DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

Please review the co driver on dirt rally 2.0

On 10/17/2019 at 6:18 PM, ewandwhoelse said:

Just hold off on the judging other people as sucking yeah? He's having fun with the game. Maybe say he's slow, rather than "sucks", it's all relative.

i think we found the guy in the video :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 1

A useful pacenote editor would welcome!
Every player should write their own pacenotes, even for their uploaded language voice files (albanian, mongolian, hungarian, swedish, arabs, heber etc.) .

• Thanks 1

Which likely not gonna happen for DR2 IMO.
So please stick with realistic demands 😉

BTW IMO pacenotes are recorded for each track separately as continuous stream of seamless commands somehow synchronized with pace.
It's not database of words/commands played back when needed. It might make whole editing harder.

• Haha 1

i think we need stone warning and no mixed language as withe the german co-pilot she speeks germand an english.....

Edited by gleylancer571

On 10/19/2019 at 5:27 PM, Tranzitive said:

i think we found the guy in the video :classic_biggrin:

I don't post videos of my gameplay. But hey, keep up the stereotype of sim game players 😉

On 10/21/2019 at 2:15 PM, MaXyMsrpl said:

Which likely not gonna happen for DR2 IMO.
So please stick with realistic demands 😉

BTW IMO pacenotes are recorded for each track separately as continuous stream of seamless commands somehow synchronized with pace.
It's not database of words/commands played back when needed. It might make whole editing harder.

Lol that's not how pacenotes are recorded, are you a simpleton? If you drive really slowly or just stop he doesn't keep reading the notes for corners miles ahead. They are separately recorded clips which are inserted when your car reaches a certain point on the track. It IS indeed a database of words which are played back when needed, that's EXACTLY what it is.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ewandwhoelse said:

Lol that's not how pacenotes are recorded, are you a simpleton? If you drive really slowly or just stop he doesn't keep reading the notes for corners miles ahead. They are separately recorded clips which are inserted when your car reaches a certain point on the track. It IS indeed a database of words which are played back when needed, that's EXACTLY what it is.

*Ahem*..: http://blog.codemasters.com/community/10/dr20-co-drivercalls/

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, baunau said:

You've just backed up what he said. It may be recorded all at once, but the audio is clearly broken up to match up with specific points the player has reached. As has been pointed out, if you stop in the middle of a race, the calls don't just keep going without you.

6 hours ago, redrook said:

You've just backed up what he said. It may be recorded all at once, but the audio is clearly broken up to match up with specific points the player has reached. As has been pointed out, if you stop in the middle of a race, the calls don't just keep going without you.

Not quite. His claim was that the pacenotes are all "separately recorded clips" and it's all a "database of words which are played back when needed", which to me suggests that any given pacenote was simply recorded once and re-used, e.g. all '2 right' calls would sound the same. Of course the audio has to be triggered at specific points throughout the stages, I made no claim to the contrary and neither did the other guy (worded as "somehow synchronized with pace").
Nitpicking, sure, but it was his derogatory tone towards a person who (for the most part) got it right that just irked me.

Posted (edited)
On 10/17/2019 at 9:18 PM, ewandwhoelse said:

Just hold off on the judging other people as sucking yeah? He's having fun with the game. Maybe say he's slow, rather than "sucks", it's all relative.

I'd like to add to the above complaints about the co-driver, which I completely agree with, and say that his little post-race comments are infuriating. "lets check the tyres" and "that felt fast" needs to stop. There's only a few of them you hear them every damn time. 

Yeah, that infuriates me also. I just did a s**t run with lots of crashes and he says "that felt fast". Im like bull****, shut the f up!"

Edited by Azwaroo11

Just now, Azwaroo11 said:

Yeah, that infuriates me also. I just did a **** run with lots of crashes and he says "that felt fast". Im like "********, shut the f up!"

There is an option to turn off the post-race comments, was added in an update after being requested a million times. So turn them off. Game is a lot better without those

I didnt have any issues with calls in DR1 except for the occational late call that put me off a cliff at 100km/hr....but these were rare.

My main gripe in DR2 is the number of calls that are "tightens" or "opens" when in reality they are just the adjacent level of corner. eg. "2 tightens" is really just a 1 as it was too short a corner to change mid point. Removing this fluff would make calls a lot quicker and easier to interpret (of course there are corners where this call is useful, but DR2.0 on some tracks does it for every second corner)

I've also noted so many corners where the level is out by 2 or more. eg a 2 was actually a hairpin.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, HoksuHoo said:

There is an option to turn off the post-race comments, was added in an update after being requested a million times. So turn them off. Game is a lot better without those

Thanks, didnt see that.

Edited by Azwaroo11

On 3/7/2020 at 11:50 PM, redrook said:

Not in all cases (nit picking). Somtimes 3x calls are played as a single track. Ever crash and have him give 3 corners while your in the process of turning around?

I made a post on here titled “Final DR2.0 Thoughts” that agrees with this post 100%. Here are my thoughts on the co-driver from DR2.0:
Inconsistent Pacenotes - Another fairly major gripe for me with this game is the quality of the pacenotes. I'm not a real rally driver, I've never done it in real life, but if Dirt Rally 2.0 Phil Mills was my real life co-driver, he would've got a gloved hand across his helmet. I'm sure my rally fans here would know when I refer to the rally drivers who yell at their co-driver when notes are wrong and/or the timing is off. That's how I feel with this game. I only have 90% confidence in the notes, and in rally, you need 110% confidence in the notes. I have the timing of the notes to almost the earliest, and it's not consistent. Sometimes it's three corners ahead. Sometimes I'm going through the hairpin when being told it's a 1-right. In Spain, it seems to me that there are "Don't cut" notes missing, through some of the quick winding parts, when there is a guardrail on the inside of the corner that I flip over from trying to cut. In my experience (and in Jon Armstrong's video about pace notes), the number of the corner USUALLY corresponds to the gear you can take it in. I don't feel confident in these pacenotes enough to really do that. There is a corner in Germany that used to be a "5-left, be brave" that, if I'm thinking of it correct, is a "2-left" in DR2.0, just because it is a slightly acute angle. Time is of the essence in rally, of course, and I did have to re-evaluate how I drive and adjusted my racing lines in some stages,  but these notes just always seem a little off. I also miss the "acute hairpin," other "hairpin" calls, or even "square left/right" from previous titles, as the turns now seem to be more "1-left or 2-right". The hairpin calls seemed more accurate to me.“ 

Further to the above, I am lucky enough to own both Dirt Rally and DR2.0, and one of the stages in Finland, I struggle on in Dirt Rally 2.0 where I’m fine in Dirt Rally. The course is Kailajarvi. Here is the big difference in calls where I always struggle:

Dirt Rally: 

Right 6 tightens 4, jump maybe (1/2 way thru stage)

Right 5 long over bridge don’t cut (2/3 way through stage) 

Same parts of stage in DR2.0:

5 right over crest, 50 (I always fly off the stage into an electric pole)

6 right tightens over crest, narrow (I fly over the crest and smash into the bridge railing)

In my opinion, the calls in Dirt Rally better indicate the turns. I’d rather have a lower call and be able to go faster, rather than it be called a 6 when it should be a 4 or 5. There’s another part in Kailajarvi that’s a 4 left over crest with rocks outside, that Paul mentions the rocks in DR, but DR2.0 doesn’t mention rocks at all. 
As much as I like DR2.0, the problem with the pacenotes really makes it difficult to fully enjoy because it’s not much fun wrecking every other stage. 😕

• Thanks 1