GRID Graphics Discussion

This looks better then both GRID 2 and GRID Autosport.

Edited by Omiley

2 hours ago, Omiley said:

This looks better then both GRID 2 and GRID Autosport, but we're going to ignore it though right ?

I don't think so. Detailed explanations below, but for starters, here's GRID Autosport in similar conditions. Let's not forget, a 5 years old game:
Endurance-1024x576.jpggrid-autosport-wallpaper-4.jpg

It seems it's you who are ignoring that I already acknowledged that video and stage in a previous message that was unanswered: https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/42209-why-grid-2019-looks-so-bad/?do=findComment&comment=461566

Those reflections are totally fake and absurd. It doesn't seem SSR reflecting the real circuit, but some offscreen flashy colors cubemap that doesn't make sense.

Just look at the entire video, the reflections doesn't match the circuit AT ALL:
B2G0igv.png

This is supposedly one of the best looking videos and most issues still apply: excessive contrast, oversaturation, no Eye Adaptation, shadows artifacts, fake reflections, ...
There is no ambiance, it looks overly clean and sterilized.

For comparision, here's an Open World (more limited in every aspect by definition) game from 2015, 4 years older...

Real reflections of cars, lights and environment, realistic surfaces, shadows, environments and overall lighting and effects, dynamic weather, ...

need_for_speed__2015_-3227814.jpg
NFS-6-Ultra.jpg

Edited by jesped

Tell you what, let's just leave it at that. You obviously want to feel a certain way about the footage released so far. I and many others plan on enjoying the game. If you don't buy the game I hope you find something suitable to your standards, drive safe.

18 hours ago, jesped said:

According to Wikipedia "the division was shifted to a SUPPORT ROLE for OTHER Codemasters titles."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_Studios

N60ZIAq.png

I don't know, but it would make more sense for the Driveclub team to support a GRID title than a Dirt or F1, right?

The thing is that this is not "the Driveclub team", but Codemasters Evo / Codemasters Cheshire. I don't know how many of the employees have anything to do with Evolution Studios anymore.

As far as I understand support role for other games is basically the same as KL studio, which means creating assets for whoever needs them and so on, and not working on a specific game. What I said earlier still stands "Evo is not the developer of this game though as far as I know and most likely can't have a big say in how the graphics are made." the only thing that the quote is missing is "the main developer" instead of developer.

Omiley

I watch trailer, I see bad graphics, I ask on forum why graphics is bad with examples to prove my words. What else constructivism do you want?

I think I have full rights to criticize the game because it was pretty long waiting and now CM is trying to sell me new GRID that looks even worse than previous 6-yo game! So, wouldn't it be better to make DLC for Autosport instead new game? At least graphics would be better and price lower...

• Agree 1

So you care about GRID only for the graphics? I guess you don't care about the gameplay, how it drives. What's important is just the look. Good to know, I'll create a non game, only graphics, no gameplay and you'll pay me 70 damn bucks for it, since it's the only thing that matters

1 hour ago, TheWalker17 said:

So you care about GRID only for the graphics? I guess you don't care about the gameplay, how it drives. What's important is just the look. Good to know, I'll create a non game, only graphics, no gameplay and you'll pay me 70 damn bucks for it, since it's the only thing that matters

Textbook Straw Man fallacy. Congratulations. 😂
Nobody is saying we don't care about gameplay or that visuals are the only thing that matters. But they matter a lot. Just check the visuals on the best selling games and see how much they matter.
For example, check Forza Horizon 4 and its 10 Million players and see how much its awesome visuals matter.

This already has been addressed, read the full thread: https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/42209-why-grid-2019-looks-so-bad/?do=findComment&comment=461577

"Game could still be fun but, again, THIS IS NOT WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT, this is about VISUALS, how the game LOOKS, and THAT'S WHY it's titled "Why GRID 2019 looks so bad?"

We can't criticize gameplay in detail, because we haven't played it yet, but we can talk about visuals based on the videos released. We're one month from release date, so it's not like it's gonna radically change."

For all the arguments with detailed points laid out in this thread about VISUALS, none have been refuted:
excessive contrast, oversaturation, flat lighting in sunny areas and too dark in shadow areas, burned/washed out skies, no Eye Adaptation, Geometry pop-in and Shadows LOD changes in your face, low res flat trees and vegetation, rock walls looking like cardboard, totally unrealistic reflections, ...    

There is no ambiance, it looks overly clean and sterilized.

In the end, the only arguments are "wait until release"(less than 1 month), "but gameplay...", "don't care about visuals"?

Edited by jesped
  • Disagree 1

9 hours ago, Omiley said:

Tell you what, let's just leave it at that. You obviously want to feel a certain way about the footage released so far. I and many others plan on enjoying the game. If you don't buy the game I hope you find something suitable to your standards, drive safe.

No, its not that I "want to feel" a certain way. My standards are currently very satisfied with Forza Horizon 4 and even back at NFS2015.

But wait, not only those, my standards (and everyone else's in 2019) are also fully satisfied with Dirt Rally 2...     another Codemasters title that for some reason I didn't "want to feel" bad about.
Why would that be? 🤔

Edited by jesped

"So, wouldn't it be better to make DLC for Autosport instead new game? At least graphics would be better and price lower..."

The one who can't read is you. He basically said he just doesn't care about what GRID can offer gameplay wise. He just cares about good graphics. I expect this guy to not buy GRID and stick to his past.

And yes, the only arguments are "wait till the release". Because it's what you have to do. After you launch the game on your PC and see it looks bad then complain. You don't even know on which machines they recorded the gameplays.

Edited by TheWalker17
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, TheWalker17 said:

He basically said he just doesn't care about what GRID can offer gameplay wise.

And yes, the only arguments are "wait till the release". Because it's what you have to do. After you launch the game on your PC and see it looks bad then complain. You don't even know on which machines they recorded the gameplays.

No, he didn't "basically" said that. @lastbreath posted a question on how a DLC for Autosport could make more sense. I don't necesarily agree, but you directly manipulate his words.
POINT IS (again): nobody is talking about gameplay, which a lot of people here seem fixed to derail the conversation about VISUALS to...   I asume it's due to the inability to talk about gameplay, so that's a tricky way of trying to end the discussion. But the thing is...   the entire thread is not about gameplay, but VISUALS.

I guess the Codemasters videos promoting the game were recorded in a 486 with 4MB of RAM and a S3 Trio, ...   😂
Or maybe a PS3 or an Android mobile...   that would make more sense, as this game looks more in tune with Asphalt than current PC and console titles like Forzas, GT Sport, ACC... or Codemasters' own Dirt Rally 2 😉

You're annoying. That was a rhetorical question, he implied and assumed that the new game is not going to have a new gameplay and new features. Hence why "wouldn't it be better.... at least good graphics and a lower price". This is what an intelligent man would understand. He'd rather have a dlc for an old game than a new game because the old one looks better. IT'S ******* WRITTEN THERE. Either you're stupid or you're manipulating his words for your own sake

You're annoying, get off your pedestal, idiot

Edited by TheWalker17
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, TheWalker17 said:

You're annoying. That was a rhetorical question, he implied and assumed that the new game is not going to have a new gameplay and new features. Hence why "wouldn't it be better.... at least good graphics and a lower price". This is what an intelligent man would understand. Either you're stupid or you're manipulating his words for your own sake

You're annoying, get off your pedestal idiot

Nice! now insults already 😂

“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
― Socrates

"Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong."
Jean-Jacques Rousseau

You are the "annoying" one using fallacies, insults and insisting on "gameplay!" gameplay!" in a thread about VISUALS (is this big and clear enough for you now?)

Cut the insults and keep civil and on topic. Or just forget about this thread and get out, you're not contributing anything of value anyway.

Edited by jesped

Yeah, keep manipulating words for your own sake.

I'll tell you again, get off your pedestal. I showed you that the guy clearly said he'd rather get a DLC for an old game rather than a new whole game just because the old looks better and OF COURSE YOU CHANGE SUBJECT.

"At least good graphics and a lower price"

is this big and clear enough for you now?

I'll tell you again, I know you're a troll, so I'm not doing nothing wrong: IDIOT

Edited by TheWalker17
  • Agree 1

Hence why "wouldn't it be better.... at least good graphics and a lower price". This is what an intelligent man would understand. He'd rather have a dlc for an old game than a new game because the old one looks better.

Can you understand now troll?

• Agree 1

Discussion and debate is welcome, but let’s stop with any insults please, thanks 🙂 

• Agree 2

On 8/29/2019 at 12:40 PM, jesped said:

What happened to Code"masters"?  no money left to pay devs after paying Fernando Alonso? :classic_wacko:

You were the first one to throw insults and slander, and you started the post. Insinuating the devs lack financial resources or even competence for that matter. It's clear how you feel about visuals, if thats the main driving point for you about the game then don't buy it. You seem to be happy enough with Forza or GT Sport.

• Agree 2

TheWalker17

Man I wouldn't complain if GRID was year or two after GRID2. It would be understandable that they sacrificed visuals to apply some heavy gameplay features.

But 6 f..ng years passed!!! 6 years!!! After six years you expect to see some visual burst, you know! Between original GRID and GRID2 also was almost 6 years. And it was HUGE graphic enhancement. And what now? GRID 2019 is outdated before release. It is outdated even in comparison with GRID2!

Yes, maybe it will have amazing gameplay, maybe it will have stunning physics! But visually this is PS3 level and this is not my crazy mind, this is stated fact on the OFFICIAL videos. This is a shame to release a game in 2019 with such low visual standards, it's like cell phone with buttons and monochrome display! Who will buy such phone nowadays even if it fully supports all internet features?

You want to talk about gameplay? Let's talk. This is racing. This is not fantasy RPG where gameplay could be absolutely different from previous game. That's why i think there will be not a huge difference in gameplay between Autosport and GRID2019. But there is a huge difference in visuals. That's why i said I prefered Autosport DLC.

Just compare:

20190907130942_1.thumb.jpg.49509e5e05936261c379becaa9affadc.jpg

dh.png.ad2ff1342c9d2eea620fbd8908abc2ee.png

Want the most funny thing? EVEN GRID2008 HAD BETTER TREES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnB-LTCDqwU

Edited by lastbreath
  • Agree 1

If you feel that strongly about it @lastbreath then don't buy it, simple. No need for further drawn out antics to get people to see your point of view. Too much negativity these days, this is bad and that looks terrible etc.... I saw plenty to be excited about, if you didn't then maybe it's not for you. You can't expect to be blown! away! every time a new game releases. As for the time discrepancy, GRID is not the main focus for CM. Since 2009 there has been a new F1 every year, and since the original GRID in 08' they made Colin McRae: Dirt 2, Dirt 3, Dirt Showdown, Colin McRae Rally, Dirt Rally, Dirt 4 and Dirt Rally 2.0. There are only 3 GRID to date, 4 including the new one next month. So your expectations are far too high for this series.

2 hours ago, Omiley said:

You were the first one to throw insults and slander, and you started the post. Insinuating the devs lack financial resources or even competence for that matter. It's clear how you feel about visuals, if thats the main driving point for you about the game then don't buy it. You seem to be happy enough with Forza or GT Sport.

That is sarcasm and valid criticism. I didn't call them "idiots", "stupids", "trolls", ...   but it seems those are ok for some. 😉
I'm not slandering the artists or the coders, I'm criticizing the shown results. 
I would have prefer they've put all the "Fernando Alonso marketing move" big $$$ on more developers and artists. You know, the REAL people that can make a game great. Maybe then the game would look up to 2019 standards instead of obsolete before release.
Colin McRae, Travis Pastrana or Ken Block didn't make Dirt 2 great, good developers and artists did. 

Edited by jesped

I'm one of those graphics whores who believes that yeah gameplay CAN make up for bad gfx but I gotta agree with the OP this game looks like a huge step backwards. In a game thats supposed to be a triple A title for the current gen this really does look like last gen backgrounds with polished looking cars pasted on top.

I said the same thing about Dirt 4 before it launched with it's cardboard cutout bushes and grass at the sides of the track. People voted with their gameplay time.... Take a good look at steam charts some time and search for codies games and you'll see what us "GFX whores" are on about. Why is it in almost every case codies older titles still have MORE players than the most recent titles????

Why? because garbage gfx ruins immersion and once you spot it you can't NOT see it every time you play, sorry but gameplay can't save it imo..... (I'ts MY opinion no-one elses either agree or disaggree don't flame me for expressing it).

Steam charts for "Grid"

https://steamcharts.com/search/?q=grid

Steam charts for "Dirt"

https://steamcharts.com/search/?q=dirt

The only codies series bucking this trend is F1 which has consistently improved visually each itteration whilst both Dirt and Grid seem to be doing the reverse.

This is the 1st Grid to use DX12 just as the next API's comne along (Vulkan, Direct X Raytracing etc) Codemasters are stuck in the past punting out old GFX.

Who's betting that there'll be repeats of the corrupted save file issues from Grid 2 onwards? I am because it seems Codemasters don't seem to want to learn from mistakes made in the past.

They're a business interested in making money with the least amount of effort possible (every business is the same it's NOT just codemasters).

I'll more than likely be buying the game (despite the lack of drifting and demo derby but thats another topic that caused the fanboys to degenerate the discussion to name calling and straying off topic) even given the negatives but, if it DOES look garbage then I'll be looking for a refund and waiting for the next Forza games when the new consoles launch next year.... 

At least then we'll have the consoles and PC on the same generation of internal hardware so games will be built for all instead of built for console and ported over to PC very poorly.....

This is form Forza Apex which was basically just a tech demo prior to FM7 but released 2 YEARS before Dirt 4 and really highlights what us GFX whores are complaining about....

Thats in game not from any launch trailer

Forza Apex pic.PNG

Edited by Guest
additional evidence

Insinuating that CM wouldn't have enough money left to properly pay the devs is NOT criticism. You have no knowledge of their financial situation for such accusations. Doesn't matter if you meant for that to be sarcasm or not, proper critiquing wouldn't stoop to those levels to make a point.

3 minutes ago, Omiley said:

Insinuating that CM wouldn't have enough money left to properly pay the devs is NOT criticism. You have no knowledge of their financial situation for such accusations. Doesn't matter if you meant for that to be sarcasm or not, proper critiquing wouldn't stoop to those levels to make a point.

You are overreacting again. It's not an accusation like anybody is on trial. From what I've seen, my impression is that GRID 2019 has been developed by a small team with not enough time to polish the result. 
Like I said, I think the "Fernando Alonso" big bucks would have been much better spent in more developers, better paid, more development time, ...   I don't need any "Fernando Alonso" marketing bs to sell me a game.

• Agree 1

Any company cutting corners, laying off staff constantly, making questionable purchases with poor return of investment, renegotiating staff contracts mid term, failing to fix issues in favour of dumping all support, could clearly be said to be in finiancial trouble..