Upcoming dash cam?

7 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

@SquirrelEsquire And what a wonderful addition that would make to the game. Forget the Dirtfish Rally School, it will be the Dunwich Rally School. What unspeakable, tentacled mind shattering terror awaits the unwitting rally rookie. More horrifying even than WRC 8's frame rate and physics!

🤣 Have you heard the WRC 8 co-driver? I'd rather have Cthulhu riding shotgun. Props to them for having a 'bring your creepy uncle to work' day, but letting him in the recording studio was a bit much. Probably too distracted sampling all of those lawnmowers for the engine audio to notice..

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, SquirrelEsquire said:

🤣 Have you heard the WRC 8 co-driver? I'd rather have Cthulhu riding shotgun. Props to them for having a 'bring your creepy uncle to work' day, but letting him in the recording studio was a bit much. Probably too distracted sampling all of those lawnmowers for the engine audio to notice..

I like you already.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, ianism said:

I like you already.

Just you wait until I get on the sauce and start posting X-rated DR2 themed fan-fic prose at 4am on a Saturday.

"Hard, right!", he cried.. yet how I yearned for something so much more harder than an uphill hairpin. The tug of my e-brake was of little solace as I braced for the impending slush stage before me..

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, SquirrelEsquire said:

Just you wait until I get on the sauce and start posting X-rated DR2 themed fan-fic prose at 4am on a Saturday.

"Hard, right!", he cried.. yet how I yearned for something so much more harder than an uphill hairpin. The tug of my e-brake was of little solace as I braced for the impending slush stage before me..

10/10 would smash

• Haha 1

@SquirrelEsquire I think you're my new favorite member who has joined here in a long time :classic_laugh: Now if we can only get the old Helicopter Cam guy to return...

@mwoodski the old "dash cam" is better described as "windshield/windscreen cam" - it was as if you took a go pro and slapped it on top of your dashboard a few inches in front of your wheel. It turned your monitor into the windshield of the car basically and for certain people (like me who literally put a monitor in that position on my rig) it is one of the best cams in all racing games period.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

here's a couple dash screens from Dirt 4. first one is from 07 Focus in Wales, second is 205 GTI in Michigan.

20190905123354_1.thumb.jpg.3ca7f518d52757d36ee36908ab98c7fb.jpg

20190905123220_1.thumb.jpg.e3918550fc1eb7d073dfd6ce71fc292b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Yes! I love that dashcam. Much easier to judge and move the TV/monitor to a good distance from eyes. Best thing is having steering wheel in a more realistic position if mounted to the same surface the screen sits on. (No more MacGyver antics to compensate for the TV stand throwing wheel height off)

How about at clubs, is upcoming dash camera part of cockpit cameras or not, so when you check option "Force Cockpit Camera"?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MJV1973 said:

How about at clubs, is upcoming dash camera part of cockpit cameras or not, so when you check option "Force Cockpit Camera"?

If this is the case, I'll probably actually start doing the Elite Club again. I didn't even make it through the first one with the forced cockpit cams, it was just miserable to use. Hopefully the new dash fixes that for me 🤞

• Agree 1

On 9/6/2019 at 12:47 PM, MJV1973 said:

In theory, yes, as it wouldn't be an "External Camera" since it's inside the car.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

In theory, yes, as it wouldn't be an "External Camera" since it's inside the car.

Could you ask from devs is that also in practice :classic_smile:

in Dirt 4 if you disallowed exterior cameras in the game settings (turning off assists like this and traction control, etc and increasing the difficulty level gave you more rewards) it would allow dashcam. I imagine it'd be the same here

@PJTierney
Wouldn't it be far easier and functional to just unlock/extend the seat adjust movement range universally?

Being FOV-locked on console will cause the new dash camera position to suffer the same interior scale and eye-level problems that we currently experience in helmet view with the restricted seat adjust range, it'll just be at the other end of the spectrum. 

(In PCars2 you can literally noclip the driver position forward through the dashboard, or reverse back through the seat... it's like being a poltergeist 😂)

9 hours ago, SquirrelEsquire said:

@PJTierney
Wouldn't it be far easier and functional to just unlock/extend the seat adjust movement range universally?

Being FOV-locked on console will cause the new dash camera position to suffer the same interior scale and eye-level problems that we currently experience in helmet view with the restricted seat adjust range, it'll just be at the other end of the spectrum. 

(In PCars2 you can literally noclip the driver position forward through the dashboard, or reverse back through the seat... it's like being a poltergeist 😂)

Agreed - unless they release dash cam with FOV adjustability. As I eluded to above, dash cam while great - is inherently limiting (potentially), as it calls in to question the ability to retain use of the camera shake slider. Some locations (achem - Argentina), are nothing short of unplayable without the ability to tame the jarring camera motion to some degree...

Full X and Y axis adjustability of the seat would be the optimal solution, as it would allow you to get as close (or far), and as high (or low), as you want. All in-car views are not created equal, many of them suffer from horrible A pillar /roll cage location, so more axis adjustability - the better.  

• Agree 2

@CMHarrySemple @cmMikeRobson Please, PLEASE can you add an FOV option to the CONSOLE versions. It has been asked for so much on these forums and by so many. And if a slider really is not possible for whatever reason, pleease can we at least can we have what @Jake Cushing suggested in the past:

Implementing just one alternative FoV setting for the consoles, at around 45vFOV, alongside the default 55vFOV, as a toggle:  "FOV: Normal/Low"

I am also using my TV's zoom feature to do this currently. It works, but i have to keep zooming back out to check my leaderboard times and I am also no longer able to see HUD elements when I drive 😞

Edited by A-M-A-R-85
  • Agree 1

I can't wait for the dash cam to arrive. How much longer? Finally I'll be able to drive the Megane RX without having to look at its ugly interior.

1 minute ago, danielofifi said:

I can't wait for the dash cam to arrive. How much longer? Finally I'll be able to drive the Megane RX without having to look at its ugly interior.

It's in Version 1.9, so just over a week away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Dashcam? Finally!! i was just about to ebay this game today but this has just saved it. I guess WRC8 has forced Codies hand here since its in that. Hopefully we do have some FOV options as well. 

...or maybe Codies just listened to their community, because, you know, this feature was highly requested, just as better rain effects or additional FFB effects. Many people are pretty quick with assumptions and accusations and very lazy in giving credit. 

• Agree 2

46 minutes ago, richie said:

...or maybe Codies just listened to their community

I remember the email confirming Dashcam.

Dashcam came in specifically because it was highly requested on the forums. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The current in car cams are pretty good as far as most other *console* sims/simcades, IMO. That's all I use, but more versatility would definitely be welcomed, especially in RX.  For example, the RX buggie or whatever it is called has pretty tough visibility through the net. In real life, you would see through the net pretty easily. A sort if option to make that less aggressive would be good. 

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, richie said:

...or maybe Codies just listened to their community, because, you know, this feature was highly requested, just as better rain effects or additional FFB effects. Many people are pretty quick with assumptions and accusations and very lazy in giving credit. 

Weve been asking for it since Febuary. LOUDLY. Another Rally game comes out with Dashcam in and suddenly its getting put into the game. Call me skeptical that its not because of WRC 😉

Edited by FLAW3D