Upcoming dash cam?

I don't believe it's because of WRC 8, and whatever the reason, it's great that these requested features are coming in. 

But it remains baffling that FoV isn't being put in. It's a feature already for the PC players! And it gives them an advantage as it makes the road bigger! 

For heaven's sakes, it makes such a big difference to the game, changes immersion, improves visibility etc. 

Codies have said 'forget it', but then they said that about dashcam too... 

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

I don't believe it's because of WRC 8, and whatever the reason, it's great that these requested features are coming in. 

But it remains baffling that FoV isn't being put in. It's a feature already for the PC players! And it gives them an advantage as it makes the road bigger! 

For heaven's sakes, it makes such a big difference to the game, changes immersion, improves visibility etc. 

Codies have said 'forget it', but then they said that about dashcam too... 

Has it been confirmed no FOV options? 

Maybe they will cone another 6 months down the line.

Hello

Bringing back the original dash camera as an addition to, or replacement of, the new dash camera has been on the cards since about a year ago. We trialled the new position during the beta phase and feedback was split between the new and old positions. We decided to go with the new position and monitor feedback in regards to bringing back the old position.

After a few months it became clear that it would be well received if we brought back the position used in DiRT Rally and DiRT4. It has taken some time to do so because of our work commitments on GRID.

We will continue to monitor the feedback given to implement new features in to DR2.0 or future titles.

In regards to FoV, it is a wider topic we have to discuss in the development team because of performance issues. This is why it is allowed on PC but not on consoles. I would hope that moving forward to the next generation, whenever that may be, they will have the capability to allow us to easily add the same functionality to consoles as there is on PC.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, cmMikeRobson said:

Hello

Bringing back the original dash camera as an addition to, or replacement of, the new dash camera has been on the cards since about a year ago. We trialled the new position during the beta phase and feedback was split between the new and old positions. We decided to go with the new position and monitor feedback in regards to bringing back the old position.

After a few months it became clear that it would be well received if we brought back the position used in DiRT Rally and DiRT4. It has taken some time to do so because of our work commitments on GRID.

We will continue to monitor the feedback given to implement new features in to DR2.0 or future titles.

In regards to FoV, it is a wider topic we have to discuss in the development team because of performance issues. This is why it is allowed on PC but not on consoles. I would hope that moving forward to the next generation, whenever that may be, they will have the capability to allow us to easily add the same functionality to consoles as there is on PC.

Thanks Mike for the feedback! Will the dash cam retain the functionality of the camera shake slider? Or will it be in a fixed position with no motion compensation?

44 minutes ago, cmMikeRobson said:

Hello

Odd decison considering how close the cameras were to each. You basically added 2 cockpit cams. Had you let us move the camera about properly it would of been fine as we could of done our own dashcam.

• Agree 2

51 minutes ago, FLAW3D said:

Odd decison considering how close the cameras were to each. You basically added 2 cockpit cams. Had you let us move the camera about properly it would of been fine as we could of done our own dashcam.

One has a FoV slider (for PC at least) and the other doesn't. Really weird design in that, but if something about the driver model caused issues with FoV I could see them making two almost identical cameras but one with an unlocked FoV option at least. But still, doesn't explain why you wouldn't also include the true dash-cam from DR1 as well then...

• Agree 1

Agree wholeheartedly with you both. The omission is odd, and makes no sense to me given the similarities to the cockpit cam, and the fact that the dash cam was so well received in DR. Whatever the case, just thankful it’s making a return. By default it should help us console guys - despite no FOV slider the closer vantage point will aid in driving and gauging  distances. A lot of stages feel disproportionately narrow, so this will mitigate that phenomenon to some degree at least.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cmMikeRobson said:

Thanks for the response. This wouldn't be as much of an issue if the FoV from DR 1 had been retained, instead of being widened. I hope you can have that discussion within the dev team because it is screamingly worth doing. 

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Agree 2

Still, it does make me wonder why it's possible to include FOV options in F1 2019 on the consoles, but not in Dirt Rally...?

• Agree 1

Adding a Dash Cam is very very positive , When I firstly played DR2.0 on New Dashcam I felt so strange , But after 200 hours I have to say now I like it more and more.  

The truth is that I even go back to DR1 disable the wheel and move the seat front so I can have a dash/cockpit camera like DR2.0 , seeing the speedometer and everything else its a nice compromise for loosing some of the road view I guess.

So Good news for all of us playing from inside , Cockpit and Dash cam pulled back and pulled front are 3 different cams that I am sure all will like .

Looking forward to this immensely - thanks guys. If you've got any of them screenshots you can share PJ.............

3 hours ago, danielofifi said:

Still, it does make me wonder why it's possible to include FOV options in F1 2019 on the consoles, but not in Dirt Rally...?

I'm assuming it's because an F1 circuit is a much more 'contained' environment, so you're never having to render things really far away, and testing sight lines etc. and making sure rendering performance isn't affected is much easier.

18 hours ago, Buckwilder said:

Thanks Mike for the feedback! Will the dash cam retain the functionality of the camera shake slider? Or will it be in a fixed position with no motion compensation?

It's a fixed position I believe. It will work the same as the new dash camera. Expect the same functionality.

18 hours ago, FLAW3D said:

That depends on car. Modern cars they ended up being similar as the driver and displays are moved further back for weight distribution. The new position was liked by Paul C, Jon likes it as well as others. So we ended up going with it at launch.

17 hours ago, Mike Dee said:

One has a FoV slider (for PC at least) and the other doesn't. Really weird design in that, but if something about the driver model caused issues with FoV I could see them making two almost identical cameras but one with an unlocked FoV option at least. But still, doesn't explain why you wouldn't also include the true dash-cam from DR1 as well then...

It's not just FoV you have to consider but also potential clipping issues with the camera. You're very close to the dash and the front pillar on many cars. Increasing FoV can expose that, which is one of the reasons it isn't currently allowed.

5 hours ago, danielofifi said:

Different engine, different cars (see issues in above comment), different tracks...

• Like 4

WRC 8 have excellent adjustments (vertical, horizontal, angle and FOV) for all cameras and also with consoles.
That was best part of game, sold it almost immediately.

Sad if it´s fixed, camera shake works only at drivers seat camera and have too limited adjust for Argentina bumps.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, MJV1973 said:

WRC 8 have excellent adjustments (vertical, horizontal, angle and FOV) for all cameras and also with consoles.

It also only runs at 30fps.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

14 hours ago, RodgerDavies said:

Looking forward to this immensely - thanks guys. If you've got any of them screenshots you can share PJ.............

Roadbook this week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, caerphoto said:

60fps kind of loses it's novelty when you spend half your time wrapping the car around a tree due to fishbowl FOV 😂 (But what a smooth terminal damage experience it is!)

I've gradually adapted. The new dash cam will hopefully help. Wasn't aware of how complicated the FOV issue is, the performance factor seems weird from the perspective of Xbox One X. Then I remember just how much my One S was struggling..

A slightly tighter FOV would almost have to be console & model specific, in the same way the 4K option is hidden away.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, caerphoto said:

Indeed. They surely have much more head-room in that regard, while DR2 might start struggeling depending on FoV. However, as the vast majority of people would actually lower the FoV rather than increase it, I don't see that performance would take a hit(maybe the opposite?). So one way of doing it would be that you had a max FoV value(the current default value) and it would only be adjustable to get less FoV, not higher. But then again, there is also the issue of object clipping which I understand they want to avoid.

I took part in very early prototype testing and I was very vocal about the new dashcam being pointless as it basically just became a fixed headcam rather than dashcam* like in DR1/D4. I've always loved the old dashcam but apparently it was only used by 3% of the player base according to Codies data, hence they tried something new. I was also told that they would monitor feedback and that it might make a return.

*dashcam in my eyes is a camera that is mounted on the actual dashboard of the car(like all the russian YT-videos for example) not a camera that is supposedly showing you the dash/gauges

On 9/3/2019 at 6:43 PM, Mike Dee said:

Yeah without the FoV being applied for me in game, the new cam is almost worthless to me. I run on a 21:9 ultrawide, I need FoV adjustment for the game to have any sort of semblance to real life speed. Even set to the lowest FoV option in game isn't actually accurate if you do the math, but it is close enough to be passable. If I have to go back to default FoV to use the new cam I will sadly probably just keep using bonnet.

As you're on PC it's a very easy fix for you Mike. there's a camera mod tool that is fairly easy to use and is allowed online. In this case I would simply increase the seat movement in 'head cam' with this tool to place the camera as far ahead as you would like it. This way you keep the FoV slider and all the other perks of this cam. It's saves your position as well so you don't have to move your seat each time. I'll give you a hand if you don't know how :classic_smile:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bogani said:

dashcam in my eyes is a camera that is mounted on the actual dashboard of the car(like all the russian YT-videos for example) not a camera that is supposedly showing you the dash/gauges

Yes!!

I will definetly be using the dashboard camera whenever I am away from home and using my laptop to run some stages. It was the camera I prefered using in DR1 whenever I run stages outside of VR.

Without proper FoV adjustment every cockpit cam is not very usefull. FoV adjustment should be a standard feature in every race game with cockpit views. It may be a lot work yes but do you want happy customers that pay for your ton of dlc or not ? Even Forza Horizon has now FoV adjustment for every cam in the game and they did it correct in degrees not without any unit like CM which makes using a FoV calculator for CM games complete useless. 

Edited by Ak1504
  • Agree 4