Sign in to follow this  

Speed in career vs other game play

I’m new to F1 gaming this year. Why are my lap speeds quicker (by 5-10 seconds per lap depending on the circuit) in career mode as compared to time trial/challenges/grand prix?  

Are you in your first season or have you had several seasons of car upgrades? Once you get upgrades your car is insanely fast! 

7 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

Are you in your first season or have you had several seasons of car upgrades? Once you get upgrades your car is insanely fast! 

First season but upgrading as much as possible. 

23 hours ago, Beast70 said:

First season but upgrading as much as possible. 

If you have concentrated on power unit or aero upgrades you will start getting much faster acceleration plus top speeds down the straights knocking several seconds off lap times compared to the standard car used for time trial. It has been a misconception for some years that the time trial car is the fully upgraded career car but it most definitely is not. It's the other way round. Career car is way faster than TT car once upgrades have been installed. 

• Agree 3

12 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

If you have concentrated on power unit or aero upgrades you will start getting much faster acceleration plus top speeds down the straights knocking several seconds off lap times compared to the standard car used for time trial. It has been a misconception for some years that the time trial car is the fully upgraded career car but it most definitely is not. It's the other way round. Career car is way faster than TT car once upgrades have been installed. 

My gearbox is upgraded and working on MGU K now. Any other crucial components to build up before focusing more on engine, etc?

7 minutes ago, DaleRossi said:

My gearbox is upgraded and working on MGU K now. Any other crucial components to build up before focusing more on engine, etc?

Well.... Depends on if you prefer a prolonged fun career mode or a short term ai annihilation game. In the past 2 games 17 and 18 I have started first with all reliability upgrades. Then I do all cost reduction upgrades in tandem with failure reducing upgrades. Only when all of these are in place do I add a single actual upgrade to the car. This will take around a season and a half and of course completely voids the end of first season rule change problems. By this time your team will be whining about falling behind other teams with upgrades and you will be struggling to get points at all. But then again, it's your first season anyway so it's more realistic you spend it learning the tracks and handling. Once you start actually upgrading the car with power and speed parts they come at an astonishing rate if you do all the practice grind sessions. It's normal to receive 3-5 upgrades per weekend, major and minor, and the car will now be quickly climbing up the field until by middle of season 3 you smash the ai into the ground, lapping hammy and leclerc with ease every track. On the other hand... Your ai team mate will now be invincible, destroying your fastest laps by 4 or 5 seconds EACH LAP. 

You then get the choice of lowering the ai to 50 or 40 so you can keep up with him (making rest of pack 10 seconds slower per lap) or raising the ai so you can have fun fighting for 2nd place every race while your team mate walks away with every race and championship. 

This BTW was the guide to beating the game (making it no longer worth playing) asap. 

If you want the game to be competitive for the whole 10 season career you MUST avoid /skip/simulate ALL practice sessions so you get the least amount of points possible. Then you can follow the above guide which will only leave you godlike after at least 6 seasons.

There is no scenario where you don't become godlike unless you actually refuse to spend points upgrading your car as fast as you earn them . Leave them unspent once you are around the pace you think is realistic then only spend to keep yourself competitive with the ai. This way is imo the most fun and realistic way to play career. The real life scenario would be you are the rich team owner spying on the other teams with unlimited funds just splashing money out on similar upgrades once your competitors get them first. You can also have fun this way picking the upgrades relevant to each upcoming track on the calendar. 

• Thanks 1

Well that's kind of unfortunate. Lapping the other top cars by 10 sec a lap is crazy while not being able to hang with your teammate.

2 hours ago, DaleRossi said:

Well that's kind of unfortunate. Lapping the other top cars by 10 sec a lap is crazy while not being able to hang with your teammate.

Well that's the game for the last 3 years. Just shows nobody actually play tested it beyond 1 season. If the beta testers had had career to test....but they didn't. Although I wrote a long post on the failings of the last 2 games in the beta forum. They have tweaked career since launch but still anyone doing all practice routines will have a pointless career. Guess they assumed nobody would be able to stand doing them over and over! 

I'm only half way through mine, but yeah. Actuallu restarted and it takes time for me to learn tracks new to me. 

Definitely some oversights there with career, though. I dont know what the hell they were thinking using the Weber and Lucas deal. Just corny.