Upcoming dash cam?

Looking forward to the new dash cam in the next update but was wondering if this will be in addition to one we have now or will it replace it?

I hope it will have the bump compensation like the headcam but probably not.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Also needs to respect FOV setting (on PC) as current dash cam does not...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

... Aaaand we console players also could do with a FoV setting, please. 

They said dashcam and console FoV were both 'too much resources required'. But if they've now decided one was worth it, then the other must surely be worth it too? 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

... Aaaand we console players also could do with a FoV setting, please. 

They said dashcam and console FoV were both 'too much resources required'. But if they've now decided one was worth it, then the other must surely be worth it too? 

Hahaha damn Jake i feel for you. I hope with the dashcam update you can finally play properly, as you've been hitting this button for a long time. You deserve it.

Someone else would've already given up either on the topic or on the game, so kudos to you tough warrior. 😄

Edited by Riggs
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Riggs said:

Hahaha damn Jake i feel for you. I hope with the dashcam update you can finally play properly, as you've been hitting this button for a long time. You deserve it.

Someone else would've already given up either on the topic or on the game, so kudos to you tough warrior. 😄

Well, DR2.0 is such a great rally simulator where it counts, the handling, that these things have been worth the perseverance. It's L'Oréal, because it's worth it.

I've been playing the game, but using cockpit cam and zooming in using my television zoom function. What a kludge!! But it is effectively a FoV reduction and tells me that this game is much better (and much easier to play) with an adjustable FoV. Dash-cam won't help me here, alas. But I am glad for all those players who have been shocked by the removal of dash-cam. For a wheel user it's so obviously better.

Why Codies don't appear to agree, in the age of every decent simulation-oriented console game now providing FoV as standard, is a bit beyond me.

1 hour ago, CMHarrySemple said:

The dashcam that is being added is in addition to the existing column-mounted camera.

Thanks Harry. Will it have the camera shake option and will there be FOV adjustability as well?

2 hours ago, CMHarrySemple said:

@Buckwilder Functionally, it's the same as the steering column camera. Anything that camera has, this one will too.

Ok well the steering column camera doesn’t seem to have any adjustability nor does the camera shake slider have any effect.

So I guess it will just be more of the same but with a closer view.

Bummer. 

Hope you could also do something for camera shake adjust, there´s not enough adjust for Argentina, feel sick of that shaking 🤮
And yes, I know it works only at drivers seat.

Edited by MJV1973

Wait is the new "dash" cam the one without FoV options being applied? OUCH, this really really hurts. I need to run on about the lowest FoV the game offers to have anything look remotely correct, so if I can't use FoV with the new windshield cam it basically will become useless

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Mike Dee said:

Wait is the new "dash" cam the one without FoV options being applied? OUCH, this really really hurts. I need to run on about the lowest FoV the game offers to have anything look remotely correct, so if I can't use FoV with the new windshield cam it basically will become useless

Yeah that is the sense I am getting. It is like the original dash cam at the game’s release, just closer towards the windscreen. It will not have any adjustability it seems. No FOV. No Camera Shake adjustability.

Not to mention, the frame rate on the XB1X was wonky with the steering column dash game (everything seemed super slow mo for some reason). I was complaining on the forum early on, until I switched to head cam and then realized it was not a frame rate issue with the game but rather an issue tied to that particular camera (steering column dash cam).

With the head cam, you can move the seat in closer than that dash cam, get the benefit of the camera shake parameter, and the frame rate/sense of speed remains in tact. It basically made the ‘dash cam’ useless.

If it will be more of the same with a closer view than my excitement level just went from 100 to 0, because without any adjustability and the sense of speed diminished to further add insult - it’s an unequivocal PASS for me, and I will keep using the current camera.

I would rather have them roll out the new camera later and take more time to develop it than to rush it out and give us something that seems good in theory but falls woefully short in practice.

Edited by Buckwilder
  • Agree 1

Yeah without the FoV being applied for me in game, the new cam is almost worthless to me. I run on a 21:9 ultrawide, I need FoV adjustment for the game to have any sort of semblance to real life speed. Even set to the lowest FoV option in game isn't actually accurate if you do the math, but it is close enough to be passable. If I have to go back to default FoV to use the new cam I will sadly probably just keep using bonnet.

• Agree 2

@Mike Dee

Yep - agreed.

@CMHarrySemple & @PJTierney & @matthewhorsman

Please take note. Would be a shame for CM to assign (have already assigned?), resources to this added in-car view, if it will not provide any of the aforementioned benefits. I would urge you to set back the release date and provide camera shake and FOV options for the new dash cam instead of release it prematurely, and ultimately - in vain.

Edited by Buckwilder
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

I keep forgetting about the camera shake too, I've learned to just deal with the migraines that come with Argentina. If we had shake applied to it as well the new cam would become AMAZING for me compared to my current views. Ugh so much potential, I really hope we are just all wrong with this and these settings do actually apply.

• Agree 1

I wrote a post some time ago in Dirty Gossip that Codies are going to respond to WRC8's release by adding the dashcam. My post got downvoted. Just saying.

By the way, I hope we won't see the digital rev meters in the dashcam view in cars like the 911's, or at least get the option to remove them. It's really distracting, especially for people like myself who use the Thrustmaster's BT LED display.

Best of course if we could get FOV settings, this would solve everyone's problems.

Anyway, I'm excited. Again. This game and it's developers keep surprising me in a very positive way. I love you Codies.

Edited by danielofifi
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, danielofifi said:

I wrote a post some time ago in Dirty Gossip that Codies are going to respond to WRC8's release by adding the dashcam. My post got downvoted. Just saying.

By the way, I hope we won't see the digital rev meters in the dashcam view in cars like the 911's, or at least get the option to remove them. It's really distracting, especially for people like myself who use the Thrustmaster's BT LED display.

Best of course if we could get FOV settings, this would solve everyone's problems.

Anyway, I'm excited. Again. This game and it's developers keep surprising me in a very positive way. I love you Codies.

Yes it is good news. I too am a CM supporter obviously, but if we are being totally honest, this cam should have been in since day one. It was in the original Dirt Rally, and was received glowingly by the community. Naturally, they decide to omit it for DR2.0...🤔

The new Dash Cam will only receive the same acclaim if it delivers on the points noted above. If we only get it after 8 months - than it should come along with the features that make it relevant and useful for the players who have been desperately pleading for it since day one.

Edited by Buckwilder
  • Like 1

In my opinion what should or shouldn't be implemented in the game depends largely on perspective. What's more important is that Codemasters are listening to the community and keep improving the game. I haven't seen such a great post-launch support for a racing game since maybe GT Sport.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

While I agree, I also take pause on that sentiment. Let’s not forget a lot of the post lunch support has been to remedy issues present at launch. 

Regardless, I am not meaning to look a gift horse in the mouth here...just saying, if they are going to to do this (which is appreciated), than it should be carried out in a manner that makes sense for the community for which it is created. Adding features and spending resources is pointless if exacerbates or perpetuates existing issues.

22 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

I've been playing the game, but using cockpit cam and zooming in using my television zoom function. What a kludge!!

:classic_ohmy: ... I thought I was the only one living with this shame... forever hiding my insatiable hunger for more and more overscan...

..smirking in sadistic glee as that pathetic, little, speedometer, drips off the edge of my screen like an infantile Salvador Dali impersonation...

..while unbeknownst, a pixelated horror from the deep grows larger and larger...

..consuming all until there is nothing left but the cold, black, ASCII void... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SquirrelEsquire said:

:classic_ohmy: ... I thought I was the only one living with this shame... forever hiding my insatiable hunger for more and more overscan...

..smirking in sadistic glee as that pathetic, little, speedometer, drips off the edge of my screen like an infantile Salvador Dali impersonation...

..while unbeknownst, a pixelated horror from the deep grows larger and larger...

..consuming all until there is nothing left but the cold, black, ASCII void... 

And welcome to the forums, young squire and poet!

Moar commentary!

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

And welcome to the forums, young squire and poet!

Moar commentary!

Thank you!

I'm excited to reveal a Lovecraftian novella inspired by the real-life events of a lone console gamer stranded deep in the New England rally stage wilderness. Tormented by his inability to judge distance; unable to reach the door handle within the non-Euclidean BMW M1 prison he finds himself in, 'A Dashboard Too Far' pushes the very limits of the FOV-horror genre.

• Like 3

@SquirrelEsquire And what a wonderful addition that would make to the game. Forget the Dirtfish Rally School, it will be the Dunwich Rally School. What unspeakable, tentacled mind shattering terror awaits the unwitting rally rookie. More horrifying even than WRC 8's frame rate and physics!