Sign in to follow this  

Things WRC8 does better

Not a bash thread, just things that I'd like to see from WRC8 that aren't really in DR2.0

- Much more realistic colour palette, Codies seem to favour the bright and colourful approach https://imgur.com/a/jTRwgR6
- Way more weather/time options. Dirt really struggles here, in WRC you can get actual clear skies, actual overcast skies and everything else. Dirt is very stylised, seems aimed at taking fancy screenshots.
- Dashcam (coming to DR2.0 finally)
- Haptic feedback
- Long stages, especially the new ones - are great and offer something different to Dirt.

Of course, there are things Dirt does much better too. Anything else to add for people who have tried both?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Handbrake. You can set sensitivity of your handbrake in WRC 8
  • Dynamic weather
  • Better UI  (more detailed options with tooltips)
  • Menu navigation (no veriety of buttons for the same action like in DR 2.0)
  • Last  action / event (highlghted / added a dedicated menu item to quick access) << very useful

- Dedicated (push)button for Reverse
- detailed tyre wear statistic after a stage

• Agree 2

I disagree about the first point. WRC 8 just like the first DiRT Rally suffer from the "bleack and bluish is realistic" fallacy, which is common among those who are not used to observing colors directly from reality but are rather unpracticed and influenced by photos and video. Sure, DR 2 is somewhat stylized but certainly not less realistic than WRC 8.

- sense of speed, glaringly obvious when going back to Dirt Rally how slow it seems.
- tarmac handling is much more fun in WRC8. Tarmac stages are awesome too... 
- Modern WRC cars are just a lot of fun and noticeably quicker/nimbler than the R5's
- The test area puts Dirt to shame, so much to explore and heaps of variation.
- You pick the stage and you get straight into the stage, no waiting around for the pre-stage sequence and useless pre-stage notes. The whole menu process is so quick and it remembers it all
- no post-stage comments from co-driver
- co driver voice, while not amazing... still sounds like he's actually reading through an intercom - not sitting down for story time. Wish Dirt would make it sound a bit more realistic.

Edited by marts
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I do agree with most of that @marts, but the sense of speed seems really odd to me in WRC8.  Like you're going slowly, then as soon as you accelerate you seem to pick up speed very quickly, and then don't seem to get much faster as you go up the gears.  It feels odd to me, but that may be because I play DR2 exclusively in VR, so coming back to a flat screen is quite jarring.  I'd love WRC8 to support VR too.

3 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

I do agree with most of that @marts, but the sense of speed seems really odd to me in WRC8.  Like you're going slowly, then as soon as you accelerate you seem to pick up speed very quickly, and then don't seem to get much faster as you go up the gears.  It feels odd to me, but that may be because I play DR2 exclusively in VR, so coming back to a flat screen is quite jarring.  I'd love WRC8 to support VR too.

Do you have dynamic FOV on? Maybe that's it, I have it off.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, marts said:

Possibly, I'll have a look for the option when I get home!  It did feel like there was something weird going on so may well be the issue.

Does that cause the odd black shadow to appear at the top of the screen when you brake?

Edited by SharkyOB

2 hours ago, marts said:

100% ON. very annoying feature BTW

5 hours ago, marts said:

- co driver voice, while not amazing... still sounds like he's actually reading through an intercom - not sitting down for story time. Wish Dirt would make it sound a bit more realistic.dited 5 hours ago by marts

Agree. While previous CMR games used technics to distort voices to hear comes via intercom, Dirt Rally (4) 2.0 games left this feature...
Not a hard job to run a 8 bit sequence on all pacenotes audio files and repack them again and users could get by future updates

Edited by RallyLover19

Jumps and bumps. DR2 is just casual whereas WRC 8 makes you consider how bumps upset the car, and landing can be harsh. In DR you just floor it, where you should end up hugging a tree.

In DR you have no bumbs upsetting the car properly. Jumps and bumps are smooth and nice. WRC 8 at least makes you consider this. Not as RBR where you done ****** up if you don't, but still.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, marts said:

I did have this switched on as I hadn't found it initially, due to it only being in the options if you pause during play, rather than in the main menus, which seems like an odd design choice!

Turning it (and camera shake) off makes things much better, so thanks for the tip 😊

The dynamic FOV also does cause a black border to appear at the top of the screen when braking, which again is a very strange feature.