GRID Graphics Discussion

28 minutes ago, CordedQuill42 said:

The moderation team will get him eventually

This doesn't save the game from being ugly.

You'd better join me in demanding an answer why developers give us outdated game, but it seems you fanboys are ready to eat any sh@t from CM. So be it. I'm out.

Edited by lastbreath

On 9/13/2019 at 9:03 AM, lastbreath said:

This doesn't save the game from being ugly.

You'd better join me in demanding an answer why developers give us outdated game, but it seems you fanboys are ready to eat any REDACTED from CM. So be it. I'm out.

This is not the first time I have been called a "Fanboy". My experience on the Halo Waypoint forums (Link to my profile is in my signature) has shown that nothing cannot appease everyone. Thats what happened with Halo 4 and 5, The community was divided into two groups, the Old fans and the New fans. The old wants 343 Industries (The "new" developer of the Halo franchise) to return to classic movement mechanics, and criticize anything that moves away from that formula, whereas the new welcomed the additions to halo, and wants 343 Industries to proceed forward with those features.

With that being said, The new videos showed a great graphical upgrade over the Tommy T99 videos, showing a massive support from Codemasters (I bet some even saw those posts on this topic and recommended improvements), and even showed how multiplayer would look like. In all honesty, this game doesn't need anymore delays, and It will be a great success. And if you disagree with me, well thats perfectly fine, but do not ruin the game for people who want to play it when it comes in October.

Edited by CordedQuill42
I am NOT surprised I was called a fanboy.

That's not me ruining the game. CMs are ruining the game. But you insult me instead. 

Those cardboard trees are ugly AF, even original GRID had better trees, 10-yo game! And it's even bigger contrast when perfectly modelled cars ride in so ****** up environment. And you keep saying everything's OK. So why are you surprised I called you a fanboy?

I'm still waiting for CM staff to explain the situation.

Quality seems very uneven from one track to another. For example, Silverstone in rain here looks better, even with all that YT compression:

Rain effect looks good and masks the bad elements. I guess the ones that look the worst are clear sunny ones. Would love to see an improvement on those.

As @lastbreath constantly points out, trees should be improved. It's not just the lack of detail, but how flat they react to light. That doesn't happen even with GT Sport's 2D trees. Despite the lack of geometry detail, they react properly (both in shading, speculars and shadows) to sun position and thus look very good in sunny light:

eAjPM0Z.png

Tracks like Okutama would see a big improvement just by improving the trees.

Here's a Digital Foundry video explaining the tech and comparing it to Forza's simpler solution:

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 1

And another one:

This is what I meant with the lack of Eye Adaptation, you can't see sh|t without it in dark areas:

o4YIrel.png

Most racing games feature this. You can see it clearly here in Driveclub (which is a bit too strong):
cVWk65Y.gif

But even in past Codemasters titles like Grid 2. Check the Okutama tunnels:

Edited by jesped

I agree about the trees. they look like cardboard cutouts nailed to a telegraph pole, which ruins the immersion. take alook at the screenshot from Apex from 3 years ago, better trees by a country mile.

As for racing in the rain it's raining very heavily so where's the standing water??? Puddles???? Runoff??? Aquaplaning at high speed???

Check this also from Apex... not nearly as heavy on the rain but there's standing water (where you would expect to find it at every lowpoint of the track)

And STILL the trees look better....

Forza Apex pic.PNG

Stop trolling already, you're clearly just trying to keep the thread going at this point ..... smh

best looking racing game to date to me from what ive seen in today gameplay footages..it justify the 100 GB HDD space requirement spec

Edited by RedHrm
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jesped said:

This is what I meant with the lack of Eye Adaptation

This is just poor lightning.

OK, you can't do better trees. You can't do better lightning... But how can you do them worse than they were 6 years ago??? This is just out of my mind...

Edited by lastbreath

18 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

This is just poor lightning.

Well, lack of Adaptation can be called that. :classic_smile:

It can be clearly seen again here:

image.thumb.png.2bf03a272321b698835135afc45440e7.png

I mean...   this is clearly a bug. This shouldn't be considered normal. 

Edited by jesped

51 minutes ago, Omiley said:

Stop trolling already, you're clearly just trying to keep the thread going at this point ..... smh

Then please return the favour and STOP ACCUSING OTHERS OF TROLLING JUST BECAUSE WE DISAGREE WITH YOUR OPINION!

Where is your relevent comment to this thread????????? I see NOTHING to refute our comments just incessant ABUSE of ANYONE you disagree with this is NOT on! 

You've made NO constructive comments in reply so why are you here? Just trolling people perhaps??????

I've already stated I'm buying the game yet all you do is make baseless accusations in order to provoke a reaction, against the forum rules of conduct.

If you disagree why not provide some evidence instead of attacking people for no reason? 

THAT'S the definition of trolling not what we're doing which is providing evidence of poor graphics in this game being touted as a triple A title but failing at the get go.....

12 hours ago, lastbreath said:

Yes, I'm trolling, because it's so bad it's even funny. And nothing left to do.

Also I want to inform you. that back into 2013 there was cool community manager that politely listened to all our moaning (sometimes unfair, agree) and tried to answer all our questions. Now developers are deaf. So, as I said earlier- nothing left to do.

He admitted it, clear as day. I was the 1st one to post the new videos showing the graphics AREN'T bad. My answer to all this nonsense as to why the graphics "appear" bad is the footage itself, not the game. Some people were invited out to record the game but didn't do so at a high quality, hence why some videos look bad, while others look great. The topic should have been "why such a difference in graphics from different videos". Take it how you want though, the evidence is valid. I for one don't like the livery system, but you don't see me constantly commenting on it over and over. But seriously though, who cares about trees when you're going 120 most of the race ? I take it you guys don't Sim-Race very much. The same argument was stated about iRacing with it's dated graphics, yet it's still the go to sim racing experience without losing immersion.

Edited by Omiley

Yet your last trolling accusation was directed at ME.

You had nothing to say after my comment regarding the fact we don't KNOW what settings are being used, instead of replying to my comment you accuse instead?

NOW WHO'S TROLLING????

How many other negative comments have you trolled people for making????? I wonder.........

You're just directing attacks at negative posters to provoke a reaction in a vain effort to close down a negative thread discussion.

1 hour ago, Omiley said:

But seriously though, who cares about trees when you're going 120 most of the race ? I take it you guys don't Sim-Race very much. The same argument was stated about iRacing with it's dated graphics, yet it's still the go to sim racing experience without losing immersion.

WE DO!!!! Don't like the subject stop following the thread and let people have a discussion and I don't play I racing I'm not mad enough to pay a monthly subcription to play a game, BTW I've been playing racing games the last 25 years or so from arcade to full bore simulators.

The games I play most are those that give a sense of being there as opposed to driving through a landscape cluttered with cardboard cutout trees as a backdrop...

I move with the times appologies for expecting gfx progression from a company thats been 5 years behind the curve for the last 6!

As I've said before look at steam charts most older codies games are played by more people than their current titles this speaks for itself.

PLEASE stop trolling or go away.....

Edited by Guest

Oh, so you thought I meant YOU were trolling. If I didn't tag your name I wasn't referring to you. The above post mentions the culprit, assumptions are fickle thing. You could have just shot me a message to ask whom I was referring to..... smh

Edited by Omiley

Then stop directing attacks at people altogether and instead stay on subject.

As I said if you DON'T like whats being said go elswhere.....

Edited by Guest

First off, it's not an attack if it's true which he admitted to. Second, I have every right to debate something I don't agree with. Until a moderator deems my behavior as in violation with the forums I will express my viewpoint as such. You couldn't even bring yourself to apologize that I wasn't referring to you....

22 minutes ago, [SRS13]Rastus said:

As I said if you DON'T like whats being said go elswhere.....

That's a bully-ish mentality to tell someone to vacate a thread if they don't agree the narrative.

Edited by Omiley

24 minutes ago, Omiley said:

That's a bully-ish mentality to tell someone to vacate a thread if they don't agree the narrative.

Yeah, after calling others trolls¬†now go play victim.¬†ūü§¶‚Äć‚ôāÔłŹ
FFS, this is the last straw. While others are detailing exactly what's wrong with the graphics with examples, you resort to attack other people to derail the discussion and fill the thread with garbage that doesn't contribute anything. Again, and again, and again...   what @[SRS13]Rastus is saying is that if you don't have anything ON TOPIC to contribute, move on and stop pestering people who do.

Edited by jesped

Everything I've stated in on topic. You guys say the trees and some of the graphics are bad, I disagree and explained it's most likely due to low pc settings from a 3rd party. Even after the recent video releases showing dramatically different graphics then you guys stated, you still deny that was a valid case.

And heres even another valid case by someone with 1st hand experience with the game.

25 minutes ago, Omiley said:

Everything I've stated in on topic. You guys say the trees and some of the graphics are bad, I disagree and explained it's most likely due to low pc settings from a 3rd party. Even after the recent video releases showing dramatically different graphics then you guys stated, you still deny that was a valid case.

And heres even another valid case by someone with 1st hand experience with the game.

Ok. Let's discuss it in a civic manner then.

IMHO, these people are invited for a reason. They help spread hype for the game for the very little price of being treated well for a day or a free code, they get views for their channels, ...
Have you EVER heard any of these "content creators" CRITICIZE ANYTHING from any of these games they're helping promote and benefiting from too? :classic_ohmy:

Can you point me to a single video from all of this batch of "content creators" that dares to point out ANY negative thing or CRITICIZE even the slightiest detail in the game?¬†ūüėČ
Of course not, it's all soap and great praise. Because otherwise they wouldn't have been invited or won't be in the future. They know what they have to do and what don't to keep getting invitations and preview codes.

As I said before, rainy conditions look better. But it's no Driveclub or Forza, that's for sure, as there is no real reflections, standing water, puddles or other effects these games from the past have.
Anyway it seems that's the game's look at its best. Not so good at sunny or night conditions. Sunset lighting is specially bad:
o4YIrel.png
image.thumb.png.1ea9e35f3bcc1cad09587123f3f49088.png

All previously detailed criticism still stands for most tracks/conditions:
Excessive contrast, oversaturation, flat burnt lighting in sunny areas and pitch black in shadow areas, burned/washed out skies, no Eye Adaptation, Geometry pop-in and Shadows LOD changes in your face, low res flat trees and vegetation, rock walls looking like cardboard, totally unrealistic reflections, ...    

There is no ambiance, it looks overly clean and sterilized.

Nothing of this has been changed/fixed.¬†ūü§∑‚Äć‚ôāÔłŹ

But happy to see there are dashboard cameras, that's a + point at least.

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 1

The reason those individuals were invited is not on trial. The content they uploaded however is. Those recent videos shows just as much graphical depth as Forza or GT by today's standards. Your personal taste for a certain ambiance doesn't validate that the game looks bad. The looks of the game have merit.

If that's not enough here another example from someone NOT heavily biased as you have stated.