GRID Graphics Discussion

One thing I'm happy to see is sun glare with dirt on the windscreen. I think this is a new for Codemasters.

But they should include SSR, dirt (not just on the glare) and reflective windscreens like Driveclub:

andrew-bolt-photo0043.jpg?1542153764

GT Sport:
maxresdefault.jpg

Forza:
7h6gLDF.jpg (3838×2142)

Forza Horizon:
image.thumb.png.6ed254d9873d7e2fd186ab8aea21a249.png

Assetto Corsa:
screenshot_mclaren_mp412c_gt3_spa_28-1-2015-15-53-32-jpg.79454 (1810×1018)

and many others.

Just look at how much more realistic the old Assetto Corsa looks with that reflective and dirty windscreen. 

Edited by jesped
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LottaLava said:

I want to see a heavy storm, thunder storm, snow chaotic gameplay!

You mean like this? :classic_smile:

Driveclub_Storm.gif

Driveclub_Storm_2.gif

Driveclub_Storm_3.gif

Driveclub_Snow.gif

Edited by jesped
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

From https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/42721-grid-essentials-get-your-heart-racing-trailer/ ( Regarding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0heNr-pve0 )

Yup. That's how a trailer works. 🙂 You stated that the game was "not representative of real gameplay", which is not the case. Sure, there are camera angles which won't be used in gameplay - we don't think a camera angle looking towards the front of the car, or 50 metres into the environment, would be that useful to players 🙂

Not "the game", the trailer. As I clarified later, "representative" may be a debatable/subjective term, but "real gameplay" is not. That trailer is not real gameplay, and I agree, "that's how a trailer works". The fast motion, camera angles, quick 1-2 seconds edit cuts and the heavy use of motion blur everywhere (which helps a lot hiding aliasing, bad textures, bad lighting and shadows, ...) makes it almost impossible for the eye and the brain to pick up details. It's a "music video" or a Michael Bay-esque action style that works pretty well as a presentation, but that's not how the game looks when you are playing it. It's not just different camera angles.

It just shows some cherry-picked good parts and avoids showing any of the bad ones, while both are present in real gameplay. According to this new trailer, it seems there is no pop-in/visible LOD changes in textures, geometry and/or shadows anymore, like we have seen in many of the released gameplay videos before. If that is really representative of "real gameplay" now, congratulations, hope this gets confirmed with new real gameplay videos too.

Edited by jesped

game has never looked this good as on this video without mentioning the graphics issues highlighted here which i agree for the most part especially the over saturated colors and excessive lighting and also over blurred background environment that affect mostly the details and shapes of trees ..cockpit view bad lighting vision kind of look cool to me though as if you are piloting a spaceship...sorry for my english    

Edited by RedHrm

Even from a softened/blurred YT video, there's still very visible aliasing problems.

image.thumb.png.6ffd272bf423f344f96323961d485f7f.png

But still the worst aspects are the oversaturated colors and the overexposed lighting in some places:
image.thumb.png.0ba7dbb866ebb7d50ab831f869844988.png
image.thumb.png.5e8852518b75ff8e3622a8536de74774.png
image.thumb.png.d1d1d6227723550a6129e66dc70e70b1.png

And underexposed in others, all in the same track.

image.thumb.png.eb8696101b580508c75c12868d68c027.png 
image.thumb.png.7c3ca3e6ba00a43503a7a7477e184d88.png

This is clearly wrong, and should be fixed.

Edited by jesped
  • Agree 2

something to look forward i guess       

Edited by RedHrm

In Havana the sky is absolutely white because of high contrast DD

But I guess it's still the old "limited" build.

Edited by lastbreath
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, jesped said:

I just don't get why tracks like Sepang look this cartoonishly bad in GRID 2019:
image.thumb.png.7d565350f343d9382bb1bf4e99a0343c.png

While they look this realistically good in F1 2016, 3 years agohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mFqu5TTPcE

image.thumb.png.22bf7c05b4c8921c1f6805aa19787db7.png

Or this good in F1 2017, 2 years agohttps://youtu.be/ogWnN3RGd5Q
image.thumb.png.f39bf7bf9ea6f4ddcd92b0a47a0b2c73.png

It doesn't make any sense... 🤦‍♂️

I think its looks great with the bright blue sky it looks cool 👌👍

27 minutes ago, ELITE-Team-Solo said:

I think its looks great with the bright blue sky it looks cool 👌👍

Real Sepang:
26-FC-APAC-Sepang-Race-2.jpg
image.png
chan_hrt_sepa_2010.jpg
2017-Sepang-F1-Grand-Prix.jpg

GRID 2019 Sepang...

image.pngimage.png

tenor.gif?itemid=7808508

Edited by jesped
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, RedHrm said:

game has never looked this good as on this video without mentioning the graphics issues highlighted here which i agree for the most part especially the over saturated colors and excessive lighting and also over blurred background environment that affect mostly the details and shapes of trees ..cockpit view bad lighting vision kind of look cool to me though as if you are flying a spaceship...sorry for my english    

Taken from the XBox 1 as He mentions (Hence the detail level being fairly low vs PC). I watched it at 1440p (it almost balances YT compression, giving a better idea what 1080P will actually look like).

I think some of these issues are because it's Xbox gameplay but running on an HDR screen which WOULD cause some of the issues like oversauration and the shadow darkness. 

HDR forced on a non HDR screen would be too bright and also not able to display HDR standards for shadows BOTH at the same time, also contrast would be over the top and light bleed could lead to sudden pop in (Like the F1 car race at Sepang, the framework holding the canopys over the crowd suddenly pops into existance because the sky is way too bright) and even blurring (Like it's out of focus).

GAS had a hi res pack at launch, I hope this is what the pre-launch vids are, essentially the same thing and the delay was to stop any day 1 50GB update so the WHOLE game pre-loads unlike we've seen elsewhere.

If the pre-launch vids are forced into Xbox level settings (even when played on PC, GFX settings would be incapable of pushing better detail as it wasn't included at that time). We could indeed see big or even HUGE steps visually and the irritations become irrelevent on the hard ware each of us actually own and play on.

Here's to hoping.....

2 hours ago, [SRS13]Rastus said:

Taken from the XBox 1 as He mentions (Hence the detail level being fairly low vs PC). I watched it at 1440p (it almost balances YT compression, giving a better idea what 1080P will actually look like).

All my captures are from the highest quality available. 1440p in this case.

I think some of these issues are because it's Xbox gameplay but running on an HDR screen which WOULD cause some of the issues like oversauration and the shadow darkness. 

I don't think so. That was the problem with the Okutama video that started this thread, but it is the only one. It can be checked by comparing the red tone in the gauge from that "bad hdr" video, which is more like an orange, with the normal red that it is in the rest of the videos.

image.png.f1806136356d4c608ade8f350663eb40.png

These are not HDR problems, but bad lighting, tonemapping, color and exposure adjustments, etc:
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png

If the pre-launch vids are forced into Xbox level settings (even when played on PC, GFX settings would be incapable of pushing better detail as it wasn't included at that time). We could indeed see big or even HUGE steps visually and the irritations become irrelevent on the hard ware each of us actually own and play on.

What? where does that info comes from? some youtubers said they played console versions, but others specifically stated they played a PC version with all settings maxed on Ultra, and showed proof of it:
image.png

There's even a 4K60 gameplay video. What would be the point of crippling a PC version to Xbox limitations and fake a Ultra menu settings?  to show a worst version?

Not to rain on your parade, but all this is just wishful weak reasoning. You're not gonna see HUGE improvements for release, you're gonna see "few bits ironed out", as the developers themselves told the youtubers they invited to the London event.

GRID Autosport had a HD texture pack for cars only, not any other element.

This is taken from the Okutama part of yesterday's 4K trailer:
image.thumb.png.c5df44cadf6908e879c26225378fc334.pngimage.png

And still looks far worse than GRID 2's Okutama, 6 years ago:
BayetasMod_05_Japan_06.jpg

Edited by jesped

46 minutes ago, jesped said:

What? where does that info comes from? some youtubers said they played console versions, but others specifically stated they played a PC version with all settings maxed on Ultra, and showed proof of it:

IF the pre launch vids, IF, not Me saying they ARE. Pure speculation but I'm suggestiung that as with Autosport the GRID version we've seen was a basic version minus the higher gfx setting data. then that COULD (not DOES) COULD account for some or many of the aberations. eg the UI is there showing the "Ultra" settings but switching to ultra does nothing as the data for those settings are not yet applied to the gamefiles...

If this is the case it's a bit of a backfire and tbh there should have been delays to show allow them to show a more finished product. I just hope it's better than GAS visuals at launch anywhere near Apex visuals and I'll eat a huge slab of humble pie but till then I'm still deeply concerned..

Forza Apex pic.PNG

Hmm, I can't believe how a company who has such a strong reputation for high quality presentation would actually allow standards to slip this low. I'm busy playing Autosport at the moment (it's launch timing collided with my purchase of an XB1 so I never got to play it on X360) and the more I play it the more I can't escape the feeling that all Codemasters seem to have done is take the original content of Autosport, added some lighting, upscaled the resolution and rebranded it as Grid 2019. Almost like they've had to shovel out something cheap and cheerful in order to balance the books for the financial year.

All well and good because we've all played a Grid game in some way, shape or form and deep down we're all rather partial to what it brings to the table, but when you consider that I paid £4.00 for my copy of Autosport and also take into account that Grid 2019 is neither updating it's predecessor to present day standards nor improving on base content then you really do have to question the benefits of paying £55 and upwards for a game that seems to bring nothing extra to the table.

When Grid 2019 was announced I was super excited because I just saw Racedriver Grid with Dirt Rally-esque visuals but sadly all i'm seeing now is, well, something that just isn't Codemasters. Thankfully though, i'm super happy with Autosport (anyone who has never played it should give it some serious consideration) and will happily wait until Grid's inevitable inclusion on gamepass.

Grid 2019 is by no stretch of the imagination a £54.95 game and Codemasters should be ashamed for thinking it is. What on earth has happened to you?  

• Agree 2

New gameplay from the full game on PC, with Review code provided by Codemasters:

Sorry to disappoint you, but almost nothing is changed. Same oversaturation and ugly color grading.

Same bad aliasing problems:
image.png.ddee2a79e7f8186f186ecd7991ba3e01.pngimage.png.ea21d13f4537ad69bc312f8d70e8a36c.png

Same $hitty trees:
image.thumb.png.7026342fed3fc65b309da3caf9884c26.pngimage.thumb.png.34c6f7e55d0ec0d82857b2fa46b8ad55.pngimage.thumb.png.36eb858491788e527de352758a3df07d.pngimage.thumb.png.a3ec28578159249c87a5132688d434d7.pngimage.thumb.png.f06c485fd81e462731a60d46b5811497.png

Same LOD pop-ins in your face that doesn't match the same volume/outline and fade in from the sky:image.thumb.png.b1a26509007516eae377454834aeb4f1.png

Same short distance Shadows pop-in:
image.thumb.png.72c8d9c63d60b8d65b1626e384c9ee3e.png

Same fake reflections:
image.png.a6929175f5715678b377d04b1b59a30c.png

Same lack of Eye Adaptation/Automatic Exposure in dark areas like tunnels:image.thumb.png.0a310c73cf6457e3cf420cfa0070a195.png

Honestly, the only improvement I can see so far is a bit better contrast/default exposure in San Francisco sunset and night. 🤷‍♂️

But even that is not really fixed, even in daytime:
image.thumb.png.4779cdd873fff6c286d302af7dc61a26.png
image.thumb.png.d7aa83ea1bbf63c5b01ee3c59acfa7bd.png

Remember: this is PC, full game with a Review code.

Besides visuals, the game's sense of speed is totally lacking. I think it has to do with the cameras being so static. It reminds you more of Gran Turismo, where they should have much more dynamism instead, like all the previous GRIDs had.

Edited by jesped

Well...   at least the windscreen is reflecting the dash. 👍

image.png.6333c4b4ead71f6e671307fc450ef4fc.png

Edited by jesped

3 minutes ago, jesped said:

Well...   at least the windscreen is reflecting the dash. 👍

image.png.6333c4b4ead71f6e671307fc450ef4fc.png

Yes but that's uncomfortably undriveable without polaroids :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Loggy said:

Yes but that's uncomfortably undriveable without polaroids 🙂

😂

The effect here is very subtle, it's not near as strong as in GT Sport or Forzas.

Edited by jesped

Trees in original GRID 2008:

1481377383_grid2019-09-2100-11-39-96.thumb.png.a0f252da12cf96861102235c0f66a83f.png710799675_grid2019-09-2100-09-26-20.thumb.png.8a518d9905898640e2997d096db379c2.png

Trees in GRID 2019:

187277872_.png.6cb8f2b83fcce1f671e9a34842797fec.png

giphy.gif.43ad4d900e2f7115779acc0ea0a12c36.gif

This is FINISH

Edited by lastbreath
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

Trees in original GRID 2008:

Trees in GRID 2019:

Disappointment.gif

Edited by jesped

And the last nail in the GRID2019 coffin: THERE WAS WIND IN GRID 2008!!! I couldn't believe my eyes but this was true! Now look at the rainy weather in GRID2019 and absolutely static trees...

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, lastbreath said:

And the last nail in the GRID2019 coffin: THERE WAS WIND IN GRID 2008!!! I couldn't believe my eyes but this was true! 

Very_Cool_2.gif

Edited by jesped
  • Disagree 2