Sign in to follow this  

Braking assist

Hi,

As a player who uses braking assist, I find it pretty depressing to lose several tenths or even a second over one single corner or chicane against other opponents. So here’s a list of corners where I regularly get outrageously outrun by duel opponents:

Melbourne turn 11-12

Sakhir turn 11

Shanghaï turns 13 & 16

Spielberg turn 6-7

Silverstone turn 17-18

Hockenheim turn 13

Budapest turn 8-9

Suzuka turn 1-2

Sao Paulo turn 4

Yas Marina turn 12-13

Could devs improve braking assist in those corners to make players who use it lose less time?

Another way to solve this could be to tweak matchmaking to avoid duel between players who use braking assist and others who don’t, even if it means playing against bots.

That would be nice.

Thanks

• Disagree 1

Beyond fixing things they broke, it appears the devs have stopped working on improving gameplay for a while now and have since turned their attention to finding new ways to do micro transactions, sadly. I hope they’re secretly working on an F1 2020 that’s the spiritual successor of F1 2016, but I’m not holding my breath.

Players not using brake assist SHOULD get an advantage in the corners if they do it right, no? Higher risk, higher reward.

• Agree 1

There is only one tip: stop using brake and acceleration assist. It’s hard at the beginning but after some practice it’s easier 🙂

On 9/3/2019 at 3:40 AM, F1Ken said:

Players not using brake assist SHOULD get an advantage in the corners if they do it right, no? Higher risk, higher reward.

I see your point but I disagree because it means that a player using brake assist can’t win against an opponent who doesn’t, unless the ladder makes a mistake. No matter how good his lap will be, he just won’t win and it bothers me. So for me this parameter (brake assist level) should be considered in matchmaking in order to provide fairer gameplay.

For example, I’m using medium brake assist and I lose around 1-1.5 sec through the last 2 corners of Hockenheim ring against some players which is very frustrating.

How do you use the brakes? Do you release the throttle and then touch the brake? That's what I used to do. I now have no brakes in my car setup and I don't use brake assist, but I keep my finger on the accelerator and the brakes really bite. You can brake later and you brake faster. Maybe everyone knows this. Tell me if I'm preaching to the converted.

Edited by Dr Zaius

10 hours ago, Norrin78 said:

I see your point but I disagree because it means that a player using brake assist can’t win against an opponent who doesn’t, unless the ladder makes a mistake. No matter how good his lap will be, he just won’t win and it bothers me. So for me this parameter (brake assist level) should be considered in matchmaking in order to provide fairer gameplay.

For example, I’m using medium brake assist and I lose around 1-1.5 sec through the last 2 corners of Hockenheim ring against some players which is very frustrating.

Get over it and learn how to drive without assist if you want to win.

One tip is to modulate the braking with rapid multiple taps rather than holding the brake down.  If done consistantly, you can precise the amount of braking for a turn by the number of taps.

Hi,

@Dr Zaius Acceleration is automatic. I do the steering with my thumbs and sometimes have to manage a manual brake or two (for hairpins and chicanes mostly).

@StKnowhere You say that because you don’t use driving assists so when you lose a race because you made a mistake, you’re the only one to blame. But for players who do, no matter how well you drive, sometimes you just can’t win and for me this is an important issue.

I mean, we’re talking mobile gaming here. If you want a large audience, you need simple gameplay and not to disgust casual players.

Every player should be able to play the game the way that suits him best without being penalized for it. At least not as badly as it can sometimes. And I’m pretty sure improvements have been made in this area lately. Some of the turns I mentioned above are feeling better now, so I really think it can be addressed.

• Agree 1

Sorry to disagree @Norrin78 but for multiplayer mode, a player using more complex skill should should not be penalized against a player simply steering the car with perfect AI braking.

My point was more that since It is highly unlikely CM will change this, to be competitive you need to learn to drive without brake assist.

What device are you using to play @Norrin78? I can see why you cannot brake and accelerate if you are steering with your thumbs, so have you considered using the tilt option to steer? It frees up your thumbs for accelerating and braking and I think most people use this option to get the best lap times. Although if you're using a phone, all bets are off and I have no idea how to help. I play on a large iPad Pro and I tried to play once on my phone and lasted about 15 seconds before I ended up in the grandstand. Many virtual spectators died that day.

• Agree 1

@Norrin78 The combination of steering with your thumb and using brake assist will increase your lap times and lower your odds of winning. Taking some turns like you’re driving a road car will be slower than wrestling the car around it on the bleeding edge of stability. Darn near impossible to get that with brake assist and thumb steering because it’s an intuitive feeling that tilt steering is better suited for. Anyone can go fast in a straight line; the magic happens at the turns. Trust us: ditch the thumb steering and brake assist and come over to the tilt and no assist side of life. It’s edge-of-your-seat action over here. You’ll likely get to the moon before Codemasters starts pairing thumb steering and brake assist players with one another. You don’t actually race real players by the way. You race bots or “simulated” players, AKA bots.

• Agree 1