Sign in to follow this  

Automatic Transmission for E-Sport Finals?!

Skimmed through the rulebook and noticed that in all finals (quarter, semi and final) have set in auto trans for everyone? 

Why is that? This would decrease the drivability quite a bit. You cant force Spin wheels with a lower gear or deliberately not spin in a higher. Especially an issue for locations with lots of tight acutes like Argentina and Monte

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, SkyRex said:

Skimmed through the rulebook and noticed that in all finals (quarter, semi and final) have set in auto trans for everyone? 

Why is that? This would decrease the drivability quite a bit. You cant force Spin wheels with a lower gear or deliberately not spin in a higher. Especially an issue for locations with lots of tight acutes like Argentina and Monte

That's amazing if that is true. 😮

I still hate that using a clutch typically means I'm at an automatic disadvantage to those that would rather use paddles on those cars.  Would be nice if proper transmission-use was included in assists. For wheel users, obviously. 

1 minute ago, DaleRossi said:

For wheel users, obviously. 

What about those who don't have an hbox to use? Or those who have purchased a dedicated sequential shifter? Neither of those require clutch, but in neither scenario is also unseen in real life. True dogbox setup means you don't need to clutch for each gear, you bang through them as fast as you can with your foot floored except for that 0.01 sec that you slightly lift to slam into the next gear.

2 minutes ago, Mike Dee said:

What about those who don't have an hbox to use? Or those who have purchased a dedicated sequential shifter? Neither of those require clutch, but in neither scenario is also unseen in real life. True dogbox setup means you don't need to clutch for each gear, you bang through them as fast as you can with your foot floored except for that 0.01 sec that you slightly lift to slam into the next gear.

True. Only a few cars have a dog box here, though. Really I'm most talking about h shifter Group B cars and have seen youtubers doing record laps using paddles when they clearly have 3 pedals and H shifters.  It's not that big of a deal. Suppose I could just set it to sequential, but I'd rather butcher the synchros manually.lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Dee said:

Regular manual gearboxes can also be driven similar to dogboxes. It’s just harder and a bit slower. Would be cool if that could be replicated in sims.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Gregow said:

But I do really want to want to pay for that.

I'm right there with you, I want to but I can't :classic_laugh: I mean that hbox alone costs more than the Accuforce I'm planning on buying...

19 minutes ago, Mike Dee said:

I'm right there with you, I want to but I can't :classic_laugh: I mean that hbox alone costs more than the Accuforce I'm planning on buying...

I got into this only two months ago so I have not yet started saving up for direct drive wheels, racing seats and rigs.

I did abuse an old MS Sidewinder way back when Richard Burns Rally was new. Got meself a G29 wheel this time. A new T300 should arrive tomorrow. I also need a new chair/seat...

Yeah, I suppose it’s time to start saving now.

• Like 1

Guess I should have read the damn rules. Just did RX and didnt realize you can only do it one time and one time only. lol The esports contests in Codies F1 allows unlimited tries. Oh well.

For future ones, Time Trial/Custom until you're confident, then go do it for real and nail it 🙂 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

For future ones, Time Trial/Custom until you're confident, then go do it for real and nail it 🙂 

Good to know, thanks.  It would be worth Codies putting a prominant message there, too.  There is nothing but a long list of T&Cs.

It seems auto is allowed for some stupid reason in the finals, but not enforced.  So you can at least drive normally if you get in.

Edited by bn880