Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Down For Maintenance | 26/07/2021 ×

Accuforce and Non supported wheel and pedals fix

Avenga76

FYI guys. Dirt Rally has the typical Codemasters problem where it will only work with wheels that it recognizes. At the moment that is only Fanatec, Logitech and Thrustmaster.

I have engineered a work around for those of your who have high end wheels. I still haven't got my DSD pedals going but that is my next step.

After this fix the Accuforce feels really good in Dirt Rally once you turn on the SimXperience FFB, miles better than the stock FFB and the cars feel so alive. This is a perfect example of when telemetry based FFB is better than canned in game FFB (No offence Codemasters and they are working on the FFB but at the moment your FFB sucks)

Guide to getting the Accuforce (Or any non-supported wheel) running in Dirt Rally

First up before I get in to the settings files I will give you a little primer on how I got this going for any of you who want to get another type of wheel going (Bodnar, OSW, ECCI etc)

Dirt Rally addresses controllers by their hardware ID

For the Accuforce it is shown like this {804C1FC9-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}

The last -0000-0000-0000-504944564944 is the same for all controllers so it is really the 804C1FC9 part which is unique to each wheel.

You can get this number from the registry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control \MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\ then find your wheel in there.

You want to find the Vendor ID and the Product ID, you enter it as {"PID""VID"-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}

This number will be how the codemaster config files recognizes your wheel.

So on to how to get the Accuforce going.

In ..\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\DiRT Rally\input create a file called SX_Accuforce.xml

Enter this text in to that XML file

<!-- Action map for the Accuforce-->
<ActionMap name="Accuforce" device_type="{804C1FC9-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}" priority="0">
  <!-- In Game Actions -->
  <Action id="Handbrake">
    <Axis id="di_button_12" />
  </Action>
  <Action id="Steer Left">
    <Axis id="di_x_axis" type="biDirLower" deadzone="0.0" saturation="1.0" />
  </Action>
  <Action id="Steer Right">
    <Axis id="di_x_axis" type="biDirUpper" deadzone="0.0" saturation="1.0" />
  </Action>
  <Action id="Change View">
    <Axis id="di_button_6" />
  </Action>
  <Action id="Gear Up">
    <Axis id="di_button_10" />
  </Action>
  <Action id="Gear Down">
    <Axis id="di_button_5" />
  </Action>
  <Action id="Look Left">
    <Axis id="di_button_2" />
  </Action>
  <Action id="Look Right">
    <Axis id="di_button_1" />
  </Action>
  <Action id="Look Up">
    <Axis id="di_button_3" />
  </Action>
  <Action id="Look Down">
    <Axis id="di_button_4" />
  </Action>
  <Action id="Look Back">
    <Axis id="di_button_14" />
  </Action>
  <Action id="Pause">
    <Axis id="di_button_79" />
    <Axis id="vk_code_0x1B" />
  </Action>
  <Action id="Instant Replay">
    <Axis id="" />
  </Action>
  <Action id="Boost">
    <Axis id="" />
  </Action>
  <Action id="Reset Vehicle">
  </Action>
  <!-- FE Actions -->
  <Action id="Menu Left">
  </Action>
  <Action id="Menu Right">
  </Action>
  <Action id="Menu Up">
  </Action>
  <Action id="Menu Down">
  </Action>
  <Action id="Menu Select">
  </Action>
  <Action id="Menu Back">
    <Axis id="di_button_7" />
  </Action>
  <Action id="Menu Button3">
    <Axis id="di_button_9" />
  </Action>
  <Action id="Menu Button4">
    <Axis id="di_button_8" />
  </Action>
  <Action id="Menu Start Button">
    <Axis id="di_button_13" />
  </Action>
  <Action id="Menu Left Shoulder">
  </Action>
  <Action id="Menu Right Shoulder">
    <Axis id="di_button_11" />
  </Action>
  <Action id="Fe View Tweak Left">
  </Action>
  <Action id="Fe View Tweak Right">
  </Action>
  <Action id="Fe View Tweak In">
    <Axis id="di_y_axis"          type="uniDirNeg" deadzone="0.0" saturation="1.0" />
  </Action>
  <Action id="Fe View Tweak Out">
    <Axis id="di_z_axis_rotation" type="uniDirNeg" deadzone="0.0" saturation="1.0" />
  </Action>
</ActionMap>

Next open the paths.xml in that same folder

add this text above <!-- Various configuration xml's -->

<xmlreader processor="Input" filename="input/SX_Accuforce.xml"          map="UPDATE" pool="UPDATE_TEMPORARY" userdata="presets" />

Go to ..\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\DiRT Rally\forcefeedback

Open devicesetup.xml

Add this above </FFBDevices>

<FFBDevice name="{804C1FC9-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}" scaleForce="2.0"  scaleFriction="1.0"  baseFriction="25.0" maxFriction="100.0"  scaleEffects="1.0" delay="0.0"/>

Next go in to the game and goto the controllers menu. then go to presets. Pick the (LNG_ACCUFORCE) preset.

This will set up your wheel and remove the deadzones. I have also bound all the buttons except the pedals. Menu navigation and look around are on the bottom left pod and Okay and Cancel are on the top left.

Because these is a non-standard wheel it looks like it won't save the changes you make so you might have to bind your pedals each time you start (This is a common and old problem with Codemasters games)

Next you want to do the Sim Commander side of things. The in game FFB is horrible but the good news is that the SimXperience FFB works great, the car feels really alive with heaps of that counter steering force. Also turn on road bumps because they are truly amazing. It is so bumpy and the shocks are so violent that it feels just like the rocky roads you are driving on (Try the Greece rally because those roads are crazy bumpy, it reminds me of rallying on the gravel roads here in New Zealand)

For now you will have to use the Dirt 2 plugin and manually change some settings and fool Sim Commander a little it.

First up go to ..documents/My Games/Dirt Rally/Hardwaresettings folder and edit the hardware_settings_config.xml

Change this line to: <motion enabled="true" extradata="3" delay="1" port="10001" ip="127.0.0.1"/>

if you don't have Dirt 2 you will need to create the config files so Sim Commander can modify them.

You need to create ../documents/My Games/Dirt2/Hardwaresettings/hardware_settings_config.xml

Just copy the one from documents/My Games/Dirt Rally/Hardwaresettings

This is how you need to set up your game profile.

Next I set up my game profile. I pretty much used the stock settings except I turned off the game FFB and turned on the SimXperience FFB (I highly recommend that because the game FFB just feels like a whole bunch of friction)

I found this worked best at around 400 degrees of rotation but you could go as low as 360

I turned on road bumps, this makes a massive difference. I just left that pretty much stock but increase the intensity to 100%

I increased the SimXperience FFB to 150%. the Auto tune put me at about 225% but I felt that was too much. That pretty much controls how much pull you get on the counter steer etc so just tune that to your liking.

I was thinking of adding some dynamic oscillation control but I didn't have enough time to test it. I think that would probably work pretty well in this game.

Auto tuning does work in this game. It works really well for the GS-4, out of the box the bumps are a bit extreme on the GS-4 so either turn them down a bit or auto tune just the GS-4.

I don't have my Sim Vibe hooked up atm so I can't test those but they should work fine.

This is only a base setup and I will tweak it more once I get my pedals going (I was using the paddles for gas and brake which was a pain)

I hope this helps some of you.
Update

I managed to get my DSD pedals working in Dirt Rally.

I had to modify my controller preset with my pedals. I set my Accuforce to device 0 and my DSD pedal to device 1.

I then set all the binding for the pedals in the XML file and then they started working.

You need to have both your wheel and pedals set up in the same profile for this to work.

If you are having troubles with your pedals, please try this and let me know if this method worked for you. I got it going on my system but I would love to make sure my process works for others.

Here is a copy of my new controller preset. This works with the Accuforce and DSD pedals. If you have a different combination of unsupported devices then you would need to edit the hardware IDs as described in my earlier post.

<!-- Action map for the Accuforce With DSD pedals-->
<ActionMap name="Accuforce With DSD pedals" device_type_0="{804C1FC9-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}"
device_type_1="{1CB004D8-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}"priority="0"
shouldbindalldevicetypes="true">
  <!-- In Game Actions -->
  <Action id="Accelerate">
    <Axis id="di_x_axis_rotation" type="uniDirPos" deadzone="0.0" saturation="1.0" restricted_device="{1CB004D8-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}" />
  </Action>
  <Action id="Brake">
    <Axis id="di_z_axis_rotation"          type="uniDirPos" deadzone="0.0" saturation="1.0" restricted_device="{1CB004D8-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}" />
  </Action>
  <Action id="Clutch">
    <Axis id="di_y_axis_rotation"        type="uniDirPos" deadzone="0.2" saturation="0.8" restricted_device="{1CB004D8-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}" />
  </Action>
  <Action id="Handbrake">
  </Action>
  <Action id="Steer Left">
  </Action>
  </Action>
  </Action>
  <Action id="Gear Up">
  </Action>
  <Action id="Gear Down">
  </Action>
  <Action id="Look Left">
  </Action>
  <Action id="Look Right">
  </Action>
  <Action id="Look Up">
  </Action>
  <Action id="Look Down">
  </Action>
  <Action id="Look Back">
  </Action>
  <Action id="Pause">
  </Action>
    <Axis id="" />
  </Action>
  <Action id="Boost">
    <Axis id="" />
  </Action>
  </Action>
  <!-- FE Actions -->
  <Action id="Menu Left">
  </Action>
  <Action id="Menu Right">
  </Action>
  <Action id="Menu Up">
  </Action>
  <Action id="Menu Down">
  </Action>
  </Action>
  <Action id="Menu Back">
  </Action>
  </Action>
  </Action>
  </Action>
  </Action>
  </Action>
  </Action>
  </Action>
    <Axis id="di_y_axis"          type="uniDirNeg" deadzone="0.0" saturation="1.0" />
  </Action>
    <Axis id="di_z_axis_rotation" type="uniDirNeg" deadzone="0.0" saturation="1.0" />
  </Action>
</ActionMap>

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys.

So I have managed to fix the "Save game" bug that you get if you use my Accuforce fix.

Basically you can't create a new controller XML file in the input folder, you need to overwrite an existing file (in this case I am reusing the lg_momo_racing.xml file but it could be any XML) 

I am not sure why this is the case but I have found another workaround.

I will include two fixes. The first is complete instructions for if you haven't used my fix before and the second is how to change the XML files if you have already done my fix.

Remember to back up these files to another folder before editing them

New Accuforce fix that doesn't break saved games

Step 1

Go to \SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\DiRT Rally\input

Open lg_momo_racing.xml

Replace the contents with the following XML then save.

<!-- Action map for the Accuforce-->
<ActionMap name="Accuforce" device_type="{804C1FC9-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}" priority="0">
  <!-- In Game Actions -->
  <Action id="Handbrake">
  </Action>
  <Action id="Steer Left">
  </Action>
  </Action>
  </Action>
  <Action id="Gear Up">
  </Action>
  <Action id="Gear Down">
  </Action>
  <Action id="Look Left">
  </Action>
  <Action id="Look Right">
  </Action>
  <Action id="Look Up">
  </Action>
  <Action id="Look Down">
  </Action>
  <Action id="Look Back">
  </Action>
  <Action id="Pause">
  </Action>
    <Axis id="" />
  </Action>
  <Action id="Boost">
    <Axis id="" />
  </Action>
  </Action>
  <!-- FE Actions -->
  <Action id="Menu Left">
  </Action>
  <Action id="Menu Right">
  </Action>
  <Action id="Menu Up">
  </Action>
  <Action id="Menu Down">
  </Action>
  </Action>
  <Action id="Menu Back">
  </Action>
  </Action>
  </Action>
  </Action>
  </Action>
  </Action>
  </Action>
  </Action>
  </Action>
  </Action>
</ActionMap>

Step 2

Open devicesetup.xml

Find

<!-- Logitech Momo Racing -->
<FFBDevice name="{CA03046D-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}" scaleForce="2.0" scaleFriction="0.25" baseFriction="0.0" maxFriction="25.0" scaleEffects="1.0" delay="0.0"/>

Replace with

<FFBDevice name="{804C1FC9-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}" scaleForce="2.0"  scaleFriction="1.0"  baseFriction="-25.0" maxFriction="100.0"  scaleEffects="1.0" delay="0.0"/>

Step 3

Follow the rest of my original guide from when I start talking about the in game controller window.

From this line

Next go in to the game and goto the controllers menu. then go to presets. Pick the (LNG_ACCUFORCE) preset.
 How to fix my fix if you have already applied it

Step 1

Delete lg_momo_racing.xml

Step 2

Rename SX_Accuforce.xml to lg_momo_racing.xml

Step 3

Open Paths.xml

Delete this line

<xmlreader processor="Input" filename="input/SX_Accuforce.xml"          map="UPDATE" pool="UPDATE_TEMPORARY" userdata="presets" />

Step 4

Open devicesetup.xml

Delete

<FFBDevice name="{804C1FC9-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}" scaleForce="2.0"  scaleFriction="1.0"  baseFriction="25.0" maxFriction="100.0"  scaleEffects="1.0" delay="0.0"/>

Find

<FFBDevice name="{CA03046D-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}" scaleForce="2.0" scaleFriction="0.25" baseFriction="0.0" maxFriction="25.0" scaleEffects="1.0" delay="0.0"/>

Replace with

<FFBDevice name="{804C1FC9-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}" scaleForce="2.0"  scaleFriction="1.0"  baseFriction="-25.0" maxFriction="100.0"  scaleEffects="1.0" delay="0.0"/>

Thanks! I can now save my progress! I must admit my accuforce + gs4 + simvibe is pretty good already even if the game is in beta stage. Can't wait for codemaster to fine tune theirs physics a little bit. Will play many hours on this title.
trasholi said:
Thanks! I can now save my progress! I must admit my accuforce + gs4 + simvibe is pretty good already even if the game is in beta stage. Can't wait for codemaster to fine tune theirs physics a little bit. Will play many hours on this title.
Thanks.

Yup, I have the similar combo, Accuforce + GS4 + Sim Vibe + DIY 2 DOF motion simulator and it is very cool.

• 4 weeks later...
The game is pretty cool with the GS4 and AccuForce.

I hope that codemastes will introduce a controler setting like in F1 2014 which allows us to set the controler type and edit the assignments with out have to edit the controler.xml files

• 1 month later...
As some of you might know Codemasters has finally listened to us and added the ability for us to override our controllers and set them as a wheel (Thanks heaps Codemaster)

Also they have changed the XML format for motion so if you are using SimCommander then you will need to update the ..documents/My Games/Dirt Rally/Hardwaresettings/hardware_settings_config.xml file to

<motion_platform>
<dbox enabled="true" />
<udp enabled="true"
extradata="2" ip="127.0.0.1" port="10001" delay="1" />
</motion_platform>

The New New Accuforce and Direct drive wheel fix

The first step is the remove my old fix. I don't know if this is totally necessary but I think it best to start from scratch just in case there is any conflicts. If you have never applied my original fix the jump to step 5

Step 1

Delete or move the Forcefeedback and Input folders

Step 2

Go to Steam, right click on Dirt Rally then click on properties, then go to local files then click on "Verify integrity of game cache"

Step 3

Wait for the validation to complete

Step 4

When the validation is complete you should see "41 files failed to validate and will be reacquired" That is Steam fancy talk for "Steam has downloaded the missing files automatically for you" At this stage your controller files will be like they were after a fresh install so we can move on to the new features.

Step 5 

Go in to the controller preset section. You will see the new Override Device Type!!!

Step 6

There is no way to tell which device is your wheel so set them all to wheel. In this screenshot I have my wheel, pedals, sequential shifter and H-Pattern plugged in. It doesn't cause a problem if you set them all to wheel. You can select any of the device presets and you will set which device is used for steering in the next step

Step 7

Now you will start with a blank slate. Start off by binding your steering. Note, you will not see the advanced wheel options yet. You will see them after you have bound both steering axis

Step 8

When you are binding the steering you should see the wheel icon. If you see this it means that you have successfully overridden the controller type, but you won't see the advanced options until you bind both steering axis

Step 9

Now that you have bound both steering axis it will grey out the wheel bindings and enable the advanced wheel options!! yay!!!

Step 10

Bind the rest of your controls

Step 11

go in to advanced wheel options and  you will see that deadzones are back

Step 12

Remove all the deadzones and turn on softlock

Step 13

Scroll down to Calibrate Device. You should see the name of your wheel controller. Click enter to calibrate.

Step 14 

Move your wheel all the way to the lock. You can now use 900 degree and the same will automatically adjust it to match the car like in iRacing or Assetto Corsa etc. The in game wheel animations will still be at 180 degrees

Step 15

Turn your wheel to 90 degrees, it should be very close to what you have set in SimCommander or your wheel software

Step 16

Calibrate your pedals

Step 17

Test your wheel and pedals. If they are working properly then click apply settings

Step 18

Go in to the Vibration and feedback page and change these to your preference. The scope of this tutorial doesn't cover what settings to use in this section, this comes down to personal preference and there are other articles which cover these settings in more detail. The only thing I would recommend is to turn the wheel friction all the way down, if not off completely because it makes the wheel feel really heavy and dead, with it turned down the cars feel much more alive.

Step 19

Another thing that the new options allow is the ability to use a clutch and H-Pattern. To change this got to your driver profile

Step 20

Now you should see the clutch and H-pattern bindings in the controller setup

Now everything should be up and running with the game FFB

I hope you guys find this guide useful
Thanks. I haven't had any time to do any actual driving. I spent all night writing this guide so I have only done about half a stage. The game FFB feels promising at first glance, definitely turn down the in game wheel friction and maybe the self aligning torque. You probably need to turn down the overall FFB. 

The foundation ffb did feel more natural with slides but I am sure with some tweaks you could get the game FFB feeling better. 
Slowish said:
Thanks to Avenga76 for the setup guide - great work!

I much prefer the FFB by SC4 in  Dirt Rally; it provides much greater range of adjustment IMO.
That seems to be the common feedback from people who have tried the game FFB vs the SimXperience FFB.

It is great that we have the option to use our own FFB.
Avenga76, have you found that this game needs some damping with the accuforce?  I'm using an OSW direct drive.  The wheel friction setting isn't helpful, but the direct drive moves so quickly that I wonder if it might need some damping.

I am not happy with the feel of the FFB setup, it feels way too dead when the steering is pointing straight ahead.  I want to be sense more road undulation, grip levels and car movement through the wheel.

Tyre friction doesn't seem very useful, the suspension slider just makes it bumpy and annoying, collision only gives you a whack when you hit something, and self aligning torque is either too grunty when it loads up or not communicative enough when you're going straight.

Any suggestions?
Yeah. I had that problem also.

I did a lot of playing around with it last night.

I found that if  turn down the "ScaleForce" then it helps a lot. I think what they are doing is scaling up the force so they feel quick enough on something like a CSW but then when you go to a Direct Drive wheel like the ones we have then they are too quick and powerful so this scaling to too much.

I had a look in the FFB device setup xml and I saw that for the Bodnar they have dropped the "ScaleForce" down to 0.5, I tried this and it felt better.

It tried turning even further to 0.1 and it feels a lot less aggressive and you can feel more road feel I think. 

I think with a direct drive wheel the game is just trying to over drive the wheel as if it was a less powerful wheel.

The funny thing is no matter what I do I can not bring the overall level down. I did some graphs last light while driving and even with all the FFB slides turned down and the "ScaleForce" turned right down it was still hitting 100%. I can turn the Accuforce down so the wheel doesn't clip but it still clips the game FFB so instead of clipping at 100% wheel torque it is clipping at 75% wheel torque. I think this is just the way they have programmed it. I think the overall game FFB is set at 100% and the FFB sliders in the menus just change how much of each effect are present in that 100% game FFB.

It works like the EQ on a home stereo. The FFB sliders in the menu are like the sliders on the EQ, so you can add a little more bass or treble (in our case things like wheel friction and self aligning torque) But there is separate to the main volume on a stereo and in the game I think that main volume slider is stuck on 100%. Imagine if you turned your home stereo up to full, it would clip like crazy and no amount of tweaking with the EQ is going to stop this clipping unless you can turn down the master volume. That is what I am seeing in the graphs, I have found no way to turn the peaks down at all, no matter what they will hit 100%

That is what I think is wrong with the FFB in Dirt Rally and that is more clear on a direct drive wheel because most normal wheels you wouldn't be able to feel it. The most common feedback that I get is that the SimXperience FFB is better than the in game FFB and I think this is the reason. With the SimXperience FFB I can control that master volume for the FFB as well as the wheel volume.

I am not sure how and if you can change that but as you said in one of your other posts  we need to turn the FFB down to about 75% and I don't think the in game sliders or the Scaleforce does this.

For other who want to play around is the Scale force

Open devicesetupV2.xml

Add this above </FFBDevices>

<FFBDevice name="{804C1FC9-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}" scaleForce="0.5"  scaleFriction="1.0"/>

(Change the FFBDevice name is you are using a different wheel, that one is for the AF)
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I have been sitting with an OSW small mige in front of dirt for the last three days... all of your post are exactly the same as my thoughts of DIRT's useless ffb.. IS the recent update in the message(to scale down friction and etc in the files) still the best option ?  Thanks !
  • 3 months later...

Archived