GRID Graphics Discussion

You just said "And heres even another valid case by someone with 1st hand experience with the game." and just after you post a video with one of this guys saying the game is great...    well, that's my explanation.

Again, none of these guys criticize ANYTHING, even blatant problems like in the video you just posted, which is the same I posted earlier and which from this image is captured:
image.png

Does this look normal to you?  does this looks "great"? is this a problem/bug that should be noted and corrected or better should we avoid any criticism and be all praising and clapping hands?

It's not a case of debatable Art Direction, these are notable problems/bugs:

Excessive contrast, oversaturation, flat burnt lighting in sunny areas and pitch black in shadow areas, burned/washed out skies, no Eye Adaptation, Geometry pop-in and Shadows LOD changes in your face, low res flat trees and vegetation, rock walls looking like cardboard, totally unrealistic reflections, ...

What should Codemasters do about these?  nothing? 

Edited by jesped

23 minutes ago, Omiley said:

Those recent videos shows just as much graphical depth as Forza or GT by today's standards.

To this I just can say: MY A$$

Forza Horizon 4, an Open World game, pi$$es on any CM title ever.

And GT Sport does too:

As noted before, GRID doesn't even do real reflections:
B2G0igv.png

Which even an Open World game from 4 YEARS AGO like NFS does:
NFS-6-Ultra.jpg

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 1

Even if you feel that way when compared to Forza or GT, does not mean GRID looks bad. If that's the case then so do they compared to Driveclub.

Sure. Not all the time, but when Driveclub is great, it is the greatest there is. A 5 years old game with still a lot of details with unmatched quality today. But it also has some other problems that don't usually show in YT videos, like bad AA.

The thing is... Driveclub is 30fps, while all the others are 60fps.

All the mentioned problems with GRID doesn't have anything to do with that.

Edited by jesped

No, YOU call them problems. I don't see such egregious problems. But let's not stop there, if the comparison game is what we're doing then nothing looks better AND is more immersive then PCARS 2 VR.

By your standards even Driveclub pales in comparison. Point I'm making is GRID's graphics have merit, and the fact that part of Evolution Studios (who made Driveclub) is now at CM, i think the game deserves alittle more respect.

Edited by Omiley

The games' graphics are not up to current graphical standards. Criticising that aspect of the game is only fair, and when if not now is the time to do so?

Graphics don't make or break a game, but they are an important part of a game and how it's being received that it should be expected to meet current standards or at least surpass older games. One might favor gameplay, car selection or vehicle handling over graphics, but discrediting any criticisms made towards that just because you personally don't care about it as much as others is not the way to go.

• Cardboard cutout trees
  • Eye Adaption effect that's not working properly
  • Static cubemap reflections that don't match the environment (at least combine them with SSR, please)

Just a few points that, if addressed, will help make the game a little bit better - isn't that what we all want?

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Omiley said:

Those recent videos shows just as much graphical depth as Forza or GT by today's standards

This is the only real trolling here

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Omiley said:

No, YOU call them problems. I don't see such egregious problems. But let's not stop there, if the comparison game is what we're doing then nothing looks better AND is more immersive then PCARS 2 VR.

By your standards even Driveclub pales in comparison. Point I'm making is GRID's graphics have merit, and the fact that part of Evolution Studios (who made Driveclub) is now at CM, i think the game deserves alittle more respect.

Sure, because they're not bugs, they are "features". 😂

PCARS 2 doesn't look that good. That video is PC, night and rain, and the camera movement in VR makes it look better than it really is. And no, PCARS 2 doesn't look as good as Driveclub (a 2014 BASE PS4 title) by a mile:

image.thumb.png.c9d6225a6801bb3595dafc03e9f82bfe.png

It's 60fps (with problems), but it's 864p, which shows.

As I said, GRID in rain looks better. The rain effect itself is good (although sometimes it seems to glitch and do repetitive waves). And that has a lot to do with these problems not being present in this rainy conditions: Excessive contrast, oversaturation, flat burnt lighting in sunny areas and pitch black in shadow areas, burned/washed out skies.

As we pointed out earlier in the thread, it seems that little part of what really was the Evolution studio that made Driveclub are now part of Codemasters. Sony laid off more than 50 people from the studio even before Codemasters purchased what was left after Sony closed it for good. In any case, being part the guys that made Driveclub doesn't have any merit beyond Driveclub. The GRID results speak for their own merit.

And let's not forget, these GRID tracks are not made from scratch, these are all recycled from many previous iterations from other games, so it is a LOT less work. Funny thing is, the new ones (Havana and Shanghai) are not the best looking ones either.

Edited by jesped

9 minutes ago, jesped said:

And no, PCARS 2 doesn't look as good as Driveclub (a 2014 BASE PS4 title) by a mile

Let's agree to disagree. I get the feeling you're mostly a console gamer (correct me if I'm wrong), but would explain why you chose to disregard the PC footage and show a (not even 1080p) PS4 screenshot. I've presented my case to the contrary, take it how you want. But be respectful to the devs, you have no idea what kind of pressure these guys are under or their circumstances. Enjoy your thread and drive safe.

2 hours ago, Omiley said:

Let's agree to disagree. I get the feeling you're mostly a console gamer (correct me if I'm wrong), but would explain why you chose to disregard the PC footage and show a (not even 1080p) PS4 screenshot.

No, I'm not. I have a PS4 Pro, where I played Driveclub and GT Sport (had a PSVR for some time too, but not anymore) but my main gaming machine is a PC with a Ryzen, a GTX 1080 and a Fanatec GT2 mounted on a Playseat, all this connected to a Epson 10bit 3D Projector on a 100" screen. I've been a PC gamer since the 386 era, long time before I had any console. I usually prefer to play on the PC because quality is bigger due to pure raw cpu and gpu power, and because then I can use Reshade with the SuperDepth shader to make any game 3D for the projector.

I posted a PCARS 2 PS4 quality sample because you compared PCARS 2 to Driveclub, which is a base PS4 only title (no Pro). PCARS 2 in PS4 looks like a$$ (yeah, 864p and horrible Aliasing, as that image shows) and struggles to hold 60fps. GT Sport is a stable 60fps that looks much better. Again, Driveclub is 30fps, but it's also 3 years older than PCARS 2 and looks much better.

Driveclub on PC could have been a 60fps prodigy that would have graphically smoked any competition, but sadly, we will never see this wonder.

I am more than respectful to devs. I am so respectful to them that I'd rather had Codemasters suits spent the Fernando Alonso marketing big $$$ in more devs, better paid and more development time. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by jesped

I've made some researching. This is literally the lowest trees preset in Autosport:

58UBrhm.gif

So, there is a small chance, that on PC on max settings trees will be good.

But I don't believe anymore... 

Edited by lastbreath

17 hours ago, Omiley said:

The reason those individuals were invited is not on trial. The content they uploaded however is. Those recent videos shows just as much graphical depth as Forza or GT by today's standards. Your personal taste for a certain ambiance doesn't validate that the game looks bad. The looks of the game have merit.

If that's not enough here another example from someone NOT heavily biased as you have stated.

Rain falling in clearly visible sheets, fuzzy out of focus edges to solid objects even the cars in the race, trees and bushes looking like cardboard cutouts straight out of dirt 3, interior so dark it's impossible to see in broad daylight (poor global illumination), over saturated colours, far to much mist used to hide detail at medium to long distances leading to washed out colours (which just highlights the overstaturation in closer objects.

Not 1 WORD criticising any of this just fanboy after fanboy gushing.... wonder why????

2 hours ago, lastbreath said:

So, there is a small chance, that on PC on max settings trees will be good.

Well...   this is PC Ultra:
image.png.a9ddf3d3995eacee209f1b4b2e77f774.pngimage.png.f30c6b910abbd74333721807ab83b93f.png

image.png.2b6ad017440c027a35225b5062107ac5.png

So...   yeah, what I've been saying FROM THE START. 1 month to release, not nearly enough time to make any substantial improvements or fixes. 🤷‍♂️

Less configuration options than past Codemasters titles, and there isn't even Trees or GI settings... 🤦‍♂️

image.png.72e5773477030aa9386bb0067e13ca41.png

Edited by jesped

Nuff said......

Or are we going to get trashed by the fanboys again????

Yeah there may be issues with data compression thanks to youtube but most if not all my apex youtube vids STILL look better than that.

Yeah it might change a bit but it's very VERY late in the day for that...

So what if the graphics aren't the best out there, it's all about that multiplayer fun. In terms of how pretty it looks, Horizon 4 maxed out in 4K @ 60fps beats any racing game out there.
Driving in winter, at night, through a blizzard, sitting in a 1983 Audi Quattro, now that was heaven.

30 minutes ago, Sir.Smoke said:

So what if the graphics aren't the best out there, it's all about that multiplayer fun. In terms of how pretty it looks, Horizon 4 maxed out in 4K @ 60fps beats any racing game out there.
Driving in winter, at night, through a blizzard, sitting in a 1983 Audi Quattro, now that was heaven.

Why GRID can't look like Forza Horizon? GRID isn't even an open world game!

And why Codemasters could do amazing visuals 6 years ago and now they even can't repeat those graphics???

Isn't it strange to you, mate?

Edited by lastbreath
  • Agree 2

New gameplay with rain in Brands Hatch long route, sunny Sydney, rainy Silverstone, Havana night and sunny Okutama.

More treegate details.
Trees really looking like Grid Autosport LOW setting:
image.thumb.png.ca16dbea5ff693367c75009d4afeee5a.png

image.thumb.png.5eb8fbfad42c35879bf70f7b1372d6da.png

image.thumb.png.a300b0a955a469d0c4704ffd55c687ad.png

More bad trees, plus burnt out clouds at Sydney:
image.thumb.png.17ca779a6302c5c903cf8ace574c33a5.png

And Okutama may be the worst of them all. NOBODY from Codemasters or the "content creators" noticed this level of bad quality yet? really? you can directly delete these trees and it will be better. This kind of bad quality trees are much more distracting than nothing at all in their place.
image.thumb.png.cc980487853092cfcb2b2ddefd73b1f7.png

Some trees are clearly wrongly lit:
image.thumb.png.d4f0fb4357faa912da89c4d6461905a2.png

And the mountain rock lacks any speculars and realism, it looks like flat lit cardboard:

image.png

And even with this low quality trees, there's visible LOD and shadows pop-in with them.

Edited by jesped
  • Like 2

The game has very small LOD. Textures are drawn literally right on your eyes. 18:38 look at the building ahead. Maybe this is why trees are so ugly? 

This is really very very weird. There MUST be a reason of such crappy visuals!

As mush as I was excited when GRID had been revealed, now GRID became the biggest disappointment of this year ((

Edited by lastbreath

9 hours ago, lastbreath said:

Why GRID can't look like Forza Horizon? GRID isn't even an open world game!

And why Codemasters could do amazing visuals 6 years ago and now they even can't repeat those graphics???

Isn't it strange to you, mate?

Not quite sure why you quoted me to ask a question and answer it yourself..
What's strange is people whining about the graphics being bad when it is obviously not maxed out in examples shown.

45 minutes ago, Sir.Smoke said:

it is obviously not maxed

There was video above, where streamer showed game settings. They were all MAXED. So no more excuses.

Edited by lastbreath

AHAHAHA the game needs 100GB on your hard drive! FOR WHAT? FOR TREE SPRITES???

I+was+dreading+a+twist+ending+the+entire

Edited by lastbreath
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Sir.Smoke said:

Not quite sure why you quoted me to ask a question and answer it yourself..
What's strange is people whining about the graphics being bad when it is obviously not maxed out in examples shown.

Less configuration options than past Codemasters titles, and there isn't even Trees or GI settings... 🤦‍♂️

image.png

Further analysis:

Confirmed LOW trees even in tracks with low overall count/density:image.thumb.png.61295f578b883bb610a0a55558b1d3d3.png
image.thumb.png.e471c7b0e3401968fd709764386b61eb.png
Burnt out clouds too.

Noticeable bad IQ in trees with transparency pattern:
image.png.9f8a9477a11fdb148197ae543c97ca7e.png

Bad lighting at sunset:
image.thumb.png.de639c0bad4702faa925a48a28460923.png

There is noticeable problems with this TAA solution:
image.thumb.png.c2f01acbd2d37210c1c90c2b923bca03.png

There is noticeable aliasing in many places:
image.thumb.png.38c71c49b3c82454574865ae6990e37e.png

image.png.2487d848595e0064bc6ce4ace994a462.png

image.thumb.png.b20deb328c23ecb3d9e68b62c22cba5f.png

A good TAA implementation should be able to fix all this problems. Check Alias Isolation, a FREE mod that adds TAA to Alien Isolation:

New 4K60 gameplay - R26 at Barcelona & Okutama GP

Lots of distracting tree LOD changes in your face. Thing is, you can clearly see the trees changing LOD very near to camera, but they don't change into a much better version, just different: different outline and volume, different branches...    so you see parts of the trees just "fade out" to the sky.

Same with shadows, lots of visible LOD changes very near to camera, plus low resolution overall and aliased/badly filtered:

image.thumb.png.f824a2a2b699fa9439af8ba12d5aa582.png

image.thumb.png.45255849be61d23853c332a509f5ea72.png

Which should look like this:
image.thumb.png.0a852a05071bd65af92d9b14838727a2.png

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 1