GRID Graphics Discussion

8 hours ago, Flowa23 said:

In terms of gfx Codies dont usually dissapoint

Aren't DIRT Rally and Dirt 4 enough for you? Rally lost water physics and Dirt 4 lost realistic trees and lightning. Don't know about Rally 2.0 cause I've done with the series. Codies started to dissappoint in terms of gfx long time ago...

39 minutes ago, torque99uk said:

You have to remember compression from Youtube videos

There are many videos of racing games on youtube, but only GRID looks like ****. Doesn't youtube compress other videos? Only GRID ones?

And this is defintely not youtube fault:

image.png

• Agree 1

I don't think graphics can change a lot until release,  is true that  Okutama looks ugly in new Grid compare to older Grid 2/GAS  games and trees as well let's hope cm to fix this even after release with patch...

On the good side car's engine sound is way superior compare yo any other grid game,  cars sound angry and unique while in Grid 2 / GAS sounded boring and similar.. Also now cockpit wheel is beautiful enough(ok no comparison with Gt sport,  Pcars 2) but for sure an upgrade from Grid 1 and terrible low resolution / darken of GAS... 

So far in videos i have watched including official one from cm i am afraid damage model is downgraded even compare to Grid 2/GAS,  from what i understand wheels don't go off car something was standard in previous grid games and was dramatically effecting control of the car... 😞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lastbreath said:

There are many videos of racing games on youtube, but only GRID looks like ****.

Well especially F1 games suffer from YT's encoding.

38 minutes ago, Miatakias_GR said:

So far in videos i have watched including official one from cm i am afraid damage model is downgraded even compare to Grid 2/GAS

The only improvement in GRID2019 is cockpit. Everything else is downgraded AF, till 2008 level or even more!

UP100

Look I also want all these horrible downgraded visuals to be only youtube compressing, but I used to be a realist...

3 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

The only improvement in GRID2019 is cockpit. Everything else is downgraded AF, till 2008 level or even more!

Definitely not everything, as I bring you this amazing picture once again 😛

20190916181332_1.thumb.jpg.92d637c66f1eacd5cde5d04a2db482d3.jpg

Even on this picture you can see long draw distance, while in GRID everything is blurred in 20 meters ahead. Also you can see how detailed trees are, instead cardboxes from GRID.

Just think: why developers keep silence? They could easily come here and wright down: "guys, don't worry, this is alpha version, visuals will be updated, shadow will be improved, trees will be replaced, no need to panick". At least they could make a statement, smth like: "yes, we know the problems with visuals, we work with old engine/consoles, so we have limited resources, we'll try to compensate it with big variety of cars, tracks and good gameplay, stay cool". Like it was in 2013, when Loore, community admin, actively worked with audience.

But now there is no work with community at all, only with streamers, which say "how cool visuals are" and AT THIS SAME TIME bad shadows from the middle of 2000th are shown at the screen. So cringe...

Edited by lastbreath

55 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

Even on this picture you can see long draw distance, while in GRID everything is blurred in 20 meters ahead. Also you can see how detailed trees are, instead cardboxes from GRID.

I don't know how you can say that with a straight face. The draw distance is irrelevant when everything looks blurry, awful and so on anyways...

All games have these kinds of things that look awful, it just happens to be mostly trees in GRID19.

4 hours ago, UP100 said:

Definitely not everything, as I bring you this amazing picture once again 😛

20190916181332_1.thumb.jpg.92d637c66f1eacd5cde5d04a2db482d3.jpg

If I'm not mistaken this is Paris, which isn't present in GRID 2019.
It's not amazing, it's overcast and thus looks a bit dull. It is taken in a place where most interesting elements are in the background, and there is a lot of empty space. But...    sky looks good, it does not have burnt out clouds. Trees are detailed, even at that distance, and they don't look cartoonish. And it's a 5 years old game...

Now look at this, 5 years later...  🤷‍♂️
image.png

50 minutes ago, torque99uk said:

Graphics and Trees looking better in this trailer 😁 Click hd settings and play at 2160p hd

No, they don't:
image.thumb.png.c5df44cadf6908e879c26225378fc334.pngimage.thumb.png.c62fed3b5cce507317943a804b2779c6.png

They look the same, but with all that shaky cams, speedy angles, cuts every 2 seconds, and all that motion blur, you are not so aware of it.

It is a very good trailer, congrats to the people involved. But this is NOT gameplay, this is a scripted trailer specifically designed to pump you up with cinematic motion, fast cuts and trying to hide all the flaws clearly present in the real gameplay.

Trailers are never representative of gameplay, as they are doctored to output the best possible representation of the game despite any real gameplay limitations.
Same as Bullshots (fake screenshots), which Codemasters is famous for. For example,  GRID Autosport never looked this good:
Image result for codemasters bullshots

This is GRID 2019 4K60 gameplay:

This:
image.png
image.png
image.png

Edited by jesped

Frankly speaking, this last trailer really looks better, for example LOD for trees is definitely increased:

ghgh.thumb.png.eaf0ef497d13e04f4eb1abaf63c9114e.pngfj.png.10ce1ab71182fee7aa4824ca671033d5.png

But they still can't be compared with trees from GRID2/Autosport.

Edited by lastbreath
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, torque99uk said:

Graphics and Trees looking better in this trailer

By the way, where did you get a link for this trailer? It's hidden. You spoiled presentation of a new trailer! ))

1 hour ago, lastbreath said:

Frankly speaking, this last trailer really looks better, for example LOD for trees is definitely increased:

But they still can't be compared with trees from GRID2/Autosport.

Again, that is NOT gameplay.

When I see a gameplay video with better trees or any of the other listed problems fixed, I won't have any problem saying so and congratulating Codemasters and the GRID team for improving and fixing all these on the edge of release. 🤷‍♂️

Meanwhile, this is what we have. GRID 2019 on the left, GRID Autosport 2014 on the right. I even applied a Blur filter to the GAS shot for a better chance of comparision:

image.png.3061d4ef4522e6c17daf0d88330bbdca.png

Edited by jesped

57 minutes ago, torque99uk said:

they decided for detailed rain over scenery

And what to do when rain is over? To look at PS2 graphics? ))

59 minutes ago, torque99uk said:

The big reason I think has to do with weather and rain

Codemasters should explain that, not you. Community work is top notch!

6 years old game, 60fps with less than half the cpu/gpu power we have today:

GRID 2's Brands Hatch no HUD real gameplay
BayetasMod 0.7 - Brands Hatch

Looks at those trees, those clouds and that sky.

GRID 2's Barcelona sunset, this is good lighting
Barcelona_Day_Columbus_Fairlady.jpg

GRID 2's Okutama, look at that rock wall
BayetasMod 0.5 - Japan - Alfa Romeo C4

GRID 2's Miami, look at those detailed palmtrees and shrubs, good indirect illumination and good SOFT shadows
GRID2_Gameplay_Ford_Mustang_Mach1_BayetasMod_CAM_Extreme_Immersive_Full_TrackIR5_60fps_03.jpg

Now...   GRID 2019, DX12 only, 100GB HDD space
image.png
image.png

🤷‍♂️

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, jesped said:

6 years old game, 60fps with less than half the cpu/gpu power we have today:

GRID 2's Brands Hatch no HUD real gameplay
BayetasMod 0.7 - Brands Hatch

Looks at those trees, those clouds and that sky.

GRID 2's Barcelona sunset, this is good lighting
Barcelona_Day_Columbus_Fairlady.jpg

GRID 2's Okutama, look at that rock wall
BayetasMod 0.5 - Japan - Alfa Romeo C4

GRID 2's Miami, look at those detailed palmtrees and shrubs, good indirect illumination and good SOFT shadows
GRID2_Gameplay_Ford_Mustang_Mach1_BayetasMod_CAM_Extreme_Immersive_Full_TrackIR5_60fps_03.jpg

Now...   GRID 2019, DX12 only, 100GB HDD space
image.png
image.png

🤷‍♂️

Come on this is so biased... At least every street track in GAS looks absolutely terrible except if the sun is there to make everything look a bit decent.

11 minutes ago, UP100 said:

At least every street track in GAS looks absolutely terrible

Absolutely terrible - you obviously overreact. Because they looks stunning for 2014. Especially in GRID2 for 2013.

Just now, lastbreath said:

Absolutely terrible - you obviously overreact. Because they looks stunning for 2014. Especially in GRID2 for 2013.

I also think you guys overreact. There is no GRID game out there that wouldn't have the kinds of issues you guys are constantly pointing out about GRID19. Sure trees may be better in older games, but GAS at least suffers with low quality textures, low quality models, objects jumping into the area you can see, clear jumps to higher quality objects and so on.

Feel free to share images of stuff that looks bad in GRID19 so that the team can take a look at them, but I don't see the point in "comparing" the graphics with another title when we will pick the best of those games, and the worst of this one 🙂 

We'll most likely be able to overwrite the graphics to some point. We'll see on launch.

1 hour ago, UP100 said:

Come on this is so biased... At least every street track in GAS looks absolutely terrible except if the sun is there to make everything look a bit decent.

What? some tracks like Paris had a bit of excessive contrast too, but far from "absolutely terrible", specially for a 2014 title:
GRID_Autosport-41.jpg (1920×1080)

GRID 2 looked very good in 2013:
GRID-2-Drift-2.jpg (1280×720)
maxresdefault.jpg (1280×720)

But wait, even Race Driver GRID, back in 2008, 11 years ago, looked this great:
hoo-wai-khinn-shibuya-2.jpg (1680×1050)hoo-wai-khinn-shibuya-3.jpg (1680×1050)

TBH, the most notable improvement are the cars.

Edited by jesped

5 hours ago, lastbreath said:

GRID (2019) Vs Grid Autosport (2014) Direct PC Comparison

Great comparision, but something is wrong with his shadows in GAS. It's not normal they are flashing like that.

On the other hand, there goes another detail that is much better in GAS: Camera shaking and rolling on curves. It makes the experience much more immersive, with a greater sense of speed and danger.
GRID 2019 has a rigid camera, like it's attached to the cockpit instead of the Driver's head. This should be at least an option: Camera Shake On/Off or a strength slider.

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 3

Thanks God, they made an option for camera shaking in GAS. It was so annoying in GRID2 I had to download camera mod to switch it off ))

58 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

Thanks God, they made an option for camera shaking in GAS. It was so annoying in GRID2 I had to download camera mod to switch it off ))

Codemasters should allow modding again. So many things could be improved...   👨‍💻

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbFPKwdoV-nf6bxZkNkRIHLrQM1SzyakH-xawrPJvFXNSbvfTdRQ

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 1

Cameras don't need much of a shake effect, but they are definitely lacking some movement and thus have no proper dynamics.

GRID 2 and Autosport always had some spectacular lighting, but if the above comparisons don't open your eyes to how bad the new game looks then nothing will.

• trees that appear to be unlit
  • hard shadows with a low resolution even in close range
  • environment reflections are static cubemaps
  • exposure / eye adaption is way too dark

I can't wrap my head around some of your arguments. How can you disregard this level of sloppiness with something like "pick the best of those games, and the worst of this one"? And even if that was the case, it wouldn't even make much of a difference because the best this game offers is simply not good enough.

• Agree 1