GRID Graphics Discussion

1 minute ago, andmcq said:

Heh, I'm not so sure that's the case. As current and next-gen console make use of X86, we may well see developers continue to develop their games for XBX/PS4. Maybe not in every case, but why wouldn't they? There's about 50m XB's out there and 100m Ps4's.

No arguments with that at all but as the next gen become more prevalent THEN We'll see a rapid change, the new consoles will operate using a cut down version of Win 10 for the OS, Hardware based raytracing and DXR (Direct X Raytracing) will become the norm instead of a feature only available to those that can afford to blow $1200 on a GPU.

Point is though once this hardware parity is acheived and the new consoles really start to sell in the millions, games production will become more consistent and require less time as there'll be no need to create such different levels of gfx fidelity as the hardware limitations will become a thing of the past....

Not everything is solved through brute force cpu and gpu power.

There are key aspects that have more to do with good design, tweaking, tuning and features that are not linked to raw power.

- Quality Motion Blur (quality is adaptable to different hardware by number of samples, quality of the blend, etc)
- Good color grading, exposure and contrast (nothing to do with cpu or gpu power)
- Good AA (a good TAA doesn't require much power, Alias Isolation https://youtu.be/G6Aq7Ayoqvo was a free mod and it didn't add almost any overhead to the base game)
- Camera shake (nothing to do with cpu or gpu power)
- GIobal Illumination and Indirect lighting (doesn't need much power when it is precalculated, like GT Sport)

Posted (edited)

New Okutama video. Looks as horrible as usual. Nothing is changed or improved:

- Same flat lighting
- Same cartoony trees
- Same cartoony mountain rock
- Same trees LOD in your face, just a few meters from your car
- Same shadows changing LOD 1 meter ahead of your car, and appearing from nothing on the trees

Honestly, this looks more like an alpha or a beta than a finished game. 🤦‍♂️

Edited by jesped

Looks fine to me? The trees probably look like that due to TAA, but whatever, who cares it's just a racing game.

The biggest concern I have is performance on the X and Pro, DF's recent look indicated some dips to mid 40's which isn't ideal.

7 minutes ago, andmcq said:

Looks fine to me? The trees probably look like that due to TAA, but whatever, who cares it's just a racing game.

The biggest concern I have is performance on the X and Pro, DF's recent look indicated some dips to mid 40's which isn't ideal.

None of those problems has anything to do with TAA. And yes, some of us care that it looks that bad and that there's so many problems that it looks like an unfinished beta.

Yes, performance looks less than ideal. Shirrako's videos of the PC version show severe framerate drops too.

Just now, jesped said:

None of those problems has anything to do with TAA. And yes, some of us care that it looks that bad and that there's so many problems that it looks like an unfinished beta.

Yes, performance looks less than ideal. Shirrako's videos of the PC version show severe framerate drops too.

And yet, TAA had the exact affect on Dirt 2.0's trees.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, andmcq said:

And yet, TAA had the exact affect on Dirt 2.0's trees.

I honestly don't know what you are talking about. DR2.0 trees look flat sometimes too, but it doesn't have anything to do with using TAA, which the worst it can do is making the borders softer and add a bit of ghosting.

If watching that video you don't see any constant LOD changes in trees, their shadows and the shadows on the side of the mountain, honestly, there is something wrong with your eyes.

Can't you see the trees constantly changing LOD and switching from flat and unshadowed to suddenly having shadows? everywhere? it looks as if the tree gets rotten in advanced timelapse in front of your eyes.
GRID_LOD_Shadows.gif.fb8aa87d21a3a90710354a424b947aad.gif

Trees in GRID looking this bad has to do with bad lighting and shading:
image.png.babc6d1193fb6a4fe27f41d3d6dad1a6.png

Bad lighting, shading, lack of detailed shadows and having minimal LOD very near the camera:
 image.png.01f1ec50f0c7e735a0519db46b32249d.png
image.png.268b18872423e4b69e3dea584b21c0e4.png

I mean, seriously...   what is this?  what the hell is that neon yellow tree nonsensically ultralit from the bottom?   those cartooney trees on the background?
image.png.e2009c4b75d0ed04f0a9c7784c50f308.png

Honestly, since when is this considered good quality for a 2019 PC game?
image.png.e29a254ad4c2af0238cc4b6df9d835c6.pngimage.png.0dbd26e6b94a6d972860ee868440d747.png

Edited by jesped
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

😎👍

launch.PNGplease don't make fun of my fanboy post

Edited by RedHrm
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Hey! 

Just to let you know, it's pretty much impossible now to scrape this thread for constructive feedback that we can act upon as a team, as it's too clogged up with arguments and unnecessary comments, so I'm going to shut it down later. Feel free to start up a new thread for a similar discussion, which will be assessed if the communication between everyone is respectful, 

Couple of things to note which should cover the majority of content in here: 

- Everything you see pre-launch is using versions of a game that are without the customary launch patch, and are being run on the preferred devices/setups of those playing the game. For every video that doesn't look optimised performance-wise, there'll be one that does. We obviously look to present the game in its best possible format, and take on board feedback from players and viewers alike, if it's relevant to the actual state of the game, which we've already done. 

- As is the norm with this role, I'll be far more active on the Forums once the game has launched (tomorrow!) so I can work closely with those playing the game to ensure their voice is heard and their feedback is taken on board. Saw a few comments about how we purposely 'ignore' feedback, which always baffles me - it's literally counter-productive as a team for us to do so, and has no value whatsoever. So, we'll continue to take on the feedback that follows our guidelines and helps us make the game even better for everyone 🙂 

Thanks! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Disagree 3