Why GRID 2019 looks so bad?

Posted (edited)

This game is looking more and more "last gen" or like a mobile game. This Okutama Hill Climb scenery looks horrible...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe2_sGhmj4Q

hfVDkxd.png

Blurry low res textures, lighting is flat and fake, trees look like cutout paper, rock walls lack any specular, like dull cardboard, shadows LOD jumping in front of your eyes, no Eye Adaptation effect for tunnels and dark areas... 

A "DX12 only" title and this is the result?

I'm not even comparing with Forzas, GT Sport, ACC...   this same track looked much better in Grid 2, SIX YEARS AGO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcm8Y1y9vdg

z49RArO.png

What happened to Code"masters"?  no money left to pay devs after paying Fernando Alonso? :classic_wacko:

Edited by jesped
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

This last batch of Gamescom videos look off compared to previous ones for sure.I know devs like to show stuff on high end PC which I guess is what has been shown up to now.If this is what it looks like on console then that is certainly a lot poorer....no idea what system this is from though.

Posted (edited)

Looks a bit like HDR footage looks on a non HDR Screen.

Edited by Ak1504

Posted (edited)

He might have a greatly lowered graphic setting than normal at his home than at games com. So you need to understand that, before jumping the gun and saying this game has mobile level of quality. We need to look at the Gameplay.

Good graphics does not equal Great game. Yes I know, we expect every game to have great graphics, but great examples of great games with not so good graphics are:

Ford Racing (1, 2, and 3) (The game that was ahead of its time [And Allowed other racing games to be made after them, mind you])

Need For Speed Most Wanted (2005 in particular, the 2012 version isn't that bad despite the cut content [EA])

Race Driver Grid (We all know this one :classic_cool:, Only Game that I cannot practically find without searching gamestop or Ebay)

Edited by CordedQuill42
Forgot even more stuff

Game releases Oct 10... 1 month from release isn't going to make it radically different from this. Even if they put the full month to fix this track only.

On 8/30/2019 at 3:04 PM, CordedQuill42 said:

He might have a greatly lowered graphic setting than normal at his home than at games com. So you need to understand that, before jumping the gun and saying this game has mobile level of quality. We need to look at the Gameplay.

It's a PC gaming channel with all kinds of videos, don't think he's setting the quality on "low".

On 8/30/2019 at 3:04 PM, CordedQuill42 said:

Good graphics does not equal Great game. Yes I know, we expect every game to have great graphics, but great examples of great games with not so good graphics are:

Ford Racing (1, 2, and 3) (The game that was ahead of its time)

Need For Speed Most Wanted (2005 in particular, the 2012 version isn't that bad despite the cut content [EA])

Race Driver Grid (We all know this one :classic_cool:, Only Game that I cannot practically find without searching gamestop or Ebay)

Don't know about Ford Racing, but both NFS Most Wanted and Race Driver Grid had great visuals for their time.

Other tracks don't look as bad, but a lot of the problems are similar: yellow tint, flat lighting in sunny areas and too dark in shadow areas, lack of indirect illumination, low res blurry shadows and textures, moire and bad AA (I asume no TAA then, unlike Dirt Rally 2)... and this from a PC "DX12 only" version... *facepalm*

It just doesn't look up to today's standards. Looks ugly and dated.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jesped said:

It's a PC gaming channel with all kinds of videos, don't think he's setting the quality on "low".

If his channel is mostly on PC, then why does the gameplay come from console? (On the pre race screen for the race of the video it clearly comes from an Xbox One)

Don't know about Ford Racing, but both NFS Most Wanted and Race Driver Grid had great visuals for their time.

Ford Racing was on Original Xbox and Play Station 2. And it had great gameplay despite having only fords. Need For Speed: Most Wanted and Race Driver Grid had sub par visuals (Yellow filter), but both games sold well.

and this from a PC "DX12 only" version... *facepalm*

Again, this is from the Xbox One, not the PC.

Edited by CordedQuill42
Can't say anymore due to how long the post would've been otherwise.

1 hour ago, CordedQuill42 said:

Again, this is from the Xbox One, not the PC.

The buttons just mean you are using an xbox controller, which most PC users do. I don't think Codemasters gave access to console versions, but PC.

Posted (edited)

They destroyed water and trees in Rally series, now's GRID turn...

This is how 6 years of technical evolution look like:

Безымянный.png

Edited by lastbreath
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jesped said:

The buttons just mean you are using an xbox controller, which most PC users do. I don't think Codemasters gave access to console versions, but PC.

Any more info on that? It might be captured from games com. So it might have came from console. There is no evidence of a PC version being used at games com.

Posted (edited)

It would be nice if some PR worker explains the situation

For example, where is the suspension? :classic_laugh:

Edited by lastbreath
  • Like 1
  • Disagree 1

17 minutes ago, CordedQuill42 said:

Any more info on that? It might be captured from games com. So it might have came from console. There is no evidence of a PC version being used at games com.

I don't have exact evidence but it is what makes more sense. The devs would want to show the best version of their game, not the worst...     there's been even cases before where a game being "sold" as a console version was in fact running on hidden PC's camouflaged on the booths.

Thing is...   even for a Xbox One or PS4 title this looks really bad. And one month left to release is not going to make it much better. Besides the visuals, there's been talks of plenty of bugs plaguing the game that shouldn't be there at this stage, so close to release.
IMHO, the game release should be delayed again and pushed back enough to make it right.

The author of the video confirmed it was from Xbox.

Posted (edited)

Tagging Community manager @ChrisGrovesMCM to explain and sort this out. I understand a final polish is in place, but visuals have to be taken a look at before this game launches.

How long should this game be delayed?

Edited by CordedQuill42
Even More info.

I Always said the perfect game would be GRID1 remastered. 

The same identical game (everything the same, menu structure, lobby, features like text chat and spectator mode, damage model, drift, demo derby etc).

Just a f0c5ing awesome graphic upgrade with some top engine and just add new car and new tracks !!!

How long can take a work like that ?? Codies should do just that. And win the lottery !!!

Insted NO they have to mess around with this brand… 

• Like 1
  • Disagree 3

So, I decided to refresh my memory and installed GRID2.

Now look at the trees:

20190906182040_1.thumb.jpg.4ce217a04aecb2e967bd311bf76d15a3.jpg20190906182420_1.thumb.jpg.139e9c077e0529bc43fb8399b0c4aaf9.jpg20190906184011_1.thumb.jpg.25bc174af01fcb2f56991212665e9dee.jpg20190906184235_1.thumb.jpg.676d56ba1aeb5f13065cebfc76751f61.jpg

And now launch any GRID2019 gameplay video...

Edited by lastbreath
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Damn...   even the skies look much better in GRID 2. :classic_wacko:

Seriously...    what the fudge happened!?

Edited by jesped
  • Disagree 1

4 hours ago, jesped said:

Damn...   even the skies look much better in GRID 2. :classic_wacko:

Seriously...    what the fudge happened!?

@lastbreath

@jesped

You two need to consider the positives and the negatives, not just the negatives. That is called Constructive Criticism. What you guys are doing is Destructive Criticism, just focusing on the bad parts and showing the cold shoulder to the good.

Reason: Just take a look at your posts. And go ahead, Call me a Codemasters Fanboy.

This post below is my original response. (I will be using this version if you try to twist it)

Grid 2019 videos in the past have better graphics than the video you originally used. Just check out game riot's latest video on Grid 2019, This had Much better Graphics than the Tommy T99 videos. The official Grid Game Videos about the latest game had better graphics, too. Especially the newest video on Sydney Park. Next, what you showed in comparison was a modified version of Grid 2 (A mod that improved the graphics). This is not a good video to compare to. Lastly, Good Graphics are not equal to Great Gameplay. Do you realize that Gran Turismo 4 Is a great game, Better than Gran Turismo Sport for some people? How about Forza Motorsport 3 is better on gameplay than Forza Motorsport 7 for most people? Both Gran Turismo 4 and Forza motorsport 3 pale in comparison of graphics to their latest games, and still have a loyal fan base that prefers them over the modern games.

All in all, you two will need to rethink your strategy, and then try again with a valid argument on why this games "horrible graphics" will cause this game to fail. Respond in any manner you see appropriate.

Edited by CordedQuill42
For the first time on this forum, I am very upset. Editing to prevent a future posting restriction

There is no "strategy", dude. :classic_dry:
Nobody said the horrible graphics "will cause this game to fail"...   that is a straw man of your own making.

BayetasMod for GRID 2 is a mod that mainly features interior cameras and new physics. It doesn't radically alter the visuals. And 
@lastbreath captures are from vanilla version.

We are just pointing out that, 6 years later, GRID 2019 has worse visuals in many aspects than GRID 2.

The post is titled "Why GRID 2019 looks so bad?" and thus we are talking about VISUALS here...    what is so hard to understand about that?

Your efforts to derail the question to gameplay or any other aspects we can't discuss until we can try the game for ourselves have nothing to do with VISUALS, which always are a fundamental part of IMMERSION, which a lot of people are interested in when playing a racing game.

Dirt Rally 2 is visually a HUGE improvement over Dirt Rally 1, which is a 2015 game, not a 2013 game like GRID 2.

GRID 2019 should look vastly superior to GRID 2, again, a game from 2013. But it doesn't, it looks worse in many aspects, pure and simple.
If you don't care that's alright. If somebody else stating this opinion makes you upset, you have only yourself to blame.

Edited by jesped
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

https://twitter.com/i/status/1168504162528694272

I'm not sure if this twitter thread has been linked before but the city night lighting looks fantastic, shadows, reflections etc and on par with Dirt2 and F1 2019 having them on PC. I think it will look great and not worried about the graphics at all seeing all the latest clips. 👌

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, CordedQuill42 said:

The official Grid Game Videos about the latest game had better graphics, too. Especially the newest video on Sydney Park

Ok, let's see

1796861470_Untitled-3.thumb.jpg.7f01d69a7f1df8365eb657f40da4133f.jpg

Dat trees... This is not even GRID2 level! Surrounding is still in 2008. This is ridiculous!

Edited by lastbreath
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1