Codemasters F1 licence

I've been racing and pushing the AI harder lately @DaleRossiI've seen them get rattled. Enough so that I've seen break lock. I can't remember which race it was but I know I streamed it. I'll have to take a look at. The AI still needs a lot of work, but in it's current form it's pretty good. If they added a learning statement in the line of code the AI will learn from it's mistakes and learn from other drivers on track. 

Edited by Striker_703
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, Striker_703 said:

I've been racing and pushing the AI harder lately @DaleRossiI've seen them get rattled. Enough so that I've seen break lock. I can't remember which race it was but I know I streamed it. I'll have to take a look at. The AI still needs a lot of work, but in it's current form it's pretty good. If they added a learning statement in the line of code the AI will learn from it's mistakes and learn from other drivers on track. 

The AI overall is serviceable.  There is better and there is worse. 

The cheesey fictional characters added to career is also something I can get past.  What I can't get past is a racing game with wheel promotions having zero concern for sim racers online.  Not including exterior cams in Assists for multiplayer is inexcusable. It's an open wheel car, not some coffin of a prototype with severely limited visibility. All things being equal, it puts those that want and expect sim options at an immediate disadvantage. 

• Agree 1

During these times of businesses profit and attendance is key. Studios are noticing what's going, some choose to approach differently than others. We'll just have to see how things work out. I think they'll do well in the next year or so, but for some that's to long. And for the AI, a IF STATEMENT and there with a little STRING thrown in there the AI could be on the next level. Developing learning AI isn't straight forward, especially when you've never worked with the framework. AI is no joke man.     

On 9/2/2019 at 10:42 PM, Striker_703 said:

From what I've been reading and how people feel about the partnership between @CODEMASTERTROEP and Formula 1, I don't think they'll get a renewal. People aren't happy with the last years or this years current F1 title. Once the Formula board gets to grips with the situation, they'll give them a choice. They and the teams want more poeple to be drawn to F1 and if @CODEMASTERTROEPcan't handle the job they'll look for someone else. People are getting more enjoyment from the F1 car on iRacing and from Automobilista 1 and 2.   

You're contradicting yourself so heavily it's not even funny.

If the goal is to popularize F1 via video games, the solution isn't to look at niche sim games that are only bought by people who are already heavily into racing/motorsport and own a racing wheel.

It needs to be accessible (that includes to pad users), with an atmospheric presentation. Codemasters has some problems with bugs and balancing every year and it's understandable to be frustrated, but the overall state of the games now is likely the best videogame representation this sport has EVER had.

Most sim racing games out there are barebones game experiences mainly focusing on car models, driving physics and vehicle/track quantity, and that's fine for their target audience, but not for F1. Whatever any other developer with better sim cred would make of this game might have better driving physics (something 99% of players wouldn't be able to tell because they've never driven a fast car, let alone F1 car) but it'd take several years to get the surrounding F1 features anywhere close to this level again, if ever. 

The physics are serviceable. No laser scanned tracks in a AAA title sponsored by F1 is inexcusable.  On top of that, accessibility is a must. At the same time, there is a complete disregard for those that do expect some semblance of Sim options.  

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, DaleRossi said:

The physics are serviceable. No laser scanned tracks in a AAA title sponsored by F1 is inexcusable.  On top of that, accessibility is a must. At the same time, there is a complete disregard for those that do expect some semblance of Sim options.  

Thats not really fair. Just because they don’t have every option you would like, doesn’t mean there is “a complete disregard” at all.

Does the game lack in certain areas? Sure it does - though we clearly don’t all agree on the relative importance of each of those areas.

Fact is, it’s a really good game, and a superb representation of F1 as a whole.

• Disagree 2

No Sim Lobbies = Disregard 

The abomination of tracks like Catalunya and Spa in an F1 title when laser scanned and accurate track data has been around since Xbox 360 (at least) is inexcusable.

A superb representation would not have fake drivers, very fake ERS, very fake setups, and painfully inaccurate tracks. Dirt Rally 2.0 is superb, but a few shortcomings. Point being, CM knows how to do it. They just didn't. 

Edited by DaleRossi
  • Agree 4

I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree 😊

I enjoy it, it “Simulates” F1 racing better than anything else in my opinion.

If cm can't create a cockpit view with usable mirrors, something which was achieved during the late nineteen nineties, they don't deserve to keep the license. 

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, LEWISt17KIMI said:

If cm can't create a cockpit view with usable mirrors, something which was achieved during the late nineteen nineties, they don't deserve to keep the license. 

What do you mean usable mirrors? If you cant see mirrors on one screen it isnt they fault.

PS: laser scanned tracks at acc level is minimum what we need

@RaceMyZaru? There's more to this than game play. Back to the core reason of the partnership between Codemasters and Formula 1. Audience. Over the years the viewing audience for Formula one has dropped heavily. Maurizio Arrivabene pointed out the importance of sim-racing to Formula One. Look at it as you becoming a fan through the F1 game. Really never paid to much attention to the sport. I'll leave it there and let you ponder out on that.    

On 9/3/2019 at 12:22 PM, Akkan74 said:

Why should they change the licence to another company? FIA has their merchendising and Codesmasters earns money. In my opinion there is no need at the moment to chnage the team from both sides. I think the FIA doesn't care if we find the FFB better in another title as long as they get there attention.

Agreed.  Over the years you learn and develop programming techniques that are unique to the sport and with each year's game improvements, I don't see any other coding company that  are capable of developing the game at this level now - stay Codemasters! 

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Striker_703 said:

@RaceMyZaru? There's more to this than game play. Back to the core reason of the partnership between Codemasters and Formula 1. Audience. Over the years the viewing audience for Formula one has dropped heavily. Maurizio Arrivabene pointed out the importance of sim-racing to Formula One. Look at it as you becoming a fan through the F1 game. Really never paid to much attention to the sport. I'll leave it there and let you ponder out on that.    

I became a fan of the sport because of F1 games back in the 90s, but those were games you could play well with a KEYBOARD (Geoff Crammond's games, Ubisoft's F1 Racing Simulation).

A lot of the potential marketing attention comes from casual PC and console players who pick up a well-reviewed racing game on sale. They do not care about sim racing (yet), they just want a motivating GAME.

11 hours ago, FOneFanatic said:

Agreed.  Over the years you learn and develop programming techniques that are unique to the sport and with each year's game improvements, I don't see any other coding company that  are capable of developing the game at this level now - stay Codemasters! 

you can see that you haven't played since 2010. because you said a great deal of nonsense.
F1 has remained unchanged since 2016-2017, 2-3 years that they have only implemented without solving any of the problems that still afflict this game.
unlike other games that, yes, have problems but not as RELEVANT as the bugmasters.
think before you write man. :)
Edited by advanceapple
  • Disagree 2

@RaceMyZaruwe're not in the 90's anymore, I started in the 70's. You have to involve. What was good for us isn't the same for now. Esports is a key factor.   

19 hours ago, Neomo said:

What do you mean usable mirrors? If you cant see mirrors on one screen it isnt they fault.

10000% agree on the tracks. 

Re: mirrors, I would guess somewhere around 80% of the FOV settings, no matter what you do with Horizontal camera, do not allow you to use the mirrors in F1 cars.

Since accessibility was brought up, in what world would this fake ERS system make the game more accessible? That decision shows that accessibility isn't as big of a priority as some may think.

In general, people like the game, myself included. What is so frustrating is it could be incredible if they just didnt make some of the really stupid decisions. 

• Agree 3

15 hours ago, RaceMyZaru said:

I became a fan of the sport because of F1 games back in the 90s, but those were games you could play well with a KEYBOARD (Geoff Crammond's games, Ubisoft's F1 Racing Simulation).

A lot of the potential marketing attention comes from casual PC and console players who pick up a well-reviewed racing game on sale. They do not care about sim racing (yet), they just want a motivating GAME.

Step up to today and get youself a console - XB1 recommended only becuase their game pad or controller is quite superior to PS4, or a wheel is you prefer.  

Kunos or Slighly Mad my god no.

Kunos' open wheelers are awful to drive, and looking at ACC i'm not even sure you would get a good game at the beginning, PC2 well, it's just PC2, I don't even know why is called a sim, it's clearly not. Historic content is really good, graphics are amazing, but the modern content is awful. AI is terrible, FFB non existent unless you download custom files and cars just slide around the track. If that's your idea of simulation then we have a different idea of simulating reality. But day night cycle is gorgeous, gotta say that. Like historic content. The Sauber C9 LM around the historic Circuit de la Sarthe is one of my favourite combo ever

Not much left here, Reiza Studios or Studio 397, I would be really glad to see an F1 game made by these 2, but it won't happen.

All these devs make, or are supposed to make, sims, not yearly installments. So I don't think F1 will be developed from another studio, and it will never be a sim. It's meant to be a "popular" game, a game where you pick up you're pad and have fun

Edited by TheWalker17
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

10 hours ago, FOneFanatic said:

Step up to today and get youself a console - XB1 recommended only becuase their game pad or controller is quite superior to PS4, or a wheel is you prefer.  

I dunno why you're telling me this, I have a Fanatec wheel and a 144Hz Monitor for this stuff now. I was talking about people new to F1 racing games.

20 hours ago, DaleRossi said:

Since accessibility was brought up, in what world would this fake ERS system make the game more accessible? That decision shows that accessibility isn't as big of a priority as some may think.

In general, people like the game, myself included. What is so frustrating is it could be incredible if they just didnt make some of the really stupid decisions. 

It's a game system. Kind of like a boost bar that you can manage manually, like the KERS bar used to be back in F1 2012. If you don't want to deal with it (especially on a pad with limited buttons), just set it to automatic.

11 minutes ago, RaceMyZaru said:

It's a game system. Kind of like a boost bar that you can manage manually, like the KERS bar used to be back in F1 2012. If you don't want to deal with it (especially on a pad with limited buttons), just set it to automatic.

You can't satisfy all people. If they would change it like in real life, where you have 3 engine modes (ERS and fuel combined) and you could use it only after approval from your engineer, i think we would easily find 50 new blaming threads about a boring game.

I can imagine all the claims about regulated by the game. It's like the discussion about manual pit stops. I don't think it would work correctly. Think about online, where a guy could block your pit space to destroy your race. To ghost all cars in the pit lane would also not be satisfying. If they are all ghosted, what would be the benefit? To drive a small, slow straight? Yeah, that's racing. :classic_wink:

On one hand people want it as realistic as possible and on the other they are whining because the AI blocks you or drive into you during your incredible divebomb.

Edited by Akkan74
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, TheWalker17 said:

Kunos or Slighly Mad my god no.

Kunos' open wheelers are awful to drive, and looking at ACC i'm not even sure you would get a good game at the beginning, PC2 well, it's just PC2, I don't even know why is called a sim, it's clearly not. Historic content is really good, graphics are amazing, but the modern content is awful. AI is terrible, FFB non existent unless you download custom files and cars just slide around the track. If that's your idea of simulation then we have a different idea of simulating reality. But day night cycle is gorgeous, gotta say that. Like historic content. The Sauber C9 LM around the historic Circuit de la Sarthe is one of my favourite combo ever

Not much left here, Reiza Studios or Studio 397, I would be really glad to see an F1 game made by these 2, but it won't happen.

All these devs make, or are supposed to make, sims, not yearly installments. So I don't think F1 will be developed from another studio, and it will never be a sim. It's meant to be a "popular" game, a game where you pick up you're pad and have fun

Agree with you PC2 is garbage except of great graphics and amazing dynamic weather/track but kunos made very good job with acc in my opinion

• Disagree 1

6 hours ago, Akkan74 said:

On one hand people want it as realistic as possible and on the other they are whining because the AI blocks you or drive into you during your incredible divebomb.

This is so true!!! 

On 9/5/2019 at 8:29 PM, Neomo said:

You have just asked me a question, and given yourself the answer, regarding the meaning of usable mirrors. Also its cm fault for their poor design choices. The game is designed for the masses, many of whom do not possess a triple screen monitor. Although laser scanned tracks would be a welcome addition, they need to sort out the dogy made up physics and ffb first.  

Edited by LEWISt17KIMI
  • Agree 1

On 9/3/2019 at 5:22 PM, Akkan74 said:

Why should they change the licence to another company? FIA has their merchendising and Codesmasters earns money. In my opinion there is no need at the moment to chnage the team from both sides. I think the FIA doesn't care if we find the FFB better in another title as long as they get there attention.

Yeah so long as they get their money and exposure I don't think they care. I think they largely leave it to CM to decide what they think is best so long as they stick to the rules of the license agreed