DiRT Rally 2.0 - Version 1.8 VR Feedback

IMPORTANT: Read and understand this entire opening post before replying, as providing the right amount of detail will help out the team immensely in tracking and resolving any bugs that arise, thanks.

ALSO: This thread is for VR-related issues only. Head to the following thread for general bugs:

DR2_Oculus_Photo_2.jpg

Before posting, please make sure to follow these guidelines. Without adequate information the team will have trouble identifying and fixing bugs, so please provide as much info as you can:

• Check if a bug has already been reported.
  • If a bug has been reported and you are experiencing the same issue, hit the upvote icon: 

image.png

• The more popular bug posts will have a better chance of catching the attention of the team.
  • If a bug cannot be reproduced, it cannot be fixed.
  • When you experience a bug, please try to trigger said bug again if you can, and show us the steps you went through to trigger it.
  • Text steps are good, video even better.
  • One bug per post please, for our tracking purposes. That way every bug gets its own URL for us to investigate.

Please also provide the following:

• What platform you're playing on (Steam or Oculus).
  • What headset you're using.
  • What your PC setup/build is like (graphics card, processor etc.).
  • Whether you're a Standard or Deluxe user (Steam only).
  • Whether or not you have any non-standard peripherals connected, like steering wheels, gaming mice etc.
  • Like 1

After the update it is not possible to record telemetry data when using VR (works without VR). Neither RDA nor SimHub gets any data on the port 20777. 

For someone who doesn't enjoy driving without VR, and take setups & tuning seriously, this is quite a bummer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can't believe that the no audio issue of the Oculus Home version has not yet been fixed. Some Oculus users have to create a Steam shortcut and launch the game from there to get audio from the game, otherwise it's completely muted, no sound on the menus and no sound from the races. I already reported it with 1.7, some other users confirmed the issue and there is a reddit thread talking about the issue. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/cnx507/dirt_20_oculus_version_no_audio/

Please Codemasters, fix this extremely annoying problem, the Steam shortcut is just a workaround.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AadHofman said:

After the update it is not possible to record telemetry data when using VR (works without VR). Neither RDA nor SimHub gets any data on the port 20777. 

For someone who doesn't enjoy driving without VR, and take setups & tuning seriously, this is quite a bummer. 

I had the same. Non VR my NLRv3 and Simhub works but in VR it doesn't. That's because a new hardware config VR file was added. You have to copy your motion 'lines' from the default hardware settings file to the new hardware config VR file and then it works again. 

Hope this helps also for you. 

Edited by BrianBosch
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Platform: Steam

VR Headset: Oculus Rift S

PC: i7-2600k, 16GB RAM, nVidia 1060 6GB

Wheel: Thrustmaster TX

I installed 1.8 today, 1.7 was working fine

Now when I try to drive the game stutters badly around every 2-3 seconds regularly. Completely unplayable. The stuttering then carries on into the menus. It's not present when the game first starts.

Also the new update reset all my graphics options, which was a bit annoying having played around with them to get them right for my system.

Help appreciated!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Played and tested the new 1.8 in VR (Steam/Oculus Rift/1080ti). First of all great that you can choose to start in 2D or VR via steam menu. I always race in VR and my son in 2D. 
VR mode seems to be equally the same as before. I expected UI text the be larger or closer by.

I think performance wise no changes (is that correct?) and I'm already satisfied with the VR performance so far. 

• Agree 1

Steam /i7 8700K / 2080ti / 32GB / SSD only / CSW2.5+Porsche Rim / Samsung Odyssey+

Still no mouse support

Has the developers ever used the UI with the steering wheel? I do not believe. Has nothing to do with ergonomics😕

Performance is only okay, but I habe a 2080ti - it is the peak of  actual graficcards, and the perormance is only "OK" . There is a lot of details I had to switched off. I regret those with older graphics cards. A friend of mine has a 1080ti and it is nearly impssibel to play the game in VR😕

That is not good advertising...

Edited by Flens07

1 hour ago, BrianBosch said:

I had the same. Non VR my NLRv3 and Simhub works but in VR it doesn't. That's because a new hardware config VR file was added. You have to copy your motion 'lines' from the default hardware settings file to the new hardware config VR file and then it works again. 

Hope this helps also for you. 

Thanks for the info! Can't believe I didn't see the new file, when checking the folder(!).

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Steam/HTC Vive/i5-4690/GTX 970/Thrustmaster TX

Tried both low and ultra low settings with the recommended modifications (AA off, no ground cover/crowds, etc.), and while frame rate is good I find that the world view is very laggy in VR. Interestingly enough the UI overlays don't lag at all. It's very noticeable when you turn or move your head, and the effect is pretty nauseating. I've recorded the effect in the pause menu in the following Reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dirtgame/comments/cz90yi/dr2_vr_camera_lag_in_18_openvrvive

The effect doesn't look as severe in a 30fps video, but you can see the green starting line sign lagging behind the menu text.

The real weird thing is I had no lag in VR the day before yesterday, but when I launched around 0930 BST (the 1.8 patch got queued for download right after I launched) I experienced very, very heavy lag of this sort. With the 1.8 patch this lag is reduced, but still in the unplayable category.

• Agree 1

I just bought and installed Dirt Rally 2.0, version 1.8, via the Oculus store.

I have absolutely NO SOUND!

I've tried switching between outputs in Windows, but there's no sound coming from any of them, from this game.

There is definitely sound present in the Oculus VR home screen, so the Rift seems to be correctly setup there.

Hi,

I am using the Steam VR version of the game and just upgraded to 1.8.

I can see the additional content like world championship and dirt fish but I dont see the following options anywhere:

• Added option allowing players to choose whether to launch the game in 2D Mode or VR Mode.
  • Added support for separate graphics presets between 2D Mode and VR Mode.

How do I launch the game in VR mode? When clicking on the desktop icon it automatically launches the 2D mode.

Kieran

Please fix all these remaining regressions compared to Dirt Rally 1 (sorry, too many of them to make a single post for each):

• Disable SteamVR's chaperonne grid.
  • The in-race menu is still hard to read, put it on the steering wheel and big enough, like in DR1.
  • Remove the in-race menu blur effect, it prevents seeing the effects of changing graphical settings live. It hurts the framerate, too.
  • Mouse support in the menu.
    Edit:
  • Option for 3D replays
  • Push back the mirror planes through their frames. They look 3D in DR1 thanks to this trick, in 2.0 they are flat.
Edited by Toltloc
  • Agree 6

[Redacted, duplicate report]

Edited by Toltloc

A dark spot/texture/thing appears in the middle of vision in some contexts.
To repro: go to Free Roam in DirtFish (dry) with the first car (the Mini Cooper), once in the car, look at the left or right door, the ghost black texture will be there.

Steam / Vive Pro / GF 1080 Ti + i7 8086K / Deluxe edition

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

My main problem is still that camera and head movements are not exactly matched in the car, like there is a latency. It's alright in the menu.

I've tried everything in 1.7: not a performance issue, changed about all the settings back and forth, disabled Motion Smoothing, re-plugged my old Vive.

It's the same in 1.8 with the Index at least. If needed I can plug back my Vive in to try again, but it seems it wasn't worked on.

• Platform: Steam
  • Headset: Index
  • PC: i5 4590, 8GB RAM, GTX 1070
  • Deluxe edition

Note: others also reported it with a different hardware or point of view

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

Hi Codemasters,

I'm still experiencing the VR stuttering that everyone has been complaining about for a while now.

I have the settings turned mostly to minimums and I've done everything listed in the guide (I think) to help optimize things, including running in windowed mode, etc.

Interestingly, it seems to run smoother now with shaders set to high rather than low.

It doesn't seem to be a frame rate issue, but rather something to do with the head tracking.  When I keep my head still I don't get the stuttering, but it's directly associated with head movement.

I checked CPU and GPU usage, and I'm wondering if this isn't the root of the problem.  The game is only using 70%-80% of my GPU, whereas comparing to other games like Project Cars 2 (also running in SteamVR) they use the full resources and I have no issues at all running with basically full graphics settings (never have).  I noticed a number of players complaining about this same issue with regard to non-VR back in February 2019 before some fix was implemented that seemed to solve their issue.  Could this be similar or related?   

With settings near minimum the game is playable, but there's still some stuttering.  I've tried removing a USB device like suggested when in game, which is a very odd suggestion and I'm not sure how this is helping but I'd love some insight into the reasoning here.  It does make the game hiccup for a quick second, but doesn't seem to help smooth the issue at all.  I haven't had any other USB related issues with performance in any other software.

I feel like I should be able to get at least medium graphics quality with the hardware I'm running.  I'd be happy to help test out anything you think might work.

I have also attached hardware_settings_config_vr.xml

i7 4770K
16GB RAM
GTX1070
Windows 10
Logitech G29 w/shifter
Saitek X52 for E-brake
Oculus Rift (running in SteamVR)
Steam Deluxe Version

You have a great game here and I'm having a lot of fun with it.  I'd just really like to be able to appreciate the beauty that I'm missing.  Please keep up the good work and let me know what I can do to turn the settings up!

Thanks,

BH68

hardware_settings_config_vr.xml

• Agree 1

Tried the steam version 1.8

No differsence, same stuttering , same small text

Tried oculus store version 1.8

Still no sound, still like 32 colurs on dark ereas and nigth stages

• Agree 1

On 9/3/2019 at 8:19 PM, Flens07 said:

Steam /i7 8700K / 2080ti / 32GB / SSD only / CSW2.5+Porsche Rim / Samsung Odyssey+

Still no mouse support

Has the developers ever used the UI with the steering wheel? I do not believe. Has nothing to do with ergonomics😕

Performance is only okay, but I habe a 2080ti - it is the peak of  actual graficcards, and the perormance is only "OK" . There is a lot of details I had to switched off. I regret those with older graphics cards. A friend of mine has a 1080ti and it is nearly impssibel to play the game in VR😕

That is not good advertising...

i play with a 1050ti in VR and its not that bad tbh 😄

• Agree 1

On 9/3/2019 at 9:56 PM, ChampionHawker said:

Steam/HTC Vive/i5-4690/GTX 970/Thrustmaster TX

Tried both low and ultra low settings with the recommended modifications (AA off, no ground cover/crowds, etc.), and while frame rate is good I find that the world view is very laggy in VR. Interestingly enough the UI overlays don't lag at all. It's very noticeable when you turn or move your head, and the effect is pretty nauseating. I've recorded the effect in the pause menu in the following Reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dirtgame/comments/cz90yi/dr2_vr_camera_lag_in_18_openvrvive

The effect doesn't look as severe in a 30fps video, but you can see the green starting line sign lagging behind the menu text.

The real weird thing is I had no lag in VR the day before yesterday, but when I launched around 0930 BST (the 1.8 patch got queued for download right after I launched) I experienced very, very heavy lag of this sort. With the 1.8 patch this lag is reduced, but still in the unplayable category.

what in the actual **** shoud this video tell me xD xD xD

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I bought Day One edition and installed into Steam. Immediately had bad stuttering and lag through various updates until a couple of months ago, when it worked OK finally in 2D. Then when VR came out, same thing. I can't run any preset above "low" and even then I have to turn off the settings recommended in an earlier guide (Ambient Occlusion, ground cover etc.) My machine should easily run Ultra but the stutter and lag is extreme, so I reduce settings as above (low or off) until the stutter is small enough to cope with and play (though stage times are still impacted by the momentary freezing). CPU and GPU show low load levels during the game.

• Platform is Steam VR, all DLC downloaded.
  • Oculus Rift CV1 headset.
  • PC is X299, Intel 7900X cpu OC'd to 4.4 (8 cores) / 4.6 (2 cores), RTX2080ti OC'd using Precision X1 scanner, 32GB Ram, game is installed on C: drive nvme ssd, custom loop cooling CPU, GPU and VRM.
  • Day One edition (standard?) with all DLC.
  • Lots of peripherals - Thrustmaster TX servo base wheel, T3PA pedals (USB connected), TH8A shifter, Heusinkveld handbrake, BBJ button box, 2 x keyboard (1 x wireless), mouse, various sound devices, Oculus Rift (all sensors unplugged except one now for this issue), 3 screens connected in addition to the Oculus headset.

I've tried disconnecting as many USB devices as possible. I tried running Supersampling "2" and changing refresh rate manually to 90 from 60 but the config VR file returned to default settings afterwards. Resolution is 1600 x 900 in the config VR file.

On 9/3/2019 at 9:34 AM, PJTierney said:
  • Oculus
  • CV1
  • i5-8600k, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 1070
  • G29 Wheel

The game runs great.  Love it. 

However, after the 1.8 update, I get squished/distorted overlay text (Turn Hints, Time, Progress, "Hold Handbrake, etc.)

2051159202_DirtRally2Screenshot2019_09.07-02_32_21_57.thumb.png.d554f462df8dcd10f9e36e2add45d03a.pngThe only other thing that I think would matter is that I have also run the game in desktop mode with "-novr" but I run the game normally through Oculus home.

• Like 1

Please fix or provide an option to reduce the extreme image contrast, resulting in almost constant over-exposure in cockpit and extreme scene brightness fluctuations. To reproduce: get in any car, any stage in Sweden with heavy snow weather, lean forward against the windshield then back, notice the huge brightness change and how, when sitting back, the outside is way too bright (over-exposed). Sweden under heavy snow is simply unplayable in VR, I had to stop my career because of this.

Edited by Toltloc
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6

Tested on 2 pc's

PC 1:

Ryzen 5 3600

16GB ram

1TB SSD drive

1080ti Evga Hybrid liquid cooled.

PC2

I7 9700

16GBram

4x 1TB SSDs

GTX 2080

Windows 10 Pro.  Steam.  SteamVR and beta was tested.  WIth and without reprojection (which is needlessly hard to toggle with that shift-a shortcut key) This game runs terribly.  There is a stutter that occurs at a given period every 2 to 3 seconds.  You can time it and you can set your watch to it.  It is ALWAYS THERE regardless of the detail onscreen.

I have turned ALL details to absolute minimum.  All SteamVR settings to absolute minimum.  My render resolution is 20%.  This is makes the game look like minecraft.  And it STILL runs like a slideshow.

On BOTH machines, the Oculus version of the game runs perfectly.  THe steam VR title is complete garbage.

Please publish the Oculus version on Steam using a beta opt in for Rift owners with the steam version of the game.

I have tested the Oculus version (which I refuse to buy.  I REFUSE TO BUY THIS GAME TWICE!!!) and it works so well. so smooth.  Please sort your issues out.

• Like 1

Hi hopefully ok to report my first feedback after the 1.8.1 update with regards to VR

Playing DR2.0 Deluxe version on PC Steam with an Oculus Rift. 

Could be placebo or real fact (?)--> I changed nothing on my side but it seems VR runs much smoother. Even during night stages and heavy rain. Looks gorgeous

I also noticed while running several daily challenges that only the first stage (bonus challenge heavy raining Argentina) the UI was larger and clearly readable. Great!!
But all other daily stages the old smaller (and unreadable) text. I did not test it by going back to main menu and start another daily challenge. I stayed in the same mode and proceeded with the daily challenges accordingly. 

Edited by BrianBosch

1.8 version is a lot better for me! I used to have a framedrop every ~5 seconds. Now it just stutters horribly when looking to the sides swiftly. If I do it slow enough, no problem. When focusing on the road, no problem. Meaning it is at least playable!

SteamVR version on Windows 10 Home

Rift S - i7 8700K - GTX 1070 TI - 16 GB RAM - SSD M2 - Fanatec CSL Elite - TH8a - diy usb handbrake - usb numpad as buttonbox

I did hear the Oculus version works better, so I hope you will make that available for us Steamy pre-ordering fanatics (don't we deserve it?)