Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Our Wheel Settings - Direct from the Car Handling Team

mesa said:
Use FFB patch (google it) and set Wheel weight to zero. This is the most important thing.
Tha car handling will be different, close to be good as in case of RBR.

Except Self Aligning Torque is not present. This is the all important, first FFB effect you must implement, for any driving simulator. I can't stress this enough; without it, this is not a sim.

You tell us not to edit the steering config files and paths file but I have an AccuForce wheel and unless I do I cannot use it -  a guy named Richard from the simx forums made a very good edited file which makes our wheel work HOWEVER because Codemasters decided to check such files I cannot now save my career progress.  So the option is to use that file and have no savegame or let codemasters delete the file and I cannot use my wheel !

Seriously guys this needs more consideration as the whole premise of a driving/rally game relies entirely on the input device and if I cannot use my own wheel then what is the god-damned use of it !!!! 

Sorry but between  this and your apparent total disregard to fix the Oculus Rift VR problems I am not very impressed.  You ask for feedback but only listen to the feedback that suits you - or that is how it appears.

You tell us not to edit the steering config files and paths file but I have an AccuForce wheel and unless I do I cannot use it -  a guy named Richard from the simx forums made a very good edited file which makes our wheel work HOWEVER because Codemasters decided to check such files I cannot now save my career progress.  So the option is to use that file and have no savegame or let codemasters delete the file and I cannot use my wheel !

Seriously guys this needs more consideration as the whole premise of a driving/rally game relies entirely on the input device and if I cannot use my own wheel then what is the god-damned use of it !!!! 

Sorry but between  this and your apparent total disregard to fix the Oculus Rift VR problems I am not very impressed.  You ask for feedback but only listen to the feedback that suits you - or that is how it appears.
Dude the early access has only been out for less than 2 weeks, so have some god damned patience while things get sorted and fixed. 

What is is it with people wanting everything instantly these days?! 

mesa said:
Use FFB patch (google it) and set Wheel weight to zero. This is the most important thing.
Tha car handling will be different, close to be good as in case of RBR.

Hi Mesa,
can you give me more detail on FFB patch?

There's a clear list of the supported devices in the FAQ. A quick look shows AccuForce isn't on that list, but that doesn't mean it won't ever be. As far as not being able to save with an edited file, maybe try playing on Online Leagues instead of career? Either way, this is another post of your where you come in and start having a fit because CM aren't developing a game based solely around what you want personally. No one has said "Rift will never be supported, we don't care, and we're not adding more supported wheels," they just have many other things to deal with too.

(however 270-400 is the sweet spot) 

That doesn't sound very Sim to me  :(
TO be fair, rally cars do tend to have a quicker rack than your average tarmac race car. HOWEVER 200 is silly 400 on the other hand is actually believeable.

@Rallycameraman and Flukhound - Really I don't care that you don't like me pointing out 2 very big and very obvious problems that are affecting many wishing to play the early access. For starters the devs have stated in numerous posts to give them Feedback, so while it might not be praise to your liking it is feedback re problems.  I understand the AF issue as not many have the wheel however a profile was made for it by another user which actually helps Codies out yet the penalty for doing that is you cannot save your game, makes no sense, it is not a cheat.  As for the issue with the Oculus Rift, yeah I am pretty annoyed about that as many are, namely because they touted the game as having working VR yet it doesn't. No big deal as it should be able to be fixed, however any mention of it gets totally ignored whilst other issues have the devs at the very least making a comment about it - so that is what annoys me and others, because it was a stated feature at the point of sale. So if your happy with everything then great for you, wonderful !

I just got this game after hearing it's supposed to be the RB Rally 2.0. Well my first impressions is it's a absolutely stunning looking game with poor wheel support.  I understand it's an earlier access so I will give you some slack on that. 

I'm' using the Fanatec CSR wheel with Pedals and I feel like I'm driving one of those cars at the amusement park and the wheel slops from side to side and the steel rail keeps me on track. It's all mush in the middle and I will get some resistance with wide turns of the wheel. If I hit brakes the little feeling of  FB I get diminishes and just add to the slop in the middle. I can throw the wheel side to side about 2 to 3 inches whiles I'm driving and still drive in a straight line that's how much mush there is in the middle.

Please fix the Fanatec wheels. Also just like in the other Dirt games on the Fanatec Wheel  it likes to change views by itself after hitting certain bumps. It's the game making the change not me hitting the button either, because I changed the mapping away from my hands and like I said this was a problem for me in other dirt games with my Fanatec wheel. All three Dirt versions and now this one seems to of inherited the problem.

Where and how can i download ffb patch? I need help from someone with knowledge. 

Sincerely

They have listened, it appears you haven't read the thread entitled "Please Indicate What Wheel You Have"

It's possible some of the harder to get hold of wheels such as the Accuforce might take a little longer as we'll need to talk to the manufacturer. I also can't promise we'll tick every single one of these off the list but I can promise we'll do our best to."

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/5830/please-indicate-what-wheel-you-have/p1 (the comment is on page 3.)

Mate there is no FFB patch at the moment but supposed to be one worked on.  There is a FFB tweak that changes the .xml file but the problem with that and any other edit to the files related to steering wheels such as input/paths.xml is that once it is modified you are locked out from saving the game, so it ends up being more problem than it is worth.

FlakHound said:

There's a clear list of the supported devices in the FAQ. A quick look shows AccuForce isn't on that list, but that doesn't mean it won't ever be. As far as not being able to save with an edited file, maybe try playing on Online Leagues instead of career? Either way, this is another post of your where you come in and start having a fit because CM aren't developing a game based solely around what you want personally. No one has said "Rift will never be supported, we don't care, and we're not adding more supported wheels," they just have many other things to deal with too.
I'm not sure have you thought this issue any closer. It seems like an unbelieveable design choice from the devs which is not possible to fix by just adding more controllers to "officially supported" list. It doesn't have to be that way and every other game developer does it very differently. You can pick +10 years old RBR and use any controller you want and it works straight out of the box, for example.

Update on my wheel impressions. I found that the horrible mush in the middle got better once I  upgraded to a car to the 80's the BMW M30. I'm sure the physics  in design has to do with this car in the 60's didn't have power steering. However,  I think they need to look at those 60's models and make some adjustment because they are to far off. I had to set my wheel to 180 degrees  to get them under control. Even with the 80's car there is still to much mush in the middle for me. I don't like setting my wheel at 270 to get a comfortable control and the right FFB tactile response. As far as the problem with my Fanatec wheel switching views on me, I isolated the problem, I if I mapped the the change camera to my up directional control that's when it will switch views on me randomly. This is my preferred mapping, but for now I set it to my X button. Please fix this.

Car of the 60s ran with worse straight-line than later models. 

wow...these G27 settings are killing my wrists, "car handling team"!!  dont like them one bit

you guys at codemasters say that you want to build the game along side the players to build the best game you can, and one that we want to play. yet you are ignoring our plea for decent force feedback effects. we want 900 degrees steering with ffb  so you actually feel something like steering fx slip fx and the humps in the road, that would be amazing in this game. yet you offer us 270 degrees with low ffb settings. wtf.  if your not going to listen to us gamers what was the point of getting us involved. ???????????? sorry to the guys who dont like my comments. but i have just as much a right to want the best for this game as you do. so get over it. ;p on  may31st there was hardly no info on what was being done. nothing wrong with wishing the game could be better. after so many bad releases you either put up with garbage or you speak up. or shut up. like you ought to do. mr, id kiss your arse codemasters even if it sucks. @rallycameraman

you guys at codemasters say that you want to build the game along side the players to build the best game you can, and one that we want to play. yet you are ignoring our plea for decent force feedback effects. we want 900% steering with ffb  so you actually feel something like steering fx slip fx and the humps in the road, that would be amazing in this game. yet you offer us 270% with low ffb settings. wtf.  if your not going to listen to us gamers what was the point of getting us involved. ????????????
If you bothered to read through the forums you'd find out that the team are working on the FFB and a patch will be available soon with some new settings. 

Someone needs to learn the difference between degrees and percent, unless he wants his FFB 9 times stronger than it is now

homerlvsbeer said:
 No.. the force feedback in Dirt 2 was much much better. than it was in dirt 3
I've been saying exactly that since release day.
The feedback in DiRT 2 relayed much more information about what the car was doing than what they used in DiRT 3, and are using in DiRT Rally.

Force feedback isn't just about accurately simulating the forces on the steering rack through the wheel.
You also have to convey other forces that are relayed by the driver's equilibrium in real life.

I have a probably dumb question; why is auto centering "frowned upon" - this seems like a force you experience whilst driving a car, and although I am all for a light FF experience to better handle the wheel, it's not intuitive for me to manually reset the wheel to centre.

Is the centering force considered to an effect that should be handled by the FF code, and thus enabling it in the Logitech driver wrong??

I prefer settings that make me go fast, but I would like FF to act as close to life as possible as well.

Well I hope there is gonna be more work on the FFB I compare it to Assetto Corsaa excelent FFB, where u feel every lil bump in the track, in saying that i dont expect the whole wheel to shake around non stop on gravel, but after landing a jump i would expect a solid jolt to the wheel, that would really intensify the sim experience.

petryca said:
Well I hope there is gonna be more work on the FFB I compare it to Assetto Corsaa excelent FFB, where u feel every lil bump in the track, in saying that i dont expect the whole wheel to shake around non stop on gravel, but after landing a jump i would expect a solid jolt to the wheel, that would really intensify the sim experience.
With the tweaked xml there is a good jolt when landing. A proper FFB patch from Codemasters is expected this week. Probably today as a matter of fact.