GRID Graphics Discussion

5 minutes ago, [SRS13]Rastus said:

Any company cutting corners, laying off staff constantly, making questionable purchases with poor return of investment, renegotiating staff contracts mid term, failing to fix issues in favour of dumping all support, could clearly be said to be in finiancial trouble.. 

Is that what's been going on at CM ?

BTW I'm not a Codies hater I'm just disappointed with the direction they've taken over the last 5-6 years, just take a close look at my SRS13 image... It's the Grid logo on carbon fibre...

SRS13 was formed BECAUSE of Grid 1..

Only Autosport has come close to beating the original but failed when the broken upgrade fix was abandoned instead of being completed (It wasn't financially viable and all further support updates for GAS were abandoned as well).

6 minutes ago, Omiley said:

Is that what's been going on at CM ?

Yup I read the tech news.....

A huge percentage of staff were dismissed or let go after GAS, After Onrush salaries and contracts were renegotiated. Just 2 examples from recent history...

Back on topic and how this relates to the GFX complaints though, with the constant staffing changes, poor results for titles, Codies clearly don't have the resources they used to which dramatically impacts the games produced.

Edited by Guest

28 minutes ago, [SRS13]Rastus said:

BTW I'm not a Codies hater I'm just disappointed with the direction they've taken over the last 5-6 years

Same here. I thought Dirt Rally 2 marked the comeback from their decline in quality but now GRID 2019 looks again a step backwards. It doesn't even have a proper Dashcam view for wheel users btw. 🤦‍♂️

32 minutes ago, [SRS13]Rastus said:

Yup I read the tech news.....

A huge percentage of staff were dismissed or let go after GAS, After Onrush salaries and contracts were renegotiated. Just 2 examples from recent history...

Back on topic and how this relates to the GFX complaints though, with the constant staffing changes, poor results for titles, Codies clearly don't have the resources they used to which dramatically impacts the games produced.

Now all this sounds about right. It shows. What baffles me is...   is the "big star" marketing stunt still worth it financially nowadays? I thought those days were over. Don't see much bigger houses like Microsoft/Playground and Sony/Polyphony doing it with their games.

10 hours ago, Omiley said:

If you feel that strongly about it @lastbreath then don't buy it, simple

I came to official forum to get official answer why graphics is so bad. If this topic offends you - don't visit it, simple.

Too much negativity these days, this is bad and that looks terrible etc...

Because it looks terrible.

You can't expect to be blown! away! every time a new game releases

After SIX(!) years - visual burst is not even expexted, it is imminent!

At least, at least the same level is expected. Not worse!

9 hours ago, Omiley said:

Insinuating that CM wouldn't have enough money left to properly pay the devs is NOT criticism

You didn't accept even normal criticism with screen examples. What is criticism then?

9 hours ago, [SRS13]Rastus said:

Codemasters are stuck in the past punting out old GFX

Man, this is not even old gfx, because old gfx was better, lol 😄 I don't now how it's connected but starting with DiRT4 graphics in CM games was downgraded drastically! I mentioned water already, there were waves in DiRT2/3 and plane texture in DiRT4!

9 hours ago, [SRS13]Rastus said:

could clearly be said to be in finiancial trouble

But they still can use their OLD ASSETS! Because they literally was better than these ugly blurred trees!

14 hours ago, [SRS13]Rastus said:

A huge percentage of staff were dismissed or let go after GAS

This is what happens when you promote the game as simulator and release arcade instead. Bloody good arcade, but it is still wrong advertising.

Even CM desperate effort - Autosport coudn't save the situation. Time has gone. And it's a big disappointment, because Autosport was very good 😞

And thanks for the video. It explains a lot. Aged CEOs are making games by aged marketing rules for quick cash grab instead of being inspired by their product and listening to their fans. As a result - failure after failure. Nice! From hero to zero... What an irony...

Edited by lastbreath

Lets be honest some stuff Just looks unfinished and lacks the detail or content the old grid had all that aside i do beleave the game wil stil be alot of fun to play 

I think we've all given our opinions now... I wish this would've rather been a thread full of pics and such explaining what should be changed (which this partly is) instead of an argument. 

ahaha same old,

people still dreaming for a triple A game… most of us would be glad to play online the same way we used to do into grid1.

Even on a not so hyper graphics game, the center is gameplay and interactions beetwn racers. The bad news is as far i see we won't get both !

cm don't follow customers and community feedbacks.

Me and other old grid1 gamers are asking 2 feature for the ''interaction side'' of online gameplay… this before grid2 and they never heard us !! (is something like 8 or 9 f0ckin year ago)

So my advice, buy the game, don't waste money. Will be a great game for 15$. If you are naive enough to drop 75eur on preorder... well, be ready to some huge dissapointment...

6 hours ago, FlashStealth said:

most of us would be glad to play online the same way we used to do into grid1

You don't need GRID 2019 for this, you can still play Autosport

What happened to the Codemasters I grew up with? Back when each of their games would be a significant improvement over the last one, filled with content and supported by only a handful of DLCs post-release. No removing of existing content just for that same stuff to be added later on again - with a price tag. Video game development has changed, and even more so has Codemasters.

The game after which everything went downhill was probably DiRT 3. DiRT Showdown was a solid game, but still just a rehash. GRID 2 was a proper sequel, except they went the arcade route yet again and we all know how that turned out. GRID Autosport happened - with the same low detail car models, an atrocity of a hybrid handling model - without tuning, teams or any kind of customization. Once again the list of DLCs was enormous as they tried to cash in on content added to the bland base game, without any interest to actually improve the game.

There is a certain kind of irony to the fact that the franchise that never had these problems is the F1 series, a series that doesn't offer them as much liberties as any of their other IPs. Every year they come up with enough new features and just the right improvements to make you buy the latest iteration.

With the new GRID, I feel like they don't strive for perfection anymore at all, just enough to be able to make some money off a big name, everything else being a "next game thing" or never adressed at all.

I hope I'm wrong.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

7 hours ago, lastbreath said:

You don't need GRID 2019 for this, you can still play Autosport

mmm i'm not sure about that… 

9 minutes ago, Ak1504 said:

That gameplay looks way better imo

God, those trees make me feel physical pain, i'm not kidding

9050586.jpg.47b3a7b5a10777201ba52a627163a6fd.jpg

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

God, those trees make me feel physical pain, i'm not kidding

9050586.jpg.47b3a7b5a10777201ba52a627163a6fd.jpg

you know trees are terrible, i like overall graphics in this 2 videos btw… 

Ok, you're beating a dead horse now @lastbreath, this is what I mean by negative. Make a point and move to the next, focusing  on 1 or 2 issues you have with the graphics isn't helping the discussion move along. But you've insisted it's just criticism right ? Stop using that word incorrectly to help you bash and bash.........and bash some more something you don't like.

I don't see lastbreath singling you out Omiley... leave the "Personal attacks" where they belong (in the bin or locked away in your head). At least he's moved on from the earlier vitriol yet remains on topic and isn't STILL lambasting individuals with no provocation because they are expressing a personal opinion....

In the long run the GFX issues may well be resolved at launch (Didn't GAS get a hi-res texture pack at launch?) In it's current state though the game backgrounds look horrifically bad. Waaaaay worse than even the GAS press pre-release....

I should know as I was the only gamer to be playing GAS at home 6 weeks before it launched and the differences between the "Press version" and launch day weren't THAT massive. Then again I was changing the GFX to max settings....

For this game they'll HAVE to be massive.

Other points are we have NO IDEA of the gfx settings used in the gameplay vids. if it's "Normal" then ultra settings may be in a totally different league vs the vids we've actually seen.

This seems to be a major issue (at least to my eyes) with pre-release vids, Surely it would make sense to list the GFX settings used or even produce vids at different settings instead 9 times out of 10 you have no clue if the vid was captured from a console with 4-5 year old tech or on an ultra expensive PC turned upto 11....

Add in YT Mixer Twitch all demanding such low bitrates that the vids can be trashed to the point of looking "last gen" or worse, even the method of recording can have a massive impact on this...

Hell sick of my ULTRA vids coming out as pixellated garbage on YT these days even when I've used My Elgato capture card, what goes up on youtube sure as hell looks a LOT worse than the video files on my PC do... eg..

Sure as hell looked an order of magnitude better before YT mullered the compression by a factor of 5 (I recorded at 60Mb/s when YT wants 12Mb/s). So yes YT is quite possibly responsible for poor impressions just as much as the lack of info regarding the settings used while playing... Yet as lastbreath says those trees are horrendous....

When Turn 10 announced Forza was coming to PC the produced Forza Motorsport 6 Apex (a single player port of FM6 adding DX12 into the mix) which looked like this... On a PC which at max settings could only output 70-90 fps in a DX11 game (GAS, Dirt Rally) check the fps rates thanks to DX12 it's almost TWICE the fps rate and still looks WAAAAY better than what I've seen of Grid 2019 so far... A 2015 game ported to PC as a "tech demo" 6 months later in 2016. Tell me I'm wrong or a hater but IMO Codies are a generation behind only NOW using DX12 in Grid just as DXR RTX Vulkan are superceeding DX12....

For that to be resolved we need to play the game. Yeah I'm not happy as things stand but I'll most likely buy it and test it on my rig THEN make a decision on whether to get a refund on my purchase.

I've not bought any of the F1 frachise since 2011 as to me it seems every race they show there's a misting effect, the more distant an object is the more whitewash is applied, this ruins the imersion thus ruining the game (for me at least anyway). eg...

Even CLOSE objects are washed or whited out, it's a way to minimise impact on fps rates by fudging the GFX of objects not critical to the gameplay..... Bright sunny day but there's a persistant mist all the time... this to me makes the cars seem cartoonish and unreal.....

Edited by Guest

Like I said I'll most likely buy the game but given Codies history over the years I'm 51/49 on keeping it. I just no longer trust what they say anymore.....

In the same league as EA these days e.g. I paid £96 for BF4 premium and think I've amassed a total play time of just over 20 hours because they nerfed air to air weapons like heatseakers whilst continuing to award instakills for the goddamned RPG's. If it's got an EA badge I won't be interested unless I hear nothing but stellar player reviews. Not to mention the enforced gambling, deliberately putting low level players against high end players in order to entice people into their pay to win mechanics of most recent EA games.

Codies are in the same box since they refused to fix the upgrades in GAS after months of promising a fix was incoming.

Trust has been destroyed too often in the past, F1 online the game abandoned due to a low fuel bug more laps in time trial the faster the car got promised a fix then the entire game was canned with only 2 weeks warning and no refunds for lost in game purchases, yet later released on iOS as F1 challenge!!!! GRRRR!!!!, Grid 2 successor to Grid 1 an arcade drift to win NFS clone, GAS broken upgrades, Dirt Showdown Awful just awful, Dirt 4 with it's track generator which also didn't work well in Grid 2. 

Need I go on?????

Edited by Guest

This actually looks pretty good to me. Now the driving is bad lol, but it looks good. Glad Silverstone is making a return as well.

Here another video with same track, car and conditions but a much better driver.

Edited by Omiley

Too much dirt on chase camera. This is not real camera flying over the car, this is just a view for the player. Why the hell screen sould be totally covered with rain drops?
To hide those trees? 😄

Omiley

I'm not insulting. I just want an answer from authorities why graphics is so bad. That's all.
And who created those trees. And who approved them into the game. I want to see that guys 😄

Edited by lastbreath
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

Too much dirt on chase camera. This is not real camera flying over the car, this is just a view for the player. Why the hell screen sould be totally covered with rain drops?
To hide those trees? 😄

Omiley

I'm not insulting. I just want an answer from authorities why graphics is so bad. That's all.
And who created those trees. And who approved them into the game. I want to see that guys 😄

After that response it's clear you're just trolling, will disregard you from henceforth.

3 hours ago, Omiley said:

After that response it's clear you're just trolling

Yes, I'm trolling, because it's so bad it's even funny. And nothing left to do.

Also I want to inform you. that back into 2013 there was cool community manager that politely listened to all our moaning (sometimes unfair, agree) and tried to answer all our questions. Now developers are deaf. So, as I said earlier- nothing left to do.

Edited by lastbreath
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1