GRID Graphics Discussion

5 hours ago, [SRS13]Rastus said:

To quanitfy the power levels of the consoles the Xbox 1 X take a look at these

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/11407287/fs/19011362

On the left is my old AMD 9590 with the R9 290X (comparable to the Xbox 1 X's power. On the right my 2700X and Vega 64. With a 98-151% performance increase accross the various tests.

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/11407287/fs/20589586

Again on the left is my 9590 and R9290X. on the right this time it's my 2700X and 5700XT (similar power is touted in the next consoles). This time there's between 123-207% increase...

What's worse is when you get into the actual performance of the consoles have a watch through this.

Nearly every title shown isn't even using the full power available to the console, instead of maxing out the graphics they're under-utilising the hardware, dumbing down the gfx to hit the magical 60 fps using tricks like upscaling (1440p upscaled to 4K for the Xbox 1X or worse 900p upscaled to 1080p on the Xbox 1), checkerboard rendering and dynamically adjusting the GFX settings to compensate when things get too much all for a rock solid 60 fps on the XBox 1X and 30 fps on the Xbox 1. Don't you think thats a bit sad? I do...

For YEARS the PC fraternity has had to put up with games designed to work on the WORST of the consoles, Look better on the best of them, whilst on PC we get better post processing, Anti Ailaising native resolutions but not the huge leap there SHOULD be in graphical fidelity. Yes we get massively superior fps, rates smoother gameplay etc but many of us would gladly sacrifice a bucketful of the fps rate for hyper-realistic fidelity...

Roll on the next generation consoles then diehard console fans (not dissing you guys in ANY way) will have a better idea on what they've missed out on for well over 10 years.... TRUE native 1080p, 1440p and 4K resolutions, uncapped framerates, no compromises forced upon you... Great times ahead!

The problem with X1X is the XB1, developers having to make a single game to work adequately on two generations of console and Microsoft insisting on framerate parity (for multiplayer purposes) across both consoles - the result being a hopelessly under utilised console. In a lot of ways X1X was a poor idea - a stop gap between generations if you like - and now that the next gen console has been announced owners will never see it's full potential and it will be forever known as a supercar that drove around obeying the speed limits.  

I don't regret my purchase but (as maybe is the case with Grid 2019) I do regret still having to play games that have been developed for a previous gen console that has more users and will therefore generate a higher revenue. 

"Nearly every title shown isn't even using the full power available to the console, instead of maxing out the graphics they're under-utilising the hardware"

Because you need a lot power for the streaming tools the concoles have.

5 hours ago, torque99uk said:

I downloaded Forza Apex PC recently (Having not tried it due to having FM6 on Xbox One) and if I am honest the level of detail I was impressed with, I actually found it much better than the newer FM7 on PC. The trees and water splashes were great some of the best I have seen. Now I understand Grid will not be on this level. 

I still feel some of the GRID close up blurred (cartoony) shots are due to the you tube videos not being in focus but I want to see it on my PC first.

So you can at least see the MASSIVE differences between console and PC Apex was massively upgraded for PC, FM7 was built for the consoles and adapted for the PC. At least you took the effort to investigate the claims of us "moaners" and "haters" examined the differences and had the coirage to come back and say so, 👍

Dirt Rally was never intended for the consoles instead it was built for the PC from day 1, then ported to the consoles when console owners cicked up stink in these very forums. Dirt Rally 2 on the other hand was built for the consoles and it shows in the same way as comparing FM6 to FM Apex... It's what I meant when I was tallng about games being made for the lowest common denominator. It's not meant as a slight on devs but an observation..

It's why we PC owners get so riled and upset when we saw such an apparently (To PC owners at least) massive steps backwards comparing Dirt Rally to Dirt Rally 2. 

5 hours ago, cpcdem said:

Of course what I said is completely subjective. And it is based on released videos, not on personal experience with the game, so I am basing my opinion only on that. And yes, watching those videos, I like a lot what I am seeing, for the most part the game does look visually fantastic to me (with a few exceptions). And I would be very surprised if there are many people who watch the latest videos at least and they are not impressed by them. Again, my opinion of course...

Exactly it's subjective and as a hobbyist content creator (I have no intention of taking it further than a hobby as it then becomes a demanding and full-time job). I agree and have said myself that YT doesn't do games any favours because it demands a maximum bitrate of 12Mb/s anything higher gets so badly nerfed it makes a mockery of the hard work of the devs. I record my vids at 60Mb/s, which looks almost identical to what I see as I'm playing, compressing that by a factor of 5 completely ruins the effect. I mentioned this myself elsewhere in this thread.

I agree there is massive improvements in certain areas, car models, crowd models, the rain in general looks good until you see it following square shaped patterns up the windscreen. The point is that these improvements coupled with inequality of the background, such close LOD and shadow pop in only highlights these deficiencies, ripping away the sense of immersion.  

2 hours ago, Sir.Smoke said:

I'm starting to think all the fellas here complaining won't be missed at all when people are having fun with friends racing against eachother

I'll be there on day 1 as will at least 1 other person I know who's posted about the issues We're complaining about, the guy I sent a PC to so he could play Autosport when his one died, I just sent him another upgrade just recently (Ryzen 1600X, Asus X370 STRIX Mobo and 8GB of 2133MHz RAM I had in my 2nd PC intended for use as a video capture/streaming/editing rig) because what I sent him in the past is no longer capable enough to hit 60 fps at high to maximum settings. He's a Greek national Who's been out of work since the 2008 financial crash (Until very recently YAY).

I got him a copy of GRID 2019 so he could save the cash from his job in order to get a 16GB 3200MHz kit to replace the 2133MHz kit he has now. I'm no moneybags with bottomless pockets. Hell I deliver Pizzas for a living which pays minimum wage.

5 hours ago, cpcdem said:

Implementation details are of zero importance in order to judge if the game looks visually good or not.  If we were having a discussion about technologies and how each feature is implemented and why, then it would be very interested and I would like some input for the devs, but obviously this is not the thread for this.

Sorry but I have to disagree very, VERY strongly. Hardware and it's utilisation is VITALLY important to the visuals of ANY game. Dirt Rally was MADE for PC hardware and there was no intention to port it to the consoles until enough console owners demanded it went ahead, it then took MONTHS for it to be converted in order to run on the hardware in the consoles... Dirt 4 was made for the consoles and it shows dramatically as on PC the bushes and grasses at the sides of the tracks look like cardboard cutouts on a stick that rotate as you pass them vs the far more natural 3d models used in Dirt Rally, the tree branches also look like cardboard cutouts nailed to a telegraph pole. Yes there were improvements like car models, water reflections, textures etc but as I mentioned above the gulf between these high end effects in a far lower grade of background just draws your attention to the disparity utterly ruins the immersion.

Saying the next gen consoles coming next year will close the gap to the HEDT market is also relevent and highly important, again because game devs can forget about making for console and porting to PC or making for PC and downgrading to acheive acceptable fps rates on the consoles. Why? because they'll be able to make the game for 1 ecosystem instead of 2 or 3, cutting down costs, workload, easing time constraints etc because the hardware will actually all be on the same level for once.

7 minutes ago, Ak1504 said:

Because you need a lot power for the streaming tools the concoles have.

Do you actually know how most professional streamers and youtubers record gameplay? Most use external capture cards (Elgato, Avermedia etc) sent to a PC because this method requires nothing from the console hardware others may use software but again the serious ones with the best quality vids will STILL be using a PC for the recording again to free the resources of the console to actually play the game...

I speak of people like AR12's Nick and DJLime who's shown great vid in the recent past showing exactly what hardware he uses to record his vids. I'm strictly a part time hobbyist Youtuber and I also use an Elgato HD60 internal capture card but I mostly I use Radeon Relive (because I need to get an HDMI 2 cable as the Elgato passthrough forces the game to run at 60 fps max). Relive does have an impact on resources but NOTHING like the 30% plus thats being unused in both the Xbox and Xbox 1X comparison vid I linked above.

You can see the fps rates top right and from memory the rate dips by a mere 5-10% not 30%. Yeah the quality does suffer but thats because I upload the raw footage and to hell with YT's 12Mb/s BS! The vid above was 2.62GB. Yet the road textures are crystal clear and not glitched or fuzzy looking. Yeah you DO get some cubemap/LOD pop in but it's so rare and far enough away to not be totally IN YOUR FACE all the time.

The 3Dmark scores I showed are all mine and highlight the upto 200% performance increase  between a PC with similar power to the Xbox 1X and a current mid to high end PC (or looked at from the PC to XBox 1X? It has a mere 33% of the power of my PC). The Xbox 1 has a mere 25% the power of the 1X and it shows..... This is why I suggest games made for the console will ALWAYS  bad on the PC because of time and money constraints placed on the devs to get it done fast leading to Sub par games for PC owners.... A I said this SHOULD change once the next consoles arrive as there will be essentially only one platform, capable of true, native 4K @60fps instead of upscaled 1440p, checkerboard rendering or dynamic reduction of image quality to maintain 60fps.

Rumour has it the next Xbox will be capable of 4K upto 120fps (by using dynamic rendering again most likely) possibly even 8K at 30 fps (But wo the hell would spend £15-30K on an 8K TV then plug it into a £5-600 console???. 

If I had that kind of cash to blow on a gaming setup I'd got for a motion rig, upgrade my PC and either keep my Samsung CH49G90 or get a half decent sized 4K 120Hz monitor... But thats just me though...

1 hour ago, [SRS13]Rastus said:

He's a Greek national Who's been out of work since the 2008 financial crash

Lol, I remember that story :) Miatakias is lucky *******, two rigs fo free already! :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, _BorisTheFrog_ said:

The problem with X1X is the XB1, developers having to make a single game to work adequately on two generations of console and Microsoft insisting on framerate parity (for multiplayer purposes) across both consoles - the result being a hopelessly under utilised console. In a lot of ways X1X was a poor idea - a stop gap between generations if you like - and now that the next gen console has been announced owners will never see it's full potential and it will be forever known as a supercar that drove around obeying the speed limits.

At last we agree on something lol. Sorry, joking aside I agree wholeheartedly with these points. the Xbox 1 effectively has ~25% the power of my 6 year old R9 290X (1.3 TFlops vs 6) and the current Xbox 1X matches it. The next gen Xbox SHOULD have the same or very close to my current rig yet will have hardware based raytracing of some kind.

1 hour ago, _BorisTheFrog_ said:

I don't regret my purchase but (as maybe is the case with Grid 2019) I do regret still having to play games that have been developed for a previous gen console that has more users and will therefore generate a higher revenue. 

Nor should you! I only spent several 1000 over a few years because I can justify it because I play a LOT. I don't watch TV, only occasionally stream a movie, and very rarely binge a box set.

Consoles definately have a place in the market thanks to their platform stability, less faffing about with constantly updating this and updating that, and for "casual" gamers the cost can easily be justified no matter which way you look at it.

Take a look back a few years and you'll see that PC games were around £30 on PC but were betwween 30-50% more on console because MS were taking a loss on the hardware costs and recovering this loss form the hike in game prices, it sure as hell confused the poor elder lady who mistakenly gave me an Xbox copy of CODMW, when I went back to the store to get it changed she scanned my receipt then the Xbox case, looked puzzled tried again and asked "Why are the prices so different?" We had a lengthy conversation about the merits of console vs PC gaming inbcluding the pricing difference and the reason behind it, She finally revealed she was intending to buy her Grandson an Xbox 360 but after I pointed out He'd also be able to do his homework on a PC and that (at the time) buying 10-15 games would cost the difference between the 360 and the price of My PC. These points swayed her choice and I still get a smile and a wave every time I see her to this day! 🙂

14 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

Lol, I remember that story 🙂 Miatakias is lucky *******, two rigs fo free already! :classic_laugh:

3 actually 1st was an AMD 1100T with Crosshair III Formula Extreme mobo and 8 GB DDR3 and later an XFX 6970 Black edition just before GAS launched and why I got awarded the early access to GAS. 

2nd was 2 years ago inc AMD 9590 Black Edition Asus Sabertooth Rev 2.0 Mobo 16GB DDR3 2133MHz to go with the 1060 6GB he picked up 2nd hand dirt cheap. 

3rd was the 1600X Asus X370 Strix + 8GB DDR4 2133MHz, each time the aim was to get him back to 60+ fps on his 60Hz 32 inch TV at high to max settings. I'd already upgraded before sending the bits and he never once actually asked for any of it just cried out for help in the forums so I just sent the bits 😉

3 hours ago, PJTierney said:

The Announce Trailer is a cinematic.

It’s also the opening cinematic in-game, leading you into your first races.

Thanks for confirmation, already thought so.

12 hours ago, jesped said:

The question is...  Why GRID can't look this good on PC? this video may be prerendered/fake just for the trailer shot, but it doesn't even have real reflections or other elements that look impossible to achieve in realtime. There is no reason why the game can't look this good (or pretty near) in current PC top hardware. 🤷‍♂️

We are in a time where prerendered CG is not worlds better in quality than realtime CG anymore. Just check this, interactive realtime with a single 1080ti:

I think all this analysis and conclusions  are perfectly valid and relevant:

12 hours ago, jesped said:

Just an example of how much better things can look with just some features, tweaks and nice tricks:
GRID_Trailer.thumb.gif.b1c8670cf8183d72692afe46cea9945a.gif

Why this shot from the GRID trailer looks so vastly better than any moment from gameplay? let's analyze it in detail:

1. Color grading. For starters, even if it's a bit too bright, colors are well balanced, there is no unrealistic oversaturation and contrast is equilibrated: there are neither burnt out areas nor pitch black ones.

2. Motion Blur. Good use of high quality motion blur increases the sense of speed and helps hiding problems like lack of detail in track elements, aliasing. etc. They used the same trick for almost all promo images, but then ALL gameplay videos have a total lack of any motion blur but car's wheels. There's not even an option in the Advanced Options menu anymore. 🤔

3. Camera shake. Camera shake helps a lot with the sense of speed too. Makes racing exciting and cinematic. It just transmits a "danger" feeling that is totally lacking in the gameplay, with so fixed cameras with so little movement.

4. Lighting. Light is much more evenly distributed, with indirect lighting.

5. There is no weird glitches taking you out of the realism. No LOD switches or low res trees. No shadows suddenly appearing from nothing. No jaggies/Aliasing.

Just 5 details that would make the real gameplay vastly better. 

The question is...  Why GRID can't look this good on PC? this video may be prerendered/fake just for the trailer shot, but it doesn't even have real reflections or other elements that look impossible to achieve in realtime. There is no reason why the game can't look this good (or pretty near) in current PC top hardware. 🤷‍♂️

Most of the punch of the shot is perceptual and pure artistic choices. Just quality Motion Blur, good color grading and contrast, good AA (a bit of blur is always better than any aliasing), camera shake for the dramatic "cinematic" feeling. Rich indirect lighting like in GT Sport. All is perfectly doable in realtime. There's plenty of people nowadays with 2080 gpu's doing GI and Raytracing in realtime...    it isn't even a question of going that high, and most features can be tuned to fit your hardware power. I.e. Very high quality motion blur can be taxing, but it can be highly customizable by the number of samples taken and the quality of the blending between them to produce the final result. Same with the quality of GI (Global Illumination), indirect lighting, Ambient Occlusion, etc.

Games nowadays should be much more configurable, specially on PC.

Edited by jesped
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, [SRS13]Rastus said:

I agree there is massive improvements in certain areas, car models, crowd models, the rain in general looks good until you see it following square shaped patterns up the windscreen. The point is that these improvements coupled with inequality of the background, such close LOD and shadow pop in only highlights these deficiencies, ripping away the sense of immersion.  

I agree, in earlier videos there was a lot of LOD popup which made it look bad. Do you still see any noticeable LOD switch in the more recent videos? Personally I don't see any at all anymore.

Btw, I may need to agree with you a bit more, I am also Greek and who knows what will the future hold (again) for us :). Seriously though, cheers man, good to be helping out people when you can, whoever they are.

@[SRS13]Rastus Yep, I have always been on consoles. Last few years slowly swapping all new games to PC as I was so impressed with the difference. I upgraded again this year and now have the new Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti 11GB Turing card. Runs every game now on 4K ultra at 60-100 FPS and has ray tracing if the game has it so all my new games will look a generation ahead to the PS4 or Xbox now. Decided to keep consoles for exclusives i.e God of war, gt sport or unchartered etc etc

Nvidia card/driver also has support for built in photo mode ansel and overlays and 4k60fps video capture on most games. So I'm sold on PC now which I didn't think I would be.  Only down side is all the tweaking to run smooth and all the different launchers !  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jesped said:

Games nowadays should be much more configurable, specially on PC.

This point has already been brought up in the Dirt forums and the general feeling where consoles are concerned is that allowing such changes could potentially compromise performance. Rather strange when you especially consider that the unwritten rule seems that console games must look beautiful, most of these effects setting will be cranked up to the limits of allowed performance to ensure the desired eye candy is present so most will be turning these effects DOWN in order to create a more appropriate environment within the game....a process that would surely IMPROVE performance!

With this in mind and going back to Grid 2019, wouldn't it have been a better idea for Codemasters to tone down lighting effects to something similar to the 'flat lighting' of the visually stunning and (near) flawlessly performing Dirt Rally 1 and use the saved processing power elsewhere? That way consoles get a good looking game and those with uber-powered PC's can return the lighting effects as so desired with their various ultra settings. It just seems like a sensible compromise to me.

Regarding over-implementation of lighting and general visual effects I remember a comment from another time in another place: "Just because you can it doesn't mean you have to" .. Never a truer word has been spoken. 

Edited by _BorisTheFrog_

2 hours ago, [SRS13]Rastus said:

I'll be there on day 1 as will at least 1 other person I know who's posted about the issues We're complaining about, the guy I sent a PC to so he could play Autosport when his one died, I just sent him another upgrade just recently (Ryzen 1600X, Asus X370 STRIX Mobo and 8GB of 2133MHz RAM I had in my 2nd PC intended for use as a video capture/streaming/editing rig) because what I sent him in the past is no longer capable enough to hit 60 fps at high to maximum settings. He's a Greek national Who's been out of work since the 2008 financial crash (Until very recently YAY).

I got him a copy of GRID 2019 so he could save the cash from his job in order to get a 16GB 3200MHz kit to replace the 2133MHz kit he has now. I'm no moneybags with bottomless pockets. Hell I deliver Pizzas for a living which pays minimum wage. 

That lucky ******* its me if you wonder :classic_laugh::classic_cool::classic_tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, _BorisTheFrog_ said:

Regarding over-implementation of lighting and general visual effects I remember a comment from another time in another place: "Just because you can it doesn't mean you have to" .. Never a truer word has been spoken. 

Not sure if this is what you are referring to but:

- Quality Motion Blur
- Good color grading, exposure and contrast
- Good AA
- Camera shake
- Indirect lighting 

...are not
 overimplementation. On the contrary, its underimplementation on the gameplay. Those effects are in the trailers because they make the game look better, not worse:

They made past Codemasters games look better and they make other games look better. For the people that don't like them (happens to some with motion blur) there's always the option to just turn it off.

Edited by jesped
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cpcdem said:

I am also Greek and who knows what will the future hold (again) for us 🙂

--------

What about modern standards I'm very disappointed that they means 4K and 60 fps instead physics for everything and world detalization. The most funny thing gamers didn't ask for this. This standarts are established by console makers themselves and they try to match them by reducing physics and detalization.

As for me I'm ready to sacrifice 4K and 10-15 fps easily if developers put free resources into more detailed world and add physics parameters to each object!

Edited by SkiddyMcCrash
removed swearing
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, jesped said:

Not sure if this is what you are referring to but:

- Quality Motion Blur
- Good color grading, exposure and contrast
- Good AA
- Camera shake
- Indirect lighting 

...are not
 overimplementation. On the contrary, its underimplementation on the gameplay. Those effects are in the trailers because they make the game look better, not worse:

They made past Codemasters games look better and they make other games look better. For the people that don't like them (happens to some with motion blur) there's always the option to just turn it off.

Overdone bloom / god rays and effects that drown the screen with needless light. I think you have to own a console to appreciate how these effects are completely overdone for the sake of realism and whilst they may look particularly nice it makes no sense to force people into driving into something that resembles a solar flare every time the sun rises or sets to eye level. The important thing to remember is that we've all seen the ambient lighting in Grid 2019 and whilst PC gamers like yourself get the opportunity to tweak those settings we as console gamers get nothing whatsoever. What you see is what we will be stuck with...forever. 

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, _BorisTheFrog_ said:

Overdone bloom / god rays and effects that drown the screen with needless light. I think you have to own a console to appreciate how these effects are completely overdone for the sake of realism and whilst they may look particularly nice it makes no sense to force people into driving into something that resembles a solar flare every time the sun rises or sets to eye level. The important thing to remember is that we've all seen the ambient lighting in Grid 2019 and whilst PC gamers like yourself get the opportunity to tweak those settings we as console gamers get nothing whatsoever. What you see is what we will be stuck with...forever. 

Totally agree with that. There was this fashion of overdoing bloom, glare, chromatic aberrations, ...   years ago. But I don't think that's realistic, I think mostly everybody is going for better realism now with more subtle effects. Regarding solar flares...
image.thumb.png.94cfff8477a1a98f3dc3381e45259a60.png

Meanwhile in GT Sport...
image.thumb.png.b9036700bd9c46d72d139ebfea0c4040.png
Not only an amazing sun and sky with perfectly adjusted dynamic exposure, it features realistic shadows that get softer with distance too. Lighting is balanced, the sky is not burnt out and there is indirect lighting in shadowed areas (car shadow is not pitch black like in GRID).

It's not just PC, consoles versions should have more configuration options too.

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, cpcdem said:

I agree, in earlier videos there was a lot of LOD popup which made it look bad. Do you still see any noticeable LOD switch in the more recent videos? Personally I don't see any at all anymore.

I haven't seen any improvement at all. It is just more noticeable in some tracks than others, but same trees LOD and shadows cutoff very visible near your car.

Can you post any of those recent videos where you think it's improved?

And again, going into specifics. Measuring videogame technologies, groundbreaking features, 3D models, textures, art direction...   what exactly is amazing and fantastic in GRID? 🤷‍♂️

Because a game doesn't exists in a vacuum, it should be measured against its current competition.

• Like 1

I tried to capture some improvements I have noticed since some of the original videos of night lighting, no rain.

These are random screen captures from the video running on you tube in 4K/60fps.

• 1. Road texture much better and you can even see the little stones.
  • 2. Street lighting reflection now vertical under each lamp.
  • 3. Building details are much clearer with better defined textures (i.e pink painted building) and better draw distance lit up.
  • 4. Headlight reflections spreading across the road better in front of the car and on to the car ahead.
  • 5. Just the car details look better and a nice dark shadow under the car to make it look low to the road.
  • 6. Cockpit textures better (see carbon) and lighting coming in to the cockpit.
  • Hopefully some positives! 🙌 😍

2019-10-05_181150.jpg

2019-10-05_181518.jpg

2019-10-05_182000.jpg

2019-10-05_182056.jpg

2019-10-05_182132.jpg

2019-10-05_182227.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jesped said:

It seems @CordedQuill42 disagrees so much with everything I post here that he even ends up disagreeing too when I go to sleep and stop posting. 😂

OK, You have my attention. I am breaking my silence.

I am not surprised I was called a Fanboy. Because I told you to MYSELF.

Go ahead, Call me a Fanboy

@jesped, People have a right to disagree when they wish to without being bullied. I knew you would mention me when I disagreed to your GIF. I have read this thread while looking through your posts, and this thread could have been a lot better in a lot nicer tone, but this level of hostility couldn't have been more destructive than I have EVER seen in Halo Waypoint. More so than the Lego speed champions thread in the Forza Forums.

This is the reason why I quit the Forza Motorsport Forums. But I will still acquire the game. I will still enjoy it, maybe I lose interest, but my thoughts of this game has not changed.

Those are all from the Replay right?

2 hours ago, torque99uk said:

2. Street lighting reflection now vertical under each lamp.

You are mistaking lighting with reflection. This is lighting:
image.png.a5375df0fe9db2a7808309f8f795e6e2.png

These are reflections:
image.png

3. Building details are much clearer with better defined textures (i.e pink painted building) and better draw distance lit up.

Don't know what you mean, but yeah, quality seems better in this video and textures look good. Nobody was critizicing textures for being blurred by YT compression.

4. Headlight reflections spreading across the road better in front of the car and on to the car ahead.😍

Again, confusing lighting with reflections. This is lighting:
image.png.ee561ce9eda2940867a7f53bae0f08fe.png

And these are reflections:
image.png.6c665ff7b3a1bc7e17a78b0c785793f0.png

I still don't see any cars lights casting any shadows anywhere.

• 6. Cockpit textures better (see carbon) and lighting coming in to the cockpit.😍

I think what is better is the quality of the video. 🤔

• Hopefully some positives! 🙌 😍

Yes, these captures make the game look better. Not only what you pointed out but:

• there is motion blur, it is subtle but I can clearly see it now.
  • Colors and contrast look well balanced on these captures.
  • It doesn't look oversaturated as before.
  • There is very notable DoF, another effect I haven't seen before in other videos.
  • There is good indirect lighting, specially visible on the car.

So yeah, this looks better, for this concise track/time/conditions/car.

Edited by jesped
  • Like 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, CordedQuill42 said:

People have a right to disagree when they wish to without being bullied. I knew you would mention me when I disagreed to your GIF. I have read this thread while looking through your posts, and this thread could have been a lot better in a lot nicer tone, but this level of hostility couldn't have been more destructive than I have EVER seen in Halo Waypoint. More so than the Lego speed champions thread in the Forza Forums.

This is the reason why I quit the Forza Motorsport Forums. But I will still acquire the game. I will still enjoy it, maybe I lose interest, but my thoughts of this game has not changed.

It's ok, but you and some others here have been throwing around the "bullied" accusation too lightly. Nobody "bullied" anybody here, unless some are oversensitive to the level of the autistic spectrum. We had some strong disagreements, some a bit out of hand strong words and that's all.

What was sincerely funny to me was that you have been systematically disagreeing with most of my posts, even when "disagree" doesn't even make much sense with some of them, like yesterday when I went to sleep and put a gif of Alonso sleeping. 😂

I haven't put a foot on the Forza forums, but I totally understand what you say. Tell you what, I'll try to be more positive and polite from now on, ok? it seems I am too used to forums where language is hardcore and people go full on *passion mode* without much regards. cough, cough, resetera😂

Edited by jesped

Thanks for the detailed analysis of my captures  @jesped I tried to capture the best I could, there was some better lighting some worse. 

I saw many reflections (like you have shown of car lights) but I meant lighting that is reflecting on to the cars wheels at the back of the picture. Anyway at least you see what I mean by the improvements. The video ran some replays so the DOF I think was from that but still nice to see.

I knew you had some positivity in you somewhere 🤷‍♂️👌

• Agree 1

Regarding that Havana night video...

Same LOD or lighting problem still there. Check the abrupt change in the Cathedral windows. This was reported by @lastbreath long time ago.
GRID_LOD.gif.0b8f6954678f110238756edf99e598e5.gif

This tail lighting on the road is too strong, and the anamorphic flare too:
image.png.03d4540547a3a01322db73bfaacdb9da.png

Anamorphic flares and glows are just too strong everywhere in this game. It looks too much like a glow fest. It should be toned down.
image.png.c541317c2a1affaf44fa0d5d8d9616a7.png

Sometimes the car just looks like it's "floating" on the road:
image.png.9679c72abe2f4a684cb9614bbc9d7394.png

image.png.fac9be412933a17e383f849a8fabff92.png

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, torque99uk said:

The video ran some replays so the DOF I think was from that but still nice to see.

I'm watching the video now. From what I'm seeing, your first capture is from the presentation of the race, and all the others are from the Replay, so not exactly "gameplay", settings may be better for replays, like GT Sport does, and camera angles and effects play a great deal in them looking better.

42 minutes ago, torque99uk said:

I knew you had some positivity in you somewhere 🤷‍♂️👌

Don't confuse the tone with the substance of the critique. 😉
I may have been harsh sometimes out of frustration, but everything I've been pointing out still stands. Hard and detailed criticism is not "negativity". Negativity would be saying "this game is sh|t" without even explaining why.

Honestly, I just don't care that much anymore. Maybe the gameplay saves the game, but visually, I'm already convinced it's going to be disappointing overall. Not utterly "horrible" in general, you still are going to be able to cherry pick some decent shots, but visually underwhelming during real gameplay; mediocre and outdated in important aspects.

Edited by jesped
  • Thanks 1
  • Disagree 1