yeah, there is a lot of people that care about games being visually immersive and with up-to-date standards, not just a handful of guys in the official forum among groups of submissive fanboys ready to make preorders based on blind illusion and faith.

Edited by jesped

It's strange but those cool finish fireworks were only in one Shirrako video. In all other videos of all youtubers - there is only smoke...

4 hours ago, jesped said:

Yeah, I'm sure this is some extreme nitpicking that is really unnoticeable and alright for a 2019 game.

GRID_Shadows.gif

Good, this is indeed bad and I hope the devs will notice it here, among all the messages and fix it. Does not need to be on release, but in a later patch it would be nice.

I am sure there are some more cases as well (not talking about those practically noticeable in still frames only), I hope all of them will be taken care of. But the fact that there are some bad moments (as in every single game) does not change the fact (in my opinion) that the game looks gorgeous in general.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cpcdem said:

Good, this is indeed bad and I hope the devs will notice it here, among all the messages and fix it. Does not need to be on release, but in a later patch it would be nice.

yeah waiting for Santa… 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

GT Sport (PS4) just looks so much more realistic than GRID (PC)...  

Edited by jesped

Posted (edited)

And if we're completely honest, gameplay matters more than graphics.

Also at certain points the trees in GT kinda look like the ones in grid

Edited by Sir.Smoke

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Sir.Smoke said:

And if we're completely honest, gameplay matters more than graphics.

Again, this is a thread for "graphics discussion". 🤷‍♂️
The constant attempts of scorn the importance of visuals in videogames are futile:

https://www.cinemablend.com/games/75-Gamers-Say-Graphics-Do-Matter-Purchasing-Game-64659.html
image.png.f7594df313d6ab212862a8ece0881fcb.png 

image.png.98113d56adcc09f70d716accb4361cdd.png

https://medium.com/the-cube/pretty-pixel-the-importance-of-visuals-in-game-design-5f3ae148a41e

https://kotaku.com/yes-technical-details-are-important-in-video-games-1507704558
image.thumb.png.0a15be76d5caa42aa76f99091a99140a.png

A thread for "gameplay discussion" would be a whole lot of different comparisions between different games, and it could well be dozens of pages long too.

Edited by jesped

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Sir.Smoke said:

I get what you are saying but "kinda" is vague and I disagree. They can look a bit flat lit when the sun is shining from full front, which is the lighting worst case scenario, but they don't do any LOD switcheroo in your face, they are detailed and never look like this:

fghed.pngimage.png

And what about the amazingly realistic lighting in GT Sport vs the "videogamey" lighting in GRID? 🤷‍♂️
Nothing to comment about that?  what about that incredible sky and outstanding dynamic exposure?

A lot of the time GT Sport looks like reality. GRID just looks a generation inferior.

Edited by jesped

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, cpcdem said:

Does not need to be on release, but in a later patch it would be nice.

You've GOT to be joking right????

Releasing the game in this state is beyond belief! IF it were an indie game MAYBE but I don't play indies games I play Triple A titles on PC and tend to move on when something better appears.  @jesped has repeatedly provided evidence which NO-ONE has SHOWN a counter to. 

That last Bercelona vid? watch it again... watch for the stuttering as the trees LOD updates just before they go out of shot.

I've bought the game so I can see on MY system if these MAJOR game breaking issues have been fixed on day 1. If not then the game IS NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE, certainly not in 2019 when in 2016 Forza Apex looked like this, an in game snapshot that looks 2-3 orders of magnitude better than the cardboard cutout trees routinely seen in Grid 2019. FYI Apex was a port of FM6 with a few tweaks to allow it to run on PC!

Forza Apex pic.PNG

IF Grid DOESN'T come up to the same standard on PC at ulra/extreme settings I'll be getting a refund. 

Grid 2019 is likely gonna die a rather ignomonius death and player numbers will tank within 3-4 months whilst those 60% who feel GFX enhances gameplay will head back to FM7, FH3, Assetto Corsa Competizione, PCars 2, and wait for their next iterations due after the next consoles arrive about a year from now....

Codies dropped from "Must have" to "Not on your life" because they've dropped the ball repeatedly... Only the name Grid has brought me back to these forums since I quit GAS.. I'm hopeful but believe my hopes are about to be dashed if the majority of gamers think whats been seen and pointed out as major issues is acceptable to the masses then I dispair for gaming in the future.....

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, [SRS13]Rastus said:

2016 Forza Apex looked like this, an in game snapshot that looks 2-3 orders of magnitude better than tha cardboard cutout trees routinely seen in Grid 2019. FYI Apex was a port of FM6 with a few tweaks to allow it to run on PC!

BTW, one of the things that impressed me the most back when I tried Forza 6 was the water puddles. Not just that they looked so realistic, but the FFB effect when you ran over them. First time I race Brands Hatch and hit a puddle I remember thinking to myself: "Damn! this is some next level sh|t right here!" :classic_laugh:

Still amazed by, after so much time, nobody put something like that in any other game.

Edited by jesped

8 minutes ago, [SRS13]Rastus said:

You've GOT to be joking right????

No, I am not joking at all, from what I see the game looks fantastic in most cases, it just has a few gfx problems that every game has. Especially while still at pre-release... It's fine to have different opinions and in 5 days we will all make sure for ourselves if it is good or not, but it is not fine to tell people that they are joking just because they have a different opinion than yours.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, cpcdem said:

No, I am not joking at all, from what I see the game looks fantastic in most cases, it just has a few gfx problems that every game has. Especially while still at pre-release... It's fine to have different opinions and in 5 days we will all make sure for ourselves if it is good or not, but it is not fine to tell people that they are joking just because they have a different opinion than yours.

This is the problem with summing up all in just personal opinions like "fantastic", "amazing" or "gorgeous". They can't be quantified, measured, tested, ...    they are just totally subjective statements. I could say Superman 64 graphics were "amazing" then. 😂

That's why it is needed to go into full details and specifics. All sorts of details and aspects that can be compared and measured against other similar titles. This is exactly what some of us have been doing here, yet we encounter again and again the same empty "arguments" as "to me, it looks fantastic" "it looks amazing"...    with nothing behind to back those claims. 🤷‍♂️

This isn't abstract or modern art. It's not a matter of "my truth" and "your truth".

Really, going into specifics. Measuring videogame technologies, groundbreaking features, 3D models, textures, art direction...   what exactly is amazing and fantastic in GRID? 🤷‍♂️

Edited by jesped

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, jesped said:

BTW, one of the things that impressed me the most back when I tried Forza 6 was the water puddles. Not just that they looked so realistic, but the FFB effect when you ran over them. First time I race Brands Hatch and hit a puddle I remember thinking to myself: "Damn! this is some next level sh|t right here!" :classic_laugh:

Couldn't agree more the GFX and water effects aquaplaning and gameplay in general put a smile on my face thats been missing in Codies titles for years, their response to cheats and hackers has been PHENOMINAL!

What do I expect from Codies??? More of the same old same old, rushed, unfinished, poorly implemented, broken games which they'll dump all support for shortly after launch.... Just like GAS and it's promised fix for the upgrades, no action taken against blatant cheating, no action taken against targetted attacks by hackers and cheaters on other players because they're top of the racenet tables perfectly legitimately, no policing of the time trial lists WHATSOEVER, Finally adopting DX12 6 YEARS after it 1st appeared, with DXR due next year things will step up again. Will Codies? Or will they keep putting out DX12 based games for the next 6 years whilst other publishing houses will have adopted DXR and hardware based Raytracing. 

22 minutes ago, cpcdem said:

"in most cases" NOT all cases???

I have to assume from this you're on a console then, if ALL these CLEARLY visible, MAJOR graphics defects are acceptable to you. The most powerful console out now has the power of a 6 year old top of the range graphics card (My old R9 290X can hit these figures but STILL can provide better fidelity and a higher frame rate). 6TFlops on the XBox 1X My Vega 64 can put out 13.7 TFlops. My Navi 5700XT can put out 10.7 TFlops but hardware changes mean it can output more frames per second than the Vega 64 (vega topped out at 125 fps in FM7 3840  x 1080, the 5700XT puts out upto 160).

THIS is the only reason I can possibly find where this game can possibly be acceptable to you, from what I see and past history this is another cash grab by Codies just before the hardware available in consoles FINALLY catches up with desktop hardware instead of being 5 years or more behind the curve...

This time next year this game will look like a horrifically bad joke compared to FM8.....

Here's to waiting.

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sir.Smoke said:

At certain points not all the frigging time! the trees waaaay off in the distance look better than the trees in Grid RIGHT NEXT TO THE TRACK for gods sake....

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, [SRS13]Rastus said:

At certain points not all the frigging time! the trees waaaay off in the distance look better than the trees in Grid RIGHT NEXT TO THE TRACK for gods sake....

guess people will avoid that time of day on brands hatch then

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Sir.Smoke said:

guess people will avoid that time of day on brands hatch then

My guess is there'll be a raft of refunds rather than avoiding a specific time of day so the graphics don't stick out like a sore thumb.....

I'll be one of them, on the other hand IF there's a massive improvement as I said elsewhere above I'll be back here munching on a big slice of humble pie and asking why the HELL codies released vids of the game in such a p**s poor state trying to promote the game as a big step forwards... Despite less content, despite common series features removal...

T10 and PGG only made Apex as a test bed to ensure their tech worked on PC and was able to do so, Codies appear to be resting on their laurels (the BAFTA From 2009) grabbing cash desperately before the next generation of consoles, I'm betting work wasn't started until the time T10/PGG/MS said there was going to be no Forza this year.

Like I said rushed out in a deperate cash grab from the wallets of the ignorant......

I don't blame the devs for this at all, I blame their bosses and the directors who make these decisions with little to no understanding of the effort actually required and forcing unrealistic deadlines......

Another month or 2 DEVOTED to the devs would make a HUGE difference. We'll see if the 1 month delay was worth it next week....

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jesped said:

GT Sport (PS4) just looks so much more realistic than GRID (PC)...  

GT sport look very empty and boring when you compare it to grid rich environment!..more vibrant..GT sport trees for example all look the same with that clear green witch make them look very unrealistic at time almost cartoonish if you want to know the truth

Edited by RedHrm

1 minute ago, RedHrm said:

GT sport look very empty and boring when you compare it to grid rich environment!..more vibrant..GT sport trees for example all look the same with that clear green witch make them look very unrealistic at time almost cartoonish 

Maybe the are generic and repeated over and over but, at least they don't look like cardboard cutouts and suddenly have leaves pop into existance right before they dissapear from the edge of the screen!