GRID Graphics Discussion

Great analysis! :classic_huh:

Post this at reddit in Codemasters section!

Edited by lastbreath

4 hours ago, jesped said:

New 4K60 gameplay - R26 at Barcelona & Okutama GP

Lots of distracting tree LOD changes in your face. Thing is, you can clearly see the trees changing LOD very near to camera, but they don't change into a much better version, just different: different outline and volume, different branches...    so you see parts of the trees just "fade out" to the sky.

Same with shadows, lots of visible LOD changes very near to camera, plus low resolution overall and aliased/badly filtered:

Yes in that video I can see it clearly now too. The LOD switch is basically 5 meters for shadows, and 25m for trees. Assassins Creed 2 style lol
So.. was this one developed for consoles ?

• Haha 1

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 2:46 AM, Ak1504 said:

Looks a bit like HDR footage looks on a non HDR Screen.

Nailed it. At gamescom there were a couple of mix-ups with capture settings, which led to a couple of videos being unrepresentative of the game's current graphics.

If you look at the hundreds of GRID and content creator capture sessions that are doing the rounds, you can tell the difference 🙂 We've just made a playlist on our YT channel which shows off some of the content highlights for GRID: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gLmPHCz3FQ&list=PLMSpz2yjS-XFFjA2-_qEI2VBiZCegxfDV 

Also worth keeping in mind that aspects like graphics will always be improved upon from work-in-progress builds, so the final product will look even better! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

Nailed it. At gamescom there were a couple of mix-ups with capture settings, which led to a couple of videos being unrepresentative of the game's current graphics.

If you look at the hundreds of GRID and content creator capture sessions that are doing the rounds, you can tell the difference 🙂 We've just made a playlist on our YT channel which shows off some of the content highlights for GRID: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gLmPHCz3FQ&list=PLMSpz2yjS-XFFjA2-_qEI2VBiZCegxfDV 

Also worth keeping in mind that aspects like graphics will always be improved upon from work-in-progress builds, so the final product will look even better! 

Some posts below that first one it was clarified that capture was from Xbox too, but it doesn't look much better on PC 4K60:image.thumb.png.348a4756bcb9b03f39c1af5ca0cd253a.png.
image.thumb.png.dd815be8627ecc9c1e9883a4fe66b899.png

Already watched all the videos in your playlist these past days. We've been posting from all this last batch of videos from "content creators", from PC Ultra, and even 4K60 captures.

@ChrisGrovesMCM Have you read the full thread and checked all the other examples?

Edited by jesped

3 hours ago, Sir.Smoke said:

Yes in that video I can see it clearly now too. The LOD switch is basically 5 meters for shadows, and 25m for trees. Assassins Creed 2 style lol
So.. was this one developed for consoles ?

I could understand some of these limitations on consoles, having to maintain 60fps an all, and understanding Codemasters budget and capabilities are not on par with powerhouses like Sony/Polyphony and Microsoft/Playground.

But...    what about the PC version?  it should be much more configurable and vastly superior. It looks mostly the same as consoles: same ugly trees, same lighting problems, same bad aliasing, same lack of real reflections, same lack of indirect illumination/GI, ...   all the problems mentioned in this entire thread.

And don't forget...  less than 1 month to release date. 🤷‍♂️
image.png

Edited by jesped

I want to remind a bit that a lot of GRID19 footage still looks really good, especially considering many of us will never see much of it for example because of cockpit cams. GRID: Autosport also has some areas in tracks that look off and something years older than what they actually is, but overall it's still a decent looking game, and I'd say GRID19 is like that as well.

We'll see what it'll be like when the game releases eventually. At least Steam users can then decide if they want to keep the game or not 🙂 

We just got to get the trees right, or just try so hard while driving that we barely see the walls of the track 😛 

17 minutes ago, jesped said:

Codemasters budget and capabilities are not on par with powerhouses like Sony/Polyphony and Microsoft/Playground

If Codemasters couldn't buy license for some cars like Ferrari or Lamborghini - I wouldn't complain, because it's a question of budget.

But they can't create normal trees and lightning. This is not budget problem. I even can't imagine what is the problem. And developers keep silence...

They always had top graphics. Till 2015. All began with Dirt Rally and cutting of water physics. Which was their pride in DiRT2.

Edited by lastbreath

33 minutes ago, UP100 said:

I want to remind a bit that a lot of GRID19 footage still looks really good, especially considering many of us will never see much of it for example because of cockpit cams.

You may not see much of it under certain conditions. 😂
image.png

33 minutes ago, UP100 said:

GRID: Autosport also has some areas in tracks that look off and something years older than what they actually is, but overall it's still a decent looking game, and I'd say GRID19 is like that as well.

Let's check again, side to side.

6 years old GRID 2:
20190906182420_1.jpg
20190906184011_1.jpg

5 years old GRID Autosport:
20190907130942_1.thumb.jpg.49509e5e05936261c379becaa9affadc.jpg

GRID 2019:
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png

🤦‍♂️

Edited by jesped
  • Sad 1

One solution could be... 🤔   just open GRID 2019 to modding on PC...    and we will fix it all ourselves. :classic_cool:👨‍💻

Image result for modding meme

It worked out pretty well for many different companies and games like Skyrim, GTA, The Witcher, Assetto Corsa...   right? 🤷‍♂️

Edited by jesped
  • Like 2

Just now, jesped said:

One solution could be... 🤔   open GRID 2019 to modding...    and we will fix it all ourselves. :classic_cool:👨‍💻

Image result for modding meme

It is a great solution, you can upgrade the trees so that they would look like new, and tune the graphics to more of your liking.

@[SRS13]Rastus You can also get drifting to work in this game (should Codemasters not include it)

But it can also lead to mods that allow people to acquire things the easy way, and some people who just grief (Ruin the multiplayer Experience for others) mod online. It has happened with Call of Duty, Halo (Reach and 4, they cannot mod 5 because the Xbox one doesn't run unsigned code), Battlefield, Basically any shooter game. It can also happen with grid if not implemented properly. I am not saying it can't work, It just needs to be properly executed.

14 minutes ago, CordedQuill42 said:

It is a great solution, you can upgrade the trees so that they would look like new, and tune the graphics to more of your liking.

@[SRS13]Rastus You can also get drifting to work in this game (should Codemasters not include it)

But it can also lead to mods that allow people to acquire things the easy way, and some people who just grief (Ruin the multiplayer Experience for others) mod online. It has happened with Call of Duty, Halo (Reach and 4, they cannot mod 5 because the Xbox one doesn't run unsigned code), Battlefield, Basically any shooter game. It can also happen with grid if not implemented properly. I am not saying it can't work, It just needs to be properly executed.

Not only the trees, everything could be fixed. Past Codemasters titles allowed modding for many things, even physics and handling. It wasn't Skyrim level of possibilities but at least it was something. Many things could be improved. That's how I made BayetasMod, which also included several mods from many other people.
Some time later, Codemasters stopped supporting modding.

I will be more than happy even if it's only for offline mode. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by jesped

4 minutes ago, jesped said:

Some time after Codemasters stopped supporting modding.

They can't support modding because they have DLCs to sell

• Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

They can't support modding because they have DLCs to sell

I think they announced GRID 2019 DLC's are going to be all free...    🤔

And modders usually don't go as far as to create perfect totally new cars and tracks. It's usually more improving what's already there and some weird experimenting on the side.

It has been working great for many other companies and games, why not Codemasters?

Edited by jesped

@jesped You kind of missed my point with Autosport. Some tracks at least have parts that made me actually think yesterday that I was running the lowest settings possible and not Ultra. I wasn't talking about the trees specifically 🙂 

20190916181332_1.thumb.jpg.92d637c66f1eacd5cde5d04a2db482d3.jpg

I think nothing looks like 2014 Ultra settings to me in this photo for instance. The blur by the steam photo encoding or something makes it actually look half decent.

4 minutes ago, jesped said:

I think they announced GRID 2019 DLC's are going to be all free... 

Noope. DLC will be paid, but all tracks are free and you can rent cars you don't own in multiplayer by just not getting as much money as you'd normally would and so on.

We had mod support in GRID 2 though with the DLC files being inaccessible 🙂 

34 minutes ago, UP100 said:

Noope. DLC will be paid, but all tracks are free and you can rent cars you don't own in multiplayer by just not getting as much money as you'd normally would and so on.

We had mod support in GRID 2 though with the DLC files being inaccessible 🙂 

So paid DLC will be only cars?

That could be a solution. Let them block what they wanna sell, but open the main game so we can fix all the rest.

Just now, jesped said:

So paid DLC will be only cars?

Paid DLC will be new career events, ability to pick your car and design its livery and so on I believe. I wrote it to the Insight club some time ago, so you can just follow the link in my signature.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, UP100 said:

@jesped You kind of missed my point with Autosport. Some tracks at least have parts that made me actually think yesterday that I was running the lowest settings possible and not Ultra. I wasn't talking about the trees specifically 🙂 

I think nothing looks like 2014 Ultra settings to me in this photo for instance. The blur by the steam photo encoding or something makes it actually look half decent.

Yeah, Grid Autosport had some problems too and it wasn't a top notch looker. But hey, those skies, clouds and trees look much much better than GRID 2019.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

Sorry guys, but someone had to do this...

:classic_ohmy: Damn. I didn't remember how much better those mountain rocks and trees looked like at this exact point. Even the typical japanese mountain fog banks look great. In GRID 2019 is just a flat effect.

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 2

This is weird, but for example, San-Francisco looks way better. While Okutama and Sidney Park are disgusting. I really don't know what to say...

Taking into account, that first GRID was released 11 years ago and how technological it was even then, till now we should have dynamic weather, day and night circle, real-time damage and photorealistic picture. Instead... We have what we have...

Edited by lastbreath
  • Agree 2

one small concerning factor is why dirt rally 2.0 looks vastly superior and next gen when compared to grid 2019 in terms of visual quality and polish with realistic shaders and accurate  reflections ...... pfff / best of codies = original grid 🙂 plus dirt 2 🙂 plus dirt rally 2.0 🙂 and one of the f1 games 🙂 i think ...... sorry but i have to say it RIP codies for putting out old dusty code. shame on you. Slightly mad studios has put out even more polished visuals than this .............................. really

Edited by 3dhotshot
  • Agree 1

Why do youv guys compare unfinished product with ready games? Probably YouTube movies are made based on some old builds. Wait for the release. In terms of gfx Codies dont usually dissapoint. 

8 minutes ago, Flowa23 said:

Why do youv guys compare unfinished product with ready games? Probably YouTube movies are made based on some old builds. Wait for the release. In terms of gfx Codies dont usually dissapoint. 

Read the full thread. This has been addressed many times already. They are not old builds, most videos are from a recent event where Codemasters invited Youtubers to do promotion of the game, they were told "it'd pretty much there, just a few bits to iron out"...    less than 1 month to release date.

image.png

I do agree some of the scenery looks blurred at this time, but they still have a few weeks to polish up the graphics and textures. You have to remember compression from You tube videos regarding some of the loss of detail on scenery. Most of these are running at only 480p or 1080p. (remember always to go to settings on you tube to get highest quality as it usually defaults to auto or 480p) I found these couple of videos which show some more detail. I have always found running a game on my PC or Console at 4K or 60FPS looks so much better than watching or recording on you tube.

p.s Some of the Evolution (DriveClub) team went to SMS (Project Cars) after Onrush.

Edited by torque99uk