Upcoming dash cam?

4 hours ago, virgism said:

Played WRC8 and only saw arcade game - cars are floating like boats and are unresponsive. Little better than WRC7 but still very arcady. I don't see any future for WRC8

Totally agree. Cant compare DR2. I have high hopes WRC8 but hard to find any positive things about this game... Maybe career mode and official cars...but game physics suck, so it doesnt matter

• Agree 1

It's interesting how different people's perceptions can be. I've also put countless hours into rbr and play rally games in full sim mode, without hud etc. Yet I find WRC8 physics believable and in some aspects surpassing DR2 (like I mentioned, tarmac and water). Force feedback, gravel physics and suspension travel could do with some improvements, sure. But getting up to speed on a bumpy road is actually scary in this game. And with realistic damage I often struggle to even finish a rally, not to mention getting a good position. Much more demanding than DR2. And here are people calling it arcade.

Interesting.

Edited by danielofifi
  • Agree 2

It is interesting @danielofifi to me as well. But where is the truth?  It's hard to judge this but for sure one side is more right than the other.

What I will say though that at least when Jon A. was asked about the realism at the end of the eSports WRC8 championship, you could see he didn't really feel it was that realistic to his R5 and older WRC car experience, as he had to hold his tongue and then say in the end it's fairly realistic.   

So unless you can have data logs to compare to on same stages, you kind of have to rely on people who have the real life experience.  And then, you have to appreciate whether you are getting an honest opinion as well...

Edited by bn880
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I noticed that too in Jon's reaction. He struggled a moment with agreeing on realism but then he did quite half heartedly. I think Kilotonn did a good job in modeling the stages but to me the handling never looked as convincing as DR2.0. It seems they took a huge leap compared to the previous game, though. 

I'm not sure Jon's response means as much as y'all are thinking here—it could just be he wasn't sure how much he's allowed to say about WRC8 given his involvement with Codies/DR2.

• Agree 2

31 minutes ago, caerphoto said:

I'm not sure Jon's response means as much as y'all are thinking here—it could just be he wasn't sure how much he's allowed to say about WRC8 given his involvement with Codies/DR2.

Exactly. It must have been pretty awkward to be in this position. His thoughts might have been different, but he had to choose his words carefully.

Wish we could have some real, independent rally drivers compare the two games in terms of realism. My bet is that the trophy for gravel physics would go to DR2, but WRC8 would win on tarmac.

Edited by danielofifi
  • Agree 1

Still it has 30 FPS on consoles so they don't care about gameplay at all. It's pretty dumb decision for simulator.

1 hour ago, caerphoto said:

Yeah, at the end of the day only Jon can explain his reaction. I might just project my thoughts onto his reaction. 

Edited by richie

11 hours ago, Johnnnn said:

Still it has 30 FPS on consoles so they don't care about gameplay at all. It's pretty dumb decision for simulator.

I'll never understand how this can be a dealbreaker for some people. Sure 60 fps is nicer to look at, but there are so many more important things. SLRE was 30 fps and it was still an awesome rally sim.

Seeing as this is the dashcam topic, just want to add that I LOVE the new dashcam option - it's a complete game-changer for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, danielofifi said:

It's interesting how different people's perceptions can be. I've also put countless hours into rbr and play rally games in full sim mode, without hud etc. Yet I find WRC8 physics believable and in some aspects surpassing DR2 (like I mentioned, tarmac and water). Force feedback, gravel physics and suspension travel could do with some improvements, sure. But getting up to speed on a bumpy road is actually scary in this game. And with realistic damage I often struggle to even finish a rally, not to mention getting a good position. Much more demanding than DR2. And here are people calling it arcade.

Interesting.

From the small amount of seat time I've had with WRC8 it's is an improvement over WRC7 for sure, but there are still things feeling slightly off from time to time. For example, when landing from a jump(and there are many as the suspension can't really cope) the cars had a tendency to dart off in a random direction at times no matter how i have my front wheels placed. From a driving point of view DR2 feels much more intuitive and consistent across the car classes, even though tarmac is iffy.

From a pure gaming perspective WRC8 has lots to offer compared to DR2. Career, damage system etc as you mentioned.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, danielofifi said:

I'll never understand how this can be a dealbreaker for some people. Sure 60 fps is nicer to look at, but there are so many more important things. SLRE was 30 fps and it was still an awesome rally sim.

60 FPS is not the best but better than nothing. 30 FPS is a complete joke for cars. Even Mario Kart had always 60 FPS. 30 FPS means bigger input lag too and you don't want big input lag. FPS games are worse but still cars are sensitive too. If developers don't care about gameplay they don't do a proper simulator. Maybe their target are casuals on consoles so the game must be good for them. Hard to say.

• Agree 1