Is the WRC license really a loss?

I often see people say it’s a shame Codemasters don’t have the official WRC license. Now with the release of WRC 8, I’m thinking...

Is it because of the license that the choice of cars is so boring? If that’s the case, screw that licensing deal. The cars in Dirt Rally are so much more fun. Especially with the DLC, DR has a wonderful variety of both modern and historic cars.

Only thing I would like to see more of in the future, are more older cars and oddities. Please give me a Volvo 240, an old two stroke Saab, Alfa Giulia Sprint and so on. There are so many cool cars that are not necessarily “fast and furious”, but cool and interesting and fun.

Codemasters are definitely on the right track in this regard. It’s so much more fun to have a wide range of cars, instead of just the most recent and then a few classics just for good measure.

What do you think?

• Agree 9

Until they develop and release Dirt Rally 3, we should get more DLC cars, not just which already presented on a dead line chart, nut never released ones like GrB Lada Vfts. Licencing couldn't be a probleme nowdays no Ladas in Motorsport.

2-3 DLC cars per half a year could be a right deal. Defenitely "must buy" contents for all rally fans.
CM should grab some more money IMO

A Volvo 240 would be so awesome. Who knows what the future will bring. Concerning the WRC license I think Codies would definitely deserve it. DR2.0 handling and physics are absolutely fantastic and having all WRC cars would've been really nice, but, being the official WRC game Codies would be limited in their design freedom. There's still a good variety in the R5 class, it's fun and covers modern rally perfectly in my view. 

Completely agree with you. I find the Hyundai and Toyota thing annoying, but the variety of cars is superb and the modern classes represent pretty much the top cars at every continental and national evert around the world - fingers crossed there's a "Year Two" pass one day with some more development of the historic and modern classes...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, richie said:

A Volvo 240 would be so awesome. Who knows what the future will bring. Concerning the WRC license I think Codies would definitely deserve it. DR2.0 handling and physics are absolutely fantastic and having all WRC cars would've been really nice, but, being the official WRC game Codies would be limited in their design freedom. There's still a good variety in the R5 class, it's fun and covers modern rally perfectly in my view. 

It’s that limited design freedom I would see as a problem, and not worth the price. If Codies could get the license with no strings attached and no questions asked, then it would obviously be a good thing. Now I think the greater design freedom has allowed for a better game and richer game.

(Not hating on WRC 8 btw, I’ll soon make a thread about what Codemasters should learn from that game. Another topic though).

I have a sort love/hate relationship with the Volvo 240. See, there was this thing way back when my Alfa broke down and I needed a car asap.

By the Alfa breaking down it's not what you think. Got plenty of those breakdowns too. What I mean is I went too fast on a gravel road in a blizzard. Driving fast on snowy gravel roads is apparently difficult. Doing so when you’re suddenly blinded by the blizzard is even harder. Apparently.

So my brother was kind enough to loan me an old 240 until I found a new car. It was like driving a container. With rear wheel drive. And a locked diff. Terrible car. But still, it worked. And you could slide it like nothing else. Plus, you could almost stand inside the engine bay when fixing the alternator...

Yeah, Dirt Rally needs a 240. And a Saab.

• Haha 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gregow said:

It’s that limited design freedom I would see as a problem, and not worth the price. If Codies could get the license with no strings attached and no questions asked, then it would obviously be a good thing. Now I think the greater design freedom has allowed for a better game and richer game.

(Not hating on WRC 8 btw, I’ll soon make a thread about what Codemasters should learn from that game. Another topic though).

I've been thinking exactly the same thing. the WRC seems to like controlling things very tightly. just look at their online streaming service, which is paid monthly like Netflix. in comparison, the World RX Championship puts everything on Youtube for free. sure, the audience for the WRX is smaller, but to me it shows a different philosophy.

18 minutes ago, ianism said:

I've been thinking exactly the same thing. the WRC seems to like controlling things very tightly. just look at their online streaming service, which is paid monthly like Netflix. in comparison, the World RX Championship puts everything on Youtube for free. sure, the audience for the WRX is smaller, but to me it shows a different philosophy.

Right, and organizations like the FIA can control the rules, regulations and tracks/stages, but.... The true spirit of rally will always be that drunk finn, getting a midnight call from a girl, taking his old beat up Toyota Camry and his best pal 40 miles to Jyväskylä, That's rally, no matter how you formalize it. 

Of course, it's not just about the finns. You also have crazy Scots, Irish, Spaniards, Germans, Italians and so on - all competing about who gets to that girl first. Take whatever car you have hidden away in your barn and drive the doors off of it. On gravel, snow, ice or tarmac.  

Don't get me wrong now. I think the current WRC cars are helluva cool. I think the stages/rallies are awesome. But, I don't want a game that is limited to those. Give me a rusty Camry, finn edition, to see what I can do with it. Or an old Impreza, Delta, Quattro or whatever. On top of that it would be cool with current WRC cars (and DR has some R5 cars if I'm not mistaken).

In regards to rallies/stages I think it's most important to capture the feel, or essence, of the particular location. Granted, it does feel better if there's some familiarity. But that more like, "I recognize this area". Other than that, it's just about designing them well. I mean, I doubt FIA could stop anyone from making rally stages from random locations in Sweden, Finland, Spain, Scotland or whatever. They don't have to be official. They just have to be good. 

It's a bit different in circuit racing, I think. I'd rather drive Spa than some made up circuit, that's for sure. But that's very different from rally.

• Like 3

While I find it a shame to be missing out on the current cars and tracks, i'm really more inclined to the rally golden era of the late 90s till 2004.

What bothers me the most about DR2 is the lack of stages per rally, as there should be another route to pair with the existing one in each rally. Also the fact that the stage length is limited by the engine. A wider range of stages is needed, and since we won't see this one in DR2 I'm hoping DR3 gets the definitive improvement in this area. This game engine is old and we need a new one in order for this series to progress. WRC8's few advantages is the variety of stages, even if they aren't really accurate to their real counterparts.

Another weak spot that has been improved but isn't quite there is the lack of early 2000s cars, and having them put in its own class. Efforts have been made in this game, specially with the return of the so demanded 206 WRC. The next logical step is to approach the Citroen Xsara and SEAT Cordoba and put them all in a special class so that events can be properly done without any handicaps.

Finally but not least important, there's some game design decisions that could've been better regarding My Team. My Team is a platform with so much potential but it looks like it hasn't been properly put to use. While a single-player career mode could've been implemented, My Team could've been the ultimate multiplayer esports platform for everything - a full online career in which ultimately you'd have the conditions to participate in esports events. Just like GRID (2 or Autosport, can't remember) had its own multiplayer career mode.

However, they opted to host all of this stuff outside My Team, and with the arriving of Clubs My Team is mostly useless and inactive apart from Community Events. My Team could've been the whole multiplayer platform, including Clubs. Instead, they chopped the multiplayer into separated modes, creating redundancies.

This game overall is great, not perfect. We'll never achieve the perfect game, because there's so much to add in a game like this that we'll never ever get there. There's no perfection in life. We can, however, learn with each iteration of this Rally series and improve upon the next one. This series is crying out loud for a new engine. There's no point developing a 3rd game in this same engine, because it's getting so limited in so many areas that we are gradually reaching and scratching.

- Stage length.

- Dynamic weather with live terrain and grip deformation/change.

- Staggered starts, both with cars in the stage or invisible.

- Tarmac physics and others

- More realistic and hardcore damage, the current hardcore isn't hardcore enough imo.

Edited by Riggs
  • Agree 7

For me it is a loss, because having current modern WRC cars, possibility to compare them with all the rest - would be just good for game. However this loss is not that big, since I like RWD cars at most, and 2000s ale also great for me. Honestly I've never realized that getting WRC cars license could result in limitations like mentioned above, and if so - it's absolutely not worth. I also think 2010's WRC's (1.6 litre 300 HP) are going to be in DR2.0 sooner or later, as they were in DR1.

@Riggs you mention 206 WRC, but AFAIK "206 rally" mentioned in season 3 official graphics would be 206 kit car? Any confirmed info which one is it going to be?

And last but not least - I think car base in DR2.0 is already pretty solid, but it's not when it comes to rallies. More new rallies is much more important for me than more new cars.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Pioy said:

For me it is a loss, because having current modern WRC cars, possibility to compare them with all the rest - would be just good for game. However this loss is not that big, since I like RWD cars at most, and 2000s ale also great for me. Honestly I've never realized that getting WRC cars license could result in limitations like mentioned above, and if so - it's absolutely not worth. I also think 2010's WRC's (1.6 litre 300 HP) are going to be in DR2.0 sooner or later, as they were in DR1.

@Riggs you mention 206 WRC, but AFAIK "206 rally" mentioned in season 3 official graphics would be 206 kit car? Any confirmed info which one is it going to be?

And last but not least - I think car base in DR2.0 is already pretty solid, but it's not when it comes to rallies. More new rallies is much more important for me than more new cars

There was no 206 kit car. There was the 206 super 1600 or the 206 WRC.

• Agree 2

I'm actually glad it doesn't have the licence. It would force them to shift attention to current WRC cars at the cost of all the other classes. And since R5 is my least favourite non-FWD class in DR2, that'd be even worse for me personally. They'd probably also be more limited in choice of locations.

I mean, what's stopping CM from making a "SuperRally" class of cars that essentially utilize the current WRC rules?  Base them all on the R5 cars and juice em up from a power and aero standpoint.

Polyphony Digital made their own "Group B Rally" cars out of a few cars in GT Sport, I presume CM could do the same.

gts_car_112.jpg

Edited by mwoodski
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, mwoodski said:

I mean, what's stopping CM from making a "SuperRally" class of cars that essentially utilize the current WRC rules?  Base them all on the R5 cars and juice em up from a power and aero standpoint.

Polyphony Digital made their own "Group B Rally" cars out of a few cars in GT Sport, I presume CM could do the same.

gts_car_112.jpg

I'd be down. Kind of like the way the Mustang and Camaro are just GT cars that CM seem to have "modified" to meet RGT requirements.

• Agree 2

Funny, I suggested going the GT Sport fantasy modern rally car route a few months ago and got chastised for it. Seems OK now for some reason. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mwoodski said:

gts_car_112.jpg

In the recent major esports event for GT Sport one of the races was those Gr.B cars on tarmac. So much lean and slide, but the racing was great 🙂 

yes is true look this idea for next year pass 😉 

the dream year pass  2 

season 1

week 1 toyota corolla (  polyphony D have toyota licences but maybe )

skoda   octavia  wrc 

week 3 galeway  rally 

week 5  Skoda fabia RX 

hyundai RX 

week 7 spa rallycross 

week 9  ferrari 308 GTB  ( group B rwd )

mazda RX7 ( group B rwd )

week 11  San remo  tarmac   rally 

season 2

week 1 subaru legacy ( group A )

toyota celica ( group A )

week 3 portugal rally

week 5  volkswagen RX2 

mini cooper RX ( from DR 1.0 )

week 7 new RX track ( choose because im not RX fan ) 😉

week 9  malaysia rally 

week 11 : citroen DS3 R5

: hyundai R5 

season 3

week 1  : new RX track 

week 3 : twingo RX s1600

citroen c2 RX s1600 

week 5   Kenya rally 

week 7 citroen saxo Kit car 

seat cordoba Wrc 

week 9  czech republic rally tarmac 

week 11  citroen xsara wrc 

subaru 22B wrc 

season 4

week 1 clio S1600 rally 

fiat punto S1600 rally 

week 3 france tarmac rally 

week 5  volvo 240 rally ( H3 rwD for nordik driver 😉 )

lada VFTS rally ( H3 russian driver no drink vodka before drive this car  😂 )

week 7 R8 gordini ( h1 rwd )

fiat 126 ( h1 rwd )

week 9 fiat 124  spider  rgt 

lotus exige rgt

other possibilitiy 

nissan pulsar GTi -R group A 

mazda 323 group A

opel astra  mk2 gte h2 fwd

mercedes 450 slc  h2 rwd

bmw 2002 h2 rwd  

renault 11 turbo h2 fwd 

suzuki swift s1600 

and ability to drive  with WRX in rally tracks in want see 600 hp rally modern 4wd in rallytracks

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

17 minutes ago, gk9147 said:

yes is true look this idea for next year pass 😉 

awesome but don't expect more seasons after January....

Edited by ianism
  • Like 1
  • Disagree 1

WRC license means to obey to FIA rules... this means:

- no more splits time

- no more clubs

- and so many others restrictions...

Are you sure you want it?!...

2 hours ago, ianism said:

awesome but don't expect more seasons after January....

maybe not or maybe yes , now  wait end of january

• Agree 1

On 9/7/2019 at 3:18 AM, RodgerDavies said:

Completely agree with you. I find the Hyundai and Toyota thing annoying, but the variety of cars is superb and the modern classes represent pretty much the top cars at every continental and national evert around the world - fingers crossed there's a "Year Two" pass one day with some more development of the historic and modern classes...

Wonder why we can’t have the i20 rallycross car though?

2 hours ago, chen255 said:

Licensing. 

For the most part I agree about the flexibility that not having the WRC license brings... that said, I would LOVE to drive the latest specification WRCars in DR2.0. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chen255 said:

Hyundai is one of the manufacturer teams in the WRC. probably related to that. even though it's an RX car, this is a game that competes directly with the WRC 😞

• Like 1

- ugh double post again -

Edited by ianism