Sign in to follow this  

Favourite/Least favourite rallies?

I'm just curious to see to see everyone's opinion on this, really 😛 I'm ordering my preferences from 1 (favourite) to 10 (least favourite);

1. New Zealand
One half exhilaratingly fast and flowing, the other half twisting and technical. All within beautiful scenery and with pacenotes that I can trust - it's an absolute joy to drive!

2. Wales
An absolute classic - the roads are varied, fun and incredibly memorable. One half is partiularly challenging and the other half is especially joyous. I fell in love with Wales in DR1 and still love it here.

3. Monte Carlo
Rejuvinated in DiRT Rally 2.0 with much improved ice and snow and some improved pacenotes too. It's an incredibly fun technical challenge which often puts your control of the pedals to the test.

4. Germany
The tarmac physics may not be ideal, but it's still fun to drive. I'm a fan of the German scenery and enjoy the technical, undulating roads, complete with the corners which defined the "be brave!" co-driver call to me.

5. Australia
Gorgeous scenery and challenging, enjoyable roads with the best jumps in the game. The fences, trees, cliffs and drops lining the roads here are absolutely brutal - lose focus for a second and Australia bites hard.

6. Argentina
It's slow and torturous, with plenty of unseen hairpins and unforgiving rocks lining the road. Being a different challenge to the other rallies in the game makes it good in my eyes.

7. Poland
Terrifyingly fast and unforgiving, with banks constantly lining the sides of the road. Often frustrating too, as I often end up on the wrong side of the incredibly thin margin for error. When I hook it up, however, it's quite rewarding.

8. Spain
Fast and flowing, and a very different challenge to Germany, but for whatever reason I can't get myself to love this location.

9. Sweden
I suck on snow. Simple as that! 😂

10. United States
I just don't enjoy myself here. The roads are boring and the pacenotes are worse here than in any other location - I simply can't trust Phil and it sucks the enjoyment out of this location even more.

I can't really put a 1-10 order on this so we'll just go with:

Favourite: New Zealand

Least favourite: Poland - which would be replaced with Finland (crest, crest, crest, crest) if I were ever foolish enough to buy it.

1. Monte-Carlo, Monaco
  2. Hawke's Bay, New Zealand
  3. New England, United States
  4. Catamarca Province, Argentina
  5. Powys, Wales
  6. Łęczna County, Poland
  7. Monaro, Australia
  8. Baumholder, Germany
  9. Värmland, Sweden
  10. Ribadelles, Spain

But I enjoy all of them in their own ways.

This is a hard one, they each have their own character which can make them fun in specific scenarios.

But if I had to do a general listing:

1. Wales - it's just an absolute blast to drive
  2. New England - not sure exactly what I love the most about it, but you get a huge variety of fast + technical stuff in some very fun and loose gravel
  3. Sweden - I don't get why so many hate it, sliding on the snow is a blast!

Bottom 3 would be:

1. Spain - unless I'm in the Mustang going full drift-mode, it's meh for me. If we could have a few stages that broke off onto the dirty dusty side roads I'd love this stage way more
  2. Poland - it's been growing on me, but still pretty "meh" in general. I think all the cuts turn me off the most
  3. Monte - it's fun in its own way, but rarely do I pick this location for MP or fun TT sessions
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mike Dee said:

This is a hard one, they each have their own character which can make them fun in specific scenarios.

But if I had to do a general listing:

1. Wales - it's just an absolute blast to drive
  2. New England - not sure exactly what I love the most about it, but you get a huge variety of fast + technical stuff in some very fun and loose gravel
  3. Sweden - I don't get why so many hate it, sliding on the snow is a blast!

Bottom 3 would be:

1. Spain - unless I'm in the Mustang going full drift-mode, it's meh for me. If we could have a few stages that broke off onto the dirty dusty side roads I'd love this stage way more
  2. Poland - it's been growing on me, but still pretty "meh" in general. I think all the cuts turn me off the most
  3. Monte - it's fun in its own way, but rarely do I pick this location for MP or fun TT sessions

Yes, agree for the most part. I love New England, Poland, Australia, New Zealand and Wales. I kind of enjoy Sweden...tolerate Germany and Spain - and loathe Monte Carlo. 

I am very much looking forward to Greece...adored that Rally in DR1. And then Finland...does not get any better than that for me personally. Max attack, flat out grab your nuts and hold on to your hats!

Edited by Buckwilder
  • Like 1

1. Wales - Being a Brit, it strikes home with me with relatable scenery.

2. Monte Carlo - A classic rally and I like to think I've mastered the icy sections.

3. Germany - Not everyone's cup of tea but it's probably the best one for putting your foot down. 

4. New Zealand - A very enjoyable, varied event with a vast array of flat out and twisty sections.

5. Sweden - Detested it in DR1 but I think I've since improved on snowy surfaces and enjoy it much more now.

6. Argentina - Hated it at first but have got to grips with driving more conservatively and now I don't mind it.

7. Spain - I normally love tarmac rallies but this just feels bland and repetitive. Maybe more down to personal opinion than it being a genuinely poor rally.

8. Poland - Feel like I should love it but a mixture of overpowered AI and ridiculously fast sections mean that I've never managed to enjoy it that much. 

9. Australia - Loved it in CM04/05 but can't help crashing in to the fences or wrapping the car round a tree on DR2. 

10. USA - Just nothing about it is enjoyable for me. As mentioned above, the pacenotes are unreliable and the colours don't look realistic. 

Edited by ebarbs27

1 hour ago, ebarbs27 said:

1. Wales - Being a Brit, it strikes home with me with relatable scenery.

2. Monte Carlo - A classic rally and I like to think I've mastered the icy sections.

3. Germany - Not everyone's cup of tea but it's probably the best one for putting your foot down. 

4. New Zealand - A very enjoyable, varied event with a vast array of flat out and twisty sections.

5. Sweden - Detested it in DR1 but I think I've since improved on snowy surfaces and enjoy it much more now.

6. Argentina - Hated it at first but have got to grips with driving more conservatively and now I don't mind it.

7. Spain - I normally love tarmac rallies but this just feels bland and repetitive. Maybe more down to personal opinion than it being a genuinely poor rally.

8. Poland - Feel like I should love it but a mixture of overpowered AI and ridiculously fast sections mean that I've never managed to enjoy it that much. 

9. Australia - Loved it in CM04/05 but can't help crashing in to the fences or wrapping the car round a tree on DR2. 

10. USA - Just nothing about it is enjoyable for me. As mentioned above, the pacenotes are unreliable and the colours don't look realistic. 

They certainly do though.

Germany is my favorite because it's more like driving a circuit than a road.

Argentina is my least favorite because it's just too windy.

Least favourite is probs Spain, yet one of my favourite’s is Germany... even though the physics are the same i just find Germany so much more interesting, fun and varied.

New Zealand favourite easily. As a Kiwi it’s so accurate on our rally roads and just fun on the cambered fast sweeping corners. 

Spain least favourite. Just find it boring. 

1.) New England

2.) New Zealand

3.) Sweden

4.) Wales

5.) Poland (used to hate it but it's grown on me)

6.) Australia

7.) Monte Carlo

8.) Spain

9.) Germany (bland and boring, too many square/hairpin corners. the small foresty section is the best part but it's always over too quickly)

10.) Argentina (tooo many bumps and hairpins, and toooo slow for me).

Edited by Tranzitive

Almost every location has at least one awesome long stage, either in one direction and/or the other so - as many said before - it's tough to order your preferences from most to least favourites. 

Sweden is probably my favourite. I got hooked up since I drove it the first time in a daily right after release. I think it's an absolute blast, plus, summers are getting hotter and hotter in Germany and it might have a tiny little bit of (placebo) cooling effect on me. ^^

New Zealand has to be among my favourites just for Waimarama point. Absolutely love that fast and flowing stage. New England is on the same level, just as Australia and Wales. They're all amazing. Poland is a bit problematic for all the 'alternative lines' it offers, but man, I love Zarobka and Zagorze. Germany is in as well just for the amazing Waldaufstieg, the uphill section through the forest and the challenging middle section are an absolute blast. 

Unfortunately I do not enjoy Monte Carlo as much as I used to. Really loved the traction changes between ice, snow and tarmac, but the feel of the ice sections has changed after the FFB update, it was different before. Such an iconic location, a real shame. Spain is also one of my least favourites, I just don't enjoy it as much as other rallies. Argentina probably because I'm just &%§$ at it.

Edited by richie

1. New Zealand
Pure fun with technical sections and fast sectors, really addicting and satisfying

2. Wales
Still memorable as it should be.

3. Australia
At first, a real nightmare. Now i love it, it's great for those drivers who likes slow/careful sections (like me y'know)

4. Monte Carlo
Still unforgiving and hard AF on the mixed asphalt/ice section. A masterpiece.

5. Germany
I'm still trying to make those U turns with style

6. Argentina
Same as Australia, but El Rodeo is still a huge obstacle for my self esteem

7. Sweden
Sometimes is hard AF, sometimes is the funniest rally of all

8. Poland
Not My favourite except for those few fast paced stages where i can handle the car without prayers

9. USA
this "always-autumn" athmosphere works for a while, the stages are average and there are few traps and tricks. It's funny with an indomitable Group B car, but maybe for representing a whole continent it offers too few things

10. Spain
Interesting concept but quite boring, shame for the lack of towns and tight turns

• Like 1

Tier 1: Monte Carlo & Sweden. I really like snow.

Tier 2: US, Poland, Argentina, Australia, Wales, New Zealand. they're all excellent. I just like the top two a little more.

Tier 3: Germany. I like the tight turns and stuff, but the straights are very straight and it makes things a little boring. the section I like the most is the little forested bit at the beginning of Oberstein/Waldaufsteig. so Germany is fine, I just like it less than the others.

Tier 5: Spain. tarmac physics are worse than in Germany for some reason. people on here say it has something to do with the camber and smoother asphalt you get in Spain.... I don't know, it just feels weird. Honestly, I liked Spain more (like, the environment and the turns) in Dirt 4. (Don't tell anyone but I feel the same about Wales because in D4 you could do like 12km of twisty stuff in the trees if you wanted, which was totally amazing)

23 hours ago, DoubleTen said:

9. USA
 maybe for representing a whole continent it offers too few things

I mean, I agree, but it's not trying to represent a whole continent. it's representing New England. I'm from just north of there in Quebec and it represents what autumn looks like here pretty well too. the stages in game just represent very specific stages from real-life rallies - and even the stages in-game don't necessarily represent all the stages from the whole rally. it's just a very specific selection.

to take another example (from a country I have travelled and lived in a bit), Argentina's stages exactly don't represent all of Argentina (much less South America). they're not meant to. you could make stages from real roads in Argentina that look quite a lot like the roads in DR2 from Poland, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, Finland, Greece or even Monte Carlo. 

so, don't worry about that stuff too much haha

Edited by ianism
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ianism said:

it's representing New England. I'm from just north of there in Quebec and it represents what autumn looks like here pretty well too. the stages in game just represent very specific stages from real-life rallies - and even the stages in-game don't necessarily represent all the stages from the whole rally. it's just a very specific selection.

to take another example (from a country I have travelled and lived in a bit), Argentina's stages exactly don't represent all of Argentina (much less South America). they're not meant to. you could make stages from real roads in Argentina that look quite a lot like the roads in DR2 from Poland, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, Finland, Greece or even Monte Carlo. 

so, don't worry about that stuff too much haha

I agree about the specific stages in specific real based locations.

I'm just saying: you have an ocean-to-ocean continent, yet you have chosen a quite boring specific stage, that's it.

For example: only one river passing, a lot of straights, a lot of "right 5 left 5" and orange/brown leaves

• Like 1

It constantly changes, here's my current ranking:

1. Wales - By far the best. And second most beautiful setting after Sweden.
  2. Monte Carlo - Moved up quite a bit, I just love the ice and the tarmac sections are also much more fun than Germany and Spain.
  3. Sweden - I used to hate it, but after figuring out better controller settings I'm loving it now (I further increased linearity to 9--really helps). Also the most beautiful setting.
  4. Argentina - Went down a bit because with time the camera issue gets ever more annoying and I just want to drive Wales instead.
  5. Australia - don't know much to say about it really. It's fun and can be pretty terrifying. Kinda similar to Wales, but not as good.
  6. USA - In principle I like it, but lighting conditions are annoying. There are 10 different conditions available, and one of them has good visibility. Did the current Group A weekly yesterday and all stages had bad visibility. Eurgh.
  7. New Zealand - It's fine, but... I don't know, I don't find it very exciting.
  8. Poland - also went down further because this ultra high speed terror is a bit much for me. Also I seem to struggle most with the pace notes here.
  9. Spain - I don't like tarmac, but once in a while it's ok.
  10. Germany - I don't like tarmac, and I don't like how you have to memorise the stages if you want even the faintest idea of when to brake.

Greece will be competing for #1, imo that was one of the two best locations in DR1, with Wales just barely taking the edge. Really looking forward to that.

by the way, I used to hate Poland because it was so hard to stay on the road at high speed. now I've gotten better though, and I really like it.

1 hour ago, DoubleTen said:

I agree about the specific stages in specific real based locations.

I'm just saying: you have an ocean-to-ocean continent, yet you have chosen a quite boring specific stage, that's it.

For example: only one river passing, a lot of straights, a lot of "right 5 left 5" and orange/brown leaves

ah, yeah, I know.... pretty sure they picked it because the rally stages in the US tend to go through that kind of terrain. I personally like it, and I think they chose autumn to provide more variety to the colour palette of the game. if it was summer/spring, it'd be just another green/brown stage. this way it stands out way more.

I do miss Utah from Dirt 2 though. (jump to 0:45 secs to skip a very long boring straight)

Edited by ianism

Nice setting but lol that soundtrack 🤢 almost forgot about it because obviously I turned it off.

"My rides"... 😉

• Like 1

For me it’s really difficult to make a list because I love every rally of this game. All of them have something, and they are really close to what you can see in the real one. And I’m always reconsidering my preferences, so maybe if tomorrow I make another list, my list would be different.

01 – Wales: This rally has all you need to enjoy rallying. Technical sections, fast sections, uphill and downhills, jumps, mud.. what I can say.

02 – Monte Carlo: Sometimes it can be frustrating, but it’s a classic and they mastered this rally. Way better than in DR 1. Grip changes are totally amazing.

03 – New Zealand: Time to go really fast in incredible fast and flowing sections. It’s just incredible to put down the foot with a WRC.

04 – Australia: I really love these stages. They are fast but you have to be very cautious with your speed or you will hit a tree in just a second.

05 – Germany: The speed there is stunning. And a “classic modern rally” in the WRC (always in the calendar since 2002). Sometimes it’s really difficult to know where you have to break.

06 – Spain: I’m from Spain, and they did a great job modelling this real stage in Tarragona. I love every corner of this stage; I always smile when I feel that I’m doing a good job pushing the limits of the car.

07 – Sweden: I really enjoy this rally, and they improved a lot since DR 1. It’s a classic, and I love it. For me was a big surprise in Season content: I didn’t expect that I would love it so much. They made a huge improvement on this surface and in fact, I think it should be higher on my list.

08 – Argentina: They made an incredible job and I think it’s really close to the famous stage of Rally Argentina “El Condor”. But sometimes it’s too dizzy because of the bumps. In my opinion, El Condor is a very special stage of Rally Argentina, and of course, very famous because of the characteristics of the road and scenario, but in my opinion, there are a lot of incredible stages on this rally that maybe would be a little bit more interesting. I would like “El Condor” and another stage of this rally.

09 – New England: Sometimes I feel it exciting, sometimes boring. I can’t explain and it depends of the day.

10 – Poland: Terrific speed, sometimes it’s just impossible to know what will happens. And for me, the worst pace notes of all the game. I can’t match my rhythm with the pace notes: sometimes they are way too optimistic, sometimes they are just too slow. And sometimes the notes are not enough accurated and you just go off the road. Yeah, the rally itself is good, the scenario too, and it looks like the real one, but I struggle with the notes. Maybe being not native in English (I’m from Spain), and playing with the amazing notes of Phill Mills, doesn’t help either. But as I see, I’m not the only one who struggle with this notes.

• Like 1

Argentina - pure misery. Bump, rattle rattle, bump; hit a rock, die. Repeat. I can’t get myself to like this rally.

Sweden - awesome fun. As it happens, the only good thing about winter in Sweden is driving fast in an AWD car on snowy/icy roads.

I just wish there was more randomness to the road side and surface. I don’t like that the road is surrounded by snow walls without variation.

Wales - great atmosphere, I love the feel of the surface and the twists and turns are great fun to toss the car around.

New Zealand - can be really fun and really frustrating. When you get into the right groove it’s awesome, but if you lose that (which is particularly easy here) everything goes to sh...

I wish CM would have made the look and feel closer to the real thing though. The Waanga coast, or whatever it’s called, looks so awesome judging by the images and videos that are out there. Also, the designers went a bit wild with the shrubbery.

Poland - I love Poland (the real thing, that is) and this does look like the polish countryside to me. There’s also something right about driving like a pole, in Poland. In case you don’t know what it means, they drive like Italians over there. Minus any sense of self preservation.

New England - looks beautiful and drives great. I just need to learn how to handle hairpins better.

I like the fact that there are some places with hidden rocks in the high grass. 

Spain and Germany - they’re alright but the tarmac handling brings them down.

1. Finland

2. Poland

3. Germany

4. Wales

5. Sweden

6. Monte Carlo

7. Australia

8. New Zealand

9. Greece

10. Usa

11. Argentina

12. Spain

Edited by J89

1. Sweden - My home rally and very fun, especially at night. Much improved since DR1.

2. Wales - Favourite rally from DR1, love the mud!

3. New Zealand - Awesome flow, like it in the rain.

4. New England - Muddy in rain, tricky with all the stones hidden beside the road so keep it tight.

5. Australia - Just doesn't know why but it's fun. Favourite country from CM1.

6. Germany - Hated it in DR1 but now it's a lot of fun with many hairpins.

7. Monte Carlo - Could be number two on this list but impossible do drive with auto gearbox as I do on my controller.

8. Poland - To fast with controller, will probably love it when I have a steering wheel again.

9. Spain - Nope, just hate it.

10. Argentina - Always terminal damaged...

1 argentina

2 germany

3 new zeland

4 monte carlo

5 wales

6 australia

7 us

8 wales

9  swedem

10 spain

11 poland