Paying to retry?

I haven't had a chance to play the new update yet, but as I saw from the backlash on Twitter you now have to pay credits to retry a session? Is this true? What a load of BS. Those credits trickle out as it is and now they're finding ways to get you to spend them as fast as possible. Another example of how each update makes this game worse and worse.

Personally I think the changes are a really good thing. It makes it more like real racing, where if you mess up you mess up. Anyone can get a good lap time with infinite retries but to do put it all together with limited chances takes a bit more skill. It's not like to can't practice as much as you want in single mode beforehand.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

4 hours ago, SamuelMcSamFace said:

Personally I think the changes are a really good thing. It makes it more like real racing, where if you mess up you mess up. Anyone can get a good lap time with infinite retries but to do put it all together with limited chances takes a bit more skill. It's not like to can't practice as much as you want in single mode beforehand.

Yeah I guess I didn't look at it that way. That does make sense.

• Agree 1

I'd like to know how it's possible to do Monza in 52 seconds as the first ranked player has done. The lap record at Monza is a 1:19. The 52 second time shouldn't even be possible. This isn't Asphalt 9 where cars defy the laws of physics. And I personally don't think paid retries are an asset to the playing experience. I'm 5 seconds off my personal best because I don't want to push too hard and lose the few credits I have. So if I'm not doing my best, it's not delivering the best gaming experience for me. This is another example of the devs having their focus on revenue increases and nothing else. Each update is about plugging holes where money is leaking and can be retrieved.

I achieved my best ever performance last week at Spa because I pushed myself to the limit. But it took countless attempts to achieve 3 perfect laps and when I did it was heart pumping exhilaration. Isn't this what a good game should deliver? I won't be doing anything like that this weekend. Thanks Codemasters. Here's your new company slogan "the fun stops here"

Edited by Dr Zaius
  • Agree 2

it doesn’t make sense, because in a real GP you don’t just go out for one lap. if you want to charge us, then how about an out lap followed by at least two flying laps per session?

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, iainc said:

it doesn’t make sense, because in a real GP you don’t just go out for one lap. if you want to charge us, then how about an out lap followed by at least two flying laps per session?

That would be great. Plus how about not having a ghost car in front of you as you approach the braking markers at the first corner? 

• Agree 2

Two points that I want to agree / comment on.

Infinite retries - I prefer the new pay to retry as this then limits you from missing 1st corner so hitting retry. On same point, agree it should be more realistic with an out lap and two flying laps with best time of those two laps counting.

Point two, pole position time should be set more in line with actual F1 data, e.g they could use last years pole time at each circuit to determine what time we should set, and with that said, I’ve noticed some tracks if you cut corner too far you hit an brick wall. Make that applicable to all tracks she that racers have to stay on track.

• Agree 3

I just emerged from the Improve offer on old Events. My car is much faster now that it was then and indeed I set new lap records. But although promoted as Unlimited attempts, it's another paY to redo. A retry is 2 credits. If you make a mistake and try again, it's 4 credits, then 6....you get the idea. By the time I had finished qualifying, then three 3 lap races and not wanting to waste more credits I had moved up the ranking by a few hundred points. A total waste of time, but hurray Codemasters, you found another new way to get us to use up credits. 

I'll repeat myself again and say, paying to redo laps significantly hampers the urge to push yourself to be as fast as you can in favour of driving a safe, no error race, which is boring. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Dr Zaius said:

I'd like to know how it's possible to do Monza in 52 seconds as the first ranked player has done. The lap record at Monza is a 1:19. The 52 second time shouldn't even be possible. This isn't Asphalt 9 where cars defy the laws of physics. And I personally don't think paid retries are an asset to the playing experience. I'm 5 seconds off my personal best because I don't want to push too hard and lose the few credits I have. So if I'm not doing my best, it's not delivering the best gaming experience for me. This is another example of the devs having their focus on revenue increases and nothing else. Each update is about plugging holes where money is leaking and can be retrieved.

I achieved my best ever performance last week at Spa because I pushed myself to the limit. But it took countless attempts to achieve 3 perfect laps and when I did it was heart pumping exhilaration. Isn't this what a good game should deliver? I won't be doing anything like that this weekend. Thanks Codemasters. Here's your new company slogan "the fun stops here"

I drove 01:12.89 and with perfect sectors I could go 0.7 faster but thats about it.I don t see myself go several secondes faster than this…..

8 hours ago, elimmel said:

Missing sector timings again?

Yes,I think so too.It happened to me in Bahrain.After you finish sector 1 and enter sector 2 somehow  sector 1 get erased and your total time is just sector 2 and sector 3 combined….

I managed a 1:13.05 and that awarded me silver. They've really tightened up the Gold tier. As I said earlier all my events have been Gold and until now my ranking was Gold, but now I'm overall Silver. Does it help to demoralise consistent players? Am I supposed to buy a few thousand credits to collect go-fast parts? Nuh uh.... I'm not falling for that.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dr Zaius said:

I managed a 1:13.05 and that awarded me silver. They've really tightened up the Gold tier. As I said earlier all my events have been Gold and until now my ranking was Gold, but now I'm overall Silver. Does it help to demoralise consistent players? Am I supposed to buy a few thousand credits to collect go-fast parts? Nuh uh.... I'm not falling for that.

Look at that Leaderboard,lol…..Insane or not?

Italy GP Event Leaderboard.jpg

• Agree 2

Zero sector bug is back.

Remarkable they still can't get properly manage their software version control to prevent reintroducing old bugs.

• Agree 1

35 sec? Seriously! And they allow that?

this game starts to peezz me off and became unreal. You programmers might as well make the track straight and see who gets to the finish line fastest. No point of putting corners and turns.

Edited by RosAlfonz

another thing - don’t change the track immediately before implementing a pay to play scheme or at least warn us that the track has been changed.

i had to relearn monza due to the bits of wood added everywhere. gong through the chicanes was totally changed from previous races.

The race starts in an hour. I'm usually excited about this. Not this time because I know I can't push myself to do my best time. One tiny mistake that may cost me a second is something I have to live with because I am not prepared to pay for delivering my best performance. I'm sure we have all in the past stopped a race to begin again because we know we can do better. Shouldn't the race results represent our best times, not the times we settled on because we chose a safe drive to avoid losing credits? In the past I may make thirty or more tries just to get three perfect laps strung together. That's maybe a total of a hundred attempts. Now, what would that cost me in credits? This is a massive fail for what has been to this point in the game the only exciting aspect of racing. I lost interest in one lap duels and now, thanks Codemasters, I have lost interest in Events. Time to get the delete thumb ready.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

“One tiny mistake that may cost me a second is something I have to live with because I am not prepared to pay for delivering my best performance.“

Imagine what it’s like being an actual racing driver where one tiny mistake could cost you the race, your career or your life and you have zero opportunities to redo it. For me, this limit on retries adds a tiny fraction of that risk that is so inherent to motorsports and which the ability to retry indefinitely destroys.

5 minutes ago, SamuelMcSamFace said:

“One tiny mistake that may cost me a second is something I have to live with because I am not prepared to pay for delivering my best performance.“

Imagine what it’s like being an actual racing driver where one tiny mistake could cost you the race, your career or your life and you have zero opportunities to redo it. For me, this limit on retries adds a tiny fraction of that risk that is so inherent to motorsports and which the ability to retry indefinitely destroys.

Disagree. This is a game and as a game it should strive to allow us to push ourselves to produce the best times we can. This generates excitement and creates a compulsion in the player to keep coming back to do better. Where is the appeal in playing safe to avoid losing credits? Have you never hit the retry button? Or do you miss an apex, get an engine penalty and say, "well, I'll have to just cop it because this is F1?" No, I'm pretty sure you'd think, "I'll try that again and this time remember not to cut the corner" If total realism is what you're after and you haven't already worked out that F1 Mobile has no bearing on the real sport, you mustn't follow F1 because this is nothing like the real thing.

• Agree 2

On 9/6/2019 at 2:08 PM, SamuelMcSamFace said:

I totally disagree. In real racing you don't get to throw the stewards money for a retry. I do agree that unlimited retries takes away a lot of the skill, but this is a money grab, plain and simple, and it makes it pay to win. If they want to make it more realistic, make the retry free, but only give us a limited number (since in real F1 you have 2 or 3 chances to set a fast lap). 

Edited by spizzlo
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, ThiesTHL said:

do you also have to pay the retry credits if you have a season pass?

No sir

I agree that they needed to do something, but fix the ai first. How is it fair when I get hit in the back and get an engine penalty going into turn 1? 

Edited by Hunz2
  • Agree 1

Remember when this game first came out? Everything was free. Now more and more elements of this game are going behind the pay wall. Usually it's the other way around. I've never seen a game get more walled off over time. 

Also, we've been complaining about the ghost car for almost a year now. It's still there. 

On 7/9/2019 at 06:38, Pete74786 said:

Due punti che voglio concordare / commentare.

Tentativi infiniti: preferisco riprovare con la nuova retribuzione, in quanto ciò ti impedisce di perdere il 1 ° angolo, quindi colpisci nuovamente. Sullo stesso punto, concorda che dovrebbe essere più realistico con un giro esterno e due giri volanti con il miglior tempo di quei due giri contando.

Punto due, il tempo di pole position dovrebbe essere impostato più in linea con i dati F1 attuali, ad es. Potrebbero usare il tempo di pole position degli ultimi anni su ciascun circuito per determinare il tempo che dovremmo impostare e, detto ciò, ho notato alcune tracce se tagliate angolo troppo lontano hai colpito un muro di mattoni. Renderlo applicabile a tutte le piste che i corridori devono seguire.

Concordo certamente con te Io ti direi anche il pit stop per cambiare strategia di gara